• Published 1st Apr 2023
  • 501 Views, 6 Comments

I Was Counting On Forever - Drunk Luna



In the wake of unspeakable tragedy, Cadance and Luna must raise baby Flurry Heart, though Cadance hates Luna.

  • ...
4
 6
 501

Chapter Two

After only half an hour of sleep, Cadance was awakened by Flurry’s cries. Sighing, she rolled out of bed and trudged into the nursery for yet another feeding. After Flurry Heart had eaten, Cadance left the filly with Raven and returned to her bedchamber to prepare for the day ahead. She freshened up with a glamour spell that left her mane and makeup looking immaculate, then changed into her simple black Chanel coat dress with a matching hat that was embellished with a black silk bow. A diamond and pearl brooch resembling Shining Armor’s cutie mark was pinned on the lapel of Cadance’s dress.

Luna, who was visibly exhausted from the previous night, stood at the bottom of the spiral staircase in a simple black wrap dress with an equally elegant matching hat. She wore a simple string of pearls around her neck. Cadance partially dreaded knowing the answer to the question that bounced around her mind like a rubber ball, but she knew that she had to know.

“Aunt Luna,” she murmured. The blue alicorn’s delicate ears flickered in the direction of Cadance’s voice. A heavy sigh deflated her body as she turned to acknowledge her niece.

“I know you grant ponies’ final wishes before you take them to the afterlife,” Cadance said hesitantly. “What… what did Shiny wish for?” She took a deep breath, preparing for the inevitable pain of Luna’s reply.

“Your husband wanted you and Flurry to be happy and safe,” Luna said with a sigh. “He made sure that you two would be well cared for. He also asked to be a guardian angel for you and your daughter. Shining Armor wanted you to know that he will always watch over you, and that he will love you forever.” Tears stung her eyes and spilled down her face as she spoke. Cadance sobbed, nodding.

“You need to rest,” Luna said firmly. “Please, Cadance, let me watch Flurry Heart so that you can get some sleep. I am perfectly capable of looking after a foal, my dear niece.”

“Raven has her,” the light pink mare replied. “We have a long day ahead. What time do we need to be at the base?”

“The royal flight is due to arrive at ten,” Luna sighed. “I have begun making funeral arrangements. Celestia and Twilight will each receive a state funeral, while Shining Armor will get a ceremonial funeral. I know that this is extremely overwhelming, Cadance, but we must discuss these matters now.”

“Their bodies haven’t even touched Equestrian soil yet,” Cadance hissed. “I would prefer to absorb the fact that nearly every member of my family is returning home in a casket before I think about anything else.” She gritted her teeth, ignoring Luna’s wounded expression as the new ruler of Equestria slipped into the backseat of her chauffeured black Bentley. With a toss of her head, Cadance snorted and trotted outside to her Rolls Royce. The two cars set off toward the nearby Air Force base, where rows upon rows of soldiers stood on the tarmac, the right sleeve of each one’s scarlet dress uniform donning a black mourning band. Cadance’s stomach twisted when she saw nine guards in formation in the center of the tarmac. A military band stood behind them, their brass instruments glinting in the sun. Six black hearses waited side by side.

As the royal flight landed, Cadance took a labored breath and stared ahead as the soldiers presented their arms in a royal salute. Celestia’s coffin, draped in her royal standard, was slowly carried off the plane. Luna’s face was soaked with tears as she fought to keep her composure.

Twilight’s coffin was the next to leave the aircraft. Cadance began to sob, dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief. When the coffin carrying Shining Armor’s body appeared at the top of the steps leading off the plane, Cadance released a loud, anguished cry. Her body trembled as she broke royal protocol and dashed over to her husband’s coffin, leaning on it and sobbing. Luna wept openly as she surveyed the six shiny black vehicles, which were given a royal salute as they set off on their solemn journey to the funeral home. The two-month period of royal mourning had officially begun.