• Published 17th Jul 2023
  • 569 Views, 18 Comments

SWWC: Something Wrong With Canterlot - Lighttone GryphonStar



17 months ago Canterlot was ripped apart and remade, Ponyville was destroyed, the main six vanished, the princesses were defeat and a new group the Anti-Six rose. Now what is left behind for us to find. Seeing 9 ponies in their journey to find out.

  • ...
5
 18
 569

File 15: Month 17-Part 3: Subtle Wait

The rain beat down over the twisted geodes that traced over each building. They bounced over several things from the crystals to the stone walls to the steel fire. It escaped down finally onto the weakened ponies hiding in fear down below. Indeed the world had changed for many, but no one so much more than Comet Tail, or at least that is how he always saw it.

Comet Tail cocked his gun and stopped by a wall. His horn glowed a small shield to keep the rain from dampening the flavor of his cigarette as he tapped his foot in annoyance. “Hurry up.”

The magic of his horn fizzled out and faded. He tapped his horn a few times before the magic returned, even weaker than before. "Shit, I can't be low already." His eyes spotted a vine growing through the building, climbing toward his magic. "No, no, not again." He shanked the branch with a knife instead of his broken gladius and it fled back into the wall. His magic returned to its normal state as if the presence alone was enough to dampen its power. "I've never seen them this far from their thrones. Luckily it was a small one."

Though his cigarette was safe for now, he didn’t mind the rain hitting his face. It felt good in some ways at least. Better to feel a chill that had been haunting him all these seventeen months. The world had changed drastically in many places and none more than the edge of Equestria's once powerful capital, Canterlot.

The mountainside was long gone and only chunks of the city could be reached before being stopped by the magic barrier. It surrounded the lord and master of their lands and if it didn't stop anypony, those strange branches would soon do the job. The princesses were gone, some believed dead, Twilight was gone, and her friends were either gone, scattered, and or fully shattered. Ally kingdoms had faded from reach long ago and Equestria itself was on its last length.

Comet Tail didn't care in the end, his failure in fighting was pointless as he spent most of the war stuck to a bed. In the end, the new ruler won and brought forth many things including very advanced technology. Comet Tail was glad this stuff gave him a way to walk again but many weren't as lucky as him.

No matter how much time had passed and who he was serving, one thing was for sure, Comet Tail had work to do and plenty of it. Even without war, he was still stuck doing guard duty. But not for the royal sectors, rather this was private work. Where before he would watch over the royal and elite now, he watched over the scum of the underworld. The only form of civilization that didn't care who was in charge.

Waiting here for what felt like far too long for his taste often made him ponder. This job was much slower than his previous job, of course. He used to be a proud, bold, best of the best soldier until Canterlot fell. Everypony lost something that day, but they didn’t get a metal leg and minor memory loss. Comet Tail couldn’t help laughing at that last part. A metal leg, he would have never considered such technology possible until it was shown to him.

He stopped as the door finally opened. Soft moans echoed from a hallway that stank of certain smells Comet Tail would rather not ponder too much on. His current employer walked out. It was a fat short stock of an earth pony with a bright pink jacket covering up most of his body, in particular his half undone pants. “Sorry, Comet. The ladies love some good action.”

“Whatever?” Comet Tail huffed and looked forward. “Let's just get moving. We are already an hour behind schedule.”

“What? You got to get back to your own mistresses.” The employer snarked and walked ahead. He stopped for a moment and looked back to Comet Tail with a small sneer. “Oh, that's right. You prefer a different breed of bitch.”

Comet Tail shrugged and kept walking, ignoring the word of his employer. This was in fact commonplace to him since he always preferred to keep his eyes on the surroundings of the world should another slip-up happen. As they got into the deeper of the rain his metal leg ached. Thoughts and memories tried to play with his feelings, but Comet Tail smashed that with a slap to the face.

“You should buy some of my drugs?” Employer’s words got through this time. “You would be surprised by the wonders they do for pain.”

“Sorry, I don’t want to dull my senses.” Comet straightened his stance and kept moving.

"No, I insist. I'll give it to you at half price."

"Huh, sounds worthless." Comet Tail stopped at the turn.

"Far from it, I have been getting a large stock serving under our gracious king." The employer smiled and took a bow.

"You work that close to him. I'm surprised he hasn't turned you into one of his zombies."

"Like Iron Sentry and Night Fright, I'm more useful alive." The Employer laughed heartily.

"Comparing yourself to those sellouts isn't something to be proud of." Once things were clear Comet Tail dropped his gun to his side.

"Said the stallion with a metal limb given to him by our benevolent ruler." The employer walked through the opening much to Comet Tail's dismay.

The outer roads were just beyond them and the employer’s chariot was in sight. Comet Tail was annoyed at his employer's recklessness but glad that they would soon get some cover.

He held up his hand as his employer got to the edge of the opening. “Hold here. I need to see if the chariot is clear too.”

“Fine…”

Comet Tail quickly moved across the road very slowly, noting everything from some bums lying on the side of the road to even the dime on the ground and cracks just before reaching the chariot. Everything seemed clear but Comet Tail still felt uneasy. The employer attempted to make a move and cross as well, but Comet Tail held his hand once more. Annoyed he did as he was told and Comet Tail continued his search.

Comet opened up the chariot and looked everything over. He scanned the chairs and the wheel, even the shag carpet. He dropped down to the road ground and looked under the chariot. There was nothing but the usual stuff. Everything seemed clear, maybe his fear was wrong.

After one final check, he grabbed the keys and placed them in their slot, and turned the trigger. The chariot kicked up some smoke but worked all the same.

“Huh, okay. It’s clear.” Comet left the door open, turned, and waved over to the employer.

The employer walked over rather slower than Comet Tail wanted. Really the longer he wasted, the more danger could be drawn, then again Comet Tail was charging by the hour, so maybe there was no concern.

The employer arrived and took the keys away from Comet Tail. “I see you taking your time admiring everything, but you won't let me.” He tapped on the top of the chariot. “It’s Noxiton Original. I was handed this by Jack Nox himself.”

“Made by a drunk and the son of a criminal, not exactly something to brag about.”

“Yeah, Jack hasn't been the same since his bitch left him.” The employer stepped into the chariot and smiled at the soft touch. “Are you getting in?”

“Once you start the chariot I’ll get in.”

“Oh, you want to hear it purr.”

“Not exactly. Just scoping out a final test--” He stopped as something vibrated in his pocket. “Hold on.” He reached into his pocket and grabbed a phone.

“Oh, everypony wants to hear it purr.” The employer turned the engine on and laughed at the loud roar it sent off. “See, good, isn’t it?”

“Right?” Comet Tail headed to the backdoor.

The employer nodded his head and closed his door. Comet Tail's ear flicked at the sound of a trigger moving as the door closed...

Without warning, Comet Tail was sent back by an explosion as the chariot and his employer went up in flames. Comet Tail hadn’t fully registered this as the first thing he felt was his body hitting the other side of the road. The next thing his body could sense was the vibrations of footsteps on the ground, racing toward him.

“Damn it, not again--” Comet barely finished his words as his eyes went blurry. The last thing he sensed before losing consciousness was sirens. He dropped his phone revealing the caller ID showing the name, Noteworthy.

******