• Published 31st Oct 2022
  • 240 Views, 3 Comments

The Wheel of Ships - Luminous Comet



A series of shorts based on randomised pairings, mostly for writing practice.

  • ...
0
 3
 240

A Lesson In Signals (Cheerilee x Rainbow Dash)

"Thank you so much for coming to help today, Rainbow Dash. I wasn't sure who else to turn to," Cheerilee said happily. It was a lie. She could have asked a whole lot of ponies, some of which would have likely been happy to help her with looking after the school foals. But she wanted to ask Rainbow Dash.

"No worries! I'm great with foals! You'll see, I'll make this the best school trip they've ever had." She puffed out her chest a little, with that proud smirk she always carried.

"Oh, I'm sure. Just, please make sure they stay on the trail and none of them get lost."

"No worries, Miss Cheerilee." They were the same words, but Rainbow Dash said them somewhat more seriously this time. It was a small thing, but enough to let her know that she took the responsibility seriously. She then beat her wings and soared over the assembled group, touching down smoothly in front of all the foals.

"Okay, kids, I'm assigning you groups! Scoots, you're my first deputy! Rumble, you're the second! And you, uh, class speaker..."

"Silver Spoon."

"Right! Silver, you're the third! You're in charge of making sure your group stays together! Everypony split up equally behind the deputies!"


The group strategy actually worked very well and the deputies were all excited about their role and handled the responsibility well. Cheerilee could mostly focus on the lessons she was hoping to impart during the nature walk, while Rainbow Dash stayed behind and above the group, making sure none of the students got lost. Of course it wasn't without distractions. Here and there, the kids would rather talk to Rainbow Dash instead of pay attention, but she didn't feel too harshly about it. It was supposed to be a fun trip for them after all.

And Cheerilee stole her own glances at her assistant as well. The confident tumbles through the air when she quickly switched sides, or headed to another group, the hoarse laugh that cut through the buzzing of voices sometimes, the assuring looks every time they locked eyes for a moment.

It had been selfish of her to favour her like this, but she had made a good choice after all. For the kids and for herself.


The last of the foals hurried out of the school building, all of them saying goodbye to Miss Cheerilee and to Rainbow Dash as they passed by them. She sighed wistfully as she watched them go and finally went to her desk to order her materials. "Thank you again for taking the time today, Dash," she said casually, trying out the nickname.

"Yeah, no problem. I... didn't do anything wrong, did I?"

Cheerilee couldn't help but smile. Now she was showing vulnerability, now that none of the little ones who idolised her were around to see. "No, you did great. I would have never thought about the groups and the... deputies." She chuckled as she walked up next to her and they began to leave.

"Works for the flying cadets, so why not with the foals." Rainbow perked up at the praise and puffed up her chest again. Cheerilee giggled and walked a little closer, her flank brushing against the pegasus' wing.

"I want to thank you properly. How about you join me for dinner tonight?" she asked, her voice lowered a little.

"Oh, sure. I don't have other plans."

That was a... yes. It certainly wasn't rejection. But the success was dampened a little by how casually she had accepted.

"Then let's go to the pizzeria. You could pick me up? I can't exactly reach your place," she joked, while pushing it a bit further, lightly bumping her flank and flicking her tail over Rainbow's. She was close enough that the other mare reflexively opened her wing, hovering it over Cheerilee's back so it wouldn't be caught between them.

A long moment passed, as they just stood side by side on the empty school yard, before Rainbow Dash spoke up.

"Are you... flirting with me?" she asked, unsure.

Cheerilee groaned softly. "I have been all day, but thank you for noticing."

"Wait... all day?" Rainbow Dash furrowed her brow, her eyes darting about as she seemed to search her memories. "So... you didn't ask me for help because I'm the best?"

"Dash, no offence... if I wanted the best help, I would have asked Applejack. Or the princess."

"Oh." Her ears drooped a little, but then her eyes lit up again with realisation. "So you asked me, because... you're into me?"

"I know, I can't believe it either," Cheerilee said drily, but couldn't help her smile. "So... around seven?"

Author's Note:

The randomiser spit this ship out three times. It really wanted me to write this.