• Published 18th Dec 2022
  • 511 Views, 4 Comments

Falling For The Night - Drunk Luna



The story of how Princess Luna met and fell in love with her husband, Phoebus

  • ...
3
 4
 511

Chapter Four

Moonlight poured through the stained glass windows of the throne room. The moon always seemed to follow its mistress, and it seemed to make it its mission to bathe her in its glow. Phoebus tried not to stare as Luna's ethereal mane and tail sparkled in the gentle light. Wow, she really is breathtaking, he thought. The moonlight reflected off her horn, creating a colorful prism that seemed to dance around her. It must be an amazing feeling for her to know that she can bend that light to her will, Phoebus thought. He was roused from his thoughts when Luna spoke.

"Captain, come here," she said, her voice echoing and soaring to the throne room's high, cathedral-like ceiling. Phoebus obeyed and knelt in front of Luna's throne, a royal blue chair with her cutie mark carved into the top of it.

"Do you solemnly swear to serve and protect The Princess of the Night from all physical, emotional, and mental harm, taking into account the responsibilities thereof? Do you swear your allegiance to me?" Luna asked.

"I do, Your Majesty," Phoebus said. .

"Rise, Captain Noctornus," she said. "Welcome to the Royal Lunar Guards."

***

The night was ending fast, and Luna and her guards processed up to the castle's tower for Luna to lower the moon. After Celestia had raised the sun, Phoebus and the other Royal Lunar Guards followed Luna to her bedchamber. Phoebus sampled Luna's breakfast--pastries with an assortment of fruits and cheeses--and was about to end his shift and take a well-deserved nap, when Luna stopped him.

"Captain," she said, "I need you to stay with me while I eat, then you may take your break."

"Yes, Ma'am," Phoebus replied, slightly puzzled as to why she would want him to stay.

"Lunar Jewel," Luna called to her maid, "I am ready for my breakfast. Prepare a plate for Captain Noctornus as well, please." Nova started to protest, but Luna raised her hoof and cut him off. "You will not argue with your Princess," she ordered him. "You will eat with me this morning, and we shall become better acquainted. Now, where are you from, Phoebus?"

"I'm originally from the Crystal Empire, Ma'am," he said.

"Ah, then you know of my niece, Princess Cadance," Luna said, smiling.

"Yes, Ma'am," said Phoebus. "She is a wonderful, kind ruler. You and Princess Celestia must be very proud of her."

"We are," Luna said. “My sister and I just learned that she and Captain Armor are expecting their first foal. We are delighted with the news. Anyway, tell me about your family. What do they do for work?”

"My dad works in a steel mill, and my mom is a seamstress," Phoebus said. "My older sister, Honeybun, works as a beekeeper for the Royal Beehives."

"My sister and I love honey," Luna said with a smile, gesturing to the small honeypot that sat next to her teapot. "Every morning, I drink a hot cup of tea with lavender, lemon and honey. How are the bees looking this year?"

"Well, last time I heard from Honeybun, she said they were all exceptionally healthy, and that honey production is coming along nicely, Ma'am."

"The next time you speak with her, please send her my praises," Luna enthused, sipping her tea.

"I will, Ma'am," Phoebus promised, then a lump formed in his throat as he decided to tell her the truth. "Princess," he began, "I do have a younger brother as well, Quickfang, but he is deceased. He was killed by a hawk when he was a baby. My parents and I tried to protect him, but the hawk severely injured us; the doctors said it was a miracle that we survived the attack." Luna's eyes softened, and she reached across the table, placing her hoof on his. The intimacy of her gesture almost made Phoebus jump in surprise, but he willed himself to stay still.

"Oh, Phoebus, I'm so sorry," she said gently. "I can't imagine the pain of such a loss. If you ever need anypony to talk to, you can come to me anytime."

"'Th-thank you, Princess," Phoebus said slowly, surprised by her offer. Still, he tried to change the subject; he refused to become emotional in front of his boss. "Princess, if you sleep during the day, how do you watch over the dreams of nocturnal ponies such as myself?"

"I have a sort of built-in alarm system in my mind, which alerts me in my sleep when bat ponies are having nightmares or complicated dreams," Luna explained. "The system sends even stronger signals if one of my guards is having a nightmare. Since bat ponies are the only nocturnal ponies in Equestria, it's the only system I need. Half of my brain stays asleep as the other half protects their dreams, so I am still able to wake up every evening fully refreshed; it's one of the many benefits of being an alicorn." She poured herself a cup of tea and levitated two sugar cubes over her teacup and dropped them in, then she levitated a teaspoon, dipping it into the cup and stirring while adding a spoonful of honey, a squeeze of lemon juice, and some crushed lavender. Then, she fixed Phoebus a cup of the mixture.

"Drink this," she said. "It will help you sleep. You need to rest; you've earned it." She smiled kindly at him, then yawned sleepily. "I think I will retire to my bedchamber now. You may take your leave, and I will see you tonight." As if on cue, a new Lunar Guard marched in to accompany Luna to her bedchamber and watch over her as she slept. Phoebus saluted the guard who took his place.

"Sleep well, Princess," he said, once more enthralled by his mistress' beauty as she stood in the pink glow of Celestia's dawn, her horn glinting in the brilliance of the sunrise that graced the sky outside the huge windows. Her mane and tail sparkled extra brightly in the sun's rays as she turned to walk down the foyer that led to her bedchamber.

"You, too, Captain," she replied, glancing back over her shoulder to smile at him.

***

Phoebus landed hard on the ground, his wing bleeding from the hawk's talons. He flapped furiously, taking to the sky once more. The hawk grabbed him by his left wing again, and he twisted violently, desperately trying to free himself. The sound of crushing bone filled his ears, and a burst of agonizing pain seared through his wing as he fell to the ground once more. His parents and brother split up to distract the large bird. Quickfang took off toward the ground, and the hawk dove after him. Then Quickfang changed course, soaring upward.

Suddenly, the hawk seemed to hit an invisible wall at full speed. He screeched and reeled backward in terror. Luna appeared before him, her horn glowing. She streaked after the hawk, releasing a blinding bolt of white light from her horn. The bolt struck him and the huge bird fell to the ground, dead. Quickfang rushed to his parents, who grabbed him and held him close. Luna landed next to Phoebus and lowered her horn to his wing. A warm, tingling sensation filled his body, then his broken wing was completely, magically healed.

"P-Princess Luna," he stammered, rising to his feet, "what are you doing here?"

"I am the princess of dreams, Captain," she said gently. "It is my duty to protect everypony's dreams. Yours was the most intense nightmare I have seen in quite a while. 'Twas a flashback, was it not?"

"Yes, Princess," said Phoebus.

"Well," she said, "I may not be able to change your past, but I can change the nightmares of your past that continue to haunt you. I know that you blame yourself for your brother's death, Captain. I am here to assure you that it was not your fault."

"Yes, it was!" Phoebus wailed, trembling and curling up into a ball. "He died trying to save my life!" He sobbed uncontrollably, his tears pricking his eyes like a thousand needles.

"You doubt your Princess?” Luna asked, raising an eyebrow. Without allowing Phoebus to respond, she said, "It was no one's fault but the hawk's. Acquit yourself of your charges, my loyal servant; after all, you are the one who brought them against yourself. You did absolutely nothing wrong." Phoebus cried harder, and Luna lay down at his side, curling her warm body around his and draping one of her wings over him. It was such a protective, intimate gesture that Phoebus didn't know how to react.

"I will guard your dreams from here today," she whispered soothingly. "You are safe, Phoebus." It was the first time she had used his first name in such an intimate, personal manner. She wasn't acting as his boss nor his Princess, but only as a caring friend, and Phoebus was touched by her kindness.

***

Phoebus woke with a start. His entire body was drenched in sweat. His mane was wet and stringy, and it clung to his forehead and neck. As he groaned and turned over, he caught sight of something on his pillow: A dark blue feather, obviously Luna's. Phoebus gasped softly as he turned the glossy feather over in his hooves. Does she give a feather to everypony who joins her guard, or did she only do this for me? he wondered, puzzled. He couldn't understand why Luna was giving him so much attention. Was she just trying to be nice, or was there an ulterior motive behind her actions?

"Nah," he told himself out loud. "It's just a little gift from my boss." She was nothing more than his boss. When she intervened in my nightmare, she was only doing her job, he assured himself. A guard could never befriend his princess; it would be extremely unprofessional to do so. He was there to protect and serve Luna, not to be her confidante. Besides, Luna had Celestia, as well as many other friends; she didn't need anypony else.