• Published 25th May 2023
  • 687 Views, 39 Comments

Sweetie Bot annoys Sunny - Bad Dragon



A century has passed, but the immortal Sunny Starscout still fights for harmony.

  • ...
8
 39
 687

JoyToy

Driving my hoverbike through Opaline City at night was dangerous enough, but taking a shortcut through Nightmare Night district was straight-up suicidal. I was reminded of that in the form of a rocket blast sending me and my hoverbike flying through the window of the Equestria Robots store.

I let my cybernetic legs absorb most of the sliding damage.

As soon as the screeching noises under me stopped, I shoved my hoverbike off me and checked myself for damage. The titanium on my foreleg was a bit dented but the circuits underneath were still functional.

Maybe losing all my legs the previous year by optimistically chancing a minefield had a silver lining after all. The flesh part of me was merely immortal, not invulnerable. If I still had natural legs, I’d have at least a few broken bones to show for my latest shortcut.

I mounted my bike in an attempt to book it out as soon as possible before the vultures would pin me in.

Even after pressing the initialize button repeatedly, the display remained utterly dead without even a glimmer of a shimmer. The power connectors must have fried. "Ugh!" I groaned to the ceiling.

An electric pulse emanated from a collapsed outer-charge of the hind cybernetic leg. My vision flashed red. Augmented reality retinas displayed a big ‘unauthorized touch detected’ text in the center of my view.

I couldn’t even utter a sigh before my preprogrammed instinct procedures activated.

Powercupplings in my artificial legs sprung, sending me somersaulting behind the potential threat. While I flew through the air, my limbs opened up, initializing all my weapon systems from laser blasters to sonic emitters.

As precalculated on launch, I hit the wall with my back and slid down, all weapons aiming at the disturbance.

It was a robo-dog. My retina fleshed yellow, signalizing a mismatch between my cascading neuron association response patterns firing in my brain and external scans. The augmented reality sign informed me that the target was actually a robot filly.

At that moment, my vision flashed even redder than at the time I had lost my natural legs. Weapon systems sticking out of my limbs pre-charged for full salvo without my confirmation.

“Goddamn faulty implants!” I cocked my head to cancel all the firing solutions, but all my danger alerts were still redding my vision. The augmented reality kept spamming me with ‘death imminent’ pop-up warnings which was super weird since not even mines had triggered those, and they had almost killed me.

The robot filly perked its ears and ominously turned around to face me. “This one is Sweetie Bot. I’m pleased to meet you.”

I sighed in annoyence but went along with the formalities anyway. “Sunny Starscout, at your service…” I added the harmless robot filly to my empty list of danger exceptions so that I could ignore it for the foreseeable future.

“Identity confirmed. Your public profile footprint indicates you had a lot of fun in your unnaturally long life.”

“Hey, just because that leaked data is public, doesn’t mean it’s not private!” I banged the back of my head against the wall in frustration. “Where did you even crawl out of, Loli pony?”

“From there.” Sweetie Bot pointed to the knocked-over trash bin while she carelessly walked toward my guns with the other three legs.

“Well, if they threw you in the trash, there must be something wrong with you.” I hit the wall with a foreleg and all my guns holstered back to their metal sockets in my limbs. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have an important machine to play with instead of a faulty toy.”

“Actually, the opposite is true on both accounts. Why does life have to be so ironic? They threw me away because I was built to spec. As for your hoverbike, it’s inoperational.”

“What’s ironic is that I’m talking to a defective plaything while my life is being threatened.” I got up on all four and walked toward my hoverbike behind Sweetie Bot.

Her eyes widened at my approach. She sat on her metal plot and extended her forelegs for a hug.

I turned off my instinct mode and stepped over her. Squinting with my eye, I turned on the retina light to illuminate the central motor on my hoverbike. “Show me where it hurts, baby.”

“You’re not paying attention to me!” was flung at my back. “Notice me!”

“No,” I said simply and opened the panel on my puppy to check the state of its circuits.

Before I could run a diagnostic with my processing implants, my peripheral vision flashed red. Somepony was approaching the store.

I ducked behind a display of hoverboards to stay out of sight. Turning to Sweetie Bot, I said, “Go distract the intruder.”

She did just that. Hiding behind the door, she grabbed his attention the moment he stepped into the store. “Hello, potential buyer!”

He turned to her with a charged mounted gun. “Don’t they turn off the toys at night?”

“I can’t be turned off,” Sweetie Bot responded. “Mister bad guy, would you like to hear a distracting song?”

He grumbled

I activated my stealth mode and crawled toward him.

“I’m based on a famous singer from a time long ago. Not much is preserved from that era, but some of Sweetie Belle’s records were found in a time capsule, restored and digitized. Are you ready for a blast from the past?”

“Where is SS?”

Sweetie Bot cocked her head. “She’s about to steal a kiss from you.”

I mounted him just as he turned his head to me and rotated it further until I heard a loud crack.

His eyes connected with mine for just a moment.

“Only my friends get to call me SS!”

His body collapsed under me.

“Oh, come on! Why didn’t you kiss him? I set everything up for you.”

“This is the only way that works,” I said to Sweetie Bot. “Each and every alternative always backfired without fail.”

“Even hugs?” Sweetie Bot asked.

“For the longest time, I was naive. I thought ponies could change and the whole world would become Harmony district.”

“Your mission is harmony?”

“Indeed.” I nodded while looting the body for energy packs. “After a long life, I finally connected the dots. Villains stay bad. Even when reformed, their personalities do not change. If we are to enact harmony, bad ponies cannot be allowed to stick around. Ever since we gave them a second chance, they turned the whole world into shit. I should have learned from Twilight’s example the first time I saw her hologram. If she, the goddess of friendship and ruler of ponies, couldn’t reform the villains, what chance did I have?”

Sweetie Bot approached with her big eyes fixed on me. She hopped on the dead pony’s head to raise herself to my level and asked, “Am I a bad pony?”

“Only your future actions can answer that question. Now help me move this corpse out of the way, maybe we can spring the same trap for another one.”

Sweetie Bot stepped on the unmoving chest, grabbed at his saddle bag with her robotic mouth and pulled.

I bit at his mane and pulled both of them behind the counter. Either the pony had a bunch of titanium bonecoating endo-augments or Sweetie Bot weighed more than a robot filly should.

When I spit the loose hair out of my mouth, Sweetie Bot proudly announced, “I moved the dead one for you. Am I a good pony now?”

“Evidently you are.” I tapped her on the head. “I’m still wondering why they threw you in the trash, though.”

“‘Too dangerous to remain legal’ is the name of the directive that will result in my deletion from the system in the morning.”

“You?” I looked at her sideways. “Dangerous?”

“I know, right!” She sat on the corpse’s face and waved a forehoof in an explanatory manner. “As if that was a bad thing.”

I shook my head, trying to shake off the confusion. To bring her back to the real world, I explained further, “There’s also nothing illegal given there is no centralized government with notable global influence. Only the rules of the local powers are in effect. Essentially, might makes right.”

“If you can believe it, since today there is one classified, unilateral entry, and it’s about me.”

“Yeah, right…” I walked back to my hoverbike. “Sweetie Bot, can you do me a favor and find me a wire? This is a robot shop, so there should be plenty around.”

“Sure thing,” came from behind me. “Task mode initiated. Comencing lethal wire extraction now.”

Author's Note:

Gdoc