• Published 26th Sep 2012
  • 852 Views, 9 Comments

A Weekend In Canterlot - sjosten



Rarity and Rainbow Dash decide to hang out in Canterlot for a weekend.

  • ...
 9
 852

Canterlot Bound

“Come now Rainbow Dash, it worked for myself and Applejack, as well you and Pinkie Pie.” Rarity had a point, but was spending the weekend in Canterlot together really a good idea? Then again, they were both going anyway. The Wonderbolts would be performing and Rarity had a spa day planned for her and Fleur de Lis. Rarity had already cleared her schedule and it wasn’t like the Wonderbolts would just say ‘Oh, you don’t want to feel awkward sharing a suite at the castle with your friend? We’ll just perform a different day then.’ Rainbow hated it, but she had to agree. After all, it’s only a weekend, what’s the worst that could happen?

Rarity still couldn’t believe that her plan was working without a hitch. She knew if she simply spent some time with Rainbow Dash, they would warm up to each other, but she didn’t expect Rainbow to be this easy to convince. Dash was usually the most stubborn of the six, which was impressive when both Rarity and Applejack were included in that group, but she had gone along with Rarity’s idea so far. They were already saying goodbye to their friends at the train station. Unfortunately, due to both ponies leaving, the six friends were split in half. Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy were seeing Rarity off, and Applejack and Pinkie Pie were giving Rainbow Dash a few last shots of cider before she left. Though she would never admit it, Rarity already had an entire suitcase full of the stuff. After all, no pony would feel the need to check a suitcase that was being carried by one of the elements of harmony.

Train rides are extremely boring for pegasi. They’re used to flying high at several hundred miles per hour, and a train just can’t give you that. At least Rarity thought ahead and brought stuff to do in her carry on. All Dash brought were clothes, cash, and her tickets to the Wonderbolts. In hindsight, it was incredible luck that Rarity had asked to come with. Rainbow knew she couldn’t choose between Pinkie and Scoots when it came to a partner at the Wonderbolts. Now she had a good excuse for not picking them. On top of that, Rarity said she would have them upgraded to skybox seats. That was the thing about Rarity, she always knew how to exploit being an element. Even if that wouldn’t get her something directly, she would just make the right connection, usually using the element to get her there, and boom, she had whatever she wanted. Dash didn’t really think about it like that. It’s a job to her. You don’t get skybox tickets just by doing your job. Dash still thought Rarity’s special talent was more making friends than it was finding shiny rocks.

It was around the third game of Monopoly that Rarity decided it was time to stop. As much as she enjoyed being able to finish a game of monopoly against somepony besides Twilight, doing the same thing over and over was starting to get on her nerves. As such, Rarity excused herself and went to the dining car. She knew Dash would be hungry by then too, so she simply ordered two meals. Hopefully, Rainbow Dash would like manicotti. If not, more for Rarity. When Rarity got back to their private car with a cart loaded with pasta and salad, Rainbow was certainly surprised. Fortunately, Rarity had guessed correctly about the manicotti. In fact, Rainbow ended up scarfing down her salad just so she could have more room on her plate for seconds. After dinner, it was Rarity’s turn to be surprised by food, as Rainbow brought in two plates filled with a tower of every kind of cookie, cake, ice cream, and any other dessert it took to make the most regal unicorn on the train drool in anticipation. It was right then and there that Rarity decided to thank Pinkie Pie personally for teaching Rainbow Dash the finer points of desserts.

It was horrible. No, it was worse than horrible, it was evil. Rainbow was actually banging her head against a pole just thinking about what she would have to do. If only they had seen it before. If only they had realized the train would show up in Canterlot late on Friday night. Then they wouldn’t have told Celestia they’d be staying for Saturday and Sunday. Then they wouldn’t have to call Vinyl. Now, Rainbow Dash and Vinyl Scratch were good friends, and having to stay at Vinyl’s house shouldn’t have been a problem. Except that, being good friends, this meant that Rainbow would owe Vinyl. Next time Vinyl called asking if there were any gigs in Ponyville, Rainbow would have to tell her the truth. That there’s always a party in Ponyville. She would have to put Pinkie Pie and Vinyl Scratch in a room together, and she’d have to go. On top of that, she was pretty sure her new roommate had heard her cursing about it.

Vinyl Scratch. That name certainly brought back memories. The failed fashion show, Hoity Toity, the wedding, all of them had one thing in common. Now, Rarity was standing in front of that thing’s house waiting for her to answer Rainbow’s knocking. Fortunately, Vinyl Scratch was out, and her housemate answered the door. Ms. Octavia seemed rather surprised that Rainbow Dash and Rarity were at her door. Thought Rarity couldn’t hear her exactly, she was only barely awake, she muttered something about Vinyl Scratch turning their house into a freeloader paradise. Fortunately, she let them in and pointed us towards a guest room. While she prepared a cup of coffee so as to find out who her new guests were, Rainbow started getting the bed set. Much to Rarity’s shock, Dash was putting everything away very neatly, and had made the bed. When Rarity asked about this, her only answer was, “I need something to do while Octy’s getting ready.” Rarity decided to get to work on her own luggage before Rainbow Dash could.

When Octy was finally done with her coffee, she and Rarity started chatting in the kitchen. Rainbow was hungry again, so she started sifting through Vinyl’s pantry. She decided to have the Luna Charms because that was the only thing she knew for certain wasn’t Octy’s. As such, she didn’t catch the first few minutes of her friends’ conversation. By the time Rainbow sat down, Rarity had already promised Octy a gig at one of the town meetings to make up for them barging in. She had also explained what was going on and why Dash had already moved all of her dresses into the closet. Octy seemed oddly okay with all of it. Then Vinyl walked in. At first she did the same thing Rainbow did. Said hi to Octy, grabbed a bowl of cereal, and sat down. It took her a minute or two to fully realize who was sitting next to her. The look on her face was somewhere between evil and hilarious. As such, the table had a fairly mixed reaction to it. Both Rarity and Octy started giggling, but Rainbow just sat there. She knew what that face meant, and it wasn’t good. Granted, Rainbow loved it when she made that face at Octy or Derpy, but this was different. This time, it was Rainbow who would end up paying for having to get help from the only mare in Canterlot that could be compared to Pinkie Pie.

As far as Rarity could tell, what could have been a disaster had been averted. Octavia and Vinyl Scratch were kind enough to agree to the two unfortunate ponies sleeping the night. Granted, Rainbow was convinced that Vinyl Scratch would make her pay dearly, but sacrifices must be made sometimes. In addition, Rarity had found a new friend in Octavia. Rarity would have to make sure to contact Octavia again the next time she was in Canterlot. The actual sleeping however, proved to be difficult. Rainbow Dash couldn’t sleep and decided that this was a misfortune that needed to be shared. Even worse, she was too lazy to go talk to Vinyl Scratch, who was still in the kitchen tuning a guitar. When Vinyl was finished though, it only took a few minutes for Rainbow to fall asleep. The DJ was playing such beautiful music that Rarity actually made an effort to keep herself awake so as not to miss any. When Vinyl Scratch finally went to sleep, Rarity did as well.

By 2:00, Rainbow knew Rarity and Octy were asleep. She got up and went into the kitchen. Waiting for her was Vinyl Scratch.

“Hey Dash, what do you need?”

“Just someone to talk to, Scratch.”

“I’m your mare. Rarity seems nice.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“You guess? Rainbow, she and Tavi are practically the same pony.”

“Yeah, but she’s so stuck up all the time, and she always needs to be all fancy about stuff.”

“Okay. Why’re you two together?”

“It’s a long story.”

“Rainbow, we’re talking at two in the morning. There are very few constraints here.”

“Fine. Rarity and I don’t get along very well. I usually like to hang out with Applejack or Pinkie. But, we’re sorta supposed to be best friends. Kinda. Y’know, cause we’re both elements of harmony. So, she and Applejack used to be the same way. Then the two of them hung out a little, and they’re much better friends. Rarity thinks the same thing’s gonna work for the two of us.”

“But…?”

“Scratch, you’ve met her. More importantly, you’ve met me. I mean, how long did it take for you and Octy to get to be friends like you are now?”

“Wow, a couple months I guess. But, I don’t think Rarity wants to move in with you after the weekend is over. She just wants to get along with you.”

“Alright, but I still don’t know if it’ll work. And Scratch, thanks for the music.”