• Published 17th Oct 2022
  • 249 Views, 6 Comments

Of Providence and Plain - GrangeDisplay

  • ...
0
 6
 249

Parents

After dragging her daughter home from congregation, Rose Quartz slammed the door and slumped against it while watching her daughter wearily.

“Thou…Thou shall not marry Igneous Pie,” she stated firmly. It was unlike Rose to not give her daughter a choice.

Unnerved by her parents’ display of uncharacteristic traits, Cloudy forged on cautiously. “And why not, mother?”

“Young Igneous is a… fine stallion…but I fear that he is not a sufficient partner, beloved.”

“Why not? Thou hath never spoken ill of him.”

“Aye. I hath watched him grow from a babe to a stallion. Which is why I know him well enough to know he is not a good match for thou.”

“Thou hath yet to answer the question. Why? Why is he not a match for me? I care not for his fortune or lack thereof. We will find a way to live our lives freely and happily.”

“I am certain that thou will be happy Cloudy, but not with Igneous. Although I believe that Igneous may not be able to provide, I am confident that thy father and I could fill in the gaps. But that is not what I am afraid of.”

Cloudy fell on her haunches as she threw her hooves up in exasperation. “Then what is it? What is so awful about Igneous Pie that he is treated with such disdain?”

Rose shook her head and massaged the bridge of her muzzle. “Poor Igneous hath done nothing wrong on purpose. His status is simply a consequence of his father’s forbidden behavior.”

“Forbidden behavior? What doth tho-”

“Igneous is the product of the Equish,” Burdock supplied as he strolled into the room, “Igneous’ father is a full-blooded Plain pony. Meanwhile, Igneous’ mother is an Equish invader who enchanted poor Feldspar and led him astray.”

He looked disgusted as he spoke, “She seduced him and produced a child, Igneous, then abandoned them both after years of embarrassing them with her impudence. It was an unfortunate situation. Young Igneous’ very existence is collateral damage.”

Rose was more sympathetic than her husband. “She left them, her husband and baby, to pursue her passions. It was a tragic occurrence that devastated their little family. But I hate to say that everypony saw it coming. Even Feldspar must hath seen the cracks in his facade. They didst not even consult the Pairing Stone when they finally wed.”

“Now I hope thou understand why those Pies art no good. They maketh bad decisions, and it is not out of range to sayeth that a father of poor mind inevitably raises a son of poor mind,” Burdock lectured apathetically.

Cloudy frowned at them. “Nay! Holdeth thy tongue when thou speaketh of Igneous Pie, father. Might thou know that I didst request his hoof in marriage on this night.”

Burdock’s face contorted from self-righteousness to shock in mere seconds. “Thou intend to wed the by-blow!” he shouted.

“Indeed father. I hath asked for a reason why Igneous is not a suitable match, and thou provided a bunch of information about the time that preceded his very existence! What doest his character hadst to do with his parent’s ‘misdeeds?"

Burdock turned to his wife and growled, “How couldst thou let this befall our daughter?”

“Me? I warned thou against bringing her anywhere near the Pie’s homestead. She only doest this to scorn thee. I am an unwitting victim of both of thy excessive pride!” Rose Quartz cried and she rushed to cover her face.

The commotion at the front door had awoken the Mill family from their slumber, giving the three arguing ponies an unnoticed audience. Rod Mill cleared his throat to interrupt the late-night drama.

“Perhaps it wouldst be best to sort through this matter at a more opportune hour? I am certain that all of thou might findeth it easier to discuss among thyselves with cleareth and well-rested minds.”

Burdock ground his teeth as he stomped out of the room, but before he left, he grabbed Rod’s shoulder and grumbled, “What about this discussion is unclear to thou, Rod? I hath sent mine own daughter away to be schooled, and she hath returned to me stupider than ever.”

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The attic of the Pie Family homestead was hot, small, and stuffy, but that did not stop Igneous from scooting and contorting his way between the boxes and dust.

Igneous could never explain why he came to this place when he had a lot to think about. But, he partook in his usual ritual year after year. He squeezed in, laid down, tried to breathe, overthought, then dug through the assorted boxes.

He reached into a box and picked out a small wooden chest. His father had warned him about doing many things. And, for most of those things, Igneous had listened. But disobeying his father and opening this chest was worth the trouble.

He opened it tentatively and studied the familiar ceramic and glass objects hidden away in the attic. The items were delicately crafted and molded by expert hooves.

They were his father’s creations.

A truth that became more absurd to Igneous with each year because Feldspar Pie was anything but delicate. The idea of that fusty stallion tediously carving and forming bowls, cups, and miniature figurines was laughable. But, there was a version of Feldspar that was willing to show such attention and care.

Back when Igneous’ mother was still around, his father would gift these objects to her. They expressed his endless love and devotion. The same love that continued to torment him years after she abandoned them.

Feldspar would fly into a rage at any reference to her, yet he kept all her mementos locked away for safekeeping instead of destroying them. Feldspar still loved Igneous' mother more than anything, and it ruined his life. Maybe she loved him too, but she loved exploring more. More than her marriage, more than her stability, more than her son.

It frightened Igneous to his very core. To give somepony else that power. He prayed that he would never suffer the same fate, which made Cloudy’s proposal so enticing.

At the least, they would have to tolerate each other, and at the most, they could become good friends. She did not have the same background in rock farming that he had, but she was well-educated and passionate about rocks. He could help her fine-tune her abilities while she could help him with the business side of rock farming.

Igneous' lack of formal education made it hard to discuss business. Most Plain fillies and colts attended communal schools during the non-harvest months and received additional schooling at home if their parents were willing to teach them. Igneous had received neither form of education since his father needed him to work full-time.

It did not help that Feldspar also lacked a sufficient education. It was strange, but one of the few memories that Igneous had of his mother was when she taught him and his father how to read. They would all sit in the living room after supper and read verses from his father’s tome together. Sometimes, Igneous wondered if Feldspar's obsession with that old book was more rooted in those memories than it was in a desire to be redeemed.

Igneous held a miniature glass cockatrice in his hooves. It must have taken hours to get its tiny head just right, which is why the act of almost dropping it was the second scariest thing to happen to him on that day. The scariest thing to happen was having the serenity of the household shattered by his father shouting his name.

The young stallion moved in a flash as he stowed the box of ceramics away and raced to his father’s location. He entered the living room fearing the worst, that his father might have collapsed or may be convulsing or suffering in any way.

Instead, he found his father relatively well and in the esteemed company of Dr. Burdock Boil.

He almost felt relieved until he noticed the intense dissatisfaction on both stallions’ faces. Igneous’ troubled mind went with its first instinct.

“Uh…Good M-morrow si-”

“Be silent!” Burdock pointed at Igneous with an accusatory hoof, “How dare thou speaketh to me as if thou doth not intend to ruin mine own legacy!”

Igneous eyes fell to the floor as he struggled to come up with something to say. Luckily, or unluckily, his father stepped in.

“Now, now. Thou shalt not speaketh to that boy liketh that in his homestead. Pick thy words carefully and speaketh liketh a stallion, not a boppli.”

Burdock huffed and took a quieter tone, “Very well then, Feldspar. Thy son hath partaken in secretive discussions with mine own daughter on the topic of marriage. I doth not desire to offend thy son or thy family, but thou must understand why this is unacceptable.”

“Aye, I understand,” Feldspar muttered as he pulled himself out of his cozy chair.

Igneous moved to help him, but the older stallion rebuffed him with the swipe of the hoof. He spat on the floor before shouting at his son, “Igneous! This shall not stand! Thou shalt not commune with the likes of Burdock Boil or his kind!”

Feldspar pointed a shaky hoof at Burdock. “That stallion is a heretic and a fraud! He doth not followeth the Principles of Providence nor doest he abideth by the customs of the Plain!”

“Well, I-I! How dare thou! A heretic? A fraud? On what basis doth thy maketh these claims?”

Now, all of Feldspar’s attention was focused on Burdock’s reddening face. “I seeth what thou truly art Burdock Boil. Thy wife is as devout as they cometh, but her piety doest not cover thy absence at congregation.”

“I am an exceptionally busy professional! I am certain Providence will forgive mine own abandonment.”

“Nay, nay. Thou still speaketh as if thy hath any faith in any power other than thyself. I seeth thy pompous displays of grandeur. Looketh Igneous at his shiny hat and tie! He doth not believeth in the powers of Providence, he believes that he is Providence!”

Burdock, unintentionally, looked at the satin tie around his neck that matched his hat. “T-thou hath no room to speaketh,” he stammered.

“I must looketh out for mine own son’s well-being. Thy daughter is certainly as arrogant and wayward as thee.”

“Hold thy tongue, foul lecher! Thou shalt not speaketh of mine own Cloudy in any way,” Burdock warned.

“Why not? Thy dochder lives among the Equish, and she carries herself as they do. Igneous shall not be led astray by her wiles. I implore thee to keepeth thy succubus away from the good youths of this town,” Feldspar spat out, unleashing droplets of black from his muzzle.

Burdock Boil lost all composure as he came dangerously close to Feldspar. “Thou art a fool and an oaf! Thou sit upon death's door, yet thou continue to plague this world with thy wretched existence. Thou confidently identify mine own daughter as a succubus, yet thee failed to do so with thy wife! I demand that thy idiot son stay far away from Cloudy! Or he shall face the wrath of Burdock Boil!”

Igneous could recall the last time he had seen his father move so swiftly. The old, sickly stallion reclaimed his strength and used it to hoist Burdock Boil out of their home. The doctor was launched out of the front door and was left laying on the ground in astonishment.

Feldspar spat black sputum at the doctor's hooves from the doorway and harshly spoke, "Gaze into the eyes of Feldspar Pie. Thou art banished from this homestead. Leaveth now and never returneth.”

Burdock pushed onto his hooves and matched Feldspar’s intensity. “As if I wouldst ever returneth to this accursed place. Providence forbid that thy son ever produces any progeny. And if he doest, may they face the same ill fortune as thee.”

Burdock brushed himself off and scurried away before Feldspar could brutalize him anymore. The father and son watched him retreat into the distance.

Feldspar finally spoke once the doctor was out of earshot, “Thee shall stayeth away from that girl.”

“Father, I-”

Igneous’ was silenced by Feldspar's hoof firmly impacting his chest. “If it is not by the will of Providence, then it is not to be. I hath seen this all before. I shall not alloweth this hardship to befall thee.”

Feldspar removed his hoof to cover his muzzle. He wheezed and shook where he stood, but rejected any aid from his son.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

“So, thy father fancies mine own father a heretic?” Cloudy asked, smiling despite herself.

“Aye. Among other things,” Igneous mumbled.

She was the last pony he wanted to see, yet she appeared and coerced him away from the market with relative ease. They found a secluded spot and rested beside his wagon, where they described the respective fallouts post-Cloudy’s proposed proposal.

Cloudy pressed the back of her head against Igneous’ wagon. “He is not wrong…thy father. His reasoning is a dram off, but I assume he examined Burdock through the only frame of character that he hadst. The good doctor is arrogant and vain.”

Igneous shook his head. “That doest not maketh it right. Thy father hast done a many good deed in this community.”

“Do not feeleth remorse for him. For neither of them,” Cloudy huffed, “they speaketh ill of thee. They do not warrant thy defense.”

“I know.”

Cloudy did not know why she was beginning to feel so irritated. “Then why doth thou continue to treat them amicably?”

Igneous thought about it before simply saying, “I am unsure.”

Cloudy groaned and removed her glasses. Igneous did not deserve to be treated as an outsider in his own home. He was a good pony, too good. It was hard to grasp why he did not just demand better treatment from the townsfolk.

“We can not change how other ponies feel Cloudy,” Igneous said after a long silence, “I can not controleth how they feeleth or what they do, I can only manage myself. I might crumble to pieces if I ever tried.”

“I assume that this is what thee were alluding to when thee warned against associating with thee?” Cloudy pondered, recalling their initial proposal discussion.

“Aye. To live among the Pies is to live with this shadow. They will no longer treat thee as the daughter of Rose Quartz and Burdock Boil, that joy will be thine no longer.”

“Joy? Half of mine own life hast been spent outside of their embrace. It is a mere facade.”

Igneous had to admit that she was persistent. He removed his hat and brushed his mane back while Cloudy hummed quietly to herself. He could not recognize the tune but found the melody quite pretty. A part of him knew that he had a busy schedule for the day and that it would be in his best interest to leave, but he stayed.

“Igneous?”

“Aye?”

“I think I have a plan.”

Perhaps he should have left sooner.

“What art thou thinking, Cloudy?”

“Thy father’s tirade hath given me an idea.” She looked at him, ensuring that he was listening, “If we were to wed, the ponies around here wouldst never support us, not as long as they obey Burdock. They hold him in high esteem, but not in the highest.”

There was a glimmer of mania in Cloudy’s eye that made Igneous extremely nervous. “Ponies can demean our bond based on their own principles, but if Providence decrees our union true, then nopony can defy us. Not even Burdock can raise a fuss, lest he run the risk of doing something heretical.”

“Thee intend to have our union sanctified by Providence itself?” Igneous asked skeptically.

“Not exactly, dear Igneous, but we can aim for second best. I hear that this is a perfect time of year to visit the Pairing Stone.”