• Published 13th Jun 2023
  • 228 Views, 2 Comments

Cosmology - EroPony1000



A chronicle of the colonists that dwell upon planet-sized ponies.

  • ...
 2
 228

Wormhole Part 2

After the Nightmare Conflict many unicorns left Solaris and made the journey along the High Road to Aesir-Bilröst. Many of the Dispossessed settled near the Seam or around the base of the White Mountains. Most of the pegasi migrated that way also, and built the Zweiholds on the mountain peaks. Those that remained in Solaris chose to fortify the city into a smaller, sturdier Citadel.

Starswirl spent some time in meditation before he left in search of an adventurous pegasus willing to risk the dangers of the well. He scried the tail for clairvoyance, as he had before, but saw only a rainbow of colors.

Nevertheless, he departed with a caravan of gifts and traveled the High Road to the Citadel. Unsurprisingly, he found none there willing to leave their fortress-city, let alone brave the descent into the well.

He carried on toward the White Peaks, rounding the Point as he did before, and soon after the caravan arrived at the base of the mountains where the ancient ruin sat in silence, as it had since the war’s end.

Great walls now crowned the peaks with a bridge between them, and below a village had sprouted among the ruins, from whose pony-folk Starswirl enlisted a sherpa to guide his ascent.

So they climbed, though most of his caravan remained at the village. A select few were chosen to accompany him, hauling the precious gifts to the summit, and when they reached the looming gatehouse they were met with wariness.

That is, until Starswirl was recognized by the young captain of the guard, whose name was Magnus.

Magnus gave the party leave to enter, escorting them across the narrow bridge that spanned the cleavage and into the other keep where the watch commander and de-facto ruler of the mountain tribe, a pegasus known as Hurricane, sat uneasily on a throne at the end of a long hall. When he saw Magnus and Starswirl he straightened up, and welcomed them in warm, inviting tones.

There was a feast held there then, combining the resources of the holds with the gifts brought by the guests. Hurricane asked many questions of Starswirl during that time, and to Starswirl the commander seemed like one who would rather be in the field than on the throne.

However, the time soon came for Starswirl to ask a question of the commander, one that made him scratch his chin. He called for his guard to assemble and told Starswirl to look among them for the one he sought, and should he find them, he would have them.

Uncertainty plagued the wizened seer, until he came upon a comparatively short guardspony with a determined expression and a muted-rainbow mane. He then realized he had found his guidance in the rainbow-tail after all, but only now recognized it for what it was.

“What is your name?” he asked the pony.

“Private Yearling, sir.” said the diminutive guard, saluting curtly.

With the pegasus mare in tow, the visitors departed the Zweiholds in good standing and returned to the rest of the caravan. They rested awhile, then left on the return journey, during which the young private saw many new things and marveled.

Yet it was Aesir-Bilröst and the rainbow-tail, which she had only before glimpsed as a distant aurora, that expanded her mind.

She and Starswirl descended below the tail, to the campsite near the well, and the young private saw for herself what she would be getting into.

And in she went, along with Starswirl, rappelling down despite her wings just to be safe. It was far to fall if something went wrong, and Starswirl didn’t intend to send the pony hurtling out of the fog and into the basecamp.

Into the light they went, and out they came into the amphitheater base-camp. Yearling was in awe, and felt already that the journey was worth the trouble. The idea that there was still more to come excited her more than anything ever had.

The private was swiftly introduced to Celeste, who eagerly began briefing her on her role in the great scheme.

First, Celeste introduced her to challenge ahead, letting her experience for herself what was beyond the star-sigil. The first time she stumbled backward, like Celeste had. The second time she readied her wings and was able to maintain level on the other side before returning.

Next, Yearling was fitted with a special harness that would allow her to carry the inflatable ring, trailing the hose that connected it to an air pump at base-camp, as well as the all-important small metal ring.
When the time came to make the attempt Yearling donned the vest and braved the shaft, wearing a special helmet fitted with the light-emitting core of one of the tiaras.

She rose steadily, using the light from her helmet to keep away from the walls. When at last she reached the exit, she wedged the inflatable ring in as far as she could, then pulled the release, sending air through the hose.

She watched as the seal opened and light trickled through. As soon as she was able, she unhooked the hose and slipped through herself.

She alighted on the surface, which was a peculiar, faded magenta. Nearly finished, she took the metal ring and forced it into the opening, successfully displacing the inflatable one and securing the portal to the new frontier.

She let the apparatus fall back into the amphitheater as it was designed to, and took a moment to admire her surroundings before following after it.

Close enough that she could pick out the leaves, the golden boughs of the Tree of Harmony reached out to this place. In the other direction, she was saw what could be nothing other than Sol Celestia, though as far away as the branches were close.

I really have travelled a long way from the Zweiholds, she thought. Upon returning to the amphitheater she relayed what she had seen, and Celeste started making plans for a colony.

Author's Note:

Another chapter about ponies traveling on ponies, with some more familiar faces! :ajsmug: Tune in next time for… the next part. Time will tell what that one has in store. Or I will tell it, I guess. In time. :applejackunsure: