• Published 28th Dec 2022
  • 305 Views, 0 Comments

the Midwest and Southern railway story - Jake crosby

  • ...
 0
 305

History

In the last chapter, I gave a brief history on the railroad and what type of engines run it. In this chapter, I'll give you the full history about the railroad and the engines.

The railway officially opened on June 7, 1869 when the first train was run from Calhoun city the Pinewood about 30 miles away by the railways first locomotive number 1. The railway ran for about 12 years with the single locomotive until in 1881 they decided to extend to the logging town of Timber Gulch. Due to the small capacity of water and coal of the single engine the railroad contacted H.K. Porter & Inc to build a new bigger engine. At the same time the Denver and Rio Grand railway was getting rid of two old 0-6-0 class 45 saddle tank engines. The company bought the two engines dirt cheap before transporting them to their main engine works in Calhoun city. In 1890 the new porter locomotive given the number 2 arrived. Then in 1891 the two rebuilt class 45 locomotives emerged from the works numbered 3 and 4.

In 1903 two new climax locomotives were bought by the railway. One being a class B and numbered 5 and the other being a class C and numbered 6. About 4 years later in 1907 the railway made its final extension to Durango Colorado. The railway ran well for the most part but between 1914 and 1918 the railway was run hard to help produce timber for the great war. In 1925 the Denver and Rio Grand Western railway offered the Midwest and Southern railway two new class 28 locomotives. In desperate need of semi fast locomotives, the railroad agreed to buy the engines for $32,000 each. After receiving the two engines they where given numbers 7 and 8. Then in 1940 with war raging across the ocean the railroad contacted the D&RGW to see if they could buy one of there k-37 class locomotives for $40,000. In 1941 the new engine was delivered to the railway at the Calhoun city yards where it was rebuilt to increase its top speed to 70mph and it was given the number 9.

In early 1954 with most of the locomotives out of service or due for an overhaul, the then owner of the railroad Zachery Morgen ordered a new engine to be built by their own engine works to be stronger than the engines they had. Finally in 1955 the new engine emerged from the works. The new engine, a shay locomotive, was given the number 10 and joined the ranks of engines on the railway. In 1969 the railroad celebrated its 100 birthday with locomotive number 1 taking a train to the very first stop the railway ever went to. Finally in 1970 locomotive number 9 received a major rebuild resulting in his top speed being increased to about 105 mph. The locomotive emerged from the works in 1972. Between 1972 and 2019 nothing major happened until you know they where teleported to Equestria.

That is the history of the railroad now its time to talk about the engines.

Locomotive number 1 also known as Porter is a 0-4-0 side tank engine built by H.K. Porter company in 1869. He is a very old and wise engine who although says sometimes doing things the old fashion way is better knows that sometimes doing things the new way is also good. Porter works as the yard engine for the railyards in Calhoun city.

Locomotive 2 who's name is Joe is the younger brother of Porter. Being a 0-4-2 he has a little more powerful than his older brother and loves to show off. Being an old engine also he knows the meaning of hard work and loves to tell story's about the good old days to the new engines. Joe works as the yard engine in the railyards of Durando.

locomotive 3 and 4 who are named Dutch and lady Elgin. both engines where built by the D&RG as 0-6-0 saddle tank class 45 locomotives. Dutch is a wise old sage who likes to work and do his best know matter what. lady Elgin is a grand and elegant engine who loves to look her best. Although she does not like to get dirty she will if it means getting the job done. when the railway bought both engines they extended the coal capacity and added a set of wheels for stability turning them into 0-6-2 locomotives. Both engines run goods trains from Calhoun city to Pinewood.

locomotives 5 and 6 called Case and Bulldog are two large climax gear logging engines. Case is a large 55 ton class B two truck climax where as Bulldog is a 70 ton 3 truck class C climax locomotive. Both engines are fun and carefree being the pranksters of the group they love being out in the wilderness running log trains. Both run log trains from both Pinewood and Timber Gulch to the timber mill in Calhoun city.

locomotives 7 and 8 named Cass and Dakota are two large 2-8-2 Mikado k-28 locomotives. Cass is a very quiet engine who loves to pull freight trains. Dakota on the other hand is a very loud and out going engine who loves to pull passenger trains. Both engines run passenger and freight trains between Calhoun city and Durango.

locomotive 9 named Mack is another 2-8-2 Mikado locomotive but is a k-37 class and not a k-28. being more powerful Mack is often seen taking heavy freight or long passenger trains. When he was brought to the railway, Mack received bigger driving wheels and roller bearings moving his top speed from 44 mph to about 70mph. Mack was also rebuilt in 1970 to increase his top speed even more to 105mph. Mack is a cool level headed individual who always has an answer for every thing. Mack works between all 4 places on the railroad.

Finally locomotive 10 also known as Ephraim is an experimental shay locomotive and the youngest of the fleet. Being built with 5 cylinder and not 3 he has far more power then any shay and locomotive on the railway. Named after the man who designed his kind of engine gives him great pride but he does not let is go to his smoke box. Always eager to learn Ephraim is a kind and caring engine. You can see Ephraim running log trains from Pinewood and Timber Gulch to the timber mill in Calhoun city.


And there it is the history of the railway and the engines that run it. Be on the look out for more chapters to come.

Author's Note:

the Midwest and Southern railway is not in anyway owned by the Denver and Rio Grand railway. it is a separate company and railroad.