• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 1,172 Views, 40 Comments

Chaos and Crusaders - Neon Icy Wings



A strange unicorn colt is found by the CMC in the Everfree and now they have to keep him out of trouble as they try and make him part of Ponyville. But, can a pony such as he, who is made from chaos and nightmares, ever fit in?

  • ...
1
 40
 1,172

Prologue: An unintentional last laugh

A few months had passed after Discord's second defeat, but what the Element bearers, the Princesses and even Discord himself didn't know, couldn't expect, was that his chaos energy, that was taken from everything Discord changed, was still floating around. It took it awhile, but it eventually floated right into the Everfree forest and meandered to the Castle of the Two Pony Sisters. Another thing that was unknown to everypony, was that Nightmare Moon, while defeated, he exact fate was uncertain in the end. Destroyed, locked away or truly Luna reformed mattered little in the end. As whatever the fate of the Queen of the Night was, her corrupted powers of dark magic lingered on, expelled from the returned Princess.

Once Discord's energy entered the castle Nightmare Moon's energy responded to its power and moved toward the ball of swirling chaos energy.

Normally balls of energy wouldn't be able to move or do anything unless accessed by a unicorn, but add Discord and chaos into the mix and things get fun. The two energies floated around each other in an intricate dance, orange and yellow around black and purple. Until they moved towards the other and started to fuse together into one. These two type of energies had never come into contact before, not in such primal and volatile forms, and even if somepony was there to witness it they wouldn't have a single idea what to expect. Eternal night and chaos combined? Just a simple explosion of magic? Neither of these would have been right.

The energies grew and tangled together, twisting, winding and swirling around each other in a strange hug. Until there was a flash of light and the crack of shattered stone. After the smoke had cleared the two energies were gone, replaced by a crater in the middle of the floor with something inside. Inside laid a normally sized unicorn colt, but he was anything but normal. His coat was a pinkish blue, his mane was black and purple and his horn was split into three colors, white on the left, black in the middle and blue on the right.

A few minutes passed before he began to stir from his slumber of new existence. He sat up and yawned, revealing a small fang, and rubbed his eyes with his hooves before opening them, his eyes were teal but for some reason they gave off the effect that they were different sizes. He arched his back, much like a cat would and lifted his front half from the ground to take in his surroundings. He adopted a small look of fear at the sight of crumbling walls and broken ceiling, but after gazing past the ceiling he noticed the night sky and the moon. At seeing the night sky he adopted a far more content look, a small smile adorning his young face.

After just sitting there, looking at the sky, he started to feel bored and wanted to explore, so, he got up and started walking to the entrance of the castle. And instantly fell on his face. After a few tears came to his eyes and a few mumbled, presumed curses to his mouth he got up and slowly and carefully made his way out side. He walked around a giant pedestal that seemed to have held something once and avoided some of the sharper shards of stone that were thrown from the craters creation. He stopped and grinned at the shards, remembering he was a unicorn, he tried using his magic on them. He closed his eyes and pointed his horn at the pieces and when he opened his eyes he was disappointed to see nothing had happened, he sighed and started to move on all the while unaware of a slight shift from the shards.

Gently stepping around more shards, he found himself in front of the archway leading out of the castle, and with an excited smile he trotted out.

Once free of his stone surroundings he began to smile much wider than before, and started to pick up the pace oh his trot, excited to see what this place had to offer. He trotted along and came across a rickety bridge that didn't seem all too stable. What many would have taken as a sign to take another route he saw as a challenge. With an ever widening smile and a small, debatably manic, giggle, he jumped onto the bridge. And the beams holding him cracked from the strain.

He stood still, not making a move lest they break and thrust him down, where exactly? He looked down and saw a huge drop bellow him, bottom obscured by the ominous cloud of fog. After witnessing the disturbing fate that beheld him, his head shot up straight, eyes wide holding the horror of one who's debated their own mortality a bit too soon for their liking.

Taking a few calming breaths he readied himself to run for his life across the bridge. And so he slowly counted down in his head all the way to zero and took off, galloping down the bridge. Each board he touched cracked and held him for less than a second, but he continued to gallop ignoring the crackings and smashings that were quickly gaining on his hooves and galloped right off the bridge, but he continued to run.

He turned his head to see the bridge break completely and fall into the abyss it once stood over. He closed his eyes,
a laugh bursting from his chest and turned his head forwards again, opening his eyes just in time to see first hoof the bark of a tree being worse than its bite. He fell onto his haunches and rubbed his nose, eyes tearing up again as he started to sniffle. He shook his head and wiped the tears out of his eyes and started off again into the forest, but again, more cautious so as to not hurt his nose again at the vile branches -or trunk- of the veritable army of trees around him.

As he started walking into the forest he was calmed by the light of the moon and stars. Sadly, that calmness soon broke when he heard a splash from a wall of trees and bush. He went to investigate and came upon an interesting sight, it was a sea serpent in a stream. Stream serpent? Not wanting it to notice him, if a bridge was quick to betray him he wasn't interested in testing the loyalty of a living being so soon, he quickly made his way to the stream side behind bushes.

Carefully he stepped into the water, all the while, inside a bush when the sea serpent spoke from above, sending the colt into ramrod stillness, "Oh, how dreadful! A nasty bush messing with the crystalline waters of this lovely stream. This won't do!" And with that the sea serpent picked up the bush and the colt inside and threw them onto the side they hadn't started on. Dazed, the colt got up and walked away, too dizzy to care about the serpent and if it saw him.

After regaining the ability to walk and see where he was going at the same time, surprisingly avoiding trees all the same he continued on. For a brief while it was all calm and stars, with hardly anything of note until he came across a pass with two cliffs on either side, and in between them a sleeping manticore. Once again seeing what the world placed before him as a challenge, he gently made his way over to the manticore and started to slip pass it. He gently stepped past its tail and paws and was safely on the other side of the pass and started to walk away, a smug look on his silly little mug, when the manticore grabbed him in its paws and started to lick his mane while it slept. Grumbling to himself, he saw a stick close by and tried to pick it up with his hooves. That went on for a minute before he finally got it, a minute of straining and slobber. He started to wriggle the stick into the paws and the manticore started to hug the stick more and more, allowing him to escape onto the ground. He gave the manticore one last look and smiled as it licked the stick like a lollipop. Despite being an annoyance towards his adventure, even the colt had to admit, the kitty was cute in its own way.

He sighed and walked away, glad to not have been hurt in the least. He wandered on, into a denser part of the forest, smile ever shrinking, from the creepy, more hostile appearing trees, less than friendly sounds and the fact he couldn't see the moon or stars anymore, to a fearful frown. He trotted along, cautiously evermore, until he heard a snap of a twig behind him. He stiffened, eyes wide with what monstrosity may be behind him. With his eyes closed he turned around slowly and opened them. It was just a little white bunny rabbit. He sighed from relief before wondering, What's a small bunny doing out here? He started to walk toward the white rabbit, but before he got close to it he heard a growl to the right of them. The rabbit rushed towards him and hugged one his forelegs in fear.

The colt turned once more to see what caused the noise, only to have his pupils shrink to pinpricks at the sight of two Timberwolves. Knowing their fangs out matched his singular own he made a split second decision. In a spur of the moment thought, he picked up the little rabbit, put it on his back and ran for his life for the second time that night. He had no idea where he was going, nor did he care, all he wanted was to get away from the wooden wolves as fast as possible. Sadly, being a unicorn, he couldn't run fast or for long and was quickly running on fumes of what little energy the night hadn't sapped from him. He stopped after another minute of running and decided to face his fate. He turned around to see the Timberwolves running towards him, he bowed his head and let a few tears trickle down his face, rabbit on his back joining in, if only for the sake of camaraderie. But as he lowered his head his sight passed over something he didn't notice while running and the Timberwolves were running right for it.

He started to giggle and waited for the show to start, the rabbit adopting a look clearly shouting its belief the colt had lost his mind. The Tiberwolves ran towards him, but unlike him, stepped on a net hidden partially beneath the leaves. The net swung up and sent them flying the way they came, leaving the rabbit and the colt laughing at their misfortune. After he regained enough senses, he made sure the bunny was on his back and continued on his way. But after no more than a few steps he heard a squeaky voice behind him say, "I told you you tied it too tight!"

A southern accented filly's voice answered the first, "It wouldn't stay secure no matter how Ah tied it!"

Before the first voice could speak another, bolder filly voice spoke, "It doesn't matter whose fault it is! We still didn't get our Creepy Creature Catcher Cutie Marks! And we didn't find Angel!"

At the mention of his name, Angel bunny ran off the colt's back and toward the voices, where the first said, "Angel! Where did you come from?"

Curious, the colt followed in the bushes, so as not to be seen. After silently walking through the bushes he saw the sources of the voices. One was a white unicorn filly with a light purple-pink mane. The second was a yellow earth pony filly with a red mane and a bow in said mane. The last one was an orange pegasus with a darker purple mane. It was then he realized that Angel was doing a series of charades and pointing in his direction.

The pegasus groaned, "Yes Angel. We know you came from there. We're not that oblivious."

Angel just face pawed and tried again, mimicking the Timberwolves running and then himself hanging onto something. It took a bit before the earth pony spoke, "Oh! He said that somepony saved him!"

Angel smiled, nodded furiously and pointed in the colt's direction. The pegasus narrowed her eyes and got into a defensive stance and called to the bushes, "You better come out! Or I'll come in and get you!"

The colt started to panic and thought about running but then looked at the pegasus' face and decided not to tick her off. He slowly exited the bush and looked at them trying to read their faces for hostility. But only the pegasus seemed to be suspicious of him, for the other two smiled and the unicorn said as she started walking towards him, "Thanks for finding Angel! Fluttershy will be so happy!" She looked to her friends and muttered, "If she knows he's gone."

The pegasus spoke to her friend but kept her eyes on the colt, "Sweetie Belle!" The unicorn stopped and looked at her friend, "We know nothing about this guy! He could be dangerous!"

The earth pony shook her head and said, "He saved Angel from them Timberwolves so he can't be all bad."

The pegasus sat down, closing one eye in thought before opening it again, "Maybe. But I have my eyes on you." She said, pointing suspiciously at the colt.

The unicorn, apparently called Sweetie Belle, said to the colt, "I haven't seen you before. Where are you from?"

He put a hoof to his chin, wondering what to say. Eventually he decided they were trustworthy. He pulled his hoof away from his chin and pointed to the Castle he had journeyed from, which they could still see from where they were, if only the tip of a spire.

Sweetie Belle looked to where he as pointing and slowly turned back, "Y-you're a ghost?!" She yelped and jumped behind the earth pony.

Said earth pony rolled her eyes and looked at her friend, "He ain't a ghost Sweetie Belle! Ghosts are white and see through."

Sweetie looked around her friend staring at the colt and smiled sheepishly, "Oh. Right."

The earth pony took a few steps towards the unicorn colt and said, "Enough of this silliness. Mah name's Applebloom! And these are mah friends Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo! What's your name?"

He raised his hoof and opened his mouth but then realized something he should have before. He lowered his hoof back to the ground and shook his head a little before speaking for the first time in a soft voice, "I... I don't have a name."

Scootaloo snorted and rolled her eyes, "Yeah right. Nopony doesn't have a name."

He shook his head again, "If I do I don't remember."

Sweetie Belle walked up next to Applebloom and asked, "If you don't remember your name do you at least have somewhere to sleep?"

He then realized that even if he had wanted to sleep in the castle he couldn't due to the bridge breaking when he crossed it, "Uh... no." He muttered, voice crestfallen from such a realization, and the sensation of feeling much more vulnerable.

Sweetie Belle's face broke into a smile as she got an idea, "Hey! How about after we take Angel back to Fluttershy's house you can join us on our sleep over!"

Scootaloo's face shifted to surprise and confusion, "What?!"

Applebloom smiled as well and said, "Yeah! That's a good idea Sweetie!"

Scootaloo's jaw was almost on the ground, "What? Are you two crazy?!"

Her two friends turned to her, "What?"

Scootaloo put her head in her hooves and shook it before replying, "We don't know who he is and you two just invite him over? He could be dangerous!"

While her two friends thought this over the colt spoke up, "I could say the same about you, you know."

Scootaloo looked at him with a scowl but then thought his words over, "Good point. Don't expect me to agree with you alot though."

He just shrugged and she looked to her friends who asked, "Please? We just want a new friend."

And before she could say anything Sweetie came up to her and said in a whisper, "Besides making him our friend he can also join us as a crusader." She pointed her hoof at his flank which bore no Cutie Mark, "See?"

Scootaloo thought this new information over. They hadn't tried to get a colt into The Cutie Mark Crusaders for awhile, Pipsqueak said it was too girly, they considered Featherweight but he got his Cutie Mark before they asked and Rumble said he couldn't due to his brother's cloud house being too far away and that he was constantly behind on home work.

Scootaloo sighed, "Fine. But I'm still keeping my eyes on him."

Sweetie Belle giggled and started walking away, "Come on everypony! We're taking our new friend to the club house!"

They all started walking down the path that led out of the forest Sweetie Belle and Applebloom in front carrying Angel the colt in the middle and Scootaloo watching him in the back, and all the colt could do was smile and think, I have friends.