• Published 29th Oct 2022
  • 1,455 Views, 112 Comments

Mirror Mirror - LittleFaerieFire



Hidden under the shadow that is cast by Equestria's shining beacon, plans and pacts have been made a thousand years in the making. Sunset Shimmer, Princess Celestia's student. Cadance, Princess of Love. Both are caught in the deluge of darkness.

  • ...
5
 112
 1,455

Chapters Next
1. First Flames

First Flames

Sunset Shimmer

Much like the magic that flowed through me, my temper burned. I of course had learned long ago to not let my emotions show. A lesson learned through disapproving looks and snide remarks cast down from the throne Princess Celestia reigned. Growing up the prized pupil of the goddess of the sun provides many benefits, near limitless access to the royal libraries, a private room with combined study, and most importantly the solar monarch’s private tutelage. I knew that everything that I had came from her. Were she not as kind and caring as she had been, she could have easily deposited me into one of her schools. Moved on to the next disaster that would soon require her attention and caring touch. But no she saw the potential in me when no one else did. For that alone, I will be forever grateful to her. I could temper my anger for now.

I focus on those scenes as I once more attempt to smother the flames that raged in my blood. I know I am not successful as I can quickly feel the temperature rise around me. My horn glows for but a moment as I spin a cooling charm that I had long since mastered. It would be of no use to set ablaze the precisely cultivated gardens once more. I had memorized Princess Celestia’s rather long-winded speech about keeping my flames controlled. It would not do to further antagonize her with my foolishness. Those thoughts do not calm my eyes as I memorize once more the face of the newest addition to the castle. I note her horn, before once more looking at her wings.

I force a smile as I wrench my head away, for I know that if I were to continue to watch that I would soon care not if I was to incinerate the royal gardens once more. I clench my teeth as I put one hoof forward toward my room. My other hooves follow quickly as I calmly and collectedly return to my still untainted haven. Knowing that the intruder has yet, and would never, taint the walls of this room while I still had breath was a calming thought. Much calmer than the ones about how I would sear her wings from her, before claiming them myself. Taking a calming breath I continue my trot to my room.

When I reached my room I unlocked the door, opened it, entered my room, closed the door behind me, and burned. My flames leaped from within and my room was smothered with flames. It was not the first time that this had happened and with the Princesses newest addition most definitely not the last. In the inferno that raged both within my blood and my room, I quickly lost myself in the flames once more. Smiling as I stepped forth into the unbound flames that threatened all but me. Closing my eyes I could almost imagine the warmth of the flames being another pony. The sun's warmth was all welcoming, the hushed voice telling me assurances. The sun herself saved me from my folly.

I can remember it all so clearly. The way that Celestia allowed me to snuggle into her coat. How she would lift her wings and then lay them on top of me once I stopped moving. When I would be burned by my flames, how she would be with me until I was healed. I lost myself in those early memories when everything was perfect. Where we would spend days together as teacher and student, losing ourselves in the studies of magic. How whenever I got a particularly difficult spell down she would smile. That smile was mine alone. Even knowing how those days would quickly end couldn’t bring me from them, back then I meant something to the sun herself. Back then I wasn't the failure.

Opening my eyes to the inferno that I set free, I felt a wetness that quickly evaporated from my muzzle in the heat that felt all too cold. Snarling I brought the flames once more under my will, they obeyed as they were snuffed out with a final thought. I had no time for this foolishness. My time here was coming to an end, the interloper alone confirmed that. I knew that Princess Celestia had gone in a hurry to a backcountry town to deal with a problem. She had canceled our few remaining lessons with but a few words hastily written on a note that a guard pony had given me. Hours after she left, leaving me in the empty practice room as I waited for her.

I had no reason to think that her week's absence from the castle was to end with another Alicorn in return with her. I had expected to greet her alone, with but her guards, as her dutiful student should. I will admit in the sanctity of my mind that my initial introduction to the parasite that had attached itself to Princess Celestia’s flank was less than stellar. I feel my blood begin to boil at the memory until I once more ran the formula for the cooling charm. Putting a bit too much magic into it, I shiver, but it gets the job done as I glance around my room to ensure that I don’t have to replace anything. I have made an effort to fireproof my things ever since I could fireproof myself. Noting that I will have to get another set of quills as I had left them on my desk.

Sighing I collect the charred remains trying not to think about the interloper's wings burned cinders like my quills. After getting rid of them in a safe matter, incinerating the remains to dust, I pulled out my newest gain from the restricted section of the library. “Deliverance of Doom” by Standard Baird. I had yet to fully understand the intricacies of dark magics such as curses and such. To remedy that failing of mine, I sought out the proper reference material. I will admit I was annoyed by the author's practice of alliteration throughout his book. However, the knowledge I had been lacking was contained within his work. It was an annoyance worth suffering.

Standard Baird, like many other so-called “Dark” magic users, had sought to record his life story within his work. Interlacing the research he had performed with his past struggles and triumphs. He had included in his writings a theorem that he was planning to work on “That even when ponies are out of their innate magic. They still have but one source left if they are willing to pay the price. After all, what is more magical than the caster’s life?” Which was an interesting question posed, as Princess Celestia had gone on about the limitless magic of friendship. If one could compare these two hypothetical magics against one another which would be stronger? Now how would you test the effectiveness of both? From my understanding of the so-called magic of friendship, you need multiple ponies for it to be used. To test which would be stronger I would first need to get multiple ponies using their life force as fuel for their mysticism.

Hopefully, Standard Baird had performed thorough testing of his hypothesized life magic. With that thought, I returned to his book and once more lost myself in the study of magic. Mostly skimming the ramblings of the mad pony that attempted to justify his actions. Horrific actions, yet if they could give me the information I was seeking it would be worth the read. I would not be caught off guard by any magic no matter how dark or hidden.

Hours passed in stilled silence, as I closed the book trying to clear my head of Standard’s latest cruel experiments. You would think that mad-pony or not that after the first seven ponies exploded that you would attempt to change the configuration of the spell. Or at the very least not repeatedly going over how annoying it was to clean up the mess of his most recent failed experiment in gritty details. Nonetheless, for all of his preference for torture and inflicting pain, he was a very accomplished researcher. I could only wonder if he had not turned to the darker fields of magic wonders he could have brought to light in other more practiced fields.

It was a pointless line of thought anyways as I glanced out my window to watch the sunset once more. Even with the tensions currently between me and Princess Celestia, this was something that I had cherished from foal-hood. Watching by her side as she raised and lowered the sun. I no longer watched from her side, yet I still watched. I wonder if-. No, it doesn’t matter. Not anymore. I cleared my head and watched the sun set beneath the horizon. The shadows grow in strength and number now that the sun once again slumbers. With the sun no longer crested in the heavens I prepared for bed myself. Setting my reading material back in its hidden compartment, I covered myself in the sheets that lay on my bed. Whispering a silent good night as I quickly fell into the land of nightmares.

I was always told by Princess Celestia that those within Canterlot are protected from nightmares. That she patrolled the sleeping world to act as its guardian, and she also made mention not being its rightful defender, but aside from that point, I could only wonder how she dealt with the constant nightmares. I also wondered about the truth of her statement that if it was truly all those in Canterlot that she cared for, that she acted as their aegis when the horrors of the mind began to prowl. I wonder if she still protects the ponies who have committed horrid acts, still have her shielding their dreams, and I wonder what I had done to lose that shield myself. Which act I had performed to deserve this particular punishment?

Was it for embarrassing Blueblood? Perhaps for failing once more her test to gain friends? I knew not. Whatever it was I had long since given up trying to figure out my failing. What was one more to add to the pile? I had to grit my teeth and show Princess Celestia that I was willing to accept the punishment. That I would not come whimpering back to her as I did as a foal. That I was ready for whatever the test could throw at me. That no matter how many times I failed, I would get back up and try again.

That no matter the field of magic I would master it. Absorb all the value that it has to offer and then expand on it. Even before I had gained my cutie mark I was setting my hooves onto books of advanced spell-casting. I burned through tutors until it was only Celestia who had something left to teach me. A goddess teaching a mortal pony, stories had been told of less. I was living one of those grand tales myself. When I received my cutie mark I easily took my spot underneath Princess Celestia in terms of raw magical power. Since then I have only accelerated my gains in both my knowledge and magical power.

Yet for all my arcane strength, for all my memorization of spell theorems. I was once more a helpless filly in the hands of these cruel dreams. Where no matter what spell I prepared, no matter how many horrors I burned through. That I was once more helpless, praying once more to be saved. Even knowing how this tale ended, fear was all-present. What if this was the reality I was truly residing in? That this was my life. To be lef-.

It was on that particular spiral that I managed to rouse myself, as I threw my eyes open to be greeted by the all too familiar curling of flames.

“You are better than this. What would she think” I intoned once again as I smothered the flames and quickly cleared my watery vision with the help of my sheets. I briefly thought about once more closing my eyes but decided that I had suffered enough for now at least. I made my way to my window once more and began to wait for the sun to rise. It took but an hour as I watched once more the source of Princess Celestia’s power began its journey through the heavens anew. I gave a brief smile before getting prepared for the day ahead.

Grabbing the appropriate books and putting them into my saddlebag, which bore the same mark as my flank, I slipped out of my room. Locking it with but a thought. I made my way to the kitchens to grab my usual meal. Grabbing the salad that the chefs had set out for me, I quickly went to the library to begin my day. Were I to have a lesson with Princess Celestia I would be heading to the practice room to once more wait for her. Thanks to the parasite however I knew that would not be needed for some time. Making the best of the situation I continued on the lessons that Princess Celestia had been working on with me.

It was a rather annoying spell array that had exploded in my face before. I could only thank Ce-. Princess Celestia that I had long ago been fireproofed. It didn’t help with the force of the explosions but it certainly helped with the singeing, and I had long since mastered most shielding spells. Grimacing slightly, I put my muzzle to the grind and began to continue this array. It was only after a few short hours that I heard an unfamiliar cough behind me. Now I knew Princess Celestia’s polite cough, and the librarians hadn't interrupted me since I was a filly. Pausing from my work I turned my head and felt my mane begin to warm.

“Excuse me Sunset, would you want to have tea together?” said the all too cheerful envoy of doom, with a smile plastered across its face. I considered quick teleportation away from the demon wearing the flesh suit of an Alicorn, but unfortunately, she would simply tell Princess Celestia.

“I wouldn't want to intrude on your tea time, as I am sure that you have important matters to deal with,” I said with a shallow smile. I continued in my mind ‘Also if I wasn’t 100% sure that burning you to cinders would sadden Princess Celestia, you would have been dust long ago. “I also have to get this array done, so I was planning to work through the entire day either way.” I let the lie fall from my mouth like water, but she didn’t need to know that. All she needed to do was leave me alone.

“Are you sure? Princess Celestia thought it would be nice for you to join us?” The parasite continued blissfully unaware of the dagger of ice that pierced my heart with those words. If Princess Celestia was there I couldn’t say no. Especially with how I had acted last week. As the events of the second worst day of my life played through my mind once more. The demon continued her prattling “I mean, I would also like to have lunch with you. I haven't seen you around the castle at all.” I silently wondered if Princess Celestia would forgive me for torching the library again as a distraction.

“Is that so?” I say with clenched teeth as I began to collect my things, taking an effort to ensure that I didn’t singe any of the books that I placed into my satchel. “I should be able to put off this for a little bit of time.” More likely until Princess Celestia designed to have a lesson with me once more and with the resident parasite taking up her time I doubted I would have a lesson with her again for some time.

“Is it usually this warm in the library?” The demon continued after giving another of the smiles that were sure to make the citizens squeal in delight. Unfortunately for it, I was no mere-. Wait. Warm? I paused and paled as I realized what my magic was about to do. I quickly cooled myself down with the spell, refusing to meet her eyes as I shrugged. “Well if you don’t mind I will lead the way.” I nodded as I trotted behind her. I wonder if this puts me at number three? After working so hard to claim the silver medal, I was given bronze.

The parasite continued to talk while we were making our way through the castle to wherever this tea party would be taking place. I of course responded appropriately to its incessant buzzing with my focus turned inwards. Instead, using the time to figure out why I would be invited. Princess Celestia wouldn’t invite me to tea for no reason. It had been years since the last one. I could remember the entire meeting. From the annoyance in Princess Celestia’s eyes to the particular set of tea cups that we used. That was shattered in the ensuing fight. They were a silver-plated set with green flowers centered in the center of both the dishes and the cups.

Before I fully lapsed into the memory I decided to ask the question that I had been pondering in the background of my mind while I walked behind the parasite.

“Have you been intentionally going in circles?” I said interrupting the tangent about how the parasite had been exploring the castle. Watching the parasite stall, before twirling around with a flourish of her multi-colored mane.

“Nope,” the parasite said with a half smile before continuing “The castle is so large I haven't been able to make heads or tails of where I am supposed to be half the time. Other than working with Princess Celestia on getting integrated I have been wandering around the castle lost. Often relying on the guards to escort or point me right.” The parasite's smile grew as she concluded her statement. Were I any less aware of the motives, the smile would have seemed genuine. I knew better.

I frowned slightly, before correcting myself. The parasite didn’t notice as it continued undeterred “Princess Celestia made mention that even she gets lost in the castle sometimes. This castle is bigger than the town I grew up in. She offered to assign me an escort, but I turned the offer down. If I can’t make my way through the castle, how can I be a Princess when I can’t find my way to the tea room?” The smile faltered. Dropping into a shallow frown.

“You could have gotten some assistance. No one is expecting you to be perfect.” Everyone was expecting perfection. Waiting for the moment that you could be torn down. The once perfect is now shattered. Forever tainted with failure. With one failure, the pony's life is forever tainted.

“I know that, but I need to stand on my own four hooves.” The plastered confidence would be easily shattered. If only Princess Celestia didn’t care for it so. So easily would a few whispered words, would soon shake the newest addition to the castle. I could see the quick yet explosive spiral she would take. All it would take was a singular spark, to start the fire that would chase her out of my life. Out of Princess Celestia’s life.

I could just cut out the middle pony and take care of the problem right now. The coat of most ponies was unsurprisingly flammable. Alicorn or not, it was unlikely that she could stop my flames. Even if my flames failed any other of my spells could finish the jobs. Initially a pegasus it would be unlikely that the proper mystical counters would be prepared. Likely at best a low-tiered shielding spell that I could pierce through with power alone.

No. I shouldn’t assume that I could overpower an Alicorn, newly ascended or not. That would be a foalish assumption that would lead to my downfall. It would be best to blast her with a torrent of flames, using her recovery time to lay traps in the air. Various elemental traps would allow me to prepare something esoteric. Perhaps I would take her down with something from Standards work. He had proven that-.

“Sunset?” My eyes shot to the parasites, taking a half step back, half of the dozen spells prepared to launch at a moment's notice. The air quickly heated as my magic saturated it, all the easier to set the world ablaze. “Sunset are you alright? You haven't been responding?” The parasite has tilted its head, its colorful mane falling to the side.

“Sorry I was lost in thought. What did I miss?” I quickly responded spinning the cooling charm simultaneously.

“I asked if you wouldn't mind leading the way to the tea room. You then just stood there head in the clouds.” The smile is back in full force.

“Of course,” I said with but a nod as I trotted around the Alicorn and began to lead the way to the tea room, where Princess Celestia was waiting for us. I could only wonder as I escorted my replacement to the tea room. Was this how my tale ended? I could see the poetic justice before my eyes. I wonder if Princess Celestia would allow me to take my research. No, it was funded by the crown. It would stay with the crown.

It was on that rather unpleasant thought that I broke the pleasant silence that the parasite had yet to break. “We are here,” I say while turning around and trotting behind the parasite. It would prove prudent to allow Princess Celestia to see the parasite first. The parasite gave me a look that I couldn’t associate with any emotion I had already seen on the parasite's face. Shrugging, I with but the light touch of my magics might push the door open inwards. Revealing the celestial goddess in all her might, lounging upon one of two seats that accompanied the tea table.

“Ah, Cadance I am glad to see you didn’t get too lost.” I could see Princess Celestia say without even looking up from her papers. I wonder if she knew I was here, she did supposedly want me here. There were only two chairs. One for each of the Alicorns. No place for any pony else. No need for any pony else at the table. I simply made sure that I didn’t let my magic slip, as I watched the parasite move forward greeting the solar monarch.

“Princess Celestia I am so sorry for being late, but I didn’t get lost this time. Sunset helped me get here… if not on time.” The parasite seemingly didn’t understand that I had already been dismissed. That it was pointlessly wasting its breath on me. It would soon realize that, like all the others. However, for some reason, Princess Celestia looked up at us. I could see her eyes sharpen as her eyes traced from the parasite to my own. I met the Princess's gaze and gave nothing away. We had played this game for years and I wasn't about to start losing it so easily.

“Ah, Sunset my apologies I didn’t believe you would accept this little invitation of mine.” The Princess of the sun stated. I felt the all too familiar warmth of her power, as she willed it forward. The sun was born once more for but a moment. Now at the table that once seated two. There was now a third chair sitting at the table. “I am glad that you did decide to join us, however. It has been some time since we last had a tea party.” Princess Celestial said with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

‘I didn’t realize that I was supposed to say no to the parasite’s proposal. My sincerest of apologies Princess Celestia’ I snarled in my head while in reality, I responded in a polite and even tone.

“It has been some time indeed.” Princess Celestia nodded once at me before turning to face the parasite.

“Cadance, what I have told you about calling me Princess in private.” Princess Celestia questioned the parasite with a small smile that flickered into existence, only after she was done with me did she smile.

“Right. Auntie.” The parasite would never realize how lucky she was. Perhaps one day her luck would run out, or more likely my temper would slip from under my reign. One did not exclude the other. Just like our initial meeting, the parasites and mine ending would be one for the ages. I almost smiled at the thought.

“That aside, Cadance, Sunset, please sit. I do hope you don’t mind but this particular blend is one of my favorites” Princess Celestia said as she levitated three teacups each with a bag of tea within. I could easily guess that this particular tea based on the monarch's past preferences and the size of the bags was either a rare cactus blend from the San Palomino Desert, or a licorice blend that she would claim to be from a rather old collection that was gifted to her from a visiting griffon nobleman some odd centuries ago.

The teacups were set down in front of us each with not a singular clink. Even now I am impressed with how much I still have to learn. The more power a pony has the harder they have with fine-tuned control and not many ponies can control the sun. Truly I would still be the pupil even when I began to wither away. Always something more I could improve upon. Some things never change.

Watching the parasite’s amazed face, boiling water appeared within each of the cups. I could only compare the parasite for all its manipulativeness, as a newborn filly witnessing its first feet of magic. I knew that this was not the first time that the parasite had witnessed magic. I knew that first hoof that the parasite had experienced much grander mystical might but a week ago. What was the utter fascination from then? Was there something that I was missing? Had I once more failed a veiled test?

“If the two of you wouldn't mind talking while we wait for the water to be infused?” Celestia asked more for the parasite's favor than mine. While I could easily imbibe the water even at its current temperature, it had been some time since I had last had tea. Much less with Princess Celestia. Upon seeing that neither the parasite nor myself had spoken up the monarch continued “I will admit that I have ulterior motives for calling you both here. I would prefer the two ponies closest to me would become close themselves.”

Huh, perhaps I was still asleep. My eyes switched from Princess Celestia towards the parasite. Nope, not a shade of a pony. I was fortunately awake. I wonder why she decided to inform us of her ulterior motives rather than just hiding them in her kind words. Perhaps the parasite couldn’t catch such subtleties? No, the parasite was a manipulator of the great accord. So it was targeted at me.

Alright then. That wasn’t exactly unexpected. Much blunter than what I was expecting. Nonetheless, I had received a task from Princess Celestia. All I had to do was get “close” to the parasite. I could only wish that C-. Princess Celestia willing that she meant in terms of physicality rather than emoi-... She wanted us to become friends. I wanted to smash my head into the pristine cup on the table in front of me. This wasn't a new test. This was another chance for me to fail at an old one.

“I know the two of you didn’t have the greatest of starts. I do believe that two ponies as special as you two are would be able to put that behind them.” Princess Celestia said with a smile that could have replaced the sun. If only that smile was for me. “I had initially thought that perhaps Sunset could help you with your magical abilities. As there is no one I would trust with your mystical development more than myself than the Sunset. There is no sorcerer finer in power nor control than Sunset.”

OK. Not exactly as bad as I was expecting. This was a different test than the dreaded friendship one. Ignoring the slight against my magical ability would be relatively easy. Tutoring the parasite with the boons of Alicornhood grants access to all forms of magic. I would be unable to teach her the innate magic of the two other pony races. No, I wouldn't give up that easily. Tonight I would be raiding the library to find as much knowledge on their innate magic. Depending on when the first lessons would be I could begin first with the magic of Unicorns. The basics alone should take a few months even for an Alicorn. That should allow me to shore up my deficiencies and make a full lesson plan.

“Are you sure you couldn’t teach me auntie?” said the parasite. I felt my stomach churn. I knew that in comparison to Princess Celestia I was but dirt, but truly? Even in my hubris, I suffered through my tutors before I was allowed to personally study under the solar monarch. The parasite was an Alicorn however, that did give her much more sway than any sort of Unicorn, especially against myself. Pushing the increasing temperature internally I looked to the positives. The major one would be that I wouldn't have to deal with the parasite. That thought alone nearly cooled the flame entirely.

“I am sorry my little pony, but between running Equestria and dealing with the noon court, I am pulled more ways than in previous times.” Lied the solar goddess to her fellow immortal. Not that the parasite seemed to notice as it accepted the excuse at face value. I could feel my lips turning as she failed her first test. “I have complete faith in Sunset’s skills to teach you everything you would need to know. In some fields, she is even beyond me.”

What in Tartarus did that even mean? The only comfort that I took from that exchange was the fact that the parasite looked as how I felt. Taking a glance over my teacup and noted that the heat of the water had decreased to a normal ponies consumption level. The gentle taste of licorice did nothing to wash out the metal that had tainted my mouth. Even with it washing the blood from my bit tongue.

Author's Note:

Sunset is probably my favorite character. I have always loved the tale of the great fall from grace. After all the greater the glory the farther the fall. The prized pupil of the goddess of the sun turned power-hungry demon? Well, that's a tale that has already been told.
-LittleFaerieFire

Chapters Next