• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 764 Views, 8 Comments

A Day in Canterlot - TheNorthernT



Rarity travel to Canterlot after receiving an invitation from Fancy pants.

  • ...
1
 8
 764

Train ride

Dear Miss Rarity,

It has been far too long, and the magnificent city of Canterlot has started to become dull after your last visit. Not counting the Changeling Invasion of course, and that reminds me that you have to remind me to thank you in person for playing a part in ending it.

But I digress. The reason I am writing to you is that I am arranging a social gathering for some of the ponies of higher classes, much like the Canterlot Garden Party you and your charming friends attended some time ago, and it would be a terrible shame if you missed it. So allow me to formally invite you as a guest of honor. The invitation, including a train ticket, will be included in the envelope. I would have arranged lodging for you, but I know you will most likely prefer to stay at the castle.

Yours Truly,
Fancy Pants
PS: There may be someone attending that will be interested in meeting you. I don’t want to make false promises, but it might mean good things for your Carousel Boutique.

The white pony looked out of the windows at the train carriage and in the distance she could see the many spires of the shining city of Canterlot. It looked truly magnificent as the sun rose behind it and she could feel a smile spread across her face. Waking up to take the train before sunrise was a small price to pay to see such beauty.

In the faint reflection of the window Rarity could see that there were some irregularities in her usually perfect mane. With a sigh she used her magic to fix it, before she threw a quick glance towards her tail as well. There was no reason for her not to look good when she arrived in the city, even if she had woken up early.

Her eyes fell on her flank for a moment. More precisely, they fell on the three light blue diamonds on it, and she gave herself a little smile. If Fancy Pants was right in his implications, she would probably have to use her talent quite a bit in the future, and what would be better than having a talent for making the most unique and fashionable clothes in Equestria?

“Well, Twilight’s magical abilities would be a welcome addition to her own,” she thought to herself. “There is more than one spell I have seen her perform that could be most useful at times.”

She stopped herself for a second, before she gave herself a short laughter. “Now Rarity,” she said while smiling. “There is no need to compare your magic to Twilight’s, your talent is related to fashion and you are not going to let it get to you that she can cast a few more spells than you, now are you?”

The mare returned her attention to her tail; if there had been any irregularities she must have fixed it subconsciously while her mind went off on its own because it was just as perfect as she always made sure it was before she went out.

She went over the letter from Fancy Pants again in her thoughts. He was right; she did indeed prefer to stay at the castle. It made an impression on most all of the ponies attending such gatherings, and if she had a chance of getting business for the Boutique she had no intention of not taking advantage of the status a suite at the castle would give.

She had already arranged the suite, thanks to Twilight who had asked Spike to send a message to the Princess herself asking her to prepare a room at the castle for her. Laughing a little again, Rarity thought back to the first time she had stayed there and how she had ended up kissing the Princess’s hooves. It had been a most awkward moment, now that she was looking back at it.

“Oh well,” she said to herself and walked away from the window and over to the small pile of bags she had brought onboard the carriage, starting to look through them one by one.

Her head and eyes moved faster and faster back and forth as the pile of unopened luggage shrunk, and she could feel her heart start to beat faster as well.

“Oh no! How could I allow this to happen? This is the! Worst! Possible! Thing!” the unicorn started to look through her bags once again, letting most of the contents fall out. “I haven’t brought anything that is even remotely fashionable enough for a party held by Fancy Pants!”

When she concluded that there was nothing to find in the bags and began to pack things back again. “Calm down Rarity, this isn’t the end of the world. After all, you have the entire day to make something that will surely impress him and this mysterious pony he wants you to meet.”

With another sigh to herself she went back over to the window and continued to look at the magnificent city that slowly came closer as the sun rose and once again she couldn’t help but smile. It was a truly beautiful sight.

**

The train rolled into the station and as the doors to the carriage she had been in by herself opened a couple of stallions wearing the servants uniform greeted her.

“Hello, Miss Rarity. The Princess told us you would be staying here and that you might appreciate some help with your luggage,” the pony who spoke swallowed involuntarily when he saw the pile of bags.

“Perfect, I am glad you are here,” the mare smiled back at them and battered her eyes slightly. “I have some small things I have to take care of before I go to the castle, so could you two be so dear as to take it to my suite in the meantime? I don’t believe you would be at all interested in carrying them around the city while I look for the fabrics I need.”

“As you wish, Miss,” the ponies walked by her and into the carriage, shortly after coming out with the pile of bags. “We’ll make sure it gets to your suite as soon as possible.”

As the two ponies vanished into the distance, Rarity looked around. It was merely an hour since the sun had risen, but the station was already crowded, both of ponies that looked like they were just on their way to their workplace, and some mares and stallions she could have sworn she had seen at the Canterlot Garden Party.

Before she could make up her mind whether or not they were the ones she thought they were the white mare was suddenly cast to the ground as something fell upon her, and let out a surprised scream.

“Oh, sorry ‘bout that,” someone said as she felt whatever it had fallen upon her starting to move. After a few seconds of trying to get up the pony that was lying on top of her finally got off and allowed her to move. “Here, let me help you up.”
She saw a beige colored hoof reach out in front of her, with what looked like a rough, not to mention dirty, sweater of some kind. Shying away from the hoof, she got to her hooves herself and turned to whomever it had been that had thrown her to the ground.

In front of her stood a stallion in a truly uncouth dark blue full body suit. He wore a hood so she couldn't see his eyes, but his horn stuck out along with a long lock of blue-black mane. His tail was long and styled into spikes. A small group of fillies stared out from behind him.

He smiled at her. “Sorry ‘bout that, I was just trying to catch the ball and I guess I got blindsided.” He spoke with a careless tone, and leaned his head slightly to his left. “Are you okay?”

As Rarity told him that she was fine she could see the ponies she had been looking at just a short moment in the corner of her eye pass by them, hearing them whisper as they went by.

“I told you she was not what she appeared to be, just like at the Canterlot Garden. If she had been a true upper class pony she wouldn’t have associated with the likes of him.”

Helplessly she saw them walk off in the distance while the stallion in front of her looked after them.

“Quite rude, aren’t they?”