• Published 6th Oct 2023
  • 210 Views, 0 Comments

Warsong: Primordial Conflict - Jumping Jack



With war over the horizon, the quest to search for the remaining three power elements, as well as saving their realm, continues.

  • ...
 0
 210

Chapter 11: A Tactical Setback

Thi Billet's POV

I groggily woke up with a numbing pain in my face and down my body. The Triad didn’t hold back while I was in the brig. My body ached through every single course trial they could throw at me. And when they were done, they helped themselves to a good ol’ sandbag beat down. But this was supposed to happen.

It was all a part of the plan to expose EMI once more. It was just dumb luck that Fie and my friends were in town. I heard from the radio a week back before that Fie had been the epicenter of a borderline riot in Canterlot. My heart sang with joy that my best gal was okay and alive. Not that she shouldn’t be alive. If she was killed, Equestria is doomed, in fact, if any of the seven are killed, that’s it.

While I yearned to seek her out and bring her back home, something else came up that I had no choice but to tackle. All across Equestria, the Triad have planted agents in key areas and started to construct some facilities in off hidden corners that the sisters don’t have eyes on. Which were mainly old, decrepit ruins. Fitting for a corporate cult militia. However, there were also signs of moles being planted as well.

For four weeks I ended up getting into contact with old friends and acquaintances in order to gather intel. And with Fie having been found the week after the fourth week, I felt a lot of tension leave. And yet, despite all that I’ve been doing, I felt awful. It’s no shock I’m not the best when it comes to rational decisions. I wanted to make it up to her way more than I said I would previously before Hoofington.

I’m the worst best friend ever. I was hoping our reunion would be over drinks, some playful banter and maybe an argument or two. Not in a containment cell on a cargo ship. What made the plan even more complicated was Xena being the first one to approach my friends. The newest member to my old mercenary group. Her acting talents were insane. A recent S.M.I.L.E. Agent graduated from the Department of Secrecy, her internship with H.U.N.T. was rather short as she had exceeded every aspect and expectation the anti-Triad organization threw at her.

Because of this, she got assigned a top-class operation. Being a double agent to the Triad. They told her “make it convincing”. She did just that on the cargo ship operation. I was only lucky enough to ask the dumb question to her before sneaking onto the ship:

“They don’t take a zebra as a Triad. How can you convince them?” She only gave a small smirk and before I knew it, I was in a brig with an annoyingly pleased General Lilac on a screen, gloating about their new operative they had recently brought on board by chance. Funny enough, it was the same time she joined H.U.N.T.

I can’t wait for Lo Mein and Xena to clash. If... it even happens. H.U.N.T. lost contact with my old friend back on the Nilneigh Isles. Lo Mein, a master assassin and covert operative to the anti-organization. She still left a sour taste in my mouth. Escaping with the very serum that the Triad were experimenting on. And one that Flitter was unfortunately the subject of testing on. Thinking back on this, have all my choice made till now been worth it? I chuckled weakly to myself.

'Hell no, Thi. What the hell were you thinking hopping on that boat and not telling your best friend about it?' I thought to myself. Everything hurts. My forelegs above my head as I hung with my hindhooves unable to touch the ground. They had smuggled me into a warehouse while Fie was caged like an animal and wheeled elsewhere. Scribble and the sisters were feigned as employees and were led elsewhere. More than likely being enslaved by the Centurions here in Roam. King Leo and his centurion army still hold tremendous power here in Roam. It doesn't help that Queen Zeuli is an oracle with the ability of foresight. Something that would be hard to believe, if magic wasn't a thing. I have no doubt in my mind that the "good queen" has some mystical ability to see a future of an individual. My thoughts were completely interrupted when I heard the door creak open and a couple of Triad guards walked in. One of them was sharply dressed, which means he is of higher power to the casual uniformed one. He gave a disappointed look.

"Still breathing? You're one tough mare to break." He sighed. I could only smirk, ignoring the pain as I did. The casual uniformed one cocked an arc pistol and aimed it. He began pulling the trigger and to my dumb luck and surprise again, the gun jammed. The casual pony blinked confusedly at the pistol. The sharp one rolled his eyes, took the gun in his wing and unjammed it before popping one at the pony's foreleg, causing him to reel forward and yelling in pain. "Sit down and don't be a nuisance, cadet." He ordered the pony, who was shakily nursing his foreleg. I slumped.

"If I'd known I was going to be beaten by the peanut gallery once more, you should just put confetti in me and that'll be your pleasant reward for actual competence." I rasped. The sharp dressed stallion looked unamused at me.

"We were given strict orders not to injure you too much. Our guest won't have it." He stated. I chuckled painfully.

"What? The 'good king' is in attendance today? How long has it been since the Triad have done anything to win Roam over?" I asked sarcastically. The stallion shrugged.

"That's not up for me to debate. I didn't want to be here, but I lost a bet and now I'm here. So just do me a favor and shut up." He replied, pulling up a small crate and sitting down on it, withdrawing his arc pistol and doing a routine maintenance. I grinned and motioned at the cadet.

"You should watch, cadet. I'm two and oh with Triad trying to shoot me point blank right now." I rasped. The cadet looked a bit startled but proceeded to limp over to a spool table and continue to nurse his wound. I shook my head softly and continued the hang there. I didn't have the energy to be nimble enough to get out of here. They beat me enough to ensure it. But I had to get out of here. Right about now, Fie would begin to fight in the Underworld Arena for entertainment from all of Roam's supporters. I also heard that both the king and queen are going to be present, leaving their body doubles to manage things for a while. I've done my own reconnaissance in Roam years ago to understand most things here. Roam, the city of debauchery and ancestry. The Capitol Land of War and potential ally to whatever warring side should they win them over. I've been tasked with my group to sabotage intel from Pony Land at the time. Redirecting the traffic to our own systems to collect points of interest for potential future bases. All it ended up being was a conspiracy about the king and queen and having that being blackmailed. Of course, Roam somehow managed to deny and erase that information without anycreature knowing, which stumped both sides. At least the information was archived enough to put back together.

However, there wasn't much we could do and unfortunately had to attend business elsewhere. My thoughts were once again interrupted as my ear flicked. I heard what sounded like shouting and a struggle. The two other ponies looked up and the sharp one motioned for the cadet to stay there as they grabbed their arc weapons. Taking point on one side, the sharp pony slowly opened the door, only to be met with a fierce buck that sent him toppling to the ground.

I watched as a fully dressed in armor pony jump in, disarm the pony before sticking something sharp into him. The cadet took aim and fired off shots, striking the armored pony and causing the attacker to let out a winded breath and fall over. Another figure hopped in, only this time with an arc carbine and popped one in between the cadet’s muzzle. The cadet went limp behind the spool table. The armored pony with the carbine waved the rifle around before slinging it over their back and checking on the other one.

They sighed in relief before helping them up and turning to me. I eyed the two suspiciously. The one with the carbine removed the face helm and a handsome zebra smiled up at me. His blue eyes darting around the room before saying something in his native tongue to the other. The other one removed a gladius sword from the sharp pony and cut me down, having me lean against them as my bounds were undone.

“Well… my luck just keeps getting better and better.” I rasped as I tried to support myself.

“If you can talk, then you can still fight. Take up a weapon and we’ll get you out.” The handsome zebra said, his accent smooth but heavy. The other one passed me his sword but I shook my head and pulled away, using my magic to gather the belt of the sharp one and the holsters of the cadet, strapping them on before gathering the remaining magazines they had. I checked their arc pistols and nodded, dual wielding them.

“Keep the sword. I got my own at the ready.” I grinned. Before I could take point, the handsome zebra passed me a bottle filled with red liquid. I blinked questioningly.

“To keep you on your hooves. Grandma’s secret recipe.” He said with a smile. “Not every day you get to fight beside the one and only Thi Billet.” I tilted my head slightly before shrugging and taking a nice swig of the liquid. I coughed and pat my chest, feeling my body tingle. I passed it back to him.

“Ugh! That’s strong!” I stated. The zebra nodded, pocketing the bottle after corking it.

“Fit for a warrior. Now, let us go.” He said, unslinging his carbine and taking point. I shook my head in realization. The Gorgons. Guess the fight is still going after all these years. Questions for later, the zebra moved out the door with me and the other tailing him.

I noticed a few limp Triads along the way as he led me to a side door. There were the sound of arc weapons being fired throughout the warehouse along with shouting. The zebra crouched and peeked around a crate.

“The name’s Zeke. And he is Logarius. We are with the Gorgons.” The zebra said as he aimed his carbine. He popped off a few shots before ducking back.

“Charmed. I figured that much. So, what the hell are the Gorgons doing here?” I asked, noticing two Triads above us on a catwalk. Their attention was elsewhere, but I popped both of them in the head and they fell. We proceeded to canter down an aisle.

“Intercepted information on counterfeit muscle relaxers. I take it you are familiar?” He asked as he waved his carbine around in front. I nodded grimly.

“Pocket Gold extract. Mixed with a nasty substance called Sombranite.” I replied. Zeke nodded.

“We are tasked with raiding the warehouse and retrieving some samples for our alchemists. By happenstance, we spotted you being led into here. Might as well help out while we can.” He replied. I arched a brow.

“And let me guess. The Gorgons want my help to turn the tide in their favor?” I asked. Zeke grinned.

“They always said that you are smart despite looking so out of place.” He chuckled. I shook my head and decided to take point, bucking the door open and rushing into cover. The warehouse yard was surprisingly bigger than expected. Big enough that a warzone was going on. Triads and Gorgons exchanging arc fire at each other. I darted my eyes and smirked. Time to get back into the game.

“Zeke. I need the rest of grandma’s recipe.” I stated. Zeke, without question or hesitation, withdrew the potion. I took it and chugged the whole thing. It was strong and bitter. I let out a satisfied belch and tossed the bottle aside, readying my arc pistols. I then flicked my head down and sprang high into the air. Using my conjured spring platforms, I bounced over to several unsuspecting Triads taking cover. I landed on one, delivering a hefty buck, accompanied by a loud crack of the pony’s neck. I then rapidly fired the pistols, felling the Triads.

Keeping the momentum, I rushed forward, looting the ponies as I went and flicking my head down. Sailing through the air, I landed on a conjured platform and began to gallop with the platform keeping up with me. The Triad didn’t see me coming. I rained arc fire onto them, making them retreat while one swore.

“They freed Thi Billet!! Focus fire!!” I smirked and flicked my head down, springing downward as arc fire began to aim in my direction.

‘That’s right… eyes on me.’ I thought, feeling the thrill return once more. This is my element. I live for these moments. Kicking off my spring again, I twirled in the air, avoiding arc bullets whizzing by and returning my own. I hit a couple of Triads, but not enough to fatally wound. I landed on the ground and rolled into cover. I noticed a fallen Gorgon. Her arc carbine in her hooves. I holstered my pistols and took the carbine, reloading it and patting the fallen zebra on her shoulder before dashing out of cover and firing back at the Triad.

I felled several of them around their cover and bucked a couple that thought it was smart enough to retaliate. I eventually picked up a gladius at some point and used it to fell several more. I kept the momentum going. My body on auto pilot. I dashed, rolled, spring boarded, kicked, punched, sliced and fired at the Triad. I hadn’t realized that some of the Triad had managed to hit their mark. But looting off of fallen Gorgons and Triad, I kept myself going. I felt alive. I don’t know how long it was going on for, but eventually, I cornered one Triad who was the last of his squad. He trembled, a stain forming on his uniform.

I smirked and twirling the gladius, I threw it at him and it stuck to the wall next to his head. He slid down the wall, horrified as he had no choice but to watch as I approached. I shouldered the carbine and looked down at him, wiping my muzzle of blood.

“You’re going to tell me everything I want to know. Answer well enough, I’ll give you over to the Gorgons. They are at least a bit more merciful than I am. And frankly, I’ve let out nearly a weeks worth of frustration of being captured, so I’m feeling really good right now.” I stated, rolling my neck. I must have looked monstrous to the pony. But based on the uniform, this pony knew way more than the others. I then aimed the carbine in my magic, sticking the barrel on the very tip of his muzzle. The barrel was still hot, so there was an accompanying sizzle. The pony cowered before me.

“O-okay! Okay! I-I’ll tell you everything! Just please don’t kill me!” He stammered. I shifted my distaste and leaned in.

"Two pegasi. One with a bow and the other with wind-swept spikey mane along with an egghead in a yellow coat. Where are they?" I asked with a glare. The pony gulped and did his best to avoid my eyes.

"Th-they were herded off to Underworld. W-we planned to use them as bargaining to win Roam's favor!" He stammered. I poked the barrel of the carbine against his muzzle.

"And our 'Fire Demon'. What do you all plan to do with her?" I asked. The pony nodded quickly.

"A-a means to intimidate the king and queen into favoring our own Queen in alliance! P-pitting her against Roam's greatest warriors to show a display of power! Th-that's all I know! I swear!" He cowered, covering his head. I sighed and shook my head.

"Typical. Too bad Fie won't play the piper to the Triad. Once again, your organization is allowing destructive magic to run rampant without any care to our realm." I spat. I glanced out the corner of my eye to see Gorgon mercs approaching me. I shouldered my carbine and stepped aside, pointing to the Triad. "He's all yours. Tell Gladius thanks for the save. But I got friends to catch up with." I waved a hoof lazily at them. Zeke quickly looked at his comrades before walking up to me.

"In all my life, I've never seen a warrior display such skill in battle. You truly live up to your reputation Thi Billet. And that is why Gladius has ordered a raid on Underworld." He stated. I looked over my shoulder at them.

"Huh. How convenient." I stated. Zeke nodded.

"For you, yes. Years of planning for Gladius. It was going to be during the annual Tourney of Warriors, which so happens to be this month. He plans to free every creature from Underworld and assassinate Visar Galm. We have retrieved documents during a raid off the coast with these Triad scum about an agreement between the Visar's resources to Pony Land without the king and queen knowing." The zebra explained. I rubbed my chin.

"No shit. The king and queen's advisor? Always knew that three clawed griffon had a bad vibe." I stated.

"A prosthetic limb now. One gifted to him by the treasury. The old hero's gauntlet, said to wield strengthening magic the warrior accumulated during his trials." Zeke replied. I blinked.

"An old hero's gauntlet..." I said to myself. He couldn't be talking about Hercules's Hoof? I frowned.

"No doubt the Triad had something to do with the acquiring of it. Alright then. I'll join you in on this raid. But under certain conditions." I turned to them and held up a hoof. "I'm not here to fight your war. Nor are my friends. We have our own struggle to deal with. Once the raid is over and the Visar is exposed, we'll be on our way to Pony Land. Whatever is to be done in this raid, will be handled with me acting separately. I cannot guarantee safety and expect you all to fend for yourselves." The Gorgons exchanged glances before Zeke spoke up.

"You sure we can't have you aid a little bit after?" He asked. I shook my head with a frown.

"Our world is in more danger than ever. I cannot be sidelined by outer wars or group struggles that'll distract me." I explained. "If you want to win the war, then you need to let me and my friends handle our own thing. Believe me. You'll feel better off knowing you don't have to worry so much about the realm along with this war." Zeke nodded.

"Very well then. Let us regroup at the Barracks and restock." He looked sadly over to the battlefield. "You helped us greatly in this battle. Our fallen kin have been avenged and will pass on peacefully." I looked solemnly at him and sighed.


The Barracks was completely secluded away from the city. Dense foliage and some mountainous areas. It took us an hour to reach from the docks. I found myself growing impatient. The old, run-down industrial facility is loaded with stolen armaments and supplies from the many raids they had done. I'm a little impressed, but with my impatience growing, I was quickly beginning to regret this. I leaned against the wall boredly while taking a small sip of whiskey, watching the Gorgons go over strategies on how to properly approach the raid. I didn't listen to much of it. I was too lost in thought with my own strategizing. Fie is going to be fighting in the arena. I know she can handle herself and will breeze with flying colors. But she's still a pony and needs rest. The Triad will probably keep her going in a gauntlet of some kind. It'll do much to ease her stress if I can free the others first. Then after, I should probably focus on helping where I can. Maybe scare the king and queen a bit about what the Triad is capable of doing. There is no guarantee that all the civilians will be spared the destruction if the Triad retaliate. But... that's none of my concern. Not yet at least.

I frowned to myself. What started as a simple reconnaissance ended up being a bit more than I expected. Regardless, much of the plan hasn't changed. If I just stick to heading towards Underworld, then I can still pull it off. All I have to do is get close to the king and queen. I figured I might as well take up this mission as I believed I would run into Fie and the others at some point along the way. Once I found them, I would be done with H.U.N.T. I'm not doing anymore of their dirty work. After all, a heroine has to not tie herself down to anything holding her back.

"Well, Ms. Billet? Do you have any insight into the strategy?" A voice asked, breaking me out of my thoughts. I looked over and saw all eyes on me. I took the last swig of my whiskey and put it down on the crate. I rolled my neck and cracked it.

"I wasn't paying attention. Whatever works, works." I said non-chalantly. "I trust the Gorgons are capable of pulling off whatever they believe is correct. I'm just a third party." Zeke nodded and pointed at the map on the spool table.

"Then we proceed with the plan. We head through the underground tunnels and blow our way into the waiting room. We'll be able to free the captured slaves from their imprisonment. Escort the enslaved creatures back to the Barracks and proceed to migrate them inland." He cocked his carbine and looked at his troops. "This has been years of planning. We all know our positions when we hit phase three." He then looked to me. "I look forward to seeing your skills once again." I smirked confidentially and pat my chest.

"If you want, I can just one mare army it again." I joked.


Quiet Fire's POV

I stirred awake as I heard the sound of cheering from afar. I was unsure of how long I was out for. However, I did notice some centurion dressed guards escort several prisoners out. A couple of them were terrified while the others seemed to know what was going to happen. When the creatures left the room, the remaining that weren't led out went back to sulking in their cages. My ear flicked when I heard behind me some of the creatures talk.

"I wonder which sorry sod is going to fight another day?" one creature asked. I heard another scoff.

"Doesn't matter. We're all dead regardless. The nobles just want us to eat each other's hearts out while they indulge in ours. If it was the previous king, he would have stuffed those nobles in the salt mines." The gruff one replied.

"And that is why he was assassinated if you recall. You can't have a stable economy by taxing the rich and giving to the poor. Even if the results are clear." Another spoke.

"So, I've been wondering what's the deal with that one?" Another asked. I heard another from another cell speak.

"You haven't heard? That's the infamous Fire Demon from Equestria. Their supposed champion and savior to our realm." A mare said. Another with a thick and heavy accent snorted.

"Champion? Caged like an animal. She doesn't look so tough." Another hissed.

"Quiet your tongue! I heard from one of the shipmasters that she had destroyed an entire city. Left nothing but charred ruins." The thick and heavy accent snorted again.

"Whatever. If she is so dangerous, why and how did she get caught and put here? If her reputation proceeds her, why not just break out? Kill every single one of us here. She'll be doing us a favor." From another cage, a voice spoke.

"I ain't plannin' on dyin' here. I gots kids to feed." A deep voice spoke.

"Better give it up while you can then. Your kids are never going to see you. Your wife would be off with another creature that probably put you in your shackles in the first place." Another voice responded. There was quiet from the previous voice. I pretended not to hear, but from what it sounds like the more they chatted, everycreature has no hope of seeing the outside world. Enslaved to the Underworld, never to be seen again. It surprised me how long some of these creatures have been here. Several decades at most. My mind started racing with thoughts. How can I help these creatures get out of here? The more I hear and think about it all, the more sick I feel. Images of Sun Ville and Hoofington kept popping up. Just then, I heard a door squeak open and I glanced up to see a mean looking centurion guard. She trotted over to my cage, ascending the small steps and eyeing me. She then knocked on the cage.

"Wakey, wakey, demon. A lucky contestant survived long enough for you to enter the ring." The guard said with a sly smirk. "Best not disappoint the king and queen. They've been enjoying the match so far." She then stepped back as I felt my cage jerk. The roof above me began to open up slowly. I eyed the guard as she grinned and turned back around, shooting a nasty glare at one of the imprisoned contestants. I furrowed my look.

Just say the word, my dear vessel. I don't know why you want to humor these ingrates. Din said with an uncomfortable shift in my mind. I shook my head.

'Keep conserving your power, Din. I don't have much of a plan, but I'll think of something when we reach top side.' I replied to her as my cage ascended. I could hear the cheering getting louder and louder. Then, what sounded like somepony speaking over an intercom rang out.

"I have never seen anything quite like it, folks! Not many creatures make it this far! Damascus certainly has come a long way and quickly becoming a fan favorite! But is she ready to face the most terrifying thing ever to grace Roam? A wild demon, said to call upon the fire from another world! A beast who has destroyed an entire city and all the inhabitants with it! Damascus, our champion, shall now face... The Fire Demon!!" the voice exclaimed in excitement. I heard the crowd cheer and jeer as my cage finally reached top side and came to a stop. I looked around, seeing that we were in a gladiatorial like arena. A wave of nostalgia flowed into me. This is like the underground fighting rings I used to do back before I became one of the seven.

However, unlike a dingy warehouse, it's an actual arena. I could see the sand strewn about with weapons, corpses and what appeared to be traps. The stands were filled with creatures of all kinds, wearing tunics and fancy dresses as if they haven't moved on from the Odyssey era of our history. I heard my cage hiss and the box falling apart. My latches came undone, yet I refused to move. I was getting a bit more of my bearings, seeing a lone figure standing on top of a slain manticore. I narrowed my eyes. This zebra certainly had scars of battle. Her coat tufted and scratched; blood caked on her hooves and her armor cracked and broken. She held a dull gladius in her teeth. She returned my narrowed look. I continued to remain where I was as I scanned the crowd. My eyes widened as I saw my friends in a podium that I could only assume was where the king and queen were. Using Din's eyes, I saw an imposing looking zebra eyeing us with bored interest. Next to his throne is a zebra mare. Her eyes glossed over with tribal accessories over Roam attire. An elegant feather crown upon her head. I noticed Cloudchaser and Flitter fanning the king, looking rather beat up, but to my relief, were okay. Scribble was shackled between the king and queen, looking miserable, yet stoic. King Leo spoke to Scribble. With my lip reading, I couldn't make out what King Leo was saying. But Scribble responded with:

"Just watch."

My gaze focused back to Damascus as she landed on the sand, throwing down her gladius and picking up a trident in her hoof.

"You are my next battle? Very well then. Let's see what this Fire Demon is capable of." She stated openly before standing up on two, poising the trident and heaving it like a javelin. It sailed through the air and when it got close, I tilted my head, letting it sail past me and sticking into the sand. The crowd murmured and jeered. Damascus narrowed her eyes again. She then picked up a spear and began to gallop towards me. I furrowed my expression. I didn't want to do this. I need to think of something fast. I should stall as much as I can. Damascus yelled as she charged me, hopping into the air and poised to strike. When she stabbed her spear, my foreleg came up and with my shackle, parried the spear, causing her to stumble back. I stood up and rolled my neck. I was a little stiff from being motionless for a while. I did a couple of stretches as the zebra glared up at me. Adjusting her spear, she charged me again. When she lashed her spear out, I twisted my body to the side and snapped the spear's shaft with my forelegs. This took the zebra by surprise. She backed away from me as I then grasped the spear blade in my magic and heaved it at her hooves.

I don't know what came over me. This feeling was all too familiar. I reared up and stood on two, getting into my stance. Damascus's eyes widened and I heard from the crowd several shocked calls from them.

"That stance..." Damascus said in awe. I was stoic as I faced her. Damascus shook out of her daze and readied herself with another weapon, a hatchet. "Doesn't matter. I will win this fight!" She bit down on the hatchet and rushed me, picking up a net in the process. She heaved the net up and I quickly dove and rolled out of the way. She took that opportunity to get up close and swing her hatchet. However, I ducked low, spun my body around as the hatchet barely missed me and I delivered a buck to her chest. She went sailing through the air, landing with a roll. The crowd began to grow a bit quiet. I grit my teeth.

'Shit... I have to not overdo it.' I thought to myself. Din sighed.

You'll only make it worse on yourself by doing that. Just be done with it already. I frowned a little but got back into my stance as Damascus tried to pull herself up from the sand, coughing. She then tore off her chest armor and panted. How long has this mare been fighting? She looks ready to collapse any moment. But the determination in her eyes told me there was no backing down. Din hummed. That look... where have I seen it before? She then slyly smirked at me and I felt a twinge of annoyance. However, Damascus galloped over towards a short sword and began to rush me. I readied myself. She lunged forward and stabbed, but I deftly side stepped her. She quickly followed it up with a flurry of slashes, which I bobbed and weaved away and under from. I need to wait for an opening.

My keen eyes noticed when she reared her neck back, blade gripped tightly in her teeth, her jaw slacked. Taking my chance, I quickly lashed out my hoof and smacked my flack clear against her jaw. The blade went sailing away and she tumbled back. I readied my stance again, eyeing the zebra mare. She painfully pulled herself up from the ground, grimacing and rubbing her jaw. This is awful. Not a moment to rest for this one. Damascus studied me, her look of desperation clear on her face. She then darkened her expression, shaking angrily.

"Dammit... dammit all!" She exclaimed suddenly. She looked up at me and glared angrily. "Don't screw around!! You are just as much a captive as I am!!" She swished her foreleg dismissively. "I've come too far to back down now! You're supposed to be this feared Fire Demon! Yet you are just standing there and not even trying to kill me!" Din began to chuckle a little.

The poor thing. You should really put it out of its' misery. She cooed. I frowned. I can't do that to this mare. All that adrenaline. The fight or flight running through her. All she can think about is ensuring her own survival. And here I was, hardly having done anything and with all my energy still left in me. My expression darkened. I hate this. What am I supposed to do? She doesn't deserve to die for making it this far. I'm not going to be the one to take her life. An idea struck me. Damascus roared loudly and picked up an axe. My eyes widened as it seems the zebra's anger had strengthened her to wield a massive battle axe. She rushed me, the axe blade dragging into the sand before she lunged and brought her head back, axe poised to strike. I then rushed forward. In a quick flurry of blows, I jabbed rapidly into her chest, causing her to remain in the air. The wind left her and she dropped the axe. I then gripped her forelegs and rotated her as she went twirling over me and landed hard on the sand.

She painfully shifted on the ground, clutching her neck and gasping for air. I walked and stood over her. She grit her teeth and held onto my foreleg. She was trying to say something. I looked down at her sadly. I then quickly lashed out a hoof, striking her in the neck and her body went limp. The crowd began to jeer.

"And just like that, our champion falls at the hooves of the Fire Demon! I must say, folks. That fight was not as exciting as I'd hoped it would be! But don't be deterred as we have more waiting to rise at the chance to fight the Fire Demon!" The crowd booed and jeered. I grit my teeth.

"Shut up!!" I roared, throwing my head into the air. The crowd began to simmer into murmurs. I focused my gaze up at the podium where the king and queen were. I levitated over the dull gladius and with a flick of my head, the sword sailed over the crowd and impaled into the front of the podium. Using Din's eyes, I saw the king and queen look startled while his centurions readied themselves. Just as expected, the side gates of the arena opened and guards funneled out, weapons aimed at me. I eyed them before holding up my hooves. As the guards began to approach, I heard Din cackle excitedly. I felt a warmth flow through me and the guards panicked, backing away as a ring of fire surrounded me and the unconscious zebra. I kept my focus on the podium, seeing King Leo stand up, his look in awe. I pointed at him. "King Leo! Queen Zeuli! Viewers of Roam in the Underworld! I have a proposition that will certainly breathe new life into this poor excuse of a gladiator arena!"

The crowd began to grow quiet. I saw Scribble stand up and walk to stand next to King Leo. He began to speak in a dialect to the king. I didn't know the egghead spoke Zebric. However, I kept up the performance. "You won't get your entertainment for watching tired and drained warriors who can't even make it past the very being that destroyed an entire city! How about we turn it around! I'll even let the king and queen's royal guards and their best and vicious to partake in it! I will single handedly fight each and every single one of them, be it beasts, monsters or creatures! I, the Fire Demon, demand to face stronger opponents and not weaklings!" I then pointed at Damascus. "This mare isn't worth my time killing! Send her back to the cells and let her rest! She can always try me again when she's ready!" No pony made a move. I lowered my ring of fire and eyed the guards. Did I overdo it? I noticed a guard walk forward and remove their helmet. It was a griffon. A mean looking one at that. His sharp, predatory eyes focused on me.

"A demon wanting to change the very foundations of our ancestry? I never thought I'd see the day." He glared disappointingly. Based on his attire, he must be a general. I only returned his disappointment.

"I could destroy it if that's what you want. I'm already made out to be a demon. Want to help me climb down that hole further?" I stated coldly. I had to keep up the act. Din sighed.

And here I was, conserving my energy. She stated.

'If you know what I'm thinking, then let me think.' I replied to her in my thoughts. I have a hastily put together plan. But one that I can go with the flow with. The griffon studied me as I remained stoic and cold. I sensed it. Killing intent. In a matter of a second, I quickly brought my quarterstaff out the moment the griffon took out his sword and aimed at the zebra. My staff intercepted the tip of the blade just inches from the zebra's neck. The griffon's eyes widened a bit. I continued my glare at him. My ears flicked at the muttering of some of his guards.

"She... she stopped General Gild's attack? But... it was so fast..." I heard one speak a little loudly than they probably wanted. I then moved my staff, leading the blade up and with a quick flick of my staff, I slapped his claw wrist, disarming the griffon.

"You want my utter and complete obedience to your king and your ancestry, then you get this mare her treatment and rest and have her try again when she's ready." I said coldly. Din began to cackle inside of my head.

My, my! I've never seen this side of you, vessel! Why, I almost feel as if I have rubbed off on you! Though, I would do it with a bit more spunk. She grinned smugly. Spunk, huh? The griffon, General Gild, eyed me warily now. He then closed his eyes in a bit of thought before turning up to the podium. I followed his gaze. I could see King Leo looking rather tense. Scribble, however, was speaking to him in his dialect. Cloudchaser and Flitter were in awe at the egghead. I saw King Leo tighten his grip on the edge of his podium.

He then turned and said something to Scribble before turning and begun to exclaim something I couldn’t understand. The guards around me, however, were shocked. I looked to Gild, who seemed a bit disturbed. Catching my look, he put his helmet on and faced me.

“King Leo states that he does not want us to be harmed over a simple dispute. If you believe the mare lives to fight another day, he will see to her treatment. However, in her stead, you will continue her battles. If you do not kill, your friends up there are set for a public execution. Your Fire Demon powers do not frighten the will of the king. If you can pass all the battles set before you, you’ll be granted a chance to fight the Scourge.” He explained. I tilted my head.

He waved to his guards in motion to leave the arena. The griffon general picked up his sword and sheathed it before hoisting Damascus over his back.

“I cannot believe I have to stain my garb with tainted blood…” he muttered to himself before walking away. When the guards left the arena, King Leo announced something before the disembodied voice took over.

“You heard it here, folks! The creatures of the Underworld are in for a special treat! The destroyer of cities and defier of power! The unhinged and wild burning blaze that will dry the blood-stained sand! You know what they say, folks! There is no rest for the wicked! Let’s begin with our first combatant!” The voice exclaimed excitedly. I turned to face the cage that was opening.

I readied my stance with my quarterstaff as a hulking figure stepped out. I tilted my head. It stood on two and waddled out with its’ arms swinging out in front. The mole like creature bearing a metal helmet on its’ head. A Maul Warf.

“Known for its’ thick hide and unwavering appetite for greens, this Maul Warf is not like its’ kin! It has tasted blood on the battlefield and is craving for more! I can’t wait to see how this battle plays out!” The announcer exclaimed. I studied the creature. It looked a little silly with the helmet covering its’ eyes. It was sniffing the air before scratching at the helmet. Din hummed.

An oversized mole? I can’t help but feel insulted. She said. I smirked.

“And here I thought you were wanting to show up these creatures.” I replied. Din scoffed.

Please. When they finally throw something worthwhile, wake me up. Din retorted. I slumped a bit. So much for testing out synergy. I blinked and tilted my head a bit as the Maul Warf was scratching at the helmet furiously, as if it was trying to take it off. Suddenly, the helmet lit up red and the Maul Warf roared, swiping its' claws around it. I backed away, avoiding a stray swipe. It sounded like it was in pain. It then sniffed the air and focused on me. I grit my teeth and readied myself as the creature roared again and rushed me, claws extended.


Thi Billet’s POV

I was entirely impressed. It seems the Gorgons had indeed been busy over the years. We were traveling through a region of Roam that was called by the locals as Passage to Perdition. A fitting name as it was just nothing but desert sand and nothing else in between. Roam is usually a greener place, if we were in the regions that were habitable. It has been stated through local legend that a devastating battle years, even centuries back, created what is the Passage. However, any remnants of what would have been here were buried beneath the sands.

And that is exactly where we are heading. Underworld is called such here in Roam. Locals know of it, yet the Underworld is constantly mobile. It is never in one place. The only way to find out where it is is to go through several initiations. The first is receiving a gold coin as your invitation. You are to then find a “Charon” through the clues embedded on the coin. Once you find the “Charon”, you are to pay the creature with the coin and they will guide you into the Underworld. You maybe wondering; “How does one even know what this Charon looks like?” Simple.

It’s usually a mummified corpse that may or may not be from the Hall of Heroes, Roam’s own memorial mausoleum expanding centuries upon centuries of the heroes of old. My days of being an archeologist in Roam had taught me this much as I had the liberty to “bodyguard” an Underworld invitee to the location. It was not pleasant. Thankfully, I was able to keep myself out of trouble by playing off being the invitee’s bodyguard in order to closer to my actual prize.

The Oracle. Or better known as Queen Zeuli. H.U.N.T. needed the Oracle in order to stop a certain scheme the Triad had been planning at that time. While her insight was eerily accurate, I didn’t think much of it. However, now that Fie and us have been thrown into this conflict, I couldn’t help but think about what the Oracle had said to me.

“You will be thrown into a conflict beyond our comprehension. Somepony very dear to you will give up her mortality and cease to exist among us, until she is needed once more.” It struck me as odd considering the mural I found about Fie years ago. But Oracles usually are vague enough. Fie isn’t the only pony dear to me. But she’s the most important. I leaned over the hatch to the once Triad owned metal behemoth. The Gorgons had wasted no effort into making it their own.

A decal of a demonic snake like face with snake for hair as if it was flailing wildly was painted on the side of the head of the behemoth. A tattered, red velvet curtain draped along the body but not covering the ridged wheels. There were four other behemoths in similar design accompanying us. The Gorgon scouts had told the raid team that there were no Triad in attendance, which is unusual, and that the king and queen’s centurions are the only thing stopping us.

The Centurions are very traditional. However, their ancestry armory has been updated in materials, thanks to the Triad. Over the years, they had supplied Roam enough that despite looking like traditional old timey garb, they are now able to withstand small arc explosives and medium arc calibers. Even their weapons have been updated to arc slings, bows and arrows and their traditional iconic gladius weapons being made with highly durable material. Hell, even siege weapons were updated.

Our convoy sped through the Passage, passing by old ruins and rock formations. Most locals avoid using the Passage due to the dangers of sandsharks and earthwyrms. Yes, wyrms. Not your traditional worm. These are big leviathans that do prowl the Passage very occasionally for food. Sandsharks aren’t that dangerous, but they do prowl in numbers. Usually five or so. One of the Gorgon mercs expressed their concern about encountering one, but Zeke told them otherwise as the convoy would be loud enough to keep them at bay.

I yawned under my muffler and slumped tiredly. It was boring. You can only enjoy sand so much. Eventually, our convoy stopped, overlooking a valley of rocks and crevices. Zeke frowned.

“Now for the tricky part of the plan.” He began. He held a device to his muzzle. “Get into positions. The recon team should be radioing in any moment.” I lazily watched our convoy split and began to roll into and around the rocky hills. I noticed ours hasn’t moved. I blinked a bit in confusion before dipping my head back into the hatch. Zeke was looking through a slit in the behemoth.

“We aren’t moving in?” I asked. Zeke shook his head.

“Something isn’t right. The scouts should have radioed in the moment we arrived.” He hesitated a bit with the device in his hoof. “Delta five oh six, do you copy?” There was silence. I furrowed my look.

“Maybe something happened. A wild variable showed up and they need to reassess.” I suggested. Zeke sighed.

“Impossible. We spent months reconning the location. Every bit of traffic that went in and out, twenty-four seven was monitored until we were ready to make our move. If it was Triad or anything else, we would have picked up on it." He explained. I tilted my head slightly before poking my head back out. Still sand and rocks. I let out a sigh, mentally preparing myself to deal with whatever is going to happen. I blinked, having taken notice of something. I let out another deep sigh. I could see my breath. I was puzzled. I looked over to the entrance to what is supposed to be the gate to Underworld. I pulled out my arc pistol and did a quick check of it before holstering it and hopping out. Zeke poked his head out. "Where are you going?" He asked. I pointed at the entrance.

"Keep your mercs on hold. This maybe something that we might not even be able to handle." I said. I then breathed and my breath rose and vanished. Zeke took notice of it and breathed himself, seeing his own breath. I then began to walk forward and a cold chill washed over me. I shivered and adjusted my denim jacket. I stepped into the entrance. The temperature started to drop more the further I went. When I rounded a corner, I gasped a bit as I nearly ran into something sticking out of a crystal wall.

‘Wait… crystal?’ I blinked and stepped back, my look casting grimly at the sight. Upon closer inspection of the wall and the protrusion, I could make out a silhouette inside. Almost as if it was reaching out. I knocked on the crystal wall, winced as I felt a small chilling burn on my hoof. This isn’t normal ice. No… it can’t be… But it has to be.

“By the goddess of creation…” I heard Zeke behind me gasp. I looked over my shoulder, seeing the zebra looking horrified as he walked over to me. He reached out a hoof to the protrusion and held it. Zeke closed his eyes and bowed his head. “Rest easy, kin. Your contribution will forever be written in the sands.” I gave a solemn look before shaking my head a little at the irony of this.

“This takes a whole new meaning of hell being frozen over.” I stated to myself quietly.

“What could have done this to them?” Zeke asked as he stepped back. I rubbed the back of my head.

“So, just throwing this out there, but you do remember that our realm is in danger, right?” I began. Zeke looked at me as I motioned to the wall in front of us. “Let’s just say, one of the reasons I’m here took an unexpected turn in an annoyingly convenient way.” I frowned and studied the ice. “This isn’t natural ice, nor is it archaic. This is purely physical magic.” Zeke tilted his head. “Physical magic is like… a mirage that didn’t vanish and suddenly grew internal organs and cannot vanish in a natural way.” Zeke rubbed his chin.

“Damn. Then, we have to find an alternate route. I was hoping we could thaw them out but…” I gave the Gorgon merc a reassuring pat on his shoulder.

“I’m afraid there is nothing that we can do to save their lives. But… we don’t need to change the plan entirely.” I then smirked and stepped back. I then closed my eyes and reached into my mind. I could hear the whispering. Something I had always ignored. Lately, the whisper has been making some sense. Perhaps it is time to test it out. I called to the voice. ‘Help me destroy this obstacle.’ I replied to the whisper. I then held out my hoof and in a flash of green and black fire, a baseball bat appeared in my hoof. The wood looking fresh despite how ancient the actual object is. Zeke looked on in awe as I twirled the bat in my hoof before tossing it up and catching it in my magic, shouldering it.

The wood cracked and a couple of green, slit eyes opened up and began looking around before resting upon the zebra. Zeke was speechless. I grinned and nodded.

“Been wanting to show it off a bit more. I am curious what Fie would think now that I’m able to do exactly what she does with her own halberd.” I stated happily. Yes. Exactly like Fie’s way of summoning her quarterstaff. Over the weeks she had been missing, I once had a dream where I met a strange figure. They were shrouded in darkness, but I could tell they were there. They whispered to me honeyed words of promising greater power to fulfill my desire to protect. I don’t remember much of the dream, but when I woke up, I realized my Excalibat was missing. That is, until I swore loudly for it to show up and it popped into existence in a similar manner just now.

This is great for me. I don’t have to worry about getting looks anymore and I can finally keep up with Fie to some regard. I motioned for Zeke to step back and when he was a good distance away, I twirled the bat with my magic and began to take a readied stance. I then waved the bat over my head, the green, slit eyes on the bat beginning to glow before burning with green fire. I smirked and with a strong swing, several green and black firebolts shot out and we were suddenly enveloped into cold steam.

The loud sizzling hissed around us as the fire did wonders to clear the frozen wall in front of us. Unfortunately, that involved melting the silhouettes to non-existence. With the wall melted, I looked to Zeke.

“I’ll signal you when I’ve cleared the way.” I said before trotting into the passage way. Zeke held out a hoof to me.

“Wait! What should we look for?” He asked. I grinned and waved my bat slightly.

“You’ll know.” I replied. And with that, I began my trek through the partial maze that would lead me to the Underworld. As I melted another wall, I began to think. If one of the seven is here in Roam, then that means the nation is going to be in for a sight. Time is ticking for Roam, whether they realize it or not.