• Published 14th Jun 2023
  • 185 Views, 9 Comments

TCB: The Red Shoes - Madrigal Baroque



Ana loved only the dance. Now she cares for nothing and no one. Can she find something new to love?

  • ...
 9
 185

And this line is your path

After lunch, Lilac invited Chip to their room so they could go over the more cheerful aspects of the day's events. Lilac asked nothing about the confrontation with the protestors; with uncommon skill she kept the conversation lighthearted and cheerful, discussing the revelation of Harmony's name, then going over the tree she was growing in her horticulture class.

"It's a cherry tree!" she said, eyes shining. "I planted it from a pit left over from that amazing sundae you made for me, Chip, and it sprouted almost as soon as I stuck it in the ground! Tomorrow I'm going to coax it into blossoming and by the end of the week we could have cherries grown right here in our courtyard!"

"I'll make you a cherry cheesecake," Chip promised, kissing her on the cheek. Lilac flushed under her lavender coat. Featherfall smiled a bit. She knew Lilac had a thing for the butter-yellow stallion. Not that Featherfall could blame her. Chip had been handsome as a young Indian man, and he was no less so as a pony. In fact, she found him quite attractive.

She blinked. She was attracted to Chocolate Chip Muffin. She would actually let him…no, she wanted him to…to…

"Feather?" The object of her suddenly realized obsession was addressing her. "Are you okay? You had the funniest look on your face just now."

"Don't you like cherries, Feather?" Lilac asked anxiously, her lower lip trembling.

"Of course I do, Li," Featherfall assured her. "Next to strawberries, they're my favorite."

"Maybe you can grow strawberries next," Chip suggested to Lilac.

But the lavender pony shook her head, making her blond mane shimmer. "Those don't grow from seeds very well. I mean, it can be done, sure, but it would take a lot of coaxing and the soil isn't really that strawberry friendly even with fertilizer and earth pony magic. The best way would be to import actual seedlings from Equestria, and that would mean making a special request…"

Featherfall took advantage of Lilac's impromptu lecture on "The Multiple Issues Regarding Growing Equestrian Strawberries In Earth's Ravaged Environment" to examine her sudden, unanticipated attraction for Chip. Yes, he was attractive, but there were no ugly ponies at the Bureau–or anywhere else, for that matter. He was charming in an unassuming way, even endearing, but none of that explained her feelings.

In her years as a premiere dancer, Anastasia had received solicitations from any number of influential, powerful, and even handsome men–and not a few women as well. She'd been wooed with extravagant gifts of jewels, fine clothes, sumptuous meals. She'd been offered positions as the pampered mistress of several Family members, and one of them–an older man with real power and influence–had promised her a luxuriant home in the distant, lush reaches of Antarctica in return for her favor.

She'd entertained all offers, large and small, without so much as granting any of the applicants more than a few hours of her time. She never let any of them touch her. Ana didn't like to be touched unless it was during a performance.

Of course she knew that, as a dancer, she had a limited shelf life. She couldn't expect to be at the top forever, and there was nowhere to go but down. She had to make a choice about her future, and soon, she reasoned.

She'd been about to take Whatsisname up on his offer of an Antarctic paradise when Camille had had her legs destroyed. Her supplicants evaporated, even the one who could have restored her legs with one vidcall. She had been left entirely alone.

"You've got that look again," Chip's voice cut in. "Only worse. Are you okay, Feather?"

Something about the simple, honest compassion in Chip's tone, the loving concern in Lilac's expression, broke the lock on Featherfall's private heart and loosed her captive emotions forever. She burst into tears.

At once she was pressed between two warm, comforting bodies. Lilac snuggled open against her left flank, just as she had done so many times when Ana had awakened from a nightmare, nuzzling her gently. From the other side, Chip put a foreleg across her withers and began softly licking her tears away.

Featherfall wept until her sobs subsided to soft, nickering sounds. Her emotions were so complex she could hardly discern one from another. For the first time, she understood that she had wasted her life on pursuing fame and adoration. Had she thought herself devoted to her art? No! Above all, she had been devoted to herself. She hadn't danced for joy or dedication to her craft. She'd danced for the attention, the glory, the fame, the prestige. And she hadn't given a damn about anyone else.

Things were different now. She was different. She had developed real friends, now, friends who truly cared about her. She'd mourned Eun-sook, rejoiced at her return, smiled with Tib…and Lilac, oh, Lilac had been her comfort so many times and never expected so much as a word of thanks in return. Even Chip had shown his affection with his delicious creations, his easy wit, his simple and straightforward support.

She nuzzled Lilac in return, and their mouths met. Lilac kissed her sweetly, and it was nice. So nice. Featherfall turned her head to kiss Chip as well, not wanting him to feel left out. He was a good kisser. Really good.

Things…just sort of progressed from there.

***

Author's Note:

Ponies gettin' frisky!