• Published 7th Jan 2023
  • 393 Views, 37 Comments

The Man of Lost Time - Shroomkin



A lone ronin finds himself in a new world after being mortally wounded in battle.

  • ...
3
 37
 393

The Serene State of Mind in the Midst of a Meeting

Chapter 3: The Serene State of Mind in the Midst of a Meeting


Gone are the days that made me hate. The days that made me fear, the cruelty and anguish my clan endured. Gone are those days wherein I sharpen my blade alongside my comrades to prepare for war. Gone are the days where I spend my nights with my wife. Now I dream in eternal slumber as I await my journey to the Takamagahara through the sacred bridge of Ame-no-ukihashi. This dream world, however, must be influenced by the last thing I saw, the orange mare who galloped gracefully towards my dying body. I loathe the man who let such a mare go uncared for in that dreadful place. For it to roam in a battlefield of rusted metal and blood-soaked cloth, I loathe to think of such.

This dream world is surprising, though. For it to feel so... real, there could be a time where I might fear my own creation should I ever dream of such nightmares. The feel of this paper underneath my hooves, the soft yet firm feeling from the zabuton behind my back; the warmth of the light from the sun as it shone through the window, the cold and brisk air surrounding the room, the very breath I make, it's far too realistic. Yet I have seen and talked with the horses, or well, ponies, as what Nurse Redheart has told me, thus concluding that this world truly is but a dream. There were claims from people talking with animals, yet I have never encountered them doing so. Surely, this is but a long dream. Perhaps the gods are testing me to see if I am truly worthy of the solace of rest that I yearn for.

Still, I am glad that my grip is coming back to me. It had been two days since I've been in this "hospital". For two days I have been tested. For what reason, I do not know. In that time, I have learned from Nurse Redheart that once I start to get better, I can venture forward into their village. This "Ponyville" they speak of, according to her anyways, is a bright and peaceful village, home to many tribes of these ponies. I am inclined not to believe it had I not seen a winged pony and a horned pony. Apparently they are called Pegasi and Unicorns. I asked if the unicorns are related to the Kirin, only to find that they are two different tribes.

While they were at it, she told me that I have to pass certain tests, though I do not know what they mean. I simply stood there in front of their "Eks-rae", I endured the pricking of needles upon my skin, and I answered their questions of how I feel to the best of my abilities.

Still, I have to thank Nurse Redheart for allowing someone such as myself to gain new knowledge on this dream world. While not as skilled as a teacher, she managed to give me lectures on the basics of their katakana, or rather, their alphabet. I find it amusing, though still burdened by the book in front of me, for I can not read it, even if the "cover" is enticing. I do not wish to burden Nurse Redheart even more just for her to read the book for me. It would be shameful. I have to study if I wish to understand this book in front of me, to get back to writing poetry for the sake of my own peace. Staring once more at the window, I mutter to myself.

"The misty mountain,
Sits upon the lake of tears.
Such sadness, it bears..."

"Wow, that's a really nice poem!" Said the lavender unicorn as she stepped inside the room. Along with her were the familiar faces of the horses, no, ponies that I saw when I first woke up. The orange mare I first saw as I lay on the ground was there, this time with a brown hat of some sorts. Not wanting to be rude, I slowly bowed in their direction. "Forgive me, nurse, but I believe I am done with the 'tests' for the current day." Looking at them, they had this confused look upon their muzzles, and I would be daft if I didn't think of this as cute. "I only wish to rest for the moment," I replied as I gazed at the window once more.

"Oh sweetie, they aren't nurses! They're here to check on you!" Nurse Redheart said as she stepped forward from the group. Looking back at them, I swiftly bowed. "My apologies, I assumed too much."

She giggled as she checked on my "Ai Vee" Drip. Once she was done, she waved us all goodbye as she stepped outside the room, leaving me in silence with the rest of the ponies. "Hehe, soo..." The lavender mare started, "I heard that you needed a teacher? Well, I always wanted to be one, though, it's more for the subject of theoretical and applicational approach to magic. My name is Twilight Sparkle, and well, I'd be happy to teach somepony like you, eager and hungry for knowledge! I hope to learn from you too, it would be a pleasure!" She said ecstatically as she smiled. Frantically, however, she decided to bow, much to my amusement.

"I heard from Nurse Redheart that you react much more positively if we bow back, soo," she said as she nudged her friend, the cyan pegasus, who was snickering from the looks of it. "Relax, Twi, you're probably freaking him out," she said as she landed. "Well anyways, I'm Rainbow Dash! Fastest flyer of ALL of Equestria! Remember that, okay squirt?" She didn't bow, much to the chagrin of Twilight. The white unicorn simply rolled her eyes as she stepped forward, bowing as gracefully as a noblewoman. Perhaps she is one?

"It is a pleasure to meet you, though, I do not know your name, darling. I refuse to believe what Nurse Redheart said regarding your name. Perhaps you were joking at the time, so I wish to know yours properly. You may address me simply as Rarity, darling. And I must say, your clothes are absolutely divine!" Rainbow rolled her eyes, annoyed at the nobility in front of her. The disrespect of this mare... Suddenly, the pink mare bounced in front of Rarity.

"Hiya! My name is Pinkamena Diane Pie, or Pinkie Pie! You're new to Ponyville but you are stuck here in this insy-bitsy room so it must be boring! But don't worry, once you become a-okay, you will have the biggest, most amazingest, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, 'WELCOME TO PONYVILLE AND GET WELL SOON' party ever! Ooohh, I can't wait, can you wait? I bet you can't wait more than me! I'm the world champ, you see!" The pink mare, Pinkie Pie it seems, spoke as she bowed her head. She also gave me a piece of bread with pink snow, a touch of tiny blue and red rocks. The orange mare simply placed a hoof on her face as she, along with the yellow pegasus walked towards me.

"Mighty sorry 'bout that sugarcube. They're just a tad bit excited to meet ya. They're nice folks once ya get to know 'em. Name's Applejack, proud apple farmer of Sweet Apple Acres, and Ah heard ya were askin' where Ah am?" Following Twilight's example, she bowed soon after she's done her greetings. "Ah, so the mare who brought me here is known as Applejack," I silently thought to myself as I gazed on the yellow pegasus who quietly started to walk towards me. "Oh... I hope we didn't disturb you. We're really sorry. Are you okay? Does it hurt?" Timid was her nature as she gently grabbed my hoof, inspecting it like how a mother would do to a son who scraped their arm. This continued for a few seconds before Applejack coughed. Almost everypony cringed when they remembered... something as they looked at me with worry once more.

"Oh, uhm, right. I'm... Fluttershy. It's nice to meet you." Fluttershy then bowed.

With the introductions done, I decided to properly sit up and kneel, not realizing how painful my position might look to the others. I slowly bowed my head as I introduced myself, only to stop when I heard them. Hearing their gasps, I accurately guessed that they were worried about my hind legs. Fluttershy tried to get close, only for her to stop when I spoke. "From where I come from, this is how we show sincerity," I said before bowing my head. "I am Ryoto of the once proud Akamine clan. You may call me Akamine Ryoto."

"That's pretty cool!" I heard a tiny squeak as I looked at the door. Standing there were three foals, each with a distinguishable feature. The normal pony had a pink bow, the pegasus had tiny wings, and the unicorn, who was a bit scared of me I presume, had a curly mane. "Apple Bloom! What'd Ah tell ya 'bout barging in like that?" Applejack scolded. The young pegasus then stared at something in the wall as she squeaked even more. "Really cool sword!" She was about to touch it, only for a lavender aura to pick it up. "No can do, this is dangerous and probably important to mister... uhh... Rioto Acka Meene." The pegasus pouted, only for her to be picked up by Rainbow Dash. "It's okay, Scoots, we'll get you a bigger one!"

Twilight was apparently appalled by the idea as she scolded the cyan pegasus. It was when I noticed the white unicorn foal upon my side as she cautiously looked at my posture. "Doesn't that hurt?" Rarity, shocked at this, immediately plucked her sister off the bed. "Sweetie Belle! You do NOT just climb another pony's bed without asking for their permission! That is simply rude and uncouth!" She then turned her attention back to me as she apologized. "Although, I really am curious. Are you not hurt by your, position whatsoever?"

I simply shook my head. "It is of proper etiquette, lady Rarity. I have been trained to do so in my early years." She gasped, though, I do not know why. "Well, uhh, regardless, you three, introduce yourselves to our guest!" The three pouted, only to smile once more. Sweetie Belle, apparently, became snarky as she replied back. "But Rarity! He isn't even in our house!" Before Rarity could retort, however, the three spoke up.

"I'm Apple Bloom!"
"My name's Sweetie Belle!"
"Name's Scootaloo!"

And then they huddled together. "And together, we are the Cutie Mark Crusaders!" They then bounced in place as a burst of questions came from their tiny snouts. The only ones I caught were about what I did, where I came from, and what my favorite dish is. Stunned by it all, I simply stared back at the lavender unicorn mare and the orange mare. "I would be in your care, Professor Twilight. I agree to teach you as you have to teach me." Twilight giggled as she... danced in place? I really do not know how to explain her actions. I then turned to the orange mare, "And I am in your debt, Mistress Applejack. I have been told of how large your land is, and as such, I am yours to command." The others went silent as they looked at each other. "Beggin' yer pardon there, sugarcube, but what're ya talkin' about?"

"You hold the largest land, therefore, you must be the ruler of this place. I humbly bow unto your presence, Mistress Applejack. I believe Lady Rarity simply came with you in this visit as both of you are of powerful nobility." I bowed once more, prostrating myself to the mares in front of me. "I am at your beck and call as you have saved me from a painful nightmare."

The others were simply stunned. "Uhh, did you hit your head or somethin-" Rainbow said only to cringe at herself. "Yeah, no, ignore that." As she wished, I simply chose to ignore... whatever it was that she wanted to say. Confused by it all, I simply looked back at them. "Are you not the heiress of your Daimyƍ, mistress Applejack?" I could see it in her eyes that she doesn't understand. "Very well, though I am still in your debt. Should you need me, I will heed the call."

"Now, don't go assumin' that I'd let ya help out ALL the time there, partner. Ya need to rest and regain yer energy, none of this 'in your debt' thing. Ya understand?" Her dialect really is heavy. "I understand. I do wish to start learning soon. After all, Nurse Redheart told me that I may leave after a few days." Twilight, giggling sheepishly, simply replied. "Yeah, haha, I can't wait!"

As the sun sets down on the horizon, I felt surprisingly calm. It wasn't the usual calm I had. It was... serenity. Perhaps I have passed one of the tests from the hundreds the gods might give. The visitors were gone, yet I still feel their presence, as if they never left. I pray I do not plague such lands with my nightmares. Ecstatic, however, at the news of learning, I silently muttered words as I gazed at the setting sun.

"The cherry blossom
Blooms forth in lush majesty.
Such stillness in grace."

Author's Note:

Shroomkin's Glossary:

Takamagahara: A Shinto version of heaven, also known as "High Plane of Heaven"
Ame-no-ukihashi: The bridge leading to heaven, also known as "The Floating Bridge of Heaven"
Zabuton: Square pillow used by the Japanese during the Kamakura era to the Edo era
Katakana: A way of writing from Japan