• Published 11th Oct 2022
  • 213 Views, 26 Comments

The Not so Average Life of a Fillydelphian Weather Pony - Rain Twister



Rain Twister Starts a New Job as a Weather Pony in Fillydelphia. When an accident in Cloudsdale unleashes a storm towards his city, what will he do?

  • ...
1
 26
 213

Getting Into the Swing of Things

Beep, beep, beep, beep, bee- *thunk*. “Uhg..” I slowly wake up, turning off my alarm, and have a nice, long stretch. You know, the kind that just makes you’re whole body shake like you’re having a mild seizure, yeah, that’s the best kind of stretch. “Time for Breakfast”, I say to myself. “Oatmeal sounds pretty good”. I eat my breakfast, take a shower and start to make my way out the door when I stopped. “I should grab by flight jacked just in case.” I leave my house ready for the first day at my new job.

I recently moved to Fillydelphia from Cloudsdale to start a new job with the Fillydelphia Weather Crew. I had always wanted to become a weather pony, ever since getting my cutie mark by accidentally creating a small tornado, heh, wasn’t THAT a shitshow. But that a story for another time.

I land on the steps in front of my new job. “Inhale, Sigh… time to start my new life.” I open the door and make my way inside. In the foyer there is a middle aged mare with a white mane, a sky blue coat, and a cutie mark of a cloud blowing in the breeze waiting for me.

“I am Captain Easy Breezy, the leader of the Fillydelphian Weather Ponies. You must be Rain Twister, right?”

“Yes ma’am” I say. “I’m very excited to be here!”

“Great to hear, we’ve been needing a new cloud buster for a few months now. Let’s go introduce you to the rest of the team.” The Captain replies.

We make our way down the hall to what appears to be a break room. Inside I see four other ponies talking with each other and drinking coffee. “Listen up team! This is Rain Twister, He’s our newest team member, I expect you all to get along and treat him like family.” The Captain announces. “I’ve got some paperwork to take care of, so I’ll leave y’all too it.”

“Thanks, ma’am, I appreciate the opportunity to work here.” I say with a look of excitement.

“Drop all this “ma’am” talk. You’re part of the family now, call me “Breezy”!”

“I will, thanks!” I reply sheepishly.

As Breezy walks out of the room one of the other ponies approaches me. She has a pretty purple mane, a light pink coat thats reminiscent of the northern lights and a cutie mark of a feather. “Hello, I am Featherfall. Captain Breezy’s Lieutenant. It’s a pleasure to meet you Rain.”

“The pleasure is all mine” I say. As Featherfall returns to the table I follow her and take a seat. On the other side of the table I see a rather small mare and a stallion sitting together. The mare has a brown mane, a sandy blond coat, and a cutie mark of two crossed bolts of lightning. The stallion next to her has the same colors except flipped with a cutie mark of a storm cloud with a lightning bolt coming from the bottom.

“Hi, I’m Lightningbolt and this is my brother Thunderclap, we’re twins.” The mare says excitedly.

“Nice to meet you” Thunderclap adds.

“Nice to meet you both, I’m looking forward to working with y’all.” I reply with a grin.

“So, what all do we do here? I know I was hired to be a cloud buster, but surely that’s not the only thing I’ll be doing?” I ask.

“You’d be surprised….” A grizzled looking stallion with a red mane, a yellow coat, and the sun for a cutie mark says from across the room.

“That’s Solar Flare…” says Lightningbolt. “…he’s our dispatcher.”

“Because of the fact that we’re a coastal city, we get a lot of wild clouds that formed over the ocean blowing in. Keeping those in check is a full time job in itself.” Solar Flare says with a groan. “That was my original job when I was hired on, but thankfully I’ve moved up in the world and don’t have to deal with that shit anymore.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you Solar Flare. If I have any questions about my job I’ll be sure to come to you.” I say respectfully.

At that point we hear a whistle and Featherfall says “Well, time to get to work, Rain Twister, you’ll be working with Thunderclap today, he’ll train you on what you’re job entails.”

“Sounds like you’ll be with me today.” says Thunderclap “Let’s get you into the swing of things.”

A few minutes later Thunderclap and I are flying over the city. “So as Solar Flare said, cloud busting is a constant thing we have to do. It’s not difficult, but due to the sheer amount, it can be tedious and exhasuting. I’m just happy that we hired you on to take some of the load off of me. For the past couple months I’ve been basically drowning in clouds to bust due to being the only cloud buster on staff. A single pony can only do so much, you know?” Thunderclap says with a somber grin.

“I’m glad I can help.” I reply. We continue our flight around the city, busting a few clouds here and there.

“Hey, Rain!” Thunderclap shouts. “You see that building with the white marble columns?” he asked while pointing a hoof towards the ground. I crane my neck to search for the building he was referring to.

“Yeah, I see it. Why?” I reply.

Thunderclap continues, “That is City Hall, where Mayor Ties has her office. We tend to work closely with her during festivals and other events here in the city. I’m sure you’ll meet her soon.”

“That’s good to know, thanks for pointing it out.” I’ve always gotten nervous when around people of that kind of authority, so hopefully the Mayor is somepony I won’t have to meet any time soon.

We spend the rest of the day busting clouds around the city while Thunderclap points out various places of interest. When the sun started to set we returned to our HQ. As we entered the break room to clock out for the day Lightningbolt comes up to me. “Hey, so Featherfall and I were thinking that maybe you’d like to come to the bar with us so we all could get to know you better. What do you say?”

I think to myself for a moment, trying to see if I had anything scheduled for the evening, my mind coming up blank. “Sure! I’d love to join everyone at the bar. After busting clouds all day and getting the grand tour of the city, I could really use a drink.” I say.

“Excellent!” She replied with a big grin. “Meet us at the Horseshoe Lounge in an hour”

I flew home and took a quick shower, threw on my flight jacket and flew out the door. After a short flight I landed outside the Horseshoe Lounge. “Wow, this place looks kinda fancy!” The whole place had an “Art Deco” aesthetic that was really pleasing to the eye.

While I was admiring the Architecture of the building I hear a voice behind me. “I’m glad you made it!” I turn around to see Lightningbolt behind me wearing a red sequin dress.

“Wow, she’s really cute” I think to myself. “Thanks! I’m looking forward to hanging out with everyone.” “That dress looks great on you, by the way!” I say with a blush. I’ve always been a sucker for a sequin dress.

“Thanks!” she says with a smile. After a short moment of standing there awkwardly, Thunderclap and Featherfall approach us. Featherfall wearing a rather modest blue dress and Thunderclap wearing a jacket quite similar to mine.

“Well, let’s get us a table” Thunderclap asserts.

“So what made you decide to come out to Fillydelphia?” Lightningbolt asks.

“Well, I was working at the Cloudsdale Weather Corporation for a few years in the Lower Rainbow Factory, but I really wanted to get a job that would have me outside with the wind in my mane. When I heard that you had an opening, I jumped at the chance! I’d never been to this city before and I wanted a change of scenery.” I reply while sipping on a glass of Wild Pegasus Bourbon.

“What about you? I ask Lightning bolt. “Are you and your brother from here? I ask.

“No, we’re originally from Trottingham.” Thunderclap replies. “We came here for the conveniences that the big city has. Plus Fillidelphia has a lot of companies that design and produce the latest tech. The radio is such a wonder of engineering!” he says wistfully.

“I’ve lived my whole life here.” Featherfall says aftyer taking a drink of her wine. “I didn’t see much reason to leave.”

“What about the Captain?” I ask.

“Captain Breazy doesn’t really talk about her past. All we know is that she used to be in the Royal Guard in Canterlot. Every time any of us ask about it, she just says that she can’t talk about it because it’s “classified” or some shit.” Featherfall says with a frown. “She’s a good pony but sometimes when her past is brought up I can sense a….. sadness from her. Its better if you don’t ask.” She adds.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” I reply.

After a few hours of talking, laughing, and drinking, Thunderclap stands up. “We better go home and get some sleep. We got a long day tomorrow of getting ready for the rain cloud delivery from Cloudsdale. Good night everyone!”

“Goodnight!” The rest of us reply.

“Oh! One last thing before we go.” Featherfall reaches into a pocket and pulls out a patch. “For you” she says while handing it to me. “You’re now an official member of the Fillydelphian Weather Ponies. Put this on your jacket.”

I take the patch from her. The patch has a blue background with a gold ring around it with a white cloud in the center with two white wings coming off either sides. “Wow! Thanks! I’ll put it on tonight when I get home.” I say with gratitude.

“I’ve no doubt that you’ll do us and the city proud. Welcome to the team.” Featherfall replies.

As we part ways I think to myself. “I think I’m gonna enjoy this job.”

Author's Note:

Hi! This is my first story, please be kind, but also I would appreciate some feedback. Thanks for Reading! I plan to post a chapter every week