• Published 31st Oct 2022
  • 234 Views, 3 Comments

The Wheel of Ships - Luminous Comet



A series of shorts based on randomised pairings, mostly for writing practice.

  • ...
 3
 234

Works Every Time (Twilight x Spitfire)

There was a knock on the office door. Too soft to come from one of Spitfire's teammates. She set down the papers she was studying and put her hooves together. "Come in."

As suspected, it wasn't anypony from her team. Instead, it was Princess Twilight. Spitfire had expected her to come in sooner or later, so she simply straightened her back, switching to her outward-facing image, instead of the stern persona she used with the cadets.

"Sorry to interrupt your work, Captain."

"Not at all, Princess. I'm sorry I couldn't be much of a host. I do appreciate you taking the time to come and observe."

Twilight sat down across from her, fidgeting a little. Spitfire slightly cocked her eyebrow, keeping her eyes locked on her behind her sunglasses, searching her expression, her body language.

"It was my pleasure. I never took much of an interest before, but ever since Rainbow Dash joined your team, I've been watching more performances, and I suppose I got a little hooked." She was smiling, politely. As expected of royalty - even if her ascension was recent.

"Well, it's a good way to spurn on the cadets, to tell them a princess is watching. I trust you... enjoyed the show, then?" She kept her eyes fixed on the princess' wings, which extended and fluffed up slightly, beyond her control.

"Y-yes, absolutely! I finally understand what Rainbow Dash has been raving about ever since I got to know her." Her cheeks flushed a little and she didn't seem to notice the way her wings were betraying her. Such unawareness of her own body language was usually only found in pegasus foals.

It was adorable.

"I'm very pleased to hear that. Unfortunately, I can't entertain you for long today. I still have to review everypony's performance and make new training plans." Spitfire got up from behind her desk and trotted around it to lead the princess to the door personally.

"Oh, of course. I just wanted to let you know personally that I would happily come back to watch you again," Twilight said quickly, also getting up to leave.

"Of course, your Highness." Now was the time. She extended her wing a little, the outermost feather stroking very lightly over Twilight's flank. She caught her gaze and let her sunglasses slip down her muzzle a little to look into her eyes over the rim. "I'll fly for you anytime," she said in a lower tone.

The rest of Twilight's good-bye was messy. Stuttering, flushed cheeks, a nervous chuckle. Spitfire smirked proudly to herself as she returned to work. Princess or not, she knew a fan crush when she saw one. And that move worked every time.