• Published 2nd Nov 2022
  • 362 Views, 4 Comments

Crystal Guardian Chronicles - GrumpyMonk97



The Mane Seven of Equestria Girls operate as a team of superheroes in Canterlot City, and many new threats reveal themselves.

  • ...
 4
 362

Chapter 1: Eyes Up, Guardians

Author's Note:

Welcome to the first chapter of a brand new story set in the world of Equestria Girls, Crystal Guardian Chronicles! I’ll be updating this story here and there alongside Dragon’s Odyssey. With all that said, enjoy the story!

Dear Princess Twilight, life’s been pretty great around here. It’s been about two years since we all graduated from Canterlot High School, and we’re all still close to this day. We still play together as the Rainbooms, and of course we still pony up when we play. In terms of other life events, Flash Sentry and I actually got back together. It’s been that way ever since junior year, and now the two of us are actually living together. Rarity got that promotion at the boutique she’s been wanting, and Pinkie’s been on the grind to try and open her own bakery. Let’s just hope her powers don’t cause the cakes to explode. Applejack still helps out with her family’s farm, and Rainbow Dash has been on an athletic blitz, breaking a ton of major records. Fluttershy works full time at the animal shelter now, and your counterpart works as a scientist at some big lab in the city. She’s also still dating that Timber Spruce guy I told you about before. On a more serious note, I’ve been studying the magic that’s been leaking into this world. We still have no idea what effects it’ll have on people if it spreads to a wider scale. And then there’s the issue of criminals trying to see what they can get away with. Luckily, we’ve got that covered, cause we-

“Writing to Princess Twilight again?”

Sunset looked up from her journal and saw Flash Sentry standing in the doorway, having just gotten done with his morning shower.

“Yeah. I still write to her every now and then to catch her up on what’s going on, though I haven’t heard from her in a while. Guess being the ruler of Equestria keeps you pretty busy.” Sunset responded.

“I’ll bet.” Flash said as he threw on a shirt he pulled from the closet. Sunset slapped the journal shut and followed Flash into the kitchen. “I’ll get breakfast started.”

“Thanks.” Sunset replied with a smile as she took a seat at the kitchen table, and after a few minutes of waiting, breakfast was served. There was a few moments of silence as they simply enjoyed the meal and each other’s company before Sunset broke the silence.

“Anything planned for today?” She asked.

“Me and the guys have a gig tonight at that new pub that just opened downtown.” Flash answered. Sunset remembered how his band Flash Drive had been getting more and more big gigs lately.

“That’s right. There’s some big record label guys that are supposed to be there right?”

“Yeah. This could be a really big opportunity for us.” Flash answered. He briefly got lost in thought before returning his attention to his girlfriend. “What about you?”

“I’m supposed to help Bon Bon move her stuff into her and Lyra’s new place today, then I’m heading into the lab to help Twilight with this new project she’s got going.” Sunset explained. All of a sudden, her phone buzzed and she saw that it was a text in the group chat she had with her friends from Rainbow Dash.

You guys might wanna check the news.

Sunset ran over and flipped on the television in the living room. She saw a breaking news report about a group of criminals committing a high scale robbery of the central bank in Canterlot City and are engaged in a gunfight with the police.

“Oh man. That doesn’t look good.” Flash said as he ran a hand through his hair. Sunset’s phone buzzed again with another text in the group from Rainbow Dash.

Go time?

Definitely. Be there soon. Sunset typed back.

“Sorry Flash. I gotta go take care of this.”

“Yeah alright. Just be careful. Those guys look like they’re not messing around.” Flash responded as he continued watching the news report. Sunset nearly made it out the door before stopping and realizing something.

“Oh right! Almost forgot.” She then turned around and sprinted back into the bedroom, scooping up her journal and jotting down the last part of her message to Princess Twilight.

We operate as a team of superheroes; the Crystal Guardians!

Sunset smiled in satisfaction before tapping the gemstone hanging around her neck. Her outfit changed into a sleek outfit painted with her traditional colors of red and gold. She had a pair of fingerless gloves over her hands with studs over the knuckles, red and gold metallic bracers that covered her forearms, pauldrons on her shoulders with blue crystals resembling the studs on leather jackets protruding out slightly, and black leggings that were overlapped by red and gold metallic boots that reached up to her knees. Her torso piece was a sleeveless black zip up leather vest, and a pair of dark blue jean shorts with a belt with a buckle that resembled a sun. Finally, a pair of sleek red glasses materialized around her eyes, showing an AR HUD that she could filter for various details. As she ran out the door, Flash tossed her a set of keys.

“Be careful.” He told her as they shared a quick kiss.

“Always am.” She said with a sly smirk as she ran over and hopped on her motorcycle. Flash chuckled to himself as he saw her skid out of the driveway and down the road. As Sunset drove at a near breakneck speed, she tapped into her comms link to get in contact with her friends.

“Everybody online?” She asked.

“Loud and clear sugarcube.” Came Applejack’s trademark southern drawl.

“Ready for action!” Rainbow Dash’s brash tone came through.

“Um, I’m here.” Fluttershy responded meekly.

“This is so exciting! We’re superheroes!” Pinkie’s excited tone came through. Sunset chuckled to herself at Pinkie’s enthusiasm. She had to admit, it was infectious.

“Ready as always darling.” Rarity spoke in her elegant, refined tone.

“I’m here.” Came the voice of Twilight Sparkle. “And I have a bit more info on our bank robbers.”

“What’s the deal?” Sunset asked.

“Supposedly, it’s Laughing Stock’s crew hitting the central bank right now. They’re going for the main vault.” Twilight relayed the info to the team.

“Laughing Stock!? Haha, this’ll be easier than I thought.” Rainbow Dash cackled over the comms.

“Hold on. Laughing Stock’s never done anything this bold. I’m willing to bet our entire cider stock that something’s not right here.” Applejack responded. Sunset gave it some thought; Laughing Stock had always been a small timer. He’d never have tried to pull something like this in the past.

“Applejack’s right. Stay on your toes everybody.” Sunset said.

“Right!” Everyone responded. Sunset weaved in and out of the city traffic in order to reach her destination faster, even driving up the folded down ramps of trucks to fly over lines of traffic. She eventually reached the site of the central bank of Canterlot City, where police were engaged in a shootout against what she assumed were some of Laughing Stock’s men, and it looked like they were losing ground.

“Hang back guys. I got this.” Sunset told the officers as she leaped over the car and kicked one of the gunmen in the face. She then reached behind her and grabbed the other thug’s gun to stop him from shooting her and elbowed him in the gut before driving a knee into his face.

“I’m here. Where are you guys?” Sunset asked into the comms. All of a sudden, she felt a blur zip right past her and into the bank. “Well I found Rainbow Dash.” She stated in a deadpan tone.

“I told her not to go runnin off ahead.” Applejack’s voice came from above. Sunset looked up and saw Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Rarity floating down on one of Rarity’s diamond constructs. At the same time, another car pulled up and Twilight jumped out to join the others.

“Sorry I’m late. Had to come straight from the lab.” She explained as she tried to catch her breath, clearly having had to drive like a madman to get here.

“Let’s go. We can’t afford to waste any more time.” Sunset informed the group. They all made their way inside the bank and narrowly avoided stray gunfire as more thugs awaited them. Rainbow Dash zipped around the room, getting a few of the thugs on the upper balcony. Twilight used her telekinesis to fling one of them into the wall and pull another of them towards her, which was clotheslined by Applejack.

“Keep them busy! I’ll head for the main vault!” Sunset told them. She made a mad dash for the elevator in the back of the room, utilizing the new rocket attachments to her boots for an extra boost of speed. Unfortunately, she underestimated just how much speed it would give her and she burst through the elevator doors and nearly plummeted down the elevator shaft until she found herself being caught by something. She looked up and saw that there were a few birds carrying her gently down the elevator shaft.

“I’m glad they were able to catch you in time. That would have been very bad.” Fluttershy’s voice came through the comms.

“Thanks for the save Fluttershy. Guess I’m still getting the hang of these rocket boots.” Sunset replied sheepishly. She descended further down until she eventually reached her destination. She saw that there were a few thugs working to try and get the main vault open and hadn’t noticed her enter yet. Sunset leaned up against the wall with her arms crossed before clearing her throat to get their attention.

“You know, if you wanted to make a withdrawal, you could have just asked the front desk.” All of the thugs jumped to attention at the sound of Sunset’s voice. At that moment, she heard a distinct cackle coming from off to the side, and a man with slicked back hair wearing a distinct burgundy pinstripe suit and black gloves emerged from the shadows, clapping his hands slowly.

“Sunset Shimmer. When it rains, it pours amiright?”

“It’s not like you to pull such a large scale job Laughing Stock. What are you up to?” Sunset asked as Laughing Stock sauntered out.

“Oh I just figured if we’re gonna keep running into each other like this, I oughta step up my game a bit. And the fact that my client promised me a cut of the take isn’t too bad either.” Laughing Stock responded as he stretched and popped his joints. “A shame it’s just you though.”

“Be careful what you wish for.” Sunset said with a smirk as Rainbow Dash skidded to a halt next to her after sprinting down the elevator shaft, with the others dropping down just behind her. All seven of them stood side by side as Laughing Stock took note of the situation.

“It’s getting a little crowded in here. Send in Crusher.” He said into a comm unit of his own.

“If y’all know what’s good for you, you’ll stand down now.” Applejack said to the thugs trying to get the vault open.

“Still think you’ve got a chance Laughing Stock? Or are you in that much of a rush to lose?” Rainbow Dash taunted with a grin on her face.

“You know, fighting all seven of you at the same time might be a bit of a hassle. Fortunately, I brought along a little something to even the odds.” Laughing Stock said. The group suddenly heard the sounds of crashing coming from directly above them. “Speak of the devil, there he is now.”

At that moment, a large hulking figure crashed through the ceiling and slammed the ground, causing the group to scatter to avoid getting crushed. Sunset looked up and saw that the figure was very large and muscular, wearing a pair of simple pants and thick black boots. Strapped around his torso was some kind of device that had vials of a strange liquid that injected directly into his back and neck. He wore a rebreather over his nose and mouth that hissed as it let out a large amount of steam.

“Ladies, say hello to Crusher. He’s gonna keep you company as me and my boys make a fast getaway with the cash in that vault.”

“Boss, it’s open!” One of the thugs called to Laughing Stock.

“And that’s my cue. Crusher, play nice.” Laughing Stock gave Crusher a quick pat on the shoulder as he made off towards the vault, helping his men loot the cash inside. One of the vials on Crusher’s back injected the liquid directly into him, causing a strange energy to pulse through his body and his eyes to give off a strange glow. He then charged forward with inhuman speed towards the group, who all scattered as his fist went directly through the wall behind them.

“Be careful everybody! Something’s not right with him!” Twilight informed the group as Crusher swirled around to throw another punch. She used her telekinesis to lift up a chunk of the wall to block his blow, though the impact still sent her flying. Applejack went in for a strong punch but Crusher caught it with his hand, surprising her as he was able to match her super strength. He delivered a strong kick and sent Applejack flying backwards, where she was caught by Rainbow Dash using her super speed. Pinkie shook out a handful of sugar in each hand and primed them as explosives, tossing them in Crusher’s face. As he was blinded, he was restrained by Rarity’s diamond constructs and pinned on the ground by a large bear that Fluttershy had called to the scene. Twilight added her telekinesis on top of it to keep him pinned.

“I’ll try checking his mind. Just keep him down as long as you can!” Sunset told the others. As she reached out a hand to grab his arm and sift through his memories, a second vial injected more of that liquid into Crusher and he began to struggle against all that was holding him down. When Sunset touched him, all she saw was flashes of red that were incomprehensible to a normal mind, filled only with anger and rage. Crusher then broke free of everything, to everyone’s shock and horror. He let out a bellowing roar as he attempted to crush Sunset with his giant fists. Sunset used her rocket boots to boost away from his blow as it left sizable cracks in the ground. She tried to jump over his head as he charged her, even using her rocket boots to give her an extra boost, but as she did he quickly swerved around and grabbed her by the ankle, slamming her back into the ground. He then swung her around and chucked her into the far wall, the walls rumbling at the impact. She coughed as she tried to catch her breath, and as she saw him preparing to charge again, Pinkie flung more exploding sugar into his eyes and Applejack slammed into his side with her shoulder and knocked him over. He picked himself up and a third vial injected even more of that liquid into him, but as they thought he would gain yet another boost of strength, he paused and clutched his head as he started to spasm. This continued for another moment or so until one final burst of steam erupted from Crusher’s rebreather and he collapsed onto his back and didn’t move anymore. The team all relaxed as it seemed like the threat had been neutralized, looking around to see the room had been completely wrecked in their fight.

“I really hope we don’t have to fight a guy like that again anytime soon.” Pinkie stated as she slumped onto the floor in an exaggerated, cartoony fashion, clearly exhausted.

“I agree darling. Whatever could have created a ruffian such as that?” Rarity asked.

“I’m not sure. But I think this might hold a clue.” Twilight said as she picked up one of the vials that was strapped to Crusher’s back. Sunset looked and saw that Laughing Stock and his men were long gone.

“I don’t know about y’all, but I’m thinkin we should skedaddle so the police can do their jobs.” Applejack told the group.

“Way ahead of you. We still wanna meet up for practice later?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Sure thing. Just got a couple things to take care of first.” Sunset responded.

“I’ll get this back to the lab and see if I can figure out what exactly it is.” Twilight said. The group made their way out of the bank while talking amongst themselves about what just happened, making sure to stay out of the way of the police as they rushed in to make the proper arrests of Laughing Stock’s men who hadn’t gotten away. Sunset checked her phone and saw a couple texts, the first one being from Bon Bon.

You still coming to help with the move?

Yeah sorry. Got caught up with an emergency. Just gotta run home first then I’ll be over. Sunset typed back. She sent it off then checked the other text, this one from Flash.

How’d it go?

About as well as it could have. She typed back.

Not too hurt or anything?

Nah. You should see the other guy.

You never cease to amaze me.

You could always come with sometime.

Think I’ll leave the superheroing to you. Wouldn’t wanna steal the spotlight. Sunset giggled at her boyfriend’s quip.

I’ll be home soon. Tell you all about it then.

Sounds good. Love you.

Love you too. Sunset typed back. She put her phone away and revved up her motorcycle, making her way back home with the thought of what Laughing Stock said about his “client”, and what exactly could have created something like Crusher.