• Published 18th May 2023
  • 744 Views, 4 Comments

The Dawning of Night - ericson03



Upon the return of the Lunar princess, Equestria shall never be the same. Yet as the gala comes around, she's yet to be found outside the halls of Canterlot castle. Perhaps, like the moon she conjures, she needs a push to reach the dawn of her light.

  • ...
1
 4
 744

2. In the hall of the night queen

Stridding forth with a poised step, we passed the doors of the many chambers lining the walls. It felt nice to be back to luxury, the countryside has its comforts sure, but the feeling of these royal purple carpets beneath my hooves, the dancing flames of candlelight above me and the velvet touch of feathers upon my back? Pure heaven.

Finally arriving by the end of the hall, I felt Celestia remove her wing.

“Feeling ready, Nocturne?” She asked, looking down at me.

“Of course, your majesty.” I said as I prepared myself for a more cordial speech upon our arrival within the gala’s main hall.

Smiling, she nodded to the herald, of whom motioned to the duo of guards standing at each side of the massive door before us. The one to our right stood fast, as the one to our left opened the door just slightly ajar as the herald strode, almost soundlessly, through the passage. Through the gap I heard the voices, laughter and music of over a hundred of guests and servants within. As fast as it came though, it disappeared as the door was closed once more.

Must be some sort of silencing rune, should’ve figured as such from the grand hall itself.

“Nervous?” The voice of the alicorn whispered uncomfortably close to my ear, making it flick.

“No.” I answered almost as a reflex, although if the doubtful look of Celestia was any suggestion, it didn't sound very convincing. “It’s just,” I continued with a sigh. “tonight is important to not just me but to a lot of others I care about.”

“What do you mean?” She asked with a curious expression on her face.

In that moment the chime of runes rang out and the silence spell upon the doors gave way to the muffled sound of trumpets. After their brief whistle, the voice of the herald rang out as the guards started slowly opening the door.

“Announcing her majesty, the princess Celestia Solaris, diarch of Equestria and keeper of the sun! As well as her guest, Nocturne Nox of the starborn!”

“That, Celestia, is a surprise.” I replied with a wink.

Rolling her eyes at my secrecy, she approached first as my senior to the cacophonous roar of hooves on the other side. Passing the threshold, the gleaming shine of thauma powered lights reflected off the gold of her regalia, illuminating her like a rising phoenix as she extended her wings. It was then I truly understood why these ponies worship her, for in that moment she was akin to a goddess.

My momentary awe was cut short however as the guard to my right cleared his throat, motioning to the doorway. Taking it as my signal, I strode forward and with renewed confidence, passed the threshold.

Lights, akin to the sun itself met me. It took not a little willpower to keep my eyes open and fixed in front of me as my vision regained its focus. Then as quickly as it was lost, I regained my sight and what a sight it was!

From ceiling to floor it was one of the grandest halls I had ever set hoof in, only matched in its grandeur by the great halls of the capital. The ceiling, standing 13 meters above us, was of the whitest marble with solid gold ingrained like rivers upon it, forming a map of Equestria itself with each town and city being symbolized via thaumic lights. The brightest one being Canterlot itself, whose thaumic light was set within mirrors of gold, making it seem like a sun that illuminated the gold which Equestria was woven of.

The walls were akin to the roof, laying flat whilst also being made of white marble and having a veritable treasure trove of gold used in its construction. For each wall was segmented with great pillars, engraved with the history of Equestria and Celestia herself.

Within each segment were also two glass surfaces. Up above us laid great paned glass windows picturing great historical events of Equestria, from the banishment of discord to the founding itself.

Below them, at pony height, were the exits leading out to the balcony, these being made of clear glass. The commonality of every window however was, once again, that instead of more common metals as their frame, it was yet more gold.

At each side the hall was cut into, from what I could tell, thirds as giant arches shaped like two alicorns on their hind legs with their horns crossed at each side. Hanging down from the right arch were yellow and blue drapes and from the left yellow and pink, all were ingrained with runes. Finally, at the very end of the room stood the stage, whereupon the band was in silence… Oh. Right.

Finally out of my stupor I strode forward, observing the faces of the many ponies in front of me. It was a veritable plethora of folk, from bejeweled nobles and military officers in dress uniforms to politicians and foreign dignitaries. The ones who made eye contact with me wore expressions of bewilderment at best, and disgust at worst. Most however were focused on Celestia, who parted the crowd as if she was a reincarnation of Moses himself, striding forth to sit at the honors seat just left of the stage on a raised floor. Glancing back at me for a moment, she paused as I did not follow. Motioning to the rightmost arch, she suddenly blinked in realization and gave a small nod, which I returned as I snuck into the crowd.

Finding my way around was actually the easiest part, as my height gave me quite the advantage, it was getting there that was the problem. Being tall isn’t all it's made out to be as, well, you stand out. I made it just about a third of the way to the arch before the whispers began.

“Who is that?”

“Is that a starborn?”

“Who let him in?”

“I think he's a special guest of the crown, I saw him enter soon after the princess.”

“What a garish ensemble, who only brings not but a bag to the Gala?”

“He looks more like a servant than a guest.”

Ignoring their remarks, I continued on. Moving with the swiftness and agility of flowing water, I soon made it to the rightmost archway. Crossing the threshold between one of the openings, the beginning of Celestia’s speech was cut short, as if a flame snuffed out by a strong breeze.

Hm, so that was what those runes were for. Perhaps I ought to visit the royal library before returning home.

Breathing a sigh of relief at my no longer overburdened ears, I observed my surroundings.

This hall, although slightly smaller, had much in common with its larger counterpart. The only notable difference was that instead of glimmering gold and undyed of lights of the larger hall, this hall was laden in silver, and its lights a faded blue color. This left a hall more synergized with the moon, which stood shining in from one of the centermost windows, leaving a more natural feeling than the artificial lights of the first hall.

There were so many ways to describe it but via words or song, one thing above all held true.

It was… *Beautiful.*

It did not wear the bloated grandeur or glory of the first hall. The pillars were untouched, no history was written upon them. Even the great stained windows stood bare, with the exception of two. The one above me, and the one next to it.

The first relative to the entrance displayed a sorrowful sight. Two alicorns. One was of the darkest ebon with a mane of stars, laying defeated admits the rubble of a castle and enshrouded within a ball of twisting light. Then a white one with a mane of rainbows, standing with her head bowed as tears ran down her face. Surrounding the white one were 6 gems, each connected via a string of light which shot out at the field surrounding the black alicorn.

Above both of them, the visage of the moon stood like a ghost, displaying the dark form of the mare in the moon. Down from it, a string was falling, and at its very end, was the fallen alicorn.

“The fall…” I muttered to myself.

It was the first time I had seen it depicted beyond the crypts of the untarnished. There, carved in stone, it felt so cold yet… familiar. Every detail of her face encapsulated, it was as if she rested there along with them, her skin like theirs, turned to stone. Waiting to return.

As if on auto-pilot, my thoughts moved my hooves and shortly thereafter my gaze was fixed upon the second window.

There once again were the two alicorns, the white one was back but in the place of the black one, a smaller blue one now stood. The two, once again in the rubble of a ruin, now stood beneath a moon unmarred by the fall, its clean silver visage shining bright upon them. Instead of a scene of sorrow however, this was one of joy. The two alicorns stood in an embrace, each of them with tears falling from their faces. Surrounding them, 6 mares stood, each in the color of their corresponding gem, each bowing in reverence.

I don't know when the tears started running down my face, but by the time I pulled myself out of my stupor, their drops had dripped on the floor and a forlorn look was upon my face.

The fall cannot be erased, but surely the rise will be to greater heights? Surely…

Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes. Slowly, my mind pulled itself together as I listened to my heart, thumping a slow steady beat.

Opening my eyes once more, I surveyed the hall. Upon the stage stood a small cadre of musicians playing a calm melody, each had a string instrument, a nocturne. How quaint.

Yet, as my eyes scanned the rest of the hall, I noticed only a small number of folk. Where the golden hall had close to just over a hundred guests, this hall scratched barely a third of that number. Most of them seemed to mill around the arches, probably too sensitive to be out on the balcony but still needing respite from the cacophony of the other halls.

One of their number however, stood out. A lone average sized stallion of peacock blue coat and soot black mane, sitting alone at a roundtable, illuminated directly by the moon's light.

Well, at least I didn't need to waste time finding him. Then again, subtlety wasn’t his strong suit.

Taking a step into the shadows, my breath grew shallow, heartbeat slower and with a blink, I was shadow. Viewing the world through the greyscale of the veil, my movement was unhindered by hoof or wind as I slid past the surrounding folk. Twisting and turning, I came upon my target.

Then, stepping slowly out of the shadow cast by his form, I waited.

As he lifted up ruffled his wings in shudder, I struck.

“Hey- WHA!” He half yelled in surprise, his wings stretching out with a *pomf* as his hooves fell out beneath him and his back met the pillow.

“Getting a little old to be taken by surprise at this point, ay, Chase?” I said with a smirk, as I stood directly over him, our bodies nearly pressing against one another.

Looking up at me with indignation, he answered.

“You know how much I hate land! If this was on deck, I would've put you in the ground within a second flat!”

“Well, lucky that i caught such a tasty morsel on solid ground, hm?” I asked with a grin, then before he could react, leant down and gave him a quick little lick and bite to his neck.

The little tease certainly had an effect on the stallion as a blush reddened his face. Despite his many years of combat, he showed none of the fatigue of a veteran. He had a sort of rugged handsomeness to him. It was accentuated by the black crescent branding of a moon upon his left temple, ending just shy of his eye.

Oh how cute, he still kept one of his bangs braided and bleached white. Running down it, small stars of mithril were woven into it, making it shimmer in the moonlight.

Frowning at my teasing, he harrumphed and tried to keep his cool.

“I see you’re as much of a tease as ever.” He said in a hushed tone as I stepped off of him, letting him stand up.

“Some things don't change with time, my friend.”

Glancing towards my periphery, I noticed the glares of many a mare. Each of them spoke in whispers yet I heard them nonetheless, none were too kind. Alas, it is no surprise that people like them wouldn’t take kindly to the closeness between two stallions, but what do they know of such things? Have they ever risked their lives for another? Trusted someone with their very life? Faced certain death and eluded it only via the intervention of the colt next to you? If they had, they wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Returning my attention to the Storm Chaser I smiled as he returned to sitting on his cushion, I too taking a seat on a cushion next to him.

“Hah! For how much you preach about changing ourselves for the better, you seem mighty reluctant to follow along.”

“Well,” I replied as i magicked away a glass of champagne from a bypassing waiter. “I like to think my teasing is part of my charm.”

Taking a sip I continued with a cheeky smile on my face. “Besides, don't act like you don't enjoy it.”

Rolling his eyes, he sank his muzzle into his own glass as I nudged myself and the cushion along to sit right at his side. My side pressed against his wing, forcing him to lift it up and before he had a chance to flee I pushed myself further against him, letting his wing drop down on my back.

“Mmm…” I purred as I settled into my seat, my voice vibrating through the body of my smaller companion. “Now this is a throne fit for a lord.”

Shuffling next me, Chase finally gave up and just went along with it, resting his body against mine. Thus we sat there in silence, just enjoying one another’s presence.

“It's been a long time, you know.” He began. “Since we’ve had a moment to ourselves like this.”

I let out a sigh at the truth. “I know, Chase.” I replied, nuzzling his mane. “I’ve tried juggling duty and friendship but… I am not meant to rule alone. Although i dont show it, these years have been tiring.”

Looking up at me, his amethyst colored eyes sparkled in the moonlight.

“But know this, my friend. By the end of this night, that all will change, I promise.” I said with a soft voice, yet firm certainty, as I leant down and gave his forehead a chaste kiss.

Smiling back at me with affection, the enchantment I had placed upon him seemed to wane. The spectral flash of his fangs glimmering for a moment before reverting to his pegasi disguise.

“I’ll hold you to that.”

“I’m sure you will.”

Smacking my rear with his tail, he snorted.

“You’re damn right I will! Don't want a repeat of the Everbright, now do we?”

I groaned at the memory, almost reflexively applying the champagne to my lips. That had been the night I first discovered this body's tolerance for alcohol, and what it brought out in me.

“Ugh! For the love of night, don't remind me!”

That only seemed to exasperate the problem however as the smug stallion continued.

“Oh, and why ever not? It was quite a sight seeing Eventide of all folk being treated as prey, how many bites did you leave on him again?”

Putting my head on the table, I clamped my hooves against my ears and mumbled.

“Sorry, could you repeat that?”

“14!”

Laughing at my pain, he patted my back with his wing as I grumbled.

“There there, Noxie, if memory serves right, he enjoyed it quite a bit. Though he did have a hard time walking the morning after as you.. Oh what was the term he used?”

"Don't." I moaned.

“Oh right, ‘bucked me through the be-’”

Righting up myself, I was upon the giggling stallion within the blink of an eye as I began laying into him with my magic. The wisps of my aura ran through his coat as he began kicking to kick against me, trying to dislodge me to no avail.

“Suffer my wrath, fiend!” I exclaimed triumphantly.

“Nox- Nocturne please i- Oh god! Stop! I'm sorry!" He managed to get out between his giggling.

Letting out a drawn out humm as I looked at the writhing stallion beneath me, I acquiesced.

“Very well, but you’re getting the little spoon treatment.”

“Nooo…”

“So more tickles?”

Silence.

“That’s what I thought, now get up and get to work, pillow.”

Sighing, he pulled himself up and sat at the center of his cushion. Placing my own behind his, I sat down, letting my frame envelope him and rested my head upon his.

Closing my eyes on top of my fuzzy little perch, I hummed to the tune of the roads go ever on.

“I see you’ve put some weight on.” I heard beneath me.

“Oh hush you, I'm all muscle.” I replied in faux offense.

“Pfft, As if! You’ve gotten fat from all the paperwork.”

“You’re just jealous because I'm warmer than you.”

“What? I am not jealous!”

“Ah ha, so you admit i'm warmer than you?”

Hearing him sputter beneath me, I shuffled a bit as I wrapped my hooves around him, pulling him close. I felt his muscle tense at the motion, no doubt not used to the act after so long apart. Yet a seconds passed, our breathing synchronized, our heartbeats slowed and soon enough he relaxed.

“So,” I broke the silence with a hushed tone. “any news from the others?”

“Not a word.” He replied matter of factly, yet kept his voice equal to mine in volume.

“Well, I suppose that's a good sign if nothing else.”

Humming in agreement, he tapped my right forehoof.

“Could I have my drink?”

Staring down at the glass of rum the stallion had procured, i lifted it up in my aura and brought it over to him.

“Thank you.” I heard beneath me.

“You’re welcome.”

Sitting in silence as we nursed our drinks, we waited.

Author's Note:

More to come, all in due time.