• Published 19th Jun 2023
  • 270 Views, 12 Comments

TCB: The Jig Of Life - Madrigal Baroque



She will never forgive the world for taking everything from her. The only answer is to start again, somewhere else.

  • ...
 12
 270

I Know Your Face Well

The doctor was a white woman with flaming red hair, black framed spectacles, and an oversized datapad that she either consulted or finger typed on with such consistency that almost anyone else would believe she was paying only minimal attention to the patient in front of her.

Eun-sook knew better. This medical professional, Pastern by name (and any woman named after a horse's ankle would inevitably be in charge of conversion to a pony; it would be her myeong), was as observant and perceptive as any Intelligence broker she'd ever encountered. With each glance Pastern gave over the heavy black rims, Eun-sook knew she was being assessed. Far from being offended, Eun-sook respected the woman's thoroughness.

That thoroughness showed plainly in the subsequent physical examination. Pastern was no more intrusive than the evaluation required her to be, but nevertheless, if Eun-sook had possessed any undeclared implants or physical abnormalities, Pastern would have spotted them.

"You're in remarkably good shape. I'm a bit jealous." Pastern grinned affably. "I hope I'm doing as well when I'm seventy-three."

"You won't be here that long." Eun-sook did not smile back. She had no patience for small talk. "None of us will. We'll either be in Equestria, or dead."

Pastern's expression sobered, and her brows hitched upwards briefly. "True." She adjusted her glasses and looked at her typepad again, obviously recollecting herself and rethinking her discussion strategy. When she set her pad down, she looked directly at Eun-sook. Her tone was still pleasant, but she offered no more banter. "I'm curious as to why you answered each essay question with Because I want to. Would you care to elaborate?"

"If I did, I would have done so on the application." As a token of respect for Pastern's directness, Eun-sook added, "My reasons for choosing Conversion are many. I don't think the application had room for me to list them all. In any case, my motivations are…personal."

"Fair enough." Pastern set the typepad on the table beside her chair. "Did you have any questions for me?"

"Not a question, exactly." Eun-sook folded her arms. "The tour guide suggested that anesthesia is included in the potion formula."

"Tour…? Oh, that's Lynn, my PA. And you were informed correctly. The Conversion process is…uncomfortable, to say the least. The anesthetic will be precisely formulated to your body chemistry in order to minimize any risk to your health."

"I don't want to be knocked out."

Pastern blinked. "I'm sorry, what do you mean?"

The doctor had understood her perfectly. She was making another request for elucidation. Eun-sook elected to humor her…to a point. "I will not be sedated. I choose to remain fully conscious during Conversion."

Pastern shook her head. "That won't be possible. The anesthetic is a requirement of the process."

"In what way? The physical transformation is as basic as a combination of state of the art nanites and alien magic can make it."

The doctor looked rather impressed. "You've done your homework."

"My oma–my mother–always cautioned me against going into anything blind. I know there will be pain, and I have a very high tolerance for that."

Pastern frowned in consternation. "We're not talking pain here, Ms. Park. Pain is a root canal or appendicitis. Pain is natural childbirth. This is beyond anything you could have experienced. If you were lucky, you'd black out during the process. If not…well, let's say you'd be begging for sedation, and by then it would be too late to administer any."

"No drugs." Eun-sook's tone held a note of finality. "If you refuse to honor my wishes, there are ninety-nine other clinics here. I'm sure I can find someone to accommodate me."

The good doctor was keeping up an admirable front of detached professionalism, but just under the surface Eun-sook could see the woman struggling to suppress a complicated mix of reactions. Frustration; yes, that was to be expected. Distress; that too, was no surprise–a patient was refusing what was obviously considered an essential part of the Conversion process. But there were other reactions as well, less easily interpreted. Why would Pastern be experiencing…remorse? Or guilt? Or shame?

"Well, it's nothing we have to confront today." The cracks in her facade sealed up tight as Pastern rose to her feet, all brisk professionalism. "If you go see Beth, she'll have your room assignment. Then you really ought to stop by the caff. . I know you intended to skip lunch, but I heard they have a shipment of Equestrian apples in–trust me, they're amazing." The doctor smiled briskly.

Eun-sook balked at the summary dismissal. "I won't be sedated," she said firmly. She stood and stared stonily at Pastern, who returned her glare with complacent neutrality.

Eun-sook wanted to punch her in the face hard enough to break those ugly glasses, but she couldn't reach that high.

Forced into retreat, she spun on her heel and marched out of the examination room. She'd had to concede the first skirmish, but this war had a long course to run. Two weeks, and that was plenty of time to devise a strategy.

She would not let them dope her up.

***

Author's Note:

Eun-sook has a long-standing habit of analyzing everything and everyone around her, looking for weaknesses she can exploit and situations she can turn to her advantage.

She has no desire to be put under sedation. Eun-sook hates drugs, doesn't trust anesthesia, and is unwilling to be put in a vulnerable position. Her reasoning will be made more clear later on.