• Published 27th Sep 2012
  • 1,436 Views, 70 Comments

Octavia's Fairy Tale - Psicosis



A small filly dreams of fame, but fame comes with a price.

  • ...
4
 70
 1,436

Sentimental

Two little fillies were leaving their school and celebrating that the weekend was finally here. “Thank Celestia! I could take a break, that school is starting drive me insane” Vinyl said while rolling her eyes around in her head. “Vinyl... you can be so random at times, but let’s get going before crowds start showing up to exorcise you.” Octavia said while giggling. Vinyl smiled, stopped rolling her eyes and they continued their walk back to Vinyl’s home.

“Tavi... I’ve been meaning to ask, but how did you tell your parents you were leaving?” Vinyl whispered so others around her wouldn’t hear her. “Oh yeah... I never explained that did I?,” Octavia said, now thinking back to the day she left.

“I fixed my alarm to go off an hour earlier than they get up and left them a note saying i’d be staying at your place for a while.”

“That’s it... You never said goodbye face to face? Tavi... Do you not think they’re a little hurt that their only daughter left home without so much as a see ya later?”

“They’ll be fine, it’s not like they ever cared before. If they don’t care about me then I won’t care about them!” Octavia said firmly, but her face showed the opposite. “Alright, relax; we’re here. So lets go inside and get something to eat. Vinyl said while pushing her front door open. They both walked in and headed for the kitchen to be greeted by Vinyl’s father who was cooking something on the cooker.

“Welcome back girls, how was school?” He said while flipping a pancake in the frying pan. The girls took their seats around the table and placed their saddlebags on the floor. “It was meh.” The two of them responded in unison. “Well have I got something that’ll brighten up your day,” He replied while tipping some pancakes onto two separate plates. He levitated the plates over to the table and placed both plates in front of them. “Enjoy!” He said, giving them both a huge smile.

“Thanks!” They both said in unison once again as they reached for a pancake. “Umm I’m terribly sorry, but I don’t know your name, mind if I ask what it is?” Octavia asked Vinyl’s father as he was walking away. He stopped before he left the room and spun round and tried to imitate a hip hop dancer by standing on his back hooves and crossing his front hooves. “My names Ty... But all my cool peeps call me T because that’s just how I roll.” He said in an almost singing tone then got back to his normal standing position.

Octavia laughed and Vinyl lower her head trying to hide. “Dad... You’re so uncool.” Vinyl said, watching her father walk away with a grin on his face. “Oh wow Vinyl, your father is truly something.” Tavi said, going back to her pancakes. “Yep... He’s really special.” She said with a hint of admiration in her voice. “Vinyl, I have to go run an errand soon; so I'll be back in a bit.” Octavia said, finishing the last of her pancakes. “An errand? Alright then, I’ll be here.” Vinyl said.

Octavia got off her chair, picked her saddlebag up again and left the house; leaving Vinyl to her pancakes. ‘I wonder what she’s doing? Well whatever it is I hope she hurries, I wanna get some practice done today.’ Vinyl thought as she put her plate on the kitchen counter.

KNOCK KNOCK

“Dad! Can you get the door!?” Vinyl shouted into the living room. She could hear her father shifting to get up and eventually he made it to the door. She could hear voices and then several hoofsteps heading towards the kitchen. “Hello again Vinyl.” A voice said. Vinyl’s heart skipped a beat, she knew that voice. She turned around to confirm her fears, she was standing face to face with Sow. “Oh hi... I’m guessing you're looking for Octavia, huh?” Vinyl whispered, looking into her eyes. “Yes, is she here?” Sow asked while her eyes scanned the room.

“No she’s not here, she’s out doing an errand of some sort.”

“An errand? What is she doing?”

“To be honest, I don’t actually know. She just told me it wouldn’t take her long and she’ll be back soon.”

“I see... Would it be alright if I waited here on her?”

“That’s fine, but where is my dad?”

“He... thinks its best if we all talk without him.”

“But why?”

“Whenever my daughter returns I will explain everything, I promise.”

“Okay then...” Vinyl said awkwardly, she didn’t like the sound of what was going on. They both took seats at the table; time seemed to go much slower and things starting to become a little awkward. “So... How’s school?” Sow asked, trying to break the discomfort. Vinyl just shrugged and said “It’s alright, I guess.” Her mind was too worried to hold a normal conversation.

A few more silent minutes passed until the front door finally opened and little hoofsteps could be heard in the hallway. Sow smiled and turn around to face the kitchen door, but Vinyl’s heart started to beat faster; she didn’t know how Octavia would react to seeing her mother.

Octavia walked into the kitchen, her saddlebags swinging by her sides. She froze at the doorway, her smile vanished when she laid eyes on her mother. “Mother... What are you doing here?” Octavia asked, her mind trying to think of possible reasons. Sow’s smile seemed to have faded too. “That’s not the best greeting I’ve ever gotten, but... I guess it’s understandable. Octavia could you please take a seat, I have something important to tell you.” Sow said, looking at her daughter and motioning to the chair at the other side of the table.

Octavia did what she was asked and took her seat. Vinyl said nothing, she just looked around the room in discomfort. All three of them could feel it was awkward, but Sow decided to finally speak. “So... as I promised young Vinyl here, I will explain everything now, but please... don’t interrupt until I finish speaking. This could be a little long,” Sow said, looking at the fillies. They both nodded in agreement and kept their eyes on Sow.

“I know this is going to come as a shock to the both of you, but... Lever and I decided to move to Manehatten. There is too much sad memories here in Ponyville, and we need a fresh start, somewhere we can become a family again. I know you’ll protest Octavia... But it’s really for the best and I know this short notice, but we’re leaving tomorrow night. We already have our stuff packed and a service ordered to bring us to Manehatten... I’m so sorry... to both of you, but it’s truly for the best.”

Sow finished her story and let out a long breath; the two fillies were staring at her in disbelief. Octavia was the first to speak. “You’re so sorry... You’re so sorry... How could you do this to me?... I finally begin to fit in and you’re taking it away from me! Is this your way of redemption!? Did you honestly think this will make our bad memories disappear!? We’re a broken family and it’s all we’ll ever be, no matter what we do!” Octavia said, trying to keep her voice steady and her tears behind her eyes, but her voice was cracking.

Vinyl couldn’t say anything, she was just trying to get it around her head. “I’m sorry Octavia, but it’s for the best whether you see it or not. We’re leaving tomorrow, but I’ll allow you to stay here for tonight... You two should be allowed one last night together...” Sow whispered and got off her chair. She started to head towards the front door, but turn around to say one last thing. We’ll be expecting you at our house tomorrow... Good bye Octavia, I love you.” She walked out of the house with a little tear hanging in her eye.

Octavia and Vinyl sat at the table, still not wanting to accept what they had just heard. “Is this it?... Is this the end of our friendship?” Vinyl asked. Octavia said nothing, she just stayed silent. “Tavi... Let’s go to my room. There’s no point staying here.” Vinyl said while heading for her room. Octavia nodded and got off her chair, picked up her saddlebag and followed Vinyl.

They entered her room and Vinyl shut the door behind Octavia. Octavia placed her saddlebag onto the floor and took a small white box out of it. “I know now probably isn’t the best time, but... I don’t see a better one on the horizon anytime soon. I got you a gift for being such a great friend to me. Please open it.” Octavia said, handing the box to Vinyl. “You really didn’t have to do that, but thank you. Thank you Octavia...” Vinyl whispered while smiling. She took the purple ribbon off the white box and opened it. The contents were hidden by a white wrapper, she removed it to see what was underneath it.

Vinyl stared at the contents of the box. It was a pair of glasses with a black rim and a dark purple tinted lense. She picked them up, smiled and placed them upon her face. “Thanks Tavi... I love them, but I’m sorry. I didn’t get you anything...” Vinyl said, with little tears in her eyes, but the shades were hiding them from Octavia’s view. “No it’s alright, you already give me the best gift... Thank you for being my friend Vinyl...” Octavia said with a lump in her throat.

“Wait...” Vinyl said with a look on her face as if she was thinking. Vinyl moved towards her drawer and started looking around in them until she pulled something out. “Found it! I don’t really like stuff like this and I think it’s more your style than mine.” Vinyl said, presenting a bowtie to Octavia. It had a white circle so it could be placed around the neck of the wearer and a light purple bowtie at the front of it. “My father got me it, you know he works as a tie maker and everything, but It’s not my kind thing so yeah... Here try it on.” Vinyl said while fixing the bowtie around Octavia’s neck.

Vinyl stepped back to get a better look at Octavia, she smiled and nodded her head. “Wow... You really do suit that Tavi.” She said with a big grin on her face. Octavia looked down at the bowtie, a little smile in the corner of her mouth. “Thanks Vinyl... You truly are amazing.” Octavia said while wrapping her arounds her friend in a hug. “Hey... You’re making me blush Tavi, but... Thank you too, for everything.” Vinyl said as she returned the hug.

They stood there for several minutes, not wanting to break apart. This moment in time for them two was perfect, they never wanted it to end, but knew it had too. “Hey Tavi... Let’s get some sleep, it’s quite late now.” Vinyl whispered in Octavia’s ear. “Sure.” Octavia replied as she broke the hug. They both climbed into bed, but this time they didn’t face away from each other. Vinyl held Octavia in her hooves while Octavia leaned against her. “Vinyl... Let’s not sleep yet, I don’t want this moment to end.” Octavia whispered in the darkness of room. “Okay Tavi...” Vinyl replied.

They both lay there in each other hooves, listening to the other breath and their heartbeat drumming against each them. Their thoughts flying through their minds in rapid speed, but eventually they both closed their eyes and slumber took them both.

******

The alarm clock rang and they both sat up with quick speed, both of their worlds froze as that alarm clock continued it’s song. They looked into each others puffy eyes, both with the exact same thoughts. “Today’s the day...” Vinyl whispered, looking at Octavia. Octavia said nothing, she just climbed out of bed and looked out the window at Celestia’s sun high in sky.

She began to pack slowly, placing the remainder of her items back into her suitcase while Vinyl sat there in silence. Vinyl took her shades off and placed them on the cabinet beside her bed, her eyes began to display the tears she had been trying to hard to hide. “Tavi... Do you think we’ll ever see each other again?” Vinyl asked, her voice dry. Octavia turned around her, her eyes filled with sorrow. “I don’t know Vinyl... I just don’t.” Octavia said, staring into the wet eyes of her best friend.

She finished up her packing, closed the suitcase and dragged it towards the door with Vinyl following her. “Please let me get that for you... It might be the last time I ever do.” Vinyl said as she levitated Octavia’s suitcase into the air. Octavia smiled at her and began to walk downstairs, with Vinyl right behind her. They stepped out into the hallway and opened the front door, making ponyville visible to them. “So I guess this is goodbye...” Vinyl said as she stared out at the town.

“Yeah...” Octavia replied, looking at the floor. Vinyl placed the suitcase beside Octavia and embraced her friend in a hug once more. “Tavi whatever you do please don’t forget me, I’ll never forget you.” Vinyl said, her tears now falling freely from her eyes. “I promise to never forget you... I love you.” Octavia whispered into her friend’s ear while she looked at the bowtie around her neck.

They separated once more and Vinyl looked into her friend’s eye. “I love you too...” Vinyl whispered. Octavia smiled and picked up her suitcase. “Goodbye Vinyl...” Octavia said, her tears running down her cheeks. She turned around and walked away from her friend into the crowd of the town. Lost in crowd, Vinyl could no longer see her. She closed the door and began walking back to her room, their worlds separated once more, but hope still lay in their hearts.