• Published 7th Oct 2022
  • 694 Views, 317 Comments

The Equestria Chronicles: The Gallop Through Griffonia - Slippin_Sweetie



Twilight Sparkle's expedition must continue to the distant lands of Griffonia on their quest to solve the continent's friendship problem. Meeting old and new friends along the way, all as the group works toward establishing peace through Griffonia.

  • ...
2
 317
 694

Ink And Quill

The slums below the branches of Swallowtail proper were a complete whiplash compared to the upper-crust living quarters they had been blessed with by the Doge. Ponies of all kinds trotted about, although mainly Unicorn and earth. There were plenty of other species. Dragons flitted to and fro, some wearing thick and heavy armor, hefting large weapons over their shoulders. Others simply seemed to be going about their day like every other creature.

Twilight adjusted the cape draped around her shoulders, pulling up her hood before she prepared to descend. She didn’t want to gather a crowd; she had been fortunate that no one had noticed last time. Slipping her wings through the slits in her cloak, she glided down to the hustle and bustle below.

Cows were trading milk, goats their cheese, and even a fair few deer mingled in the crowd. Passing by a packed open market, she noticed a train of wagons led by a Saddle Arabian stallion, ready to trade their goods. She was surprised to spot a Zebra or two in the mix– years of only knowing Zecora made it feel like she was the only one of her kind sometimes.

The less shocking was the Crystal ponies. They fared far better than the others, bringing in wealth and bits from the Crystal Empire, having not yet been touched by the poverty surrounding them.

A small part of her wondered if Celestia had open trade with Swallowtail, that was definitely something she would have to bring up with the Doge and, if possible, the Parliament. Noting that down in her head and squirreling it away, Twilight landed softly on the ground. This was the most likely place he had to be; otherwise, he was probably out soliciting donations for the needy.

Twilight approached the temple, the familiar sun cutie mark glowing brightly in the sun. It brought her some sense of comfort. Sometimes she desperately wished she could call upon Celestia for guidance, pleading that she come here and deal with this herself… but Twilight knew she couldn’t. She had to prove to herself more than anyone else that she could do this.

Hesitating at the door, the alicorn took a deep breath before politely knocking on the large doors. Twilight wasn’t sure if it was alright to simply walk in unannounced.

Another pony would trot up to the door. Looking over at Twilight with a puzzled expression, “You don’t have to knock, y’know, all are welcomed to worship.” the mare was a scraggly-looking earth pony with a large scar across her left eye, the entire pupil and sclera a milky, dull-white, and blue in contrast to her right eye. She had a lime green coat and yellow mane. Wearing nothing but a tattered robe with several sewn patches. Her cutie mark was a slice of key lime pie.

She’d open the door and nudge her inside, revealing that the temple was packed with dozens of ponies, a few Griffins and Harpies, and the odd creature or two.

Twilight looked a little embarrassed, chuckling awkwardly. “Rrrrright, thanks…” Stepping inside, she marveled once again at the stained glass depictions of the princess and herself, then turned her attention to the massive crowd that had been gathered inside.

Quill and Yellowtail were standing across the temple organizing the portraits of the Alicorns as they began lighting the candles surrounding the temple, “Okay, everyone, please sit down if you can and allow us to go through communion…” ordered Quill.

Twilight quickly found an available seat in the back. Although she was cramped against a rather large hippogriff, she could barely see Elder Quill and Yellowtail on the chancel.

“It seems we have some new faces today,” smiled Yellowtail, “We welcome our new friends to The Reformed Sol Invictus Temple. Now, if you’re new, we like to start out by recounting a tale from our Goddess.”

The earth pony quickly stood at the podium as he flipped through a massive book, “Chapter two-hundred and fifty-three in the Book Of Revolution, verse one, twenty-three. ‘Behold, for thou have been given a wholly unique ability from one another. If thou art to survive, then all of you must work together if thou is to survive. For a unicorn cannot use their magic to make their wheat for the bread they consume. Nor can an Earth pony produce the harvest without the union of their Pegasi brothers and sisters giving the humble farmer his rain, and none of you may survive without the Earth pony’s harvest.’

Quill would speak, “For you see, everyone, before Celestia ruled The Old Kingdom, all of us were divided. Unable to work together because of jealousy and pettiness, and for that, we barely survived famine and death. It wasn’t until we decided to embrace one another as brothers and sisters– as equals, and under the guiding light of Celestia and Luna all of us now prosper.”

Yellowtail nodded, “Yes, and for our creatures who aren’t ponies, you too are expected to cooperate, from The Book of Revolution, chapter three-hundred, verse three twenty. ‘If thou hasn’t shown compassion and kindness to any and everycreature. Then thou have done a disservice and dishonor. It is the duty of everycreature to help those who are in need.’

Listening intently, Twilight hung on every word, frankly enthralled by the concept of a religion born from Celestia and Luna that was practiced outside Equestria. From what she could remember, a lot of what they spoke of was very similar to modern-day teachings, although, to be frank, Twilight stopped reading those books once she actually met her. It was a little awkward to ask why she didn’t prevent ponies from dying or suffering if she was all-powerful. It made for some very tough conversations for a filly who was far too young to be asking those sorts of questions.

She did recognize; however, the text was clearly inspired by Equestrian historical texts, however far more forgiving. The depictions of Celestia and Luna of the time weren’t quite as… accurate or appealing to the present day.

Twilight sat back quietly before glancing from side to side. Adjusting her cloak, she pulled out her journal from a saddlebag she had brought along. It had been a long time since she had attempted writing by mouth, and if she were in any other situation, she would have used her magic. But she didn’t want to bring any attention to herself whatsoever, pushing herself to the task of recording everything as accurately and neatly as possible.

“But it’s important to remember that despite how merciful and groundbreaking our Goddess was, even when Monsters and Wendigos terrorized the lands of Equestria, our Goddess was imperfect and susceptible to mistakes as we are!” exclaimed Quill, “She is one of us!”

Yellowtail nodded, “From the Book of Fury chapter one hundred verse five thirty, ‘If thou dares utter the name Luna whether it to venerate or praise her. Then whoever spoke shall feel my wrath. For I am the sole leader of Equestria, and I alone raise the Sun and Moon. No one else but me will have this title and role, now and forever.”

Quill nodded, “Now, what does this mean? Does it mean Celestia is evil?”

The temple would collectively shake their heads and say, “Noooooo.”

The Elders smiled, giving the Temple a firm nod. Quill spoke, “Exactly; Celestia is just as fallible and capable of making a mistake as we are! But that doesn’t take away from all the good she has done for us. If Luna can forgive her sister for banishing her to the moon for a thousand years, and her sister forgave her for usurping her, then we can forgive one another and learn to excuse our imperfections and fallible actions.”

He continued, “Only then if we lower our expectations to something a bit more realistic, if we surrender our pride, let go of our anger and hatred for one another, then we can form a union and create something truly beautiful.”

Yellowtail closed the book, “Thank you, brother, now it is time for prayer…” the earth pony quickly pulled out a scroll, “Gloria soli, beati simus in calore.”

The temple would quickly repeat the prayer, “Gloria soli, beati simus in calore.”

“Glory to the Sun, blessed are we in its warmth.” translated Quill.

“Sol enim bonus est.” recited Yellowtail.

“Sol enim bonus est.” repeated the temple.

“For the Sun is Good.” translated Quill.

“Gratias agimus Sanctitati eius.” echoed Yellowtail.

“Gratias agimus Sanctitati eius.” repeated the temple.

“Give thanks to her Holiness.” translated Quill.

“Finis.” finished Yellowtail rolling up the scroll.

“Finis.” repeated the temple for one last time.

“The end.” sighed Quill, “Okay, everybody thank you for coming for daily worship. If anycreature likes, we’re giving out clothes and food to the hungry and cold, and we offer reading and writing lessons to any creature who needs it. Whether you need to learn Ponish, Griffish, Harpic, or Draconic, we will dedicate the rest of the afternoon to those who need it.”

The temple quickly dispersed, with some staying to socialize, receive donations, or quietly waiting to receive tutoring while a majority of creatures left the building.

Twilight took a deep breath as the creatures left. It felt like she had been claustrophobic the entire time, only able to ignore it by pouring through her work. Spitting out the quill she had been using, she realized she’d definitely have to throw this one away. It was far too chewed up. Hopefully, she wouldn’t have to write down anything anyways; her jaw hurt by the tail end of the sermon!

Tucking the journal away, the alicorn quickly maneuvered her way through the crowd, attempting not to jostle or get her cloak torn or snagged. Approaching the chancel, she finally caught sight of Elder Quill speaking to one of the many worshippers who had attended. Slowly, she crept up behind the stranger, trying to catch the stallion’s eye.

“Keylime Pie…” chuckled Quill, “Good to see you again, sister….”

“Elder Quill, I see you everyday!” smiled Keylime Pie, “I brought you something~” cooed the mare.

“Oh? What is it?” Quill glanced over at the figure behind her, his eyes widening in realization before he quickly snapped his gaze back to Keylime.

“Just a few cans of food I got working at the store today… I can’t believe they just throw food away because of a dent in the can.” The mare pulled out a few cans of food from her tattered cloak before handing the Archmage the food.

“Oh, thank you, sister… bless you….” the Unicorn graciously bowed at his earth pony companion.

Keylime shook her head, “No, I should be thanking you for all the good things you and Yellowtail do for us. This is nothing compared to what you do every day….”

Quill hugged the mare, pulling her to his side, “It’s creatures like you who keep us going… you have a great day now, Keylime….”

Keylime gave the Elder a firm squeeze before trotting off, “See you tomorrow, Elder.”

Twilight couldn’t help the soft smile, watching the two. What Elder Quill was doing for this community was really having an impact on the creatures within it.

The Unicorn let out a sigh, slowly locking his eyes with Twilight’s, “Come with me.” The Elder led Twilight to the back of the temple, closing the door behind him.

Inside revealed the storage room, full of food, clothes, blankets, and bottled drinks ready to be given away. Aside from the shelves of food, there were two cots on the hardwood floor, a large wooden dining table with two chairs with a pack of cards scattered across it, and a small wood fire stove packed away in the corner of the room.

“I’m so glad you’ve returned. Did you meet with the Doge?”

The alicorn pulled off her hood, grateful to finally reveal one of her appendages. She would have to keep her wings under the cloak, despite how much they itched to stretch. Who knew who might walk through.

“I did. You might have heard that we got into a little bit of… trouble on the way up. Luckily the Doge was very obliging and understanding. He allowed my friends and I to stay, including those who can’t fly.” Twilight sighed, worried about giving him the news. “As for the aide for the wingless here below… it’s going to take some time. Frankly, the Parliament doesn’t seem to respect him very much. It’s as if they treat him as more of a mascot than a leader for the people.”

“But don’t worry, we’ll be making progress quickly. My friends and I have split up tasks, and one of mine is to make contacts here and try to strategize a plan with the community members and leaders.” She gave him a bright, optimistic smile. “Conveniently, I happen to know of one.”

The Archmage’s eyes lit up like a colt on Hearths Warming Eve, “Excellent… as for general strategy, I suppose me and Yellowtail are the only real figures of authority here– besides whoever has the most bits….”

The Unicorn slowly trotted over to the table, cleaning up the cards as he offered Twilight a seat, “What does the Doge want exactly?”

The alicorn sat down, giving him a nod of thanks, “Well, firstly, he needs the Parliament to respect him, which means he needs the public to back him. As I said, they don’t seem to respect him, so in order to get any laws or reforms to be passed, there needs to be outside pressure. Otherwise, nothing will change.”

“We need to first formalize our cause, put it under one name, one group. Make it a voice that they cannot ignore. My friends are also doing the same, from the ground to the upper levels of Swallowtail,” Twilight looked determined and energetic to get started, “Once we have a majority, they cannot ignore him or us any longer.”

Quill was preparing some tea while Twilight spoke, not even looking at the kettle as tea bags flew around and quickly placed themselves on the stovetop, several logs and kindling floating into the wood stove.

“I see; well, I suppose there are a few ways we could achieve this. Option one, you could publicly reveal yourself to the citizens of the lower levels and assert yourself as a divine and religious authority. But you seem a little…” he’d clicked his teeth, “Uncomfortable with the prospect of being worshiped like a god, yes?”

Twilight chuckled softly, looking down at the floor, “Well… you could say that. It wasn’t really that long ago that I was just a normal unicorn like you….” she let out a little sigh, “Sometimes I wake up in the morning and forget I have two appendages on my back. So all of the… worship and praise just doesn’t seem… earned. I mean– I have earned some things, of course. I’m not going to say I’m not talented, but….”

She paused, trying to find the right words, “I… guess I just don’t see myself among the leagues of Celestia, Luna, and other powerful celestial beings. I’m honestly nothing without my friends, and I mean that literally. Without them, likely, Equestria would still be locked in an eternal night….”

“I think… maybe I could reveal myself… but not as some sort of goddess. More of a… shepherd, perhaps?” that was the best term that she could come up with.

Quill smiled before laughing to himself, “You remind me of Yellowtail… he was so afraid of becoming an Elder, ‘oh Quill, I can’t I’m unworthy, I’m just an Earth Pony, I was a slave, I am unworthy, Celestia would never, I could never.’”

The Unicorn fished a pack of matches from his robes before lighting one of the sticks and tossing it into the woodstove, slowly kindling the fire, “An important aspect of our organization is the message that you, Celestia, Luna, and Cadance are just like normal creatures. The only difference being your job.”

Quill placed sets of silverware, dishes, and mugs on the table as he spoke, maintaining eye contact with Twilight as he put together a small salad for the two, “In a sense, you are a Shepherd; you guide and lead creatures all the time. But if you personally do not want to live out your existence as a god, who am I to deny you happiness and comfort?”

Twilight let out a soft sigh of relief, thankful that he did not insist on treating her any differently. It always made her feel so wildly out of place when she was given special privileges, and now that she had two giant advertisements of precisely who and what she was, it was becoming more and more difficult just to be treated… like a pony.

“Thank you. But I promise, I’ll try in any way I can to make this happen,” she slowly reclined into her seat, “Back in Equestria, I was treated more like a celebrity than a royal, but I suppose I’m going to have to get used to new perspectives hm?” the question was rhetorical, and she chuckled softly to herself.

“Now, do you know of any other community members that would be willing to aid in the cause? It would be best to meet with them before announcing anything to the public, yet– better to show a united front rather than being blind-sided.”

Quill shook his head, “I’m afraid, aside from a few families and cliques made up of different species, it’s just me and Yellowtail who have any resemblance of authority.”

A loud hissing and screeching erupted; Quill quickly jumped up to grab the tea kettle and poured himself and Twilight a mugful, “But I can gather a crowd and contact merchants and local business owners. I know dozens of creatures personally, and so does Yellowtail.”

Twilight lit up, gently bowing her head in thanks as she levitated the tea up to blow on it, cooling it just enough to take a sip.

“That’s good; I was expecting this to be a bit more tricky, actually….” She let out a sigh of relief, “But, to be completely honest… I’m not certain what I’m going to say… It usually takes me a week to come up with a speech, and then I practice it for a few days in a row with flashcards, so I make sure I have it down….”

The alicorn let out an embarrassed chuckle, “Heh, I guess I can’t really rely on that now, huh? So, what I mean to say is… if you have any pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.”

Quill looked around as if there were some creature else that Twilight was talking to, “M-Me?” he’d nervously rubbed his hooves as he took a bite of salad, “Uhm… well speak from the heart, speak your truth, and get through with it. I, uhm… I used to imagine the crowd as infants and that helped me personally.” chuckled Quill.

The alicorn couldn’t help but let out a gentle laugh at the thought. Perhaps that would work well for stage fright. Taking the fork with her magic, she began to pick at her salad before taking a small bite.

The Elder took a deep breath, “Twilight, I need to be honest with you… Yellowtail and I are… wanted creatures.”

She perked up and looked at Quill curiously. She wasn’t particularly suspicious of him; he had been far too kind for her to consider him a threat. “What could you and Yellowtail have possibly done to warrant your arrest?”

Quill sighed, “I was born in Unicornica, and raised to be a part of the clergy. I believe I briefly told you of the pilgrimage I took to Equestria. A rule for the clergy is to not speak to the natives or anypony in Equestria. We are to be unseen, unnoticed, and unheard.”

“Well… I was a naturally rebellious young colt, so I snuck off with Yellowtail and some of the younger stallions, and we explored the city of Canterlot and talked to a bunch of different ponies. We learned so much… too much. I was horrified, confused, and terrified of what I had done. I was afraid for Yellowtail; I thought I had killed my best friend by taking him with me.”

“But one day, I spoke out against The Grand Archmage and said that we were not following Equestria, Celestia’s message, and we were outcasts, hated by our neighbors justifiably so. The Grand Archmage pulled me aside and warned me to never speak out like that, or I’d be put to death by the Regency Council. They make up what Celestia said, what the ‘truth’ was, and what ideas and words even meant. The Clergy was just barely holding on to power and did everything in their power to protect creatures like you and me… from the outside world.”

“So in one last act of defiance, I used an amplify voice spell and declared that The Church was heresy, the Regency Council was evil, and Unicorn authority had no basis in faith. After that, I escaped with Yellowtail through a resistance network and made it to Swallowtail. But I have… a ten thousand bit bounty on my head, and there are…” he’d quietly whisper, “Spies… assassins everywhere. But I refuse to be silenced, and neither does Yellowtail… so if you believe this is too much of a risk… I understand.”

Twilight looked upon Quill with a concerned, worried expression that slowly melted into something else, “I can’t believe you had to go through such struggles to free yourself and your friends of that tyranny. You should be proud of your bravery. And thank you, I appreciate your honesty. I know how difficult that must have been to tell me of all creatures….” she gave him a soft laugh.

“And as for the danger… well, I’m sure at least some of my exploits with my friends made it back to Unicornica whole and untouched? I promise I can handle myself well enough, and I’ll protect you and Yellowtail as best as I can.” Her smile softened considerably; the thought of Quill– or any creature being killed for such a thing disheartened her deeply, “Luckily, my brother made sure I excelled in Shield magic.”

“I’m no novice at attack and defensive magic myself. I collected a few scrolls and books on the topic myself,” chuckled Quill, “I doubt they’d lay a hoof on you, Twilight. Most creatures who believe in Celestia think you are the Immortal Heiress, next in line for the throne. “

“Oh yes, I think I remember someone referring to me with that title… I’m not really sure what to make of it, but it doesn’t matter. I just don’t want you or anyone else getting hurt.” her tone was soft but firm. She turned back to her salad, stabbing a ripe cherry tomato before popping it into her mouth.

The Unicorn quietly ate for a moment before looking up at Twilight, his eyes seeming to trail around the room as if he avoided looking at her, “...Were you writing in a book during the service?”

Twilight perked up before becoming slightly embarrassed, “Ah, well… yes! I’m recording everything I’ve seen so far on our expedition. I admit I was really intrigued by your sermon. I don’t mean to insult, but were you perhaps inspired by Equestrian scripture? I mean, other than the obvious.” She chuckled.

Quill nodded, twirling his cup of tea idly as if it were a fine wine, “Yes, our faith’s holy book is commonly referred to as The Equestria Chronicles or Equestrian Chronicle. The collection of the history of Equestria. Our religion more or less uses the stories and quotes from Celestia and Luna as the foundation for our faith’s moral character.”

The Unicorn’s expression became intrigued as he tilted and peered his head toward Twilight’s cloak, “Do you mind sharing what you have written down so far? I’d love to read of your exploits.”

The alicorn perked up and smiled, pulling the journal out of her cloak before gently setting it on the table.

“Not all of it is my writings, actually. Some of them are actually from Celestia herself. She made this so I might be more familiar with the land and creatures we may encounter. I knew I had to record everything so the information could be spread far and wide when we returned to Equestria!” Twilight smiled brightly, “I’ve written down quite a lot, so I’ll just choose the most interesting logs. Otherwise, we would be here all day.”

Flipping through the pages, she eventually stopped on a page detailing their dealings with the pirates who attacked their ship, Pinkie drinking the lamb under the table, and the injured creatures who eventually healed.

Then Yakyakistan, regaling the Unicorn about the village, culture, and even her experience with Starlight Glimmer. That she felt a little guilty about, it almost felt like gossiping, but she only spoke the truth and of the aftermath that brought her into their expedition. And she couldn’t forget Thorax, Trixie, and Yona. She couldn’t help but be a little worried for the Yak.

Turning a page, she landed on Griffinstone, meeting with their new Queen, exploring the culture, and speaking with Grandpa Gruff. Gilda and Rainbow Dash hanging out, Twilight helping the griffin ready herself for her new position, allowing Gallus to join them.

By the time she was done with that page, Twilight needed a drink of water. Her throat was absolutely parched from talking at such length. She gave Quill a shy grin as her voice seemed to die, taking a long gulp of her tea.

Quill’s paused, giving a firm nod as they spoke, “This is… that’s so… brilliant!” erupted the stallion, eyes bright and full of foal-like wonder, “My goodness gracious! This has to be the greatest collection of recent history in years!”

Quill quickly took the book as he greedily skimmed through the pages with a smile glued to his lips. As he muttered its contents, his horn lit up, and he instinctively scrawled the information down on sets of scrolls he pulled from a shelf across the room.

“My gosh, Twilight, you’re simply brilliant!” praised Quill as he looked at the alicorn with wonder, “Not that I didn’t think you were brilliant before; I mean, you are a hero and savior of Equestria. After all, but I’m… I’m at a loss for words, my dear!”

The Archmage took a long sip of tea as he collected himself, blushing awkwardly as he idly tapped his hooves together.

Twilight looked up in surprise, quickly noticing the blush on the stallion’s face. She realized what that meant, finding the color rising to her cheeks.

“Um, thank you!” She couldn’t help but adjust her mane, “It’s nothing, really; I’ve always enjoyed recording my adventures. Honestly, it’s become something of a ritual or tradition when I, or one of my friends, go through something significant. Writing it down helps you remember and consider what you’ve learned, rather than forgetting it.”

“I, um, I’m glad you like it! Feel free to copy anything down; just please be careful with that. Celestia gave it to me, hehe.” Twilight smiled softly.

Quill gasped as he learned the book’s origin, recoiling in both fear and wonder, “Oh my, I hadn’t realized this was something this important. My apologies, let me return it….” Quill quickly raced through the book, now using two quills as he copied the information down before snapping the book shut and returning it to Twilight.

“Well, I hope you’ll still have room in your book once you’re through with Griffonia!” laughed Quill.

“You’re fine, I promise! She wouldn’t mind.” Twilight gave him a soft gaze and a chuckle, “I hope so as well! There’s just been so much to record. I might have to make another journal to fit it all!”

“Perhaps we can have an exchange? I was wondering if I could look through one of your Chronicles. I’m quite interested in it. I’d like to have one, so I may compare it to Equestrian texts.”

Quill quickly got up from his seat, “Certainly, I will fetch that for you right away, excuse me.” The stallion promptly left the room before, moments later, Yellowtail stepped into the backroom, tobacco pipe dangling from his mouth as he whistled and smoked to himself.

Yellowtail seemed to be on autopilot for a moment as he made himself a cup of tea before he turned to face Twilight, “Well, he’s certainly happy.” chuckled Yellowtail.

Twilight blinked, wrinkling her nose before subtly clearing the smoke with a hoof. It wasn’t her place to tell others what to do, especially in their own homes. She was nearly distracted by the scent when the stallion spoke.

“Oh, uh–” The alicorn hesitated, unsure of what to say. “Well, I did just give him a journal Celestia herself had written, so… I’d be pretty happy too.” Although Twilight had a feeling that wasn’t what Yellowtail was getting at.

The earth pony gave a firm nod as he puffed on his pipe, “Despite my diligence, I’m a pretty lousy elder. I’m no scribe; I’m a hooves-on kind of colt.” chuckled the Elder, “But ever since you showed up my friend Quill has been over the moon and back. Dying to hear as much as possible and record everything.”

Yellowtail sipped his tea as he exhaled smoke from his nostrils, “You certainly made his year.” He chuckled.

Twilight couldn’t help the blush that came to her cheeks, looking down at her cup of tea, swirling her spoon around in the liquid to give herself something to do.

“Ah, well…” She mumbled, trying to find her words. “He’s a very kind stallion, and he seems quite intelligent. I’m… eager to learn more from him, and I’m sure he is too.”

Yellowtail peered at Twilight curiously before returning back to his tea and pipe. As Quill stepped back into the room, “Apologies everypony, I had to give goodbye hugs and kisses and such.”

Quill cleared his throat as he placed a massive book in front of Twilight, straining, “Here we are, The Equestria Chronicles.” sighed the stallion.

Yellowtail raised his hoof, “I’m confused; surely you, of all pony’s, know of our species’ history and spirituality.” questioned the earth pony.

Twilight smiled at the Unicorn, “Thank you, Quill. I imagine that must have taken a toll,” turning to Yellowtail, she gave him a somewhat nervous grin, “Well, I do, but I want to compare between traditional Equestrian history to your own chronicle. From what I heard earlier, it’s quite similar, but I can’t help but be curious. Plus, I’m weak for a good book.”

Looking down at the hefty tome, the alicorn could almost feel herself begin to salivate at the possible new information. The sheer size of the volume was impressive, which meant all the more information to take in and record.

Her horn burning to life, she opened the book to the first page and instantly became absorbed. She began multitasking with ease, writing in her journal, turning pages, and sipping her tea simultaneously.

“We personally use the old Chronicle and more modern renditions of Equestrian history so we can have a fair assessment for the faith.” explained Yellowtail, “Celestia and Luna don’t need tall tales to show their power and character.”

Quill nodded, “Yes, the old Chronicle is a collection of older texts from the time of Starswirl The Bearded and stops about two hundred and fifty years after the banishment of Princess Luna.”

Quill continued, “However a majority of Elders and Archmages, even the Unicornican one’s record and relay tales of great ponies like Cadance, yourself, Shining Armor, and your friends. As figures of veneration or sort of… 'spiritual elderhood', as the old Archmage said. If they weren’t alicorns or Unicorns.”

Twilight murmured to herself, repeating their words as her eyes kept scanning the pages, the feather quill in her magic never stopping its scribbling as it wrote everything down. That was until she eventually processed the words, her focus slowed, and she turned to the stallions with some interest.

“Even in Unicornica?” She seemed a little uncertain, “I want to ask what they believe about my friends and myself, but I’m not entirely sure I want to hear it. Considering their track record against non-Unicorns….”

“Ah… well… we sorta thought you and your friends were...” Quill fumbled.

“We thought your friends were your slaves,” answered Yellowtail bluntly.

“W-We were taught by our elders that you were a merciful and kind master that was firm but fair with your five spiritual and physical slaves who were bound to you,” explained Quill, “Obviously just a horrible way to justify the institution of slavery!”

Twilight’s face twisted into one of disgust and anger. How dare they twist her relationship with her friends into something so– so vile?! She set down her journal and her pen, not wanting to spill any ink onto the parchment.

“I had no idea any creature could twist words and… lie like that. I knew ponies could but… to such a degree, it’s almost unfathomable,” her ears lowered, turning to the two stallions, her anger turning to sadness, “How could they do this? Who began such awful teachings?”

Quill bowed his head in shame as he elaborated, rubbing his hooves together nervously, “The general message and theme were that alicorns were divine beings; submission to their authority was mandatory. Even for Unicorns, and to prove that fact, we were shown and taught that all of your friends, even ones as beautiful and held in high regard like Rarity, were obedient, loyal, and dedicated spiritual and physical slaves.”

Yellowtail chuckled, laughing to himself, “I can’t believe we thought that was true. But thank goodness many ponies in the old temple don’t believe in the garbage the ‘theists’ in the Council believe in… shameful….”

She couldn’t believe it, shaking her head. But it was beginning to make sense… Old, archaic forms of Equestrian religion, specifically towards Celestia and Luna, did indeed state that submission to the ‘Sister Gods’ was mandatory. Otherwise, one would be burned with the might of the sun, then their ashes scattered into the sky by the moon. But how she and her friends were twisted into this message couldn’t help but hurt. How many ponies believed those stories?

“Well, I am grateful there are at least some creatures that don’t believe it….” Twilight sighed with little relief, “But I can’t believe somepony would do such a thing in order to gain power… and how Equestria or Celestia herself hasn’t heard anything of the sort!”

“Unicornican society is very secretive and rigid; only the highest of Unicorns and spiritual leaders can leave the country legally, and everyone else is trapped inside. Nothing gets in or out. Not to mention the coded language and use of old Ponish keeps public conversation controlled and private.” explained Quill as he rubbed his brow.

Yellowtail looked over at Twilight as he slipped the pipe out of his maul, “Take it from me, your Excellency. As a former slave and guard, I only knew what I needed to know to fulfill my ordered task. I didn’t know anything. I didn’t know how to read or write. I didn’t know anything past counting, addition, and subtraction. Many Earth ponies who don’t go to the guard are only taught one language, either Griffish or Ponish, so organized revolts are impossible.”

“That is… barbaric,” Twilight couldn’t help the clear disgust on her face, the idea of keeping knowledge intentionally away from ponies, especially colts and fillies who were blossoming minds needing information to learn about their world, was horrific, especially to a princess who valued knowledge so highly.

“I cannot believe this! I must send another letter to Celestia and note everything down. Ponies, creatures, regardless of their species, should never be slaves and be content with a life of servitude!” She stamped her hoof.

Turning to Yellowtail, her expression turned softer, more apologetic. “I’m… I’m so sorry that nothing was done sooner. But we will stop this, I promise… but how did you escape?”

Quill and Yellowtail gave an appreciative smile to Twilight, a relief washing over them as somepony they held in such high regard and authority validated their beliefs they sacrificed so much for. Quill rubbed his eyes as he fought back a teary expression of gratitude.

Yellowtail smiled as he looked over at Quill and then back at Twilight, “I was a gift to Quill’s father from a Unicorn Captain I served under. His father, Racing Feathers, was a brave warrior who climbed his way to the ranks and saved my old master’s life during a Republic raid. His loyalty awarded me to him.”

The Earth pony looked over to Quill before sighing, “Fortunately for me, I was more or less adopted into Quill’s family. They are probably one of the few families in the Kingdom ever known to do that. But Quill’s father was a top Pegasus warrior, and his mother was a lower-level Unicorn scribe. A pretty middling life by most Unicorn standards.”

The alicorn listened intently, not wanting to lose a scrap of information. Not only was it his story, but it gave her an insight into the society and culture that Unicornica had.

Twilight’s brow raised, turning to Quill, “Your father was a pegasus? But I thought all non-unicorns were slaves?” Perhaps she had assumed wrong, and it was only earth ponies?

“Technically, we’re all slaves to Celestia and Luna, but at the top are Unicorns, then you have free Pegasus, then Earth ponies, enslaved ponies, and at the very bottom are enslaved sentient creatures,” explained Quill, “The only way ponies go into slavery is if they break a serious law, most commonly treason and terrorism. If a pony so much as speaks against the crown, they would be bound in chains… but not only them but their entire family would be bound in bondage forever as well.”

“So most non-Unicorn ponies act subservient to Unicorns anyway because if they don’t, they’ll be forced to in chains. Since generations of fear and discipline were instilled into them, most ponies just act submissive out of societal pressure.”

“Not to mention that any Unicorn with the extra bits to spare can just buy some poor Harpy or Griffin to be their servants…” spat Yellowtail.

Twilight brought her hooves to her lips, she wasn’t sure how but that seemed even worse than what she initially thought. It sounded… it sounded horrible, even worse than Tartarus! At least those imprisoned in Tartarus weren’t enslaved; they were prisoners! But these ponies, these creatures, their lives were nothing but struggle, hatred, and fear.

“This is horrific...” Twilight shook her head, “I cannot let this stand. After my friends and I are done in Swallowtail, we must travel to Unicornica and stop this at once! Innocent lives having their hopes dashed away, their future being tarnished by selfish ponies who believe to be their betters! The sins of the father are not sins of the son, and even so, speaking one’s mind should not be a crime!”

The alicorn took a deep breath, realizing her horn had started burning to life during her rant. She let out a small squeak and licked her hoof, pressing it to her horn to aid in halting the magical surge threatening to break free. It sizzled out like a flame being extinguished. “Ehehe, sorry about that….”

Yellowtail and Quill looked at one another with a confident smile.

“I think we have a plan….let's talk option two.”