• Published 5th May 2023
  • 221 Views, 4 Comments

Dawn of Midnight - TheApostate



An exploration of the last years before the Banishment.

  • ...
 4
 221

Midnight

Those who promise us paradise in the world have produced anything but a hell.’

-Mekeskaf, heiress to Queen Beremaka of Hive Crucis.

‘What would it be for, then? To continue building the cloud habitations you are still promising to finish after fifteen years? Not a difficult one; hm? Five years you had assured – remember? You do not require our assistance,’ asserted the Duchess of Manehattan, playing with her red mane to entertain herself with something more worthwhile than the demands of the Baron of Ponderosa.

‘Ponderosa requires those resources more than you ever will!’

The baron’s voice surged in the open hallway. He appeared differently from his counterpart; he possessed a light gray fur with a silvered mane, while she proudly wore her deep beige. The guards remained impassive but stood ready to intervene in case talks soured – and it had been so many times before. In fact, those very same talks had occurred with those two more times than they ever cared to remember. Their dispute was important – they were sure – but as long as the guards were not ordered to act upon their training, they had to trudge through their disputes. A thing they reciprocated with their ruler with an equal tranquil stance, though theirs was less subtle.

The duchess remained proud. ‘We also have projects to finish; funds are also required.’

‘Ah, you lot in Manehattan are in need of funds, hein?’ he mocked. ‘Another palace for one of your children? A bribe for certain foreign traders that will only benefit y-’

‘I let you know that it does trickle down. Already the past year we have modernized the sewer system and expanded the baths. We have renovated popular habitations and ensured easier access to clean water for drink and farming! You criticize just to hide your shortcomings.’

They looked up toward Celestia. Her eyes were closed, letting out a serenity that in spite of how much they had been witness to it, still baffled them. A perfect statue made of the perfect white, representing all their different colorations in one. She was hearing them – that they knew. It was simply her favored method of comprehension; no emotion was apparent, no obvious slide to one’s side or the other. She wore an expression that irradiated with the patience and wisdom only a creature as she could conjure; yet it wasn’t all-encompassing. She was approachable and was known to crack jokes and accept some of those at her expense, but the feeling of having to restrain their words and carefully weave them with delicate attention lest it offends their ruler.

‘Alright,’ calmly interjected Celestia, widening her smile to ease down the building tensions between the two. One of them wanted to raise her voice but Celestia spoke more, preventing the Duchess from expressing her thoughts. ‘I can attest to the improvements you two have achieved. I would like to congratulate you once more on it.’

‘Thank you, Princess. It-’

‘However,’ she cut through the words like a newly smithed sword, ‘you indeed possess enough resources in your domain to assist your fellow Equestrians no matter the circumstances. I have not received anything pertaining to any significant projects you were entertaining. In fact, looking at the past year’s report and taking into consideration your economic activities, you will have a treasury in excess. Like previous year and the one preceding it.’

‘In turn, funds that can be sent,’ he pointed out.

Celestia nodded and then addressed one of them, but who exactly, they could not tell. ‘But for it to be done, you will need to purge your bureaucracy of the undesirables,’ added Celestia, letting out a certain assertiveness.

‘Yes, Princess,’ the duchess and baron conceded.

‘Wonderful! But to make sure, an arrest warrant has been sent to the head of the port and the head of customs, duchess. Also consider similar actions already under way, baron.’

‘But-’ she wanted to object. She had made her cousin as harbormaster and her brother as an in-charge of levying taxes on merchandise, their arrest would be disastrous and the investigation subsequent would spill out the end of her dynasty. She had been raised to be a duchess, not some lowly countess or, while it might sound odd, petty princess. Though, she knew she had already lost.

‘But nothing,’ interrupted Celestia. ‘Duchess, you will offer a loan and-’

‘We cannot afford loans, Princess,’ he admitted.

‘I would gladly offer you those funds – but with high collaterals.’

‘I know the interests you like to present for lenders!’

‘You can comb out the details during the night,’ said Celestia. She wanted to expand on that thought, but the duchess spoke first.

‘It will get stolen!’ Celestia looked down at her. She noticed her raised tone and then lowered it. ‘As they always do. Funds siphoned who-knows-where without any meaningful… anything! The west can barely differentiate between an apple and a pear.’ She paused. ‘Nor I would be able to distinguish between a learned scholar and a lowly common child.’

Enough,’ asserted Celestia.

‘You accuse and accuse but lack any substantial evidence!’ the duchess held on to her shout.

‘The Princess has spoken!’ he buried the knife deeper.

‘Let your absent one decide-’

You both speak as if you are innocent,’ eyed Celestia both of them; she clenched her teeth tight to not raise her voice. ‘Neither of you are. But one is more than the other, and that back and for during the past hour – Nay, the past two months! – has showcased how utterly biased you two are. That is baffling and childish.’

Seeing that neither of them wanted to add to the conversation, Celestia continued. ‘Now, kindly, go rest for the night, decide the method upon which we will conclude those talks, and we will continue in the morning. For better or worse, the matter will end tomorrow. It is summer, nights are always cooler here, it will lend will to thinking. And if no agreement is reached, I would have to partake in a more direct approach. Or the thing you are fearing could happen, duchess. The same applies to you too, baron. That is my final decision. Leave and good night.’

‘Good night, Princess Celestia,’ they said, bitterness and resentment apparent.

Celestia nodded back, letting them leave together.



Those two had only been the perfect topping for what had been another grueling day. A repeat of the same labors she experienced countless times over in her long life. She had to teleport herself into many locations to keep up with her engagements, leaving her drained utterly. Yet, it was not all done; some of the issues required more attention than she could offer in a single day or year. Her smile, once radiant and true, had turned into a fake one – a thing she had to wear to keep a semblance of what she had made the world believe to be real.

“I would have to partake in a more direct approach”; it possesses two meanings and she detested either one. Yet she had to use one of them from time to time when she had to capitulate to the requirements of certain individuals. Those two were the easy options, but she kept them as final options only. They terrified her of how easy the slide could be once she let herself go loose. She had to keep herself tethered, to not take the easy path. Many would suffer if she came to freely rely upon force of arms, but the equal opposite would occur if she did dived too freely in her current ways. Celestia still recalled vividly the early days and had no wish to see them go past once more. Peaceful negotiations are the way of things, nothing else.

The past was done; only the future mattered.

Celestia ponderously pushed her tired frame toward her room, telling a guard in his polished golden armor to inform Luna, if she would come to pass, of her location. Blood had gathered down to her legs, and they felt numb. You would think someone like her would have gotten used to such things after decades of repeating tiresome work. From personal experience, she could attest it was not the case. Finally releasing oneself after long hours was both elating and painful; she could never decide which was which. The question provided some amusement when she had the time to ponder such things. And liberating that time was a quest she constantly fought for. She tried many schedules and had put in place many contingencies. But Equestria was an annoying pet, constantly demanding her attention at every moment. Pre-planned schedules became obsolete as soon as they were finished, the ad-hoc became her go to. One talent she had found herself incredible at, and one she still enjoy to this day, was her ability to cleanly and perfectly scratch with a pen. Her writing was scribbles at the best of times, which made her appreciate the contrast even more. Small pinpricks of fun, she scattered above the redundancies and exasperations of her role, to brighten her simulacrum days. The routine embedded themselves.

At least she had Luna to harken brake the routine. To take her back to a time when such responsibilities were foreign to her. But her sister had turned more absent in the past years, leaving for even longer stretches. On the chance she would come, Celestia wished Luna’s advice. To reassure her in moments of doubt that she was acting in the correct course. She trusted her sister’s words, and would never dare doubt their veracity. In private, it was the reality of things. In public, however, Celestia had to walk a careful balance; she needed to trust her, but not naively follow her.

Celestia finally arrived at her bed. She let herself fall upon it, taking whatever pillow she could use without caring for the way her somewhat ornate quarters would look to outsiders. She can be awakened by some intruder in the early morning; she knew they would not dare levy anything toward her.

****













What are you?

I am Celestia. I am Luna’s sister.

What are you?

I am Celestia. I am Luna’s sister. I am the one that raises the Sun, the-

No. What are you truly to them?

To whom?

To them. What are you?

An Alicorn. My sister and I are Al-

What are you to them?

I don’t know.

What are you to them? Luna is the Maiden of Dreams. Who is Celestia to unleash upon them? What is Celestia to those that live common lives?

Their Prin-

What are you to them?

I am Celestia…

And?

I am Celestia.

And?

I… I am Celestia and I am Luna’s sister.

No-

‘Celestia?’ asked a faint and familiar voice.

‘Luna…’ Excitement was perceptible beneath her tired tone. Celestia wanted to raise her head to greet her properly, but she was too tired to even make do on that simple action. Luna stared down at her with distant eyes; her staleness was not betraying any want to aid her. Laboriously, Celestia put a pillow beneath her head so she could more easily talk with Luna. ‘I missed you.’

‘Me too.’ She showed no outward sign of emotion.

A thought passed Celestia’s mind; terrified and weary, she moved past it. ‘I require some-’

‘Later,’ Luna instantly interrupted, knowing well what she desired from her.

‘Not… Alright,’ Celestia accepted. ‘How was your day- your month- H-how are you, then…?’

Luna thought she heard the hint of a patronizing tone. She hid her disgust. ‘Nothing you should concern yourself with. I was here for an errand now finished. And what had needed to be done, was done; until they soar later in the ages. Equestria is stable for now, and the borders are safe; there is nothing major to be concerned about, sister. Everything, and I repeat,’ she held on to a hiss, ‘everything is fine in the realm.’

She knew Luna was lying on the last part, but Celestia could not help but to smile at it. ‘True… Why don’t you sit?’

‘You need sleep. Look at yourself!’ She purposefully exaggerated her movements. But then remembered the baffled decorum, and ceased instantly. ‘And I have my duties, now,’ added Luna.

‘Yes… That you do…’ She had hoped for more that time.

‘Do not want me to perform what is mine to do?’ Luna scorned.

Celestia did not answer for a second. ‘Of course not.’

‘Then I have my work to perform. The Moon was raised; I am already late for it. I am busy.’

‘Excuse me, Luna. I just hoped we could’ – she yawned – ‘… that we could talk a little more.’

‘About what?’ Luna denounced.

Celestia closed her eyes. ‘Anything. At least before you leave again.’ There was a certain sadness underneath, but so sheaved it was that it could easily go unnoticed.

‘I have my own duties, Celestia,’ stated Luna.

‘You can choose the ones close to here…’

‘I do not like it here. Everyone acts fake and too full of themselves for me to ever even consider their issues anything worthwhile. Their opulence has changed them.’ She approached Celestia, her whisper cold like a winter storm. ‘You want me to desert the border regions and any other more fringe locations? To leave aside the forgotten and the weak in profit of those you deal with daily? No. No, I will not choose the ones close to here.’ She lifted her head up, leveling her voice. ‘Other regions require my attention, you know it. You good at what you do.’

Luna smiled, expecting a rebuttal, but nothing came as Celestia had slipped into sleep.

‘Good night,’ grunted Luna.

She noticed Celestia lacking proper cover. It was cold tonight; better she did not catch anything with her eating habits; Celestia had a more sensitive stomach. Luna carefully adjusted Celestia’s position and tugged her. She opened her eyes in a slight squint.

‘Just helping you,’ reassured Luna.

‘…Thank you…’ whispered Celestia.

‘Don’t mention it.’

‘Lu-luna…’ she pushed out.

‘Yes?’

‘Am I good at what I do?’

Luna’s smile returned. ‘Are you doubting yourself?’ she asked in a soft voice.

Celestia closed her eyes again.

Luna, knowing deep down Celestia would not answer her, would then utter the words that had trapped them for eternity. ‘Like me – we are Alicorns. We are their rulers. We were fated to that role and that is what was, is, and will ever be. Fate is what has taken us to the road that leads to rulership. We are beholden to fate. Nothing more.’

‘And we are sisters,’ she faintly added, too quiet to be made out but loud enough for Luna’s ears to perceive.

What could have been Luna’s earnest answer turned into a mocking truth as the brief ripples of smile made themselves manifest. ‘And we are sisters.’

Celestia seemed to had not heard beyond the words as she returned to sleep with no concern behind Luna’s tone.

‘Good night, Celestia.’



A retinue of ten guards that had followed her to Celestia’s chamber greeted Luna as she finally exited the room. She thanked them with a simple nod. She then followed the long corridor illuminated by the full Moon shining its silver light through the ceilings’ windows to wherever her hooves would take her.

As per their training and remit, the guards followed – unicorns in the middle next to the Princess, pegasi standing in a concentric circle, and a single earthbound selected according to peculiar talents was their officer. An ancient layout she had put in place herself and one still followed unaltered through the centuries. All wore the white and gold of Celestia’s close retinue. Well, their close retinue – Luna had mostly ignored hers. They were still present, wearing their midnight-black armor proudly, but she did not care for their display. She did not trust them to be good enough; they were kept on the rims of her personal domain in a semblance of important positions. In secret, however, Luna had built for herself a loyal entourage, vested with similar armor but with helms designed to hide their features completely.

The Batponies were more disciplined than the others and obeyed orders with a passion others lacked. Even within the ranks of her official wardens, they were more present predominant, but she saw them as too soft.

The hidden force were her personal project; so, she cajoled them and adorned their protective plates with all the intricate designs her mind could etch. She divided them into six groups, each with unique decorations to indicate their belonging. Of course, not all were stationed in her castle. Regularly, one would be rotated with the three constantly present. And contrary to their official counterparts, no limit was set on their numbers.

‘You can return to your positions,’ she addressed them all with the authority of her role.

‘We are-’ began the officer.

‘I will not be remaining here. Take the night off – I insist.’

They bowed. ‘Thank you, Princess,’ said the officer.

‘Good night.’

‘Good night, Princess Luna. May you stay safe on your travels.’

‘I will. I know how to defend myself.’

‘We’ve read the histories.’

Luna nodded, smiling wearily.

The guards turned in unison and she moved to a balcony that overlooked the valley underneath.

Arriving there, she stopped and took her time to look at the Moon. Her eyes betrayed nothing. Her gaze then turned toward the constellations. Every culture had given them their unique set of names – born from local legends or ones birthed from whatever stories taken or adopted from foreign cultures. For Equestria, it was all of them but, in truth, laid mostly from the very, very scant information the once Crystal Empire indulged the world with. Luna never, even in the early days, was able to remember their names and never tried to. Instead, she amused herself by giving each name of her making. They were repetitive but great entertainment for her. One that was typically given the shape of a bright shooting star with a tail tucked underneath, she gave it the name Araris – the name had no particular meaning but sounded right to her.

‘Princess Luna!’ cried two voices she did not recognize interrupted her alone time. The guard had stopped them from moving closer; she ordered for them to release the two.

‘What is the matter,’ Luna addressed the two nobles before they could have reached her as they bowed all the way to her.

‘We are in a conundrum, the duchess and I,’ he began.

‘Rise, both of you.’

She paused for them to do so, hoping to not ask the following question.

They reached her and waited for Luna to speak first.

Protocol. Right. ‘And who are you?’ she smirked but it quickly deflated as Luna continued. ‘And of which duchy and other domains are you the head of?’

‘I am Baron Aurelian Silver of Ponderosa.’

‘I am Duchess Star Dusk of Manehattan.’

‘Greetings, then. What is the matter of your dispute?’

‘Majesty,’ Aurelian said, ‘our dispute has been solved. As far as we are concerned, though. However, we’ve found another solution to it, and we are not sure if your Sister would appreciate hearing it brought up.’

Luna sat down on the cold flour. ‘Let me be candid: so you have found a way to protect your interests? Family is on the line, right? Or yourselves, presumably? Or precisely, yourselves. At any rate, you want me to make sure you keep doing what you do, to go against her. I have no interests doing so, though know I am not too lenient. I am sure bureaucrats have been ordered to be disposed of – close ones or valuable ones, it matters not. You want me to keep those you care about out of harm – and yourselves similarly. If your decision does not benefit Equestria in a net positive, than you can consider every word you will utter as void and pointless.’

Eerie – that was the first word that came into Star Dusk’s mind. But there was a charm in the flow of her words that kept Dusk focused and wanting to hear all that she had to say.

‘It is for the benefit of Equestria,’ answered Aurelian, equally – if more so – fascinated by her directness. He then explained at length and with unnecessary detail the whole scope of the plan they had wrought. Star Dusk wasn’t able to put one word through, content to let Aurelian speak in that impromptu passion. She took passing glances toward Luna. She looked bored by it. Ready to let go of the whole thing at moment’s notice. Is that the reason a de facto regency had been established? Was this the wall Astra had to deal with?

‘Will you assist us, Highness?’ he concluded.

‘I will write a missive letting her know my standing. I let you know I have heard some interesting news from your harbor, duchess. And I have people ready to act, baron.’

Star Dusk swallowed her spittle. Silver kept looking in captivation.

‘I will not be too lenient, Baron Aurelian Silver – I know what you do, but rarely cared to force you into a change since otherwise, everything’s still fine.’

‘Thank you, my Princess!’ He knelt in front of her. ‘I will strive to improve my domain for you!’ He kept his head low.

She did not force him up but hated his sudden show of zeal; Luna looked back at Star. ‘Duchess… about the port… let us talk in private. Do not worry, it will be short. Your sleep, I mean,’ Luna laughed quietly.

Star joined her after a second, understanding the joke Luna said.

Luna then told Aurelian to step aside, taking Star aside on the balcony from potential prying ears.

Barely half an hour later, Star Dusk exited from the balcony as Luna disappeared into the night, her shape vanishing under the light of the full Moon.

Star joined Aurelian; he had kept his gaze fixated on Luna’s flight even after she became invisible to the eye.

‘You’d never seen her before now?’ asked Star.

‘No. It is a rare occurrence. That is why it is fascinating.’

‘I know that,’ she whispered. ‘But you’ve changed demeanor so fast – even just knowing she was here made you ecstatic. And after two months of seeing your fetid face, I am surprised.’

‘Before she died, my mother saw Her once. And since then, almost twenty cycles later, I’ve always wished to meet with Her personally.’

‘You act like the Griffons,’ accused Star Dusk. ‘Like they do to their Gods,’ she accused.

‘Really?’ he softly replied. ‘What is a being like Her Majesty otherwise?’

She shuffled her teeth, not knowing what to add to it. The thought had never occurred to her. All those dealings with Celestia striped every morsel of the more divine aspect she had for the Princess. She still respected her, but more the respect and loyalty of a vassal towards its feudal liege.

Star Dusk looked up to the Moon and like the baron gazed passively towards it.

‘We can’t do that with the Sun,’ he added. ‘It is comforting.’

‘I guess so,’ she thoughtfully said, not diverting her attention. ‘I guess so.’