• Published 4th Feb 2023
  • 555 Views, 47 Comments

Shifted Crusaders - Poisonberry



Everycreature forgot about Nightmare, and she's now disconnected from a host and growing in power. The best way to show all of them she is now the most powerful ruler in Equestria, is obviously by casting a near irreversable spell.

  • ...
0
 47
 555

Chapter Three

Rumble tapped the flower with his hoof, and a dark red glow suddenly enveloped him before shining a much lighter red. “That’s the color it shows when you aren’t undead,” Cheerilee confirmed. Rumble took his hoof away, and within seconds the glow faded away. “Who wants to go next?” Nopony raised their hoof, “Okay, how about, Sil-”

“I’ll go Ms. Cheerilee,” Diamond Tiara quickly interrupted her. She strutted up to the flower, and Apple Bloom heard somepony sigh in relief, but she couldn’t identify who. Diamond touched the petal and she was outlined in dark red before it shifted into a lighter shade.

“Anypony else want to try? Button Mash? Ruby Pinch? Sweetie Belle?”

“Sure,” Ruby said, Button followed her with a groan, and Sweetie quickly followed him. They all touched the flower.

“That’s- that’s strange, Sweetie are you even touching the flower?” Sweetie nodded. “I’ll have to ask Starlight why it didn’t even glow at all around you. I mean, you aren’t undead because if you were a black glow would’ve appeared.” It was quite clear that Cheerilee was very confused. The entire class was confused, but all of that added together couldn’t top Cheerilee’s confusion. Sweetie herself wasn’t confused, at least, not about that.

They all returned to their seats, and Cheerilee continued to talk about zomponies. By the time the bell for recess had rung, she had gone through basically every known and proven fact. Zomponies, when not disguised, could usually survive most situations, and could only be killed by fire, magic, or their own dark magic failing, most likely due to strain or dispelling. Changelings and zomponies were completely different. Most zomponies, like most other forms of undead, attack every living thing and are driven primarily by instinct. However, in special circumstances, zomponies were in control of themselves until they were starved, which caused them to go animalistic. Zomponies could survive on pony food, but only for so long.

Apple Bloom decided this wouldn’t be a problem if she was able to eat an egg or two from her family’s chickens occasionally. If it was necessary they could get some other creature’s food for her new diet. That wouldn’t be too hard now with how many different creatures were in Ponyville on a daily basis.

Sweetie Belle continued to read whilst Scootaloo did tricks on her scooter, attracting a small crowd. Meanwhile, Apple Bloom and Pipsqueak were eagerly pacing around, waiting for Twilight right outside the Everfree Forest. Dinky ran up to meet them, “Do you guys think I could join you? I’m not really doing anything until nightfall, and I’m kinda bored.”

“Ah don’t see why not,” Apple Bloom replied.

“We can convince Twilight to get to Zecora’s even faster with three ponies instead of two!” Pipsqueak added.

~~~

Twilight finally arrived at the edge of the Everfree Forest, but she hesitated. She was about to lead three young ponies into the Everfree. Two of them might make this trip often, but that didn’t help calm Twilight’s nerves. She had been on edge ever since traces of dark magic were found leading into the forest. Twilight eventually budged once she saw their pleading faces. She started along the path, three eager ponies behind her.

The group made their way through the Everfree Forest, nothing stopping their way until they heard a loud crack. Apple Bloom smelled the ash and other scent she had smelled the night before. Last time she’d almost got eaten by a cragadile. With another crack that reminded Apple Bloom of the sound of bucking a dead tree, a huge, leafy, tree fell down blocking their path back. “That has never happened,” Pipsqueak observed.

“It feels unnatural, I can sense some strange magic,” Dinky replied.

“I can sense dark magic,” Twilight concluded, fear suddenly gripping a hold of her. Plants suddenly shot forward separating them. Thick roots and vines swiftly crept towards them, as if they were being controlled by something. Twilight tilted her head in confusion as the green, not Plunderseed, vines tried to ensnare her.

“Twilight?” Pipsqueak shouted frantically.

“Stay right where you are!” Twilight shouted back. The ponies gathered close to each other, looking around fearfully. Twilight flew into the air, only to have vines trap her hooves.

Dinky was the first to notice something emerging, and she promptly shrieked. This grabbed the others attention to the horrifying creature. Glowing red eyes were attached to a pitch black skeletal frame, stumbled forward, letting out an eerie moan. Twilight tried to clear the foliage to reach them, but it seemed to be growing even thicker the more she tore away at it. She shot a beam of magic from her horn, and the zompony crumpled to the ground, only for more to take its place.

“Run!” Twilight screamed as she unsuccessfully pried the stubborn vines away. The ponies ran, but the zomponies were right on their tails. Twilight fired a SOS spell, before desperately battering the now slowing Everfree.

The zomponies were closing in on them, and the Everfree was blocking every path that wasn’t straight ahead. Vines reached for them, almost tripping them several times. More vines sprung up in front of them, trapping them. The only way to run was backwards, right into the zomponies’ hooves.

~~~

A blast of purple magic burst above the Everfree Forest. Sweetie Belle immediately looked up from her book, whilst Scootaloo stopped her trick, finally realizing that nocreature was watching her anymore. “They’re in trouble!” Scootaloo cried out.

“We’ve got to go help them!” Sweetie dropped her saddlebags and began running towards the forest. She didn’t know what she was going to do, but she had an idea about what was going to happen. She hoped they would make it there in time. Scootaloo ran after her, but a better idea came flying to her. Purplish flames enveloped her as her wingspan increased, new, much larger, feathers appeared as well. She wrapped her forehooves around Sweetie and flew.

~~~

“The zomponies! They’re real, and after us!” Dinky cried, trying to hold the closest one back with her magic, but there were too many. The zomponies continued advancing towards them, and Apple Bloom heard what they were saying. They were speaking of a curse, a terrible sickness, and now the poor pony wouldn’t be able to have their protection.

She didn’t know what to do, so she did the only thing that might be able to save her friends. She ran directly to the nearest zompony and bucked it with all her might.

It fell back, but only for a moment, and two others pounced on her, pinning her to the ground. She couldn’t move her hindlegs, twist around to hit with her forelegs. The zomponies firmly held her back down, and there didn’t seem to be any escape.

~~~

Twilight finally unblocked the barrier and broke the vines on her hooves. She galloped as fast as she could, fearing for the worst, following hooveprints on the ground. She propelled herself forward with her wings, there wasn't any use flying if she couldn’t see the trail from up in the sky. A shadow passed overhead as an orange blur dived down to meet her. Twilight starred in bewilderment at the two fillies that had just, quite literally, dropped out of the sky in front of her.

Scootaloo’s wings appeared to be bigger than normal, but she wasn’t sure if the light was playing tricks on her eyes. “That was awesome!” She shouted.

“Girls!” Twilight sputtered, “You- you can’t just come here by yourselves! I’ve already put three young ponies in danger!”

“We’re here to rescue them!” Scootaloo announced proudly.

“No! I can’t lose any of you! Get back to town before something terrible happens to you two!”

“Too late for that,” Sweetie whispered into Scootaloo’s ear before darting away, following the hoofprints.

“We don’t leave each other hanging,” Scootaloo declared before dashing after Sweetie Belle.

“Don’t get hurt, please,” Twilight pleaded as she hurried after them.

~~~

An idea popped into Apple Bloom’s head, it was probably their last resort. Hopefully it would work how she hopped. “Dinky! Pull me out!” She shouted as the zompony prepared to crush her head. Dinky’s magic tugged her forward, allowing her to disconnect her back. Her body tore in half, looking like part of a magician’s act, and she pushed off with her forehooves. The zompony’s hooves landed on the ground, it took only a moment before it charged after her front half.

The zompony outstretched its hooves, and exploded. It shrieked as it fell to the ground, and a heavy cloud of smoke obscured her view of all the other ponies. Apple Bloom barely saw Twilight and Scootaloo through the haze. She felt the weight pressing down on her back suddenly cease as another loud explosion sounded. With the smoke hiding her, Apple Bloom decided to move her back half over to her front.

Sweetie Belle’s eyes glowed a fierce yellow as they pierced through the smoke, she looked around, watching the destruction. Scootaloo had started rushing over to Apple Bloom, who was just reattaching her other half of her body. Twilight had lost track of the girls, but had spotted Pipsqueak and Dinky, running over to make sure they were okay. Sweetie took a step towards them, eyes no longer glowing. Sweetie was afraid, something had its hoof hovering over her, she just knew it.

The smoke had started to disperse as Sweetie stepped out of it, attracting Twilight’s attention. “Sweetie?” She questioned, the filly’s eyes were on her hooves, and her ears were folded down. Fear grabbed hold of her, “Apple Bloom? Scootaloo?”

“We’re over here,” Scootaloo answered, Apple Bloom had successfully put herself back together. The smoke still partly blocked their view of each other,

“You’re okay!” Twilight sighed in relief, and began to trot over to them. Dinky and Pipsqueak ran over. “I’m so glad you’re all safe! If any of those zomponies converted you, you probably wouldn’t be in control of yourselves.”

“Aren’t we glad that we were in the Everfree all alone yesterday?” Scootaloo laughed, quiet enough that Twilight wouldn’t hear. She quickly looked at Pipsqueak and Dinky who had overheard, “Keep it a secret.” They nodded.

“I’m not glad…”

“Do any of you know why Sweetie seems so distraught?” Twilight asked them, but much to her disappointment there wasn’t any answer. Meanwhile Sweetie Belle was busying herself by staring at her hooves. Sweetie couldn’t shake that feeling of being watched. She was being watched, she was sure of it, though something felt off.

“I’m the reason they’re being watched,” she thought. Her fear was overwhelming.

There seemed to be something else in her, Sweetie felt it.

~~~

“Sweetie, are you okay?” Twilight stared at her. Sweetie nodded, and they all left for Zecora’s hut once again. Nothing else attacked them physically, but their thoughts were assaulting them to the point of near submission with more questions than answers.

“What happened to me? There’s something else here…”

“I almost got them all hurt. It’s my fault that they were out here.”

“Ah don’t want to ever be like them.”

“What was up between Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon earlier?”

“Watching…”

“I think I should improve my magic, that was scary.”

“I can’t wait to get to Zecora’s! Nothing else is out here, right? Right?”

“What’ll happen if Twilight finds out ‘bout this?”

“I hope nopony asks about my wings.”

“I should make sure none of them got infected.”

“Can I reveal anything? I can’t…”

Twilight charged up a spell, one that would show her who was undead, and released it. Instantly Apple Bloom’s disguise was dropped, her coat darkened, her mane and tail became pale and faded. Her eyes burned with a fierce reddish fire, and she let out a startled gasp. Everypony noticed the change immediately, and all of them looked nervously at Twilight.

Twilight froze in place. “Ah swear, Ah was gonna see Starlight after we got Zecora!” Apple Bloom burst out.

“No. No, no. You’re undead now, be- because of me,” Twilight sobbed hysterically.

“Now?” Scootaloo laughed.

“What? Twilight looked up at her, tears in her eyes.

“You tell ‘er,” Apple Bloom nudged Scootaloo.

“No you!” She bumped her back.

“One of you tell me!” Twilight demanded.

“I’ll tell,” Sweetie sighed, eyes no longer on her hooves. Sweetie proceeded to tell all three of the ponies how Scootaloo, Apple Bloom, and her set up a surprise party in the crystal treehouse. How Nightmare had hit them all with a spell, and that the spell changed something about them. She revealed nothing else.

~~~

“All three of you got hit by an extremely powerful spell that can’t be reversed by any magic that we have?” Twilight angrily burst out as soon as Sweetie had told her the effects of the spell. “Based on what you told me about the spell, I know which one it is, and there is no known cure for anything it does! So, let me get your transformations straight. Apple Bloom’s undead, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle?” She looked at the two fillies for an answer.

“I’m a changeling now,” Scootaloo complied. Sweetie quickly threw her gaze back to her hooves.

“Sweetie Belle?” Twilight prompted. “Do you know what happened to you?” Sweetie gave a faint nod in reply before speaking.

“Maybe, I’m not entirely sure,” she squeaked. It was a lie, Sweetie knew that.

“Alright, when we get back to Ponyville you’re all going to Starlight,” Twilight decided.

“Already was,” Apple Bloom groaned under her breath.

~~~

“Who’s watching? I can feel something else here, watching. No. Not just watching…” Sweetie’s eyes turned yellow. Nopony noticed this shift because she kept her head down as they continued walking to Ponyville, now accompanied by Zecora. The sun was setting, Twilight made sure of it. She was in charge of it, and so she lifted the moon up too. Twilight hoped Celstia and Luna could come visit her soon now that they were retired.

“Finally!” Scootaloo huffed as Ponyville came into sight and the Everfree Forest ended.

“Soon it will be night, what a fright!” Zecora laughed, nopony had told her about their horrifying encounter.

Dinky and Pipsqueak ran to their houses, and the crusaders ran to Twilight’s Castle, where Starlight lived. Sweetie Belle’s eyes stopped glowing and returned to their original green.

“I know you’re there, and I know who you are. What have you done to me?”

~~~

“This is working much better than I could’ve imagined…” The sun set, final golden rays lingering on the autumn trees for mere moments before darkness took over. The moon began to rise, its cool light illuminating the ruined castle. “Did they forget who the target was? It wasn’t meant for three, just one. Alter three forms physically, and one me…”

The darkness attempted to burn out the light once again.

~~~

The crusaders had arrived at the castle, night had just started. Apple Bloom knocked, and a light purple mare opened the door. Sweetie’s eyes were once again green, they didn’t become yellow. “I won’t let you…”