• Published 20th Oct 2023
  • 920 Views, 64 Comments

A New Generation: Friendship is Magic - Sky_Wishes



On the eve of the Summer Sun Celebration, Sunny Starscout realizes an ancient evil is on the verge of returning. Now it’s up to her to stop it; if only she could find the mysterious artifacts known as the Elements of Harmony.

  • ...
2
 64
 920

Enemies and Obstacles

Izzy!

Both Sunny and Pipp rushed at breakneck speed towards the direction of the scream, only to be met with a horrifying sight.

Izzy’s hind legs were ensnared in thick dark green dark vines, pulling her off the path and into the bushes. Zipp was in the air, trying to fend of similar vines reaching towards her, while Hitch frantically sawed at the vines holding Izzy with the knife from his multi-tool. “What happened?” Sunny cried.

“The plants— they’re alive!” Zipp deftly dodged another vine going for her wings.

Pipp shrieked. “Sunny, look out!”

Sunny turned around just in time to see another vine snaking towards her hooves, and jump out of the way. “Get away!”

“What do we do-o-o-o?” Pipp cried, while attempting to spray several more vines.

“Help me get Izzy loose!” Hitch called.

Sunny and Pipp rushed to the unicorn’s sides, grabbing onto a hoof. “We got you, Izzy!” Sunny said, while trying to pull her out of the bushes.”

“Yeah, just... hold... on!” Pipp said, panting with exertion.

“I’m holding on as best I can!”

At last, Hitch was able to cut through the last of vines, sending Izzy, Sunny, and Pipp flying backwards. “Ugh...” Sunny groaned before quickly standing back up. “Now what, Hitch?”

“Now, run!

Sunny, along with everypony else, took off along the path, the vines following close behind. She ran and ran and ran until her legs ached, her lungs burned, and she collapsed on the ground at last.

Looking behind her, she couldn’t see the vines chasing after her. Unfortunately, she couldn’t see her friends, either.

“Hitch?” She called to no response.

“Zipp?” Still nothing.

“Pipp? Izzy?”

She strained her ears, desperately hoping for the tiniest bit of sound, the faintest call back. But it was no use. There was nothing. Oh no, oh no, oh no! “Where are you guys?”

Once again, she started galloping across the path, calling her friends’ names. To the left, nothing. The right, nothing. Above her, nothing. Nothing but trees and other foliage in all directions, along with the occasional growling of wild creatures. Eventually she slowed to a stop once more. “Everypony?” she halfheartedly called out once last time, to avail.

But then, there was a loud boom that shook up the forest. Sunny looked around for the source, only to find nothing.

Another boom. Although she wanted to turn tail and run away from, a small part deep inside her knew that she had to go towards it.

So she did. Every minute or so, there’d be another boom, and as she got closer and closer, the trees grew further and further apart, and the thick foliage started to clear up, revealing the source of the explosions; a series of fireworks in the very familiar heart with a button inside of it.

The sight of it spurred Sunny forwards, and she galloped forwards towards a clearing. Sure enough, Izzy was standing at the edge of a rushing river, using her horn to send fireworks in the air. “Izzy!”

“Sunny!” Izzy took a break from her firework-shooting to tackle Sunny into a hug. “I can’t belizzle that you found me! To be honest, I didn’t think that my plan would actually work! It was just the first thing that popped into my head.

Sunny smiled and pulled Izzy closer. “I’m glad it did. That was some quick thinking.”

Izzy beam. “Yup! I thinks good, don’t I?”

“Sunny! Izzy!”

The two turned to see the rest of their party running towards them. “Guys!” Sunny called before letting go of Izzy to join them. “You’re all okay! Thank goodness!”

“We sure are.” Hitch said, before walking out towards the river. “But where are we now?”

“Hmm...” Zipp landed and pulled out her book once more. “Looks like Serpentine River. The Castle of the Two Sisters should be right across for”

“Whad’ya mean, Serpentine?” Izzy asked, peering into the rushing waters. “Looks pretty straight to me.”

Zipp peered at the map once more. “Apparently there are supposedly Sea Drakes living in here. I don’t see any though.”

Hitch took a cautious step into the river, before quickly stepping out. “Forget the Sea Drakes, how are we going to cross the river? It’s moving way too fast.”

“Don’t worry!” Izzy said, levitating a few sticks. “I’m sure I can unicycle something together. It’ll just take me two shakes a mare’s tail!” She shook her own tail twice with a giggle, before leaving the rest of the group to their own devices.

“Huh.” Zipp said, putting her book down. “I guess Izzy was right. You never do know when you need to get crafty.”

“Yeah, but I’m betting it might take a bit longer then ‘two shakes of a mare’s tail’, though.” He let out a sigh as he kicked the ground under his feet. “What do we do now? Just wait until she’s finished?”

Pipp sank to the ground. “Why not? I could use a break after all that running.”

Zipp, on the other hand, said nothing, and simply buryed herself in her book once more, while Sunny pulled out a few cookies to snack on.

Hitch turned to Izzy, who was humming happily while levitating rocks, sticks, vines, and... streamers?

Hitch sighed. “Yup, we’re gonna be here for a while, alright.”


A few minutes had passed, and Hitch’s thoughts were getting more and more frantic. What’s taking her so long? Who knows how bad things are getting back in Ponyville? The Princess can’t fight Nightmare Moon forever, and Izzy’s just what? Playing around with streamers and glitter?

He shook his head at that thought? What am I thinking? Izzy’s probably going at fast as she can.

Yeah, but we don’t have anytime to waste! Everypony back home is probably panicking! After all, I left them to try and find these elements, and we don’t even know if they’re here!

“Hitch?”

Hitch stopped in his tracks and looked at Pipp, who was staring at him with an worried expression. “You okay?”

“Yeah, it’s just...” he turned around and looked back to where Ponyville would be, “...I can’t help but worry about everypony back home. Do you think they’re all doing okay?”

She frown, casting her gaze to the ground “Yeah... I feel kinda bad about leaving Mom behind.” She forced a smile. “But hey, at least we’re trying to save Ponyville, right?”

Hitch didn’t return her smile. “Yeah… it’s just… What if these elements aren’t even at this castle? What if they don’t actually work? What if it’s already too late now and the Princess has already fallen? What if…”

“—Hitch, Hitch, Hitch, Hitch!” Pipp interrupted. “You need to calm down. Nothing good will come of you stressing like this!”

In spite of his nerves, Hitch chuckled. “That’s kinda funny to hear coming from you. Miss, ‘I’m five minutes late for my meet-and-greet, therefore all my fans are going to hate me forever’, herself.”

Pipp puffed out her cheeks. “Hey! Punctuality is important to ponies! It could’ve been a PR disaster!” She tried to give Hitch her best angry glare, but seeing his amused expression, she just couldn't hold it, and burst into little giggles. “Okay okay, you may have a point. But hey, that just means I get what you’re going through, right? I’m an expert on stressing out!” She puffed out her wings in faux pride, and both of them chuckled once more.

As the laughter died down though, Hitch’s face fell once more. “Yeah I know, but this...” he looked up at moon. “...This is huge. How am I not supposed to worry?” He turned towards Sunny and Zipp. “On that note, how are they not worried?”

Pipp frowned. “I don’t know. Maybe they are. I know Zipp tends to bury herself into her books when she’s nervous, so that’s probably what she’s doing now. Maybe Sunny’s doing something similar?”

“Oh...” Hitch looked down. “So everypony’s afraid then...”

Pipp gave a sad smile. “Yeah, like you said, all this is a lot.”

A few seconds passed. The two sat in sad silence. Suddenly, Pipp’s ears perked up and she looked at Hitch with a smile on her face in a glint in her eyes. “You know what always cheers me up, though?”

“Singing?”

Singin— Oh, you already said that.” She blushed. “Still, it always makes me feel better no matter how stressed I am! You wanna try?”

Hitch tilted his head. “Are you sure? This doesn’t exactly feel like the best time for a song and dance number...”

“Sure it is! Like I said, it’s not like stressing yourself out with what if’s is going to help.”

“I’m not really a singing person...”

“Aw, c’mon! I know that’s not true!” She gave him a light nudge with her hoof. “You led the choir during the last Hearth’s Warming Eve Pageant, remember?”

He blushed. “I mean, I did, but...”

“But what? You did great! In fact...” She flew up to trees, and quickly grabbed a random branch. She flew down, and handed it to Hitch like a makeshift microphone. “Why don’t you sing it right now?”

Hitch raised an eyebrow. “Sing a Hearth’s Warming song? On the Summer Sun Celebration?”

She nodded. “Why not? The song’s all about getting through a dire situation with friendship, so it’s thematically appropriate at least. Here, I’ll start!” She took a deep breath before singing:

♪As dawn shines on us every morn♪

♪The Fire of Friendship is reborn♪

♪And all the friendships we have made♪

♪We cherish in every way♪

Although nervous at first, Hitch eventually started to sing along.

♪Loyalty binds us and makes us strong♪

♪Honesty shows us that we belong♪

♪And kindness shared will unite us through each day♪

The pair’s voices began to unite together, singing in harmony.

♪The fire of friendship lives in our hearts♪

♪As long as it burns, we cannot drift apart♪

♪Though quarrels arise, their numbers are few♪

♪Laughter and singing will see us...♪

Through...” They finished, before bursting into laughter again.

“See? And you said you weren’t really a singing person!” She nudge Hitch again.

He blushed once more. “Yeah, yeah, you were right. You always are.” His expression softened. “Thanks Pipp. That really did help me get my mind of things.”

“Uh-huh!” Izzy piped up. “That song just melted my worries away!”

Pipp blushed. “Aw, thanks you two! I’m just happy to help!”

There was a pause before both heads turned to see the Purple Unicorn who was suddenly in front of them “Izzy?

“Hi friends!” She said with a wave.

“B-but—” Hitch stammered. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be working on the bridge?”

“Why would I work on something that’s already finished, silly?” She giggled.

Both ponies’ jaws dropped. “You’re already finished?”

“Yup! Ta-da~” She hopped out of the way to gestured to the newly completed bridge, which Sunny and Zipp were already making there way across. “I just hopped over here to let you ponies know! Now come on, silly fillies!” she turned around and started hopping towards the rest of the group, leaving the two with confused looks on their faces.

“What was...” Hitch started before trailing off.

Pipp recovered quicker than Hitch. “Best not to look a gift horse in the mouth. Now let’s go!” she said, before chasing after Izzy.

“Hey! Wait for me!”


“So,” Sunny asked, “Where to next, Zipp?”

“Hmm...” Zipp looked back down. “We’re almost there. There should be a bridge up ahead, and once we cross that, we should be there.”

The group gave a few cheers of celebration in response. “We’re in the home stretch everypony!” Sunny called out to the rest of the group. “All we have to do is get to the castle, get those elements, and deliver them to the Princess!”

“So what happens after that?” Izzy asked.

The question nearly gave Sunny pause. “I... I don’t know, really. I guess the Princess uses the elements and Nightmare Moon gets sent away for another thousand years.”

“Hopefully she’s clearer with her communication the next time around.” Zipp grumbled.

Izzy’s ears drooped. “Are you still mad at her, Zipp?”

Her eyes narrowed. “Of course I’m still mad! She hid something really important from everypony, and now look where we are! We’re in one of the most dangerous places in all of Equestria, for hoofness’ sake! I mean, you almost got—” she cut herself off. “I just can’t believe that our princess would put us all in danger like that.”

Izzy’s frown grew deeper. “She did make that forcefield thingy to try and protect us.” she offered, her voice a lot weaker than usual.

That’s not the issue, Izzy!” Zipp shouted, abruptly landing. “She should’ve warned us! Why do you insist on defending her!”

A pause. Izzy hung her head low. “She seemed so sad.” she whispered. “It reminded me of when I was little, back when I didn’t have any friends.”

“I—” Zipp sighed, and her eyes softened. She went up to put a hoof on Izzy’s shoulder. “I get that she’s sad. I can even imagine why she’s so sad. It just... doesn’t justify anything for me, okay?”

Izzy looked up at Zipp. “I know but—”

“—Look!” Hitch interrupted. “I think I see the bridge!”

All five ponies sprinted forward, up until they reached the cliff edge, where they realized the bridge was out. With help from Pipp and Zipp however, it was soon repaired, and the five made their way into the castle.


The first thing Sunny noticed about the castle was how dirty the place was. A layer of dust coated practically everything in the place, and she and her friends were sent into a coughing fit just opening the door.

The second thing Sunny noticed were the tapestries hanging from the wall. Some of them depicted The Princess, standing tall next to the sun. Others, however, depicted a different alicorn, one with a navy blue coat and a mane that shimmered like the night sky.

The third thing Sunny noticed, however, was the most important thing; a large platform holding five stone sphere, each with a jewel inscribed in them.

“These are...” Zipp gasped.

The elements!” Sunny cried dashing towards them. “Quick everypony, we need to get them down from there!”

Zipp and Pipp worked to carefully lower two of the elements, while Izzy levitated the last three down. Once they were safetly on the ground, Hitch peered at them, his face scrunched up in confusion.

“You sure that these are the Element of Harmony we’ve been looking for?” He said, prodding at one of the stones. “They look at lot less... gemstone-y than I expected.”

Zipp nodded. “The book says that they’re only gemstones when they’re active. This is their default form.”

“And they’re only five of them why...?”

“It says that once the Elements are gathered together, a spark will cause the sixth to appear.”

“Ooh!” Izzy said. “What kind of spark? Like a magic spark, or like, a spark from a fire? Cause I can do either of those!” She lit up her horn eagerly.

Hitch laughed nervously. “Maybe we should learn a little more before we go lighting things on fire...”

“It doesn’t matter.” Sunny said, stomping her hoof to get the group’s attention. “I’m sure the Princess knows how to use these. The most important thing now is to get them to her, right?”

“Right.” The group chorused.

“Good. Now let’s let’s get back to Ponyville!”