• Published 8th Apr 2023
  • 301 Views, 13 Comments

Through the Looking Glass and into Wonderland - Babroniedad



Sunset and Aiko run away from Canterlot through Starswirls Portal.

  • ...
5
 13
 301

03 - Back to School

Sunset woke to realize Sister Mary was missing. She had rolled over and snuggled up with Aiko, waking find Sister Mary was no longer sleeping between them.

“Aiko, wake up!” Sunset called out to her sister, shaking her gently.

“Hi Sunny, is it time to get up already?” she asked sleepily, one eye barely open.

“Aiko! Sister is missing! Did she leave us?” asked Sunset, alarmed.

Aiko woke completely, sitting up and looking around. “Huh!” she commented, turning to her sister. “I wonder where she went?”

The girls quickly hopped off the bed, darting from the room in their nightgowns to search their home for their missing guardian.

“Sunset! I hear something, over here,” called out Aiko quietly. She was next to the guest bathroom. The door was closed, but the sound of running water and gentle humming could be heard from beyond the door.

Sunset tried the door, opening it slightly. Peeking through, they saw Sister Mary singing in the shower. “Sister Mary?” Sunset called out.

Sister Mary stopped her humming, looking over and spying the girls in the doorway. “Good morning girls! I’ll be out in a minute. Go get ready and I’ll meet you in the bedroom.” She turned back into the water, finishing her shower.

“Okay!” Sunset called out, shutting the door. Looking at Aiko, she asked, confused. “Ready for what?”

Aiko shrugged. “Don’t know. The day I guess. Let's get ready so we don’t keep her waiting.” Taking Sunset’s hand, she led her back into their bedroom where the sun was just beginning to rise behind them, the clouds gathering the morning’s colors. They raced over to the dresser and threw on their clothes, then sat on the bed to wait for Sister.

A few moments later, Sister Mary entered wearing a towel with her hair wrapped in a towel as well. “Good morning girls!” she greeted, heading over to the dresser where her clothes and travel bag lay. She quickly dressed, then combed out and dried her hair as best she could, tucking it all under her habit which she donned.

Turning to the girls, she smiled. “Ready to head back to the mission? We have breakfast to prepare, and hungry people to feed.” The girls nodded happily, so taking them by the hand, she led them out and into the foyer where they found the elevator ready to take them down to the lobby. “Thank you, Ailene,” Sister said as they rode down looking out at the waking city below them.

“You are most welcome,” came Ailene’s voice from the elevator. “I will take care of Fae until your return. Have a wonderful day young mistresses, and you as well Sister Mary.”

Sister Mary chuckled. “We will, and thank you,” she said as the elevator doors opened out into the lobby. A limo was waiting for them in the drive away before the building, the driver in his uniform smiling as he waved them over and into the car.

“Sister Mary? I presume I am your ride? And these must be Sunset and Aiko?” he asked as they entered.

"Yes, thank you,” responded Sister as they entered the back of the car.

“I am your driver for this morning. I presume you are returning to the mission?” he asked.

“That is correct. Thank you,” answered Sister Mary sitting between the girls.

“Excellent,” replied the driver, shutting their door. He moved quickly around the car, entering and taking his seat. They pulled out into the light morning traffic heading back to the mission.

Sister Mary hugged the girls, smiling. “Thank you for that wonderful night. That was fun. But starting tomorrow, you will have a different schedule,” she informed them.

“What? What’s happening tomorrow?” Aiko asked.

“I discussed it with Ailene this morning before you woke. Tomorrow is the first day of school for you two at Canterlot Academy. You will be joining your friend Miss Shimmer during the school day starting tomorrow,” explained Sister Mary. The girls squirmed in their seats, both doing a little happy dance at the news. Sister grinned. “That means that from now on during school days, you will eat with Fae there, then immediately afterwards go downstairs to your ride to school. When your classes are over, your ride will pick you up and bring you back to Father John and I at the mission.”

Sunset frowned. “Does that mean we don’t get to help you anymore?” she asked.

“For breakfast? No, not on schooldays. You will still be my helpers for dinner though, unless you are scheduled for something else,” Sister answered.

“Something else? Like what?” asked Aiko.

Sister smiled. “Like your play-date with Miss Shimmer this week,” she replied. “I’m sure she wants you over right after school, and I would imagine she would like very much if you ate dinner with her and her parents. Though if it is on a school night, I have to insist that you return home soon enough to get to bed on time. We don’t want grumpy girls going to class the next day overtired because they stayed up too late.” She grinned, giving them both a hug.

Sunset and Aiko smiled, hugging her back. “I hope it’s soon,” said Sunset. “She was a lot of fun.”

“I hope it’s not too soon,” said Aiko. “I was kind of hoping we would get to have a sleepover with her. We can’t do that on a school night.”

“Well, if that’s what you want, you should ask her if you can turn your visit into a sleepover when you see her at school tomorrow. If her parents and her agree, we can schedule it to happen,” suggested Sister Mary. The girls nodded in agreement.

The driver pulled up before the mission, hoping out and opening the door for them. Sister thanked him, as did the girls. He shut the door behind them, driving off as they entered the mission with Sister Mary. They headed straight for the kitchen where they washed up and began preparing breakfast for their flock.


One happy breakfast and cleanup later, the girls were back in Sister Mary’s room reading while Sister took care of some of the mission business.

Sunset looked up from her book. “I wonder what school is going to be like?” she asked.

Aiko nodded. “It certainly won’t be anything like we remember. Do you remember anything yet about before we came through that portal?”

Sunset frowned. “No. Well just a little. I remember school, sort of. We were all gathered in a room and the princess was teaching us stuff. It was just you and I and the two others we remembered before.”

“Yeah, I don’t think that’s what school is going to be like now. I don’t think they have princesses teaching everyone. And I bet there are more creatures in the class too,” agreed Aiko.

“Creatures?” asked Sunset.

“I mean, people,” corrected Aiko, recalling the correct term.

“I guess we’ll find out tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing Shimmer again. Though I am going to miss sleeping with Sister, and helping out around here so much,” responded Sunset.

“True,” admitted Aiko. “It will be different. But at least we are still together, and we get to be her in the afternoon, after school.”

“Right, when we don’t have to be somewhere else. And I am glad we’ll be together. I don’t want to be apart from my sister,” smiled Sunset.

“Me either!” agreed Aiko. Smiling, they went back to reading their books.

A while later Sister Mary entered the room, smiling at the girls reading on her bed. “I don’t know why I am surprised, but you both continue to amaze and delight me,” she smiled, sitting down between them.

Snuggling up, Sunset looked up, setting the book aside. “Why do you say that?” she asked.

Sister laughed, hugging them both tightly. “Well, I don’t know how to tell you girls this, but it’s not a very common sight to see two six year old girls happily reading chapter books in their room,” she grinned.

“Why not? Books are good. They have lots of information in them, and the stories are really cool,” explained Sunset.

Still laughing, Sister explained. “Because most six year old children have not learned to read yet. And if they can, they are reading very simple books, not theses,” she said, holding up one of the hundred plus page chapter books they had been reading.

“But these books are really good! Why wouldn’t they want to read them?” asked Sunset.

“Oh I’m sure they want to hear the stories. They just haven’t learned their letters well enough to read and tell them to themselves. Another reason for me to believe your story,” commented Sister, hugging them tightly. “I don’t imagine the two of you will have much issue at the academy. If anything, they will want to advance you. That’s fine, but don’t leave your friend behind. My advice to you, if you excel, tutor and help young Miss Shimmer so she can keep up with you. You wouldn’t want to leave her behind.”

“No way! We’re sisters! Or at least I think we are. But anyways no way are we leaving her behind. Where we go, she goes,” agreed Sunset. Aiko smiled and nodded.

Sister gave them both another squeeze. “You two are wonderful little girls.” They both smiled, basking in the praise.

After several moments, Sister hugged them once more and got up. “Okay, a few more things for me to do, then it will be time to prepare for lunch. Do you want to help?” she asked. They both nodded enthusiastically. “Okay, I’ll come get you when I’m ready. See you in a bit, girls.” Smiling, Sister Mary left to run her errands.

Sunset and Aiko continued their reading until Sister came back for them, fetching them to help set up for lunch. As usual, towards the end Father John showed up, helping them move everything out to feed the flock who had gathered. Together they served everyone, then themselves, enjoying their meal together. When everyone was finished, Father took a moment to explain a few things to them.

“Okay girls. Tomorrow is the first day of school, so I’ve asked Sister Mary if she could help you get ready for tomorrow and she agreed,” Father explained.

Sister Mary laughed. “Wild horses couldn’t stop me,” she grinned, getting a smile from the girls. “Or even wild foxes.” That got a laugh from them both.

“So,” continued Father with a smile, “after you’ve finished cleaning up, Sister Mary will take you out to get all the supplies you will need for school, as well as make sure your uniforms are clean and ready. And tomorrow morning, Fae will help you get ready and get you off to your first day at school. You can tell us all about it when you get back.”

The girls excitedly agreed with the plan. Father left to tend to their flock, while Sister Mary and the girls cleaned up from lunch and put the food away. When they were done and had cleaned up from their efforts, Sister took them by the hands and led them out to the front of the mission where a limo was again waiting with a familiar driver.

“Hello again, girls! And Sister! I have the pleasure of being your driver again today,” said the man, the same one who had told them about the service and his company the other day. “Where to today?”

“Shopping!” answered Sister Mary with a laugh. “The girls are starting at Canterlot Academy tomorrow, and we need to pick up some supplies for them.”

“Say no more!” said the man with a smile. “My grandkids just went through the same ordeal. I know just the place.” Sister and the girls entered the limo, then closing the door, the driver entered through his door and pulled out into the traffic. “So have you ever been to Barnyard Bargains? They’re the biggest superstore out here, they have everything you’ll need for school,” called out their driver as they crossed the city heading for the suburbs. “It’s where my grandkids just got all their supplies. We’re almost there.”

They pulled into the lot of a large retail store, stopping in the loading zone. While everyone gawked at the limo, wondering who was going to come out, the driver rounded the car and opened the door, helping Sister Mary and the girls out. When everyone saw the people getting out of the limo were a nun and two little girls, they just laughed and shook their heads. So much for getting a shot of someone famous slumming it.

The girls and Sister entered the store while the driver parked the limo in the far corner of the lot, waiting for them to need him again.

When they entered, Aiko and Sunset’s eyes went wide. “Wow!” said Sunset. “I don’t think even the market could compete with this. This place is huge!”

“What are those?” asked Aiko, pointing to several rows of kiosks where people were demonstrating different products to small crowds of shoppers.

“Oh, that’s just something they do on the weekend. They invite different vendors in to demonstrate their products, and provide free samples to drum up business. Do you want to take a look? We have some time if you’re curious,” Sister answered. The girls nodded, so Sister took them over to the displays.

The first one was some kind of frozen juice treat. The vendor was speaking to a woman, but seeing Sister and the girls looking over his wares, he smiled and encouraged them to try some samples out, then went back to his discussion. They tried several of the flavors, the small samples providing a taste of the product.

“These are really good. We should get some,” said Sunset. Aiko agreed, so Sister made a note of it and they moved on. After trying all of the food samples and listening to some of the more interesting product demonstrations, they moved on from the displays to the school supplies, where Sister helped them pick out the supplies they would need. They also picked up a backpack for Aiko, as she didn’t bring one with her through the portal. Sunset was going to stick with her transformed saddle bags, using them as her school backpack. They also picked up some lunch kits, though Sister explained they would most likely be eating most of their lunches in the school cafeteria with Shimmer.

After gathering everything they would need, they got into one of the lines to checkout, moving forward with their cart. When they got to the front of the line, Sister Mary handed the list she made to the cashier. “We also need these gathered and delivered to this address. If you could please include these in our total it would be greatly appreciated,” smiled Sister.

The cashier nodded, paging the floor manager for approval. He came over, took one look at the address and agreed on the spot to take care of it. Sister thanked him while the cashier rang up their total. Sister handed over a card, which she took and scanned. Printing out their receipt and total, Sister signed for the amount and placed the receipt and card back into her pocket.

“What was that thing? How did you pay for everything with just a piece of plastic? We didn’t have to give them any bits?” asked Sunset in surprise as they wheeled their cart out to the loading zone. Seeing them exit, the driver parked in the loading zone again, and taking the cart from Sister Mary, opened the door for them then loaded their purchases into the trunk. Returning the cart to the cart queue, he shut their door and returned to his seat to drive them to their home.

While he was doing that, Sister Mary explained what the little plastic card was. “That little card represents all your, ah… bits, that we placed in the bank with Stewart. That way, you can get what you need without having to carry around bags of bits, or money as we call it here. This is your card girls, so I will be leaving it with Fae to take care of if you need anything. Ailene also has a digital copy so she can keep your supplies stocked and take care of you as well.”

“So, I don’t need to carry around a bag of bits to get things? I just need that card? That’s awesome,” agreed Sunset.

“Actually you just need the numbers on the card, and your signature, or the signature of whomever is caring for you. But, yes, it is much more convenient than carrying around bags of money. Even if you use paper money, it’s still easier to just use the card,” agreed Sister.

“Wait! Paper money? That’s a thing? How does that work?” asked Aiko. Sister tried to explain to them briefly as they traveled back to the Towers, but the girls were still left with more questions than answers. Laughing, Sister finally told them, “Don’t worry about it, it just works. And it keeps your bits safe, they never actually have to leave the bank.”

Exiting, they entered the lobby while the driver flagged down the valet. He returned with a cart which they loaded up with their purchases. The valet followed them up in the elevator while their driver wished them a good evening and drove off to his other responsibilities. When they reached the condominium, the valet placed their purchases on the table and left with the cart while Sister Mary helped them prepare their backpacks for school in the morning. Sunset ran to their room to get hers, and together they loaded up their backpacks with everything they would need for the day tomorrow then put the rest of the supplies away in a cupboard. While they were doing that, Ailene’s little robot collected all the foods they had purchased, gathering them into her little unit and placing them somewhere inside her storage once the unit rolled back into its cupboard.

Finished with their backpacks, Sister took the girls into their bedroom, where they found their uniforms waiting for them in their closet. Sister helped them change into them, showing them how they were to be worn. Once she was confident they fit well and were ready for tomorrow, she had the girls change back into their casual outfit while she put the uniforms back away.

While they were doing that, the valet arrived with the other supplies they had purchased, the delivery having been made rather quickly. Ailene’s robot once again put away foodstuffs, leaving six items on the table for Sister and the girls to deal with.

Heading over to the table, Sunset noticed the three larger boxes on the table. “What are those?” she asked, opening up one of them.

Sister smiled as Sunset puzzled over the box's contents. There was a gray metallic box inside, with a small book of instructions. She picked up the book and studied it.

“That’s a little something I think you girls could use. They’re called laptops. They are little computers, allowing you to do many things, and will be very useful for your schooling. The little boxes are what are called cell phones. They will allow us to speak with you when we need to, and will also help with your schooling. We bought one each for both of you and Fae. We don’t really have time to play with them now, but Fae can help you get them set up when you get back.”

“What do you mean when we get back? We have to leave now?” asked Sunset.

“Yes. It’s the end of the weekend, so we are holding an end of week worship service. We need to get back so we don’t miss it,” explained Sister.

Together they left the apartment, heading back down to the lobby. “I wonder where Fae is? I thought for sure we would see her,” asked Sunset.

“She had to run some errands herself,” explained Sister. Another driver was waiting for them, the door to his limo open and ready for them to enter. Thanking him, they entered the back of the limo. He closed the door and returned to the driver’s seat, pulling out into traffic and returning to the mission.

At the mission, Sister hurried them into the dining room, which they saw had been converted into a small worship place. There was a table along the back wall with candles and ornaments on it, and a fancy gold and white table cloth. The chairs had all been placed facing the table in rows with an aisle in the middle. Sister sat the girls down in the front row, where they were joined by a breathless Fae who entered the room behind them.

“Cutting it a bit close, aren’t you girls?” laughed Father John as he emerged from the kitchen, clothed in vestments of white and gold that reached all the way down to his ankles. The girls giggled a bit seeing him in what looked like a fancy oversized dress.

“Laugh it up girls, you know I make this look good,” he winked at them as he went over to talk to some of the regulars who were gathering, taking the remaining seats in the room. Once everyone was in place, he nodded to Sister, who took a seat at a small piano in the corner of hte room, playing a simple tune that everyone except the girls sang along with. Father walked up to the table while they sang, bowed, then kissed the table and led them in a benediction. Sister Mary and some of the regulars read from a book while everyone sat and listened, then Father got up and talked for a bit about what they had just heard.

Sunset and Aiko watched, enraptured as they had never seen anything like it. When Father had finished his talk, Sister returned to the piano and played more music while everyone sang, and some of the regulars brought gifts of food and juice up to the table. Father met them and took them from them, bowing in thanks as they bowed back. He placed the food on the table while everyone sat. He then said some very long prayers over everything, thanking the Maker and lifting up the food items with a little prayer for each. Sunset looked around and saw that many of the regulars were bowing their heads and striking their chests gently with their fists, so she and Aiko copied them, wondering what that was all about.

When Father was finished with the prayers, he went down and hugged Sister and the girls, then several of the others, wishing them “Peace”. The others turned to everyone around them offering the same greeting, some with hugs, some with handshakes, and some with just a smile and nodded head. Once everyone was done, Father returned to the table and started singing without the piano and everyone joined in. When he was done, he took a bowl of the food, some bread of some kind, and gave a piece to Sister Mary, who took it in her hands and ate it, then bowing, went over to the piano and started playing a song again while everyone joined in singing.

Sunset and Aiko were right behind Sister. She was ready to get her piece of bread, but Father just put his hand on her head and said a short prayer, bowing to her when he was done. She bowed back confused, then stepped aside while he did the same thing to Aiko. Together they returned to their seats and watched as the rest of the regulars came forward.

Sunset was relieved to see they were not the only ones that got the blessing instead of the bread. Many of the regulars also received the blessing, though many received the bread instead. When it was over, Father put the rest of the bread into a gold container, drank the rest of the juice, then cleaned everything up with a crystal flask of water, putting it all on the edge of the table as he sat with his head bowed quietly, everyone else copying him. After a few moments, he stood, everyone standing with him, and pronounced a final blessing over them. Sister Mary went to the piano again, and playing another song, everyone sang along as Father once again walked slowly down the aisle to the back of the room.

When they were done sinning, Father called out to everyone. “Okay everyone! Thank you all for coming to our worship. If you have the time, we would appreciate the help getting the dining room set back up, as dinner is only an hour or so away. Thank you everyone! May the Maker Bless and Keep you, and guard you in Her Ways!”

With a smile, hugs and handshakes, he worked his way back up to the table. Taking the gold bowl in hand, he smiled at the girls. “Be right back girls! We need to place these back in the chapel. If you can give a hand to everyone trying to set up that would be wonderful!” Sister Mary gathered the rest of the items from the table onto a small cart, following after Father John.

Sunset turned to Aiko. “I don’t think I have ever been to anything like that. What was that?” she asked.

Aiko shrugged. “It kind of reminded me of some of the temple services I went to when I was growing up. I don’t remember much of them, but I do remember standing in rows and singing and chanting facing a table like that while the monks did stuff.”

“Huh, interesting,” said Sunset. “I’ve never seen that before.”

As they were talking, one of the ladies asked them if they would be able to help move the chairs back to where they belonged. Looking up, Sunset could see people bringing out the missing tables from the kitchen, unfolding the legs and placing them back in the room in their usual spots. Aiko and Sunset grabbed chairs, dragging them over to the tables as needed while the others moved the rest of the tables in and set them up. When they were done, the dining room once again looked ready for diner. Sister returned, thanking everyone for their work, and taking Sunset and Aiko by the hand, led them into the kitchen where they finished up preparing the dinner together.

Father John returned, once again in his normal clothes and not wearing the fancy white and gold dress. He helped move the food out to the dinning room, then together after he led them in a prayer of thanksgiving to the Maker, they served their waiting flock, taking portions to eat themselves once everyone was served. Diner served and everyone feed, Sister and the girls put the food away and cleaned up while Father ministered to the flock and helped many of them get settled for the night.

“Okay girls,” he smiled when he joined them in the kitchen as they were finishing up. “Big day for you both tomorrow. First day at a new school. I’m sure you will both have a wonderful time, and we can’t wait to hear all about it tomorrow. But for tonight, I know two little girls that need to get some sleep. So off you go, and we will see you in the morning.”

Sister and he hugged them both, then walked them out to the front of the mission where a limo was once again waiting for them. Hugging them both once again, they waved good night to the girls as they drove off, the girls crying gently at having to leave. They arrived shortly at the Towers to find Fae smiling in the cutout, waiting for them.

“Hi Fae!” they greeted her happily, hugging her tightly while their driver smiled and made his farewell. Nodding with a smile to him, Fae acknowledged his comment, and he drove off. Taking the girls hands, she led them into the lobby and to the elevator. Still holding tightly to her, they exited, entering the condominium while Fae shut the door behind her.

“Okay girls, do you need a bath?” she asked.

“Yes please,” said Sunset. Aiko smiled and nodded. Taking them into the bath, she helped them undress, then running the water, filled the tub, scrubbing them up with the soap and shampoo Ailene provided. The girls invited her to join them, but she laughingly deferred, saying she didn't think the tub was big enough for the three of them. Sunset pouted, but recovered her cheerful demeanor when Fae agreed to stay with them while they played in the water for a while. When she could see they were getting tired, she drained the tub and dried the girls off, taking them wrapped in their towels back into the bedroom to get dressed for the night. Nightgowns on, they brushed their teeth then begged her to join them for the night. Relenting, she returned to her room, changing into her pajamas and joining the girls in the bed, both of them snuggling up to her in the middle of the bed as she hugged them to her. Ailene dimmed the lights and opened the curtains at Sunset’s request so they could look out at the lights as they sparkled in the night.

“I don’t think I will ever fall asleep tonight! I could watch this all night!” Sunset yawned, Aiko nodding in agreement sleepily.

Three minutes later, all three girls were sound asleep, the view before them forgotten in favor of dreams of the day ahead.

Author's Note:

And the girls adventure continues.

This is now officially book two of Tales of an Equestrian Battle Mage. This will detail Sunset and Aiko's lives together as they grow up in human Canterlot, and lead up to the events covered in Six Friends One Heart. :pinkiehappy:

Yes, as several readers have pointed out, I am running the sequel alongside the first book. As nuts as that may seem, they do fit together nicely, and the cutoff was know way in advance, as I stated in starting Tales of an Equestrian Battle Mage that Sunset would still end up rebelling against her mentor Princess Celestia and running away through Starswirl's Portal. So, here she is, with her bestest battle sister at her side.

I do hope you all enjoy their continuing adventures. :twilightsmile: