• Published 26th Mar 2023
  • 516 Views, 19 Comments

The Foal Six - blayzekohime



Yet another Twilight spell mishap causes the mane 6 to each spend a day in the past as their old foal selves. Various shenanigans ensue.

  • ...
2
 19
 516

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow, similar to others, suddenly found herself in a crib in her foalhood bedroom, and it took her a moment to figure out exactly what had happened. Even at this age, her room appeared to be full of trophies, though at this point they were all awards that her parents had made up instead of actual achievements. The entire room was also decked out in Wonderbolts memorabilia, which couldn’t possibly be from Rainbow at this tender age, so her parents must have successfully conspired to get her interested in them.

Slowly her tinyfied mind ticked away at her situation. She looked at the crib around her, that looked far bigger from her perspective than it should be, the crib mobile above her with tiny Wonderbolts as decorations, so far up that she couldn’t quite tell which Wonderbolts they were. She felt the crinkle of the heavy but plush diaper against the equally plush mattress in her crib.

Then Rainbow gasped in realization. Unlike with others, there was no consideration about whether or not this would be resolved. In fact… she hoped it wasn’t! This was a grand opportunity to first take a nice long break from being an adult with responsibilities, and second to start training earlier in life, not to mention avoid a ton of mistakes and/or disasters that she caused. If she hadn’t caused quite so many, she might have been accepted into the Wonderbolts Academy sooner, and the more of a headstart she got the better. This was perfect!

Her wings fluttered with excitement, though the lift wasn’t even enough to raise her off the bed. This was a little frustrating, she had to admit, since she was accustomed to being able to go into frantic flying mode when especially excited. Instead the loop she instinctively attempted was just her flapping frantically and then falling forward onto her face.

Weren’t pegasus foals supposed to have weird surges of air magic where they could fly around? Rainbow was certain they did, but she sure didn’t know how to activate the strange power that annoyed pony parents everywhere. She wasn’t good at figuring these things out, and realized that she was no more likely to do so than to discover the secrets of Celestia’s eldritch mane, so quickly gave up on the idea. She’d just have to wait and hope for it to activate at random like such things usually did.

“Do I hear a wing flutter?!” an extremely excited voice called out, shortly before a younger version of her dad zipped into the room. Before she could react properly, he had lifted her out of the crib with both front hooves, holding her as high up as he could.

“That’s our talented little filly!’ Mommy was next to Daddy so swiftly that Rainbow could have sworn she just appeared there. She had some soap suds on her hooves, so maybe she had been washing the dishes and abandoned the task over the chance to cheer for her daughter.

A foal flapping their wings frantically was among the least amazing things a pegasus her age could do, but it didn’t surprise Rainbow that it set off her parents’ Rainbow-is-amazing sense, and they just had to rush in and encourage her. On top of that, it didn’t feel very embarrassing as it normally would have as an adult. It wasn’t nearly as bad when put into the context of her being a foal, not to mention there being no one else around to be embarrassed in front of. That was another great advantage of this; Rainbow could surely use a break from caring about things.

“Here we go!” Daddy suddenly exclaimed, balancing Rainbow precariously on one hoof and suddenly taking flight towards the room door. She came within an inch of getting smacked against the wall as they exited, but that didn’t stop her from writhing about happily and giggling for her Daddy.

As he zipped into the living room area and started flying circles around it, Rainbow was precariously balanced on the one hoof, rocking about and looking like she might fall off at any second. Though ponies did have a localized telekinetic field around their hooves so they could grasp things or manipulate small objects, it wasn’t exactly safe.

But did Rainbow care? Why would she? He probably did this constantly and she was fairly sure she hit her head minimal times during her foalhood, at least that she remembered. And she wouldn’t want to change time too much by not having a potentially dangerous foalhood via her well-meaning parents.

Mommy zipped into the living room as well, again so fast that she may as well have appeared out of nowhere, or maybe Rainbow’s young brain could only perceive so much movement. Either way, she had also managed to obtain pompoms and was now cheering for Rainbow as she shook them about.

Rainbow had forgotten how awesome it felt to be lavished with undeserved praise as a foal! She felt a little worse about resenting it later on, but if Twilight wasn’t able to fix this, she could always just make a different later-on where she didn’t do that! Or maybe she would remember as soon as they started acting like this in public places in front of other ponies, but right now it didn’t matter much. Rainbow was always a live-for-the-moment kind of filly.

Though Rainbow wasn’t the only one not currently thinking through the consequences of their actions. In his excitement to give his daughter the best zoomies ever, Dad clipped his wing on a lamp and tumbled head over hoof several times. Rainbow didn’t see where he landed or if he was okay, because she was too busy watching the nearby window get closer to her at an alarming speed.

It was a good thing that she was Rainbow Dash and not some normal pony, because any of her friends might have sustained some serious injury when going head first through a window. Then again, head injuries might explain some things about her future self. Either way, it sure didn’t feel good to shatter a window with her head, and it somehow felt worse to remember that her parents lived on the third floor of a building and that she wasn’t able to fly at the moment.

Rainbow shrieked as she looked at the ground, though it was more of an adorable squeak that she would by no means admit to later. Fortunately, the path to the cement sidewalk wasn’t without any softer obstacles, and she realized that there was a cloth awning covering the first floor windows and doorway.

Though even without that, she probably would have still started giggling the moment she found herself in freefall, her wings flapping about instinctively but pointlessly as she fell. As her parents panicked shouts grew quieter above her, she managed to keep herself above the cloth canopy and bounced on the top without further harm aside from the existing potential head trauma.

But at this point, she was excited and in acrobatic mode, with or without the ability to put much purpose into it. Rainbow gave her wings another few frantic flaps, giving herself just enough lift to bounce off the awning instead of settling atop it. She collided with a pegasus in mid-flight, getting batted up into the air with their wing as they spiraled to the ground with an unappreciative mmph.

The filly went spinning up and over the busy street, a chorus of screams and squeaks raining out as ponies tried to dodge her, many of whom were crashing into one another in the process. Any of her friends might have been worried at this point that she might be doing things that would actually affect the timeline, but Rainbow couldn’t care less. She was still working on the assumption that this new timeline was her permanent home and that the other one would probably be mostly okay maybe.

Luckily for Rainbow, her parents weren’t slowpokes by any means, and by the time she got to the sidewalk on the other side, she felt both Mommy and Daddy grab her from opposite sides… before colliding in the middle. Rainbow didn’t get much more than a rough cuddle in the impact, and the trio settled down onto the pavement with a dull thump, Rainbow atop her parents.

“A-amazing…” Mommy said, sounding dizzy but not seriously injured.

“Y-yeah, way to go…” Daddy added. “But dang, we had just fixed that window…”

“We really need to get some covers or something to protect them,” Mommy said, checking Rainbow to verify that she was no more injured than usual. “The insurance companies will really start asking questions if this keeps happening.”

“Yeah, sorry.” Daddy chuckled awkwardly.

“Uh… are you okay?” an unfamiliar voice asked, and Rainbow looked up to see a yellow pegasus mare that had stopped to check on them. Behind her, it looked like her cart was on its side on the ground with one wheel missing, though who even knew why flying pegasus carts had wheels anyway.

“Okay we’re great!” Daddy claimed.

“Yeah this isn’t even half as bad as last time,” Mommy nodded. “I don’t think anyone is going to need an ambulance or anything!”

“L-last time?” the mare asked unsurely, but then decided not to wait on an answer and moved back over towards her cart.

It looked like she was the only one that had been damaged enough to stop.

“Uh-oh!” Daddy chuckled suddenly, sniffing about Rainbow. “I think someone got a bit TOO excited. Why don’t I take care of this while you take the easier job of setting that poor mare’s cart upright?”

Daddy carried Rainbow, flying her back in through the now very open third-floor window, then pulling down the blinds upon entering as if that helped.

“Maybe we should see about getting a lower floor apartment,” Daddy mumbled to himself as he took her back towards her bedroom again.

He moved to lower one side of Rainbow’s crib to lay her down on the blanket, then lowered the crib’s mobile so she would have something to distract her during his grueling task. She got a better look at it this time, and could of course name all the Wonderbolts that appeared on it… including the one she no longer liked, Wind Rider.

It was an unfortunate addition to her toy, but she supposed it wasn’t unfortunate yet, so it’d have to do. Still, she tried to reach up to get a few good hoof punches onto that one, and Daddy chuckled.

“He’s your favorite, is he?” Daddy said, completely misunderstanding her actions as parents often did. He tossed her old diaper in the trash with one wing, fortunately having that alternative to using his mouth like poor earth ponies.

Rainbow didn’t mind being changed, because why would she mind someone else doing something for her? Maybe others might be self-conscious, but she understood that as a baby, she could basically do anything and the worst repercussions she’d get would be getting called cute or something. It was time to enjoy her new young life with no worries, especially now that she knew what was in store for her with not-young life.

Either way, Rainbow was exhausted after her time playing outside. She figured she just needed a nap to feel better though, rather than a hospital visit after going out a window. From what they said, it wasn’t the first time it happened and definitely wouldn’t be the last time she crashed into something.

Seeing she was too sleepy for any more play, Daddy finished putting on her fresh diaper and tucked her in beneath a soft blanket to let her doze off. He then put the side of her crib back up and continued out of her room to either do whatever he was doing before, or to go visit the insurance company about their broken window.

Rainbow yawned, happy with her new life. She slowly settled in and dozed off, but probably wasn’t prepared for the disappointment of it not being permanent.