• Published 23rd Jun 2023
  • 216 Views, 17 Comments

Cradle of Dreams - AterHut



Story about a pony without dreams of her own. Who she will meet in her journey, and how will they affect each other?

  • ...
0
 17
 216

Chapter Ten — The Day We Met [Teadrop's Side]

Another shift at the local cafe has finally ended. Locals seem to like the drinks I make there, especially my tea, so I’m quite happy to stop in this town to get some money before I move on.

But even so, I still haven’t managed to make any friends, even after being here for over a week.

“Why is it always so hard?..”

I didn't make any friends in previous towns either, maybe I’m doing something wrong?

Well, mom always taught me that if I don’t know something, I have to find somepony who can teach me that.

Or, if there wasn't such a pony around, to find a book I could learn from.

So I decided to visit a local bookshop to find something good.

Luckily, there was a Twilight’s Friendship book on sale! Only forty bits for a book by such a famous pony! And who could know more about friendship than the Princess of Friendship herself?

When I bought it, I asked the salespony why the book was so cheap.

“Oh, it's just been here for ages and nopony bought it, so I had to lower the price a few times. I’m glad you bought it and hope it helps you at least a little bit, ha-ha! But honestly, as a little tip for finally freeing me from that book, I’ll share a little secret about making friends with you. Come closer.”

Well, free advice is always a good thing! So I approached him as he asked.

“The secret is… just be yourself!”

Nevermind. If it worked like that I’d have a lot of friends by now, right?

“Uh, thanks!” I smiled and quickly retreated from the shop.

“Oh Cadance…”

Now it feels intimidating to read this book in public. Fortunately, I know quite a quiet place where I can relax and read it, without worrying of somepony distracting me there.

. . .

I approached the small stream I found on Velvet’s advice and, having made myself comfortable, opened the book and began to read.

“Introduce yourself… Start a conversation… Ask about weather to break the ice…”

This is so basic and lame! No wonder nopony was buying this book!

*splat*

“Huh?”

Am I hearing things? I pushed the book away and strained my ears.

“...so refreshing.”

!

“Eeek? I think I heard something? I-is there's anypony there?!”

I didn’t see or hear anypony coming here! Why is somepony here at such a time?!

“Yeah, yeah, don’t worry, it's me, Retite.”

Rettie? I've never heard of anypony with a name like that! This town isn’t that big, so I thought that I'd heard of everypony here by now!

Somepony walked around the bushes and came out to me

“Oh.”

It was an orange unicorn, I definitely hadn't seen her before!

She looks like she expected to see somepony else instead of me.

But more importantly…

She is about my age, and her sleepy surprised face looks so cute!

Wait! We’re alone here! Isn’t this a good opportunity to start a conversation?!

What did the book say… First, I should introduce myself, right? She already told me her name, so…

“Uh, um… Rettie, right? My name is Teadrop, nice to meet you!”

Smile, Tea, smile, just act casually!

“Err, yeah, nice to meet you, too, Teadrop?”

Why does she sound so unsure?!

Uh, next… Weather!

“Uh, the weather is nice today, isn’t it?”

Why am I even asking about the weather?! I spent a whole day in a cafe making drinks!

“Yeah, the weather is quite nice.”

Alright! She doesn’t seem to be bothered and now it looks like a perfectly normal conversation! Next… What was next?! I haven’t time to read!

I tried to quickly peek into the book.

Weather… Here! Hobbies! I was about to turn back to Rettie but-

“Is that… a book?”

I flinched. No, no, no! You weren't supposed to see it!

Now I feel like a filly trying to cheat in an exam and being caught by a teacher!

I've never cheated in an exam, but I'm sure it feels that way!

“What are you reading? Is it some fantasy book?”

I could hear my chances of befriending her crush under her hoof as she took a step closer.

“Uhm…”

“Or is it some study book?”

Well, she wasn’t wrong…

“Uh, yeah, I think you could call it this way-”

I closed the book and wanted to hide it in my saddlebags, but…

“Can I see?”

No! No! No! It’s way too embarrassing!

But it would be rude to refuse and she will just leave!

Ugh!

I let out a heavy sigh.

“Ah, sure…”

I moved my wings so she could see and take the book.

“Wow, somepony actually read that?”

Rude!

“I'm desperate, okay!?”

I'll never try to make friends again. Ever!

“Uhhhh… I mean, it’s a good book! Here!”

Rettie picked up the book and landed right next to me.

Oh Cadance! She’s so close! If she wouldn’t have her saddlebags on her. I bet she’d hit my flanks with hers! But she acts quite friendly, maybe if we’d find something common to talk about…

“How about we read it together?”

NO! As if reading it alone wasn't embarrassing enough! What’s wrong with this filly?!

“Uh, are you sure? I mean, you don’t look like somepony who would have problems making friends…”

Please, leave that idea and let’s talk about something other than that book!

“Umm… Yeah! Actually, I haven’t really made any friends yet!”

“Huh?!”

What?! How can such an energetic and friendly pony have no friends?!

“Yeah, yeah, I know, but hey, I’ve only begun my journey! I have plenty of time! Ha-ha!”

Her laugh is soooo cute! I want to hear more of it! How can somepony possibly be so cute?!

I felt my cheeks burning!

I definitely shouldn’t miss such a chance!

“Well, uhm.. …”

“Yeah?”

I'm so nervous right now that my body is starting to shake!

“..if you don’t mind…”

Just maybe…

“Uh could you repeat, please? I didn’t hear anything.”

Right. I should be more confident, to let her know my intentions!

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in.

“If you don’t mind, could we be friends then?!”

I did it! I actually said it!

At the same moment something warm covered me.

“Huh?” We both sighed in surprise.

Did she just… cover me with a plaid?

Is this some friendship ritual that I’m not aware of? Or is this some kind of rejection?!

“Yeah, sure! I'd love to be your friend!”

She’d love to! Yes, yes, yes! A friend! My very first friend! I’m so happy right now! I should write mom a letter when I get to my apartment! But this plaid is still confusing, so…

“Um… don’t get me wrong, Rettie, I’m really, really glad that we’re friends now, but… what is that plaid for?”

She made a very confused face. My question didn’t spoil the mood, did it?

“Uh, you looked like you were cold, so…”

Oh, so it’s cold here, so she decided to cover me because we’re friends now? I appreciate the gesture but, how shall I put this…

“Uhm… pegasi are very resistant to the cold, you see…”

“Ah, right, sorry…”

She blushed. Maybe she’s sensitive to the cold? That would explain why she's carrying that thing with her.

“..But it's going to get colder soon, so I won’t mind if you join me.”

Wait-wait-wait, what am I even talking about?! Just give it back to her!

My body decided not to wait for her answer and just moved my wing to cover her with her plaid, so now we're both resting underneath it.

It's, like, ultra-embarrassing now!

But, for some reason, it made me even happier.

Rettie seemed to relax a little too, so she doesn’t mind that either, I guess?

Of course just as things were getting better, my stomach absolutely had to start rumbling traitorously!

I didn't have time for lunch at work and completely forgot to eat before coming here!

I could feel my face burning with shame!

“Uh, I’m a bit hungry too, so we could take a break for a snack! I have some sweets with me, not the best food, but good enough for a quick snack! Or at least hope so.”

Rettie you’re an angel! I want to hug her so badly! This is my chance to make it up to her!

“Yes! I mean, sure! I have some tea with me, so sweets would be nice!”

But what kind of tea does she like? Black? Green? Oolong? Pu-erh?!

Oolong and green should go best with sweets, but green would look too basic! Oolong it is!

I quickly pulled thermos flasks with green and oolong tea from my saddlebags and gave oolong one to Rettie.

As she took it, she unwrapped the sweets and placed them in front of us.

There’s just enough snacks for two ponies! It's so sweet of her to carry sweets for somepony else too!

Without further ado, I started eating the biscuits.

Maybe it's because I’m so hungry, but they are so tasty!

Rettie took the muffins and started eating too. She seems to enjoy my tea a lot so I’m saved!

I knew that she’s a pony who can appreciate my tea to its fullest!

So we just snacked in silence, enjoying the view and the atmosphere until it started to get darker.

“Uh, I'd love to spend more time with you, but I don’t want to make Miss Velvet worry about me even more.”

Oh? So she stops at Velvet’s? Makes sense, with all those sweets she brought.

“Oh, it’s getting late already, sure! I have to come back to my apartment before dark too, so that’s okay! See you tomorrow!”

I don't know why, but I was sure we’ll meet again tomorrow.

“Yeah! See you!”

With these words we packed our things and went home. On the same road.

I won't lie if I say that today was probably one the most embarrassing days of my life.

But I finally made a friend! And she said something about travelling, so maybe we’ll be able to travel together later!

I was so happy right now that my mind went wandering about us two travelling and getting even more friends along the way.

I probably acted like a weirdo on my way home, but I didn't care at all.
I went back to my apartment and jumped into bed. Even after that hard day I couldn't fall asleep.

So I just kept hugging the pillow and imagining how awesome it would be to travel with Rettie! I even forgot to write a letter to mom!

I was almost embarrassed at how extraordinarily happy I was to meet her, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it until I finally fell asleep.