• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 619 Views, 3 Comments

War Divides Us - huffman8



Long ago, the three tribes were separated by a hatred of one another. And that hatred will bring war

  • ...
 3
 619

Invasion

War Divides Us
By huffman8
Invasion

Ironhooves watched from the hillside as the city of New Whinny burned below him. His mind struggling to comprehend what had just happened. Not an hour ago, everything was normal. Earth Ponies mingled through the streets, buying and selling their wears, trying to earn enough survive.

Now, it was all gone, burning away in the inferno that had engulfed the city.

“How could this have happened?” asked the stunned guardspony next to him.

Ironhooves didn’t answer. He only stood there as the events of the last 3 hours replayed in his mind.

============+============

3 hours ago

“Ironhooves, WAKE UP!” yelled a voice, jarring the brown stallion out of his sleep.

“Wha…?” questioned the still groggy Ironhooves, confused as to why his sleep had been interrupted.

“Ya need ta get up. The Sargent says that we got guard duty today, so get that flank of yers' out of bed and get armored up.”

Groaning, Ironhooves pulled himself out of bed and angrily looked at the pony that had pulled him out of his much wanted rest. He was an orange earth pony stallion with a horse shoe cutie mark. He was wearing the standard Iron armor of the Republican Guard. On his feet were standard issue combat tramplers. Strapped to his side was a short sword. His helmet was no ware in sight, revealing the pony’s short blond mane.

Seeing the Ironhooves look of pure hate, the stallion took a step back. “Hay, it's already 9:00 and if we aren’t there soon, Sargent Leatherneck is gonna to have both our flanks.”

“Sigh, I know Swifthoof,” Ironhooves said tiredly. “Just give me a minute.”

“Alright, I’ll meet ya at the market gates,” said Swifthoof as he turned to leave. “Just hurry it up already, and by Foust don’t go back to sleep!”

Ironhooves watched his bunkmate leave the room and then proceeded to the large chest at the foot of his bed. He opened it, revealing his own issue of armor. “Another day in the glorious life of a member of the Republican Guard,” he drearily stated. Resisting the urge to go back to bed, he proceeded to put on the heavy armor.

After he had managed to get dressed, he stopped in front of the small mirror on the dresser and took account of himself. Like Swifthoof he was wearing standard issue Republican Guard armor. The thick iron plating covered most of his back, just covering up the shield shaped mark on his flank. On his head was an Iron helm. On his hooves were heavy metal boots and a sword was strapped to his side. Satisfied with his appearance, Ironhooves left the barracks and headed to his post at the Market gates.

“Huh, it looks like it might actually cloudy today,” observed Ironhooves as he glanced into the gray sky. “It’s nice to know that those good-for-nothing pegasi are actually going to uphold their part of the treaty for once.” Turning his attention away from the clouds, Ironhooves took in the city around him. New Whinny was a rapidly growing trade city. Six major roads ran through the city. Because of that, New Whinny had become a major center of commerce almost overnight. Realizing the strategic purpose of the city the Federal Republic of Earth, the earth pony government, had stationed a garrison of its Republican Guard here. Despite the not so subtle racism, these roads also brought the many other races into the City. Just by glancing around Ironhooves could see Griffins, Zebras, and Diamond dogs walking through the crowds of earth ponies that filled the streets.

“Hay, Iron! Glad ya could finally make it!” The voice snapped Ironhooves out of his thoughts. Realizing that he had arrived at his destination, he took his place next to Swifthoof by the market’s west gate.

“Oh, shut up. I wasn’t that late.”

“Ya, Ya,” said Swifthoof with a role of his eye. “Anyway, did ya see the clouds yet? I think that those Foust dammed pegasi are actually going to give us a good shower today.”

“They better,” growled Ironhooves, “With all of the food they make us give them we better be getting rain from those winged freaks of nature.” They stood there in silence for about a minute before Swifthoof tried to start a conversation.

“Say, did I tell ya that I got a letter from mah sister in Domarecus last night? Well ya see she…..”

Ironhooves groaned as his friend rambled on about how his unbelievably large family was doing. “This is going to be a long 6 hours.”

============+============

Two hours later a fight broke out just inside the gate, ending Swifthoof’s rambling. They held the angry customer and shopkeeper apart as three more guards headed over to assist.

“This stallion cheated me out of my bits!” screamed the enraged customer.

“I did not do anything of the sort!” replied the merchant. “This mare just started yelling like a mad mare and then attacked me!”

By then the other guards had arrived. They pulled the screaming mare away from the scene. Satisfied that the incident was over Ironhooves and Swifthoof turned around and headed back to their posts. “What was that about?” asked Swifthoof.

“I don’t have the slightest idea. But since nopony got hurt I wouldn't worr…” Before Ironhooves could finish speaking a large bolder crashed into a nearby building, sending dust and debris flying into the air. The two ponies stared into the thick smoke in shock.

Another bolder slammed into a nearby building, shaking the two guards back into reality. Swifthoof looked up and froze once again, his mouth hanging open in shock. Ironhooves followed his gaze and saw something that made his blood run cold. Descending from the clouds overhead was a legion of Pegasi soldiers.

============+=============


Hundreds of thoughts ran through Ironhooves' mind as he ran. Picking one of them he yelled “Where are we going!”

“We need to find the rest of the guard!” yelled Swifthoof. His face showed signs of panic despite his best efforts to appear calm. The two ponies ran through the streets amidst the terrified civilians. They came to an abrupt halt when they saw two pegasi legionaires land a block in front of them.

As the pegasi unshieved their swords, one of them pointed at the two guardponies and yelled “Hostis barbari! Impetūs!” With that the two pegasi charged them. The first pegasus rushed Swifthoof, trying to impale him, but he ducked and the pegasus flew over him. Before he could recover Swifthoof spun around and bucked the legionnaire in the side. The tramplers he wore did their job, deeply denting the metal armor inwards, and sending the pegasus flying into the nearby wall with a thunderous “CRACK!”

The second pegasus hesitated at the sight of his fallen comrade, but he then let out a yell and continued his assault. Ironhooves barely brought up his sword in time to deflect the incoming blade. The deflected blade glanced off his shoulder guards with a loud “Clang!” the vibrations stunning the attacking pegasus. It allowed Swifthoof to come behind him and run the attacker through. As the pegasus slumped to the ground dead Ironhooves raised himself unsteadily to his feet.

“Are you ok?” asked Swifthoof.

“Y-Yes.” Ironhooves replied unsteadily. “Come on, we need to get out of here before more of them show up.” Swifthoof grimly nodded and they continued to gallop down the street as the city dissolved into chaos around them.