• Published 27th Sep 2022
  • 750 Views, 3 Comments

The Warden: Part 1, Return of The Warden - FortressLegacy



An enemy from the distant past resurfaces after dissapearing for a millenium, and he has a blood vendetta on the royal sisters.

  • ...
1
 3
 750

Chapter 6: Harmony Or Vengeance

But it was not the end for Luna.

Before the Warden's blade fell, she saw an oddly familiar rainbow colored blur flash right before her eyes.

The blur swept past the Warden, causing him to sway violently to the side, missing Luna entirely

Both Luna and the Warden looked around, in stunned confusion.

Then, the rainbow colored flash came back, and this time it collided with him.

The Warden stumbled sideways as the blur came to a halt.

'Hey! You alright, your Highness?'

It was Rainbow Dash.

Luna was stunned. 'Rainbo- Wha-?' Her eyes widened as concern for the pegasi's safety overrode her sadness.

Closing her eyes, she teleported herself, Rainbow, and Celestia to the opposite side of the courtyard, away from the Warden.

'What are you doing here?' The princess asked, still in awe. 'He's too dangerous for you to take on! Run!'

Rainbow Dash looked at the Warden, who was now staring directly at her.

'That pile of metal right there?' Rainbow scoffed loudly, making sure that the Warden heard her. 'He won't be a problem!'

At that moment, Luna noticed that Rainbow Dash was wearing the necklace containing the Element of Loyalty. She remembered that Twilight and the others were on their way with the Elements of Harmony.

'Stand down, pegasus.' The Warden growled. 'I've no quarrel with you, but I will remove you from my way if need be.'

Rainbow Dash flapped upwards a few feet, looking as confident as ever despite being quite a bit smaller than the Warden.

'Remove me? Maybe.' She remarked, shrugging. 'But remove me and my friends? Not a chance, buddy.'

Just then, the flying chariot came hurtling over the castle walls, swiftly landing directly in front of Luna. Then out hopped Twilight, Pinkie, Rarity, Applejack, and Fluttershy, joining Rainbow Dash.

All six gathered together, each wearing their respective elements.

They looked around, each taking in the situation as the Warden measured up his new challengers.

Fluttershy then made a noise that could only be described as a horrified whimper, putting her hooves to her face. 'Princess Celestia! S-s-she's-'

Just then, the gravity of the situation sank in for the six as they noticed Celestia lying on the ground.

Twilight went completely numb. For a few seconds, she simply shut down. Pinkie and Fluttershy did the same, while Rarity stumbled backwards, and Rainbow went completely pale, having failed to notice until now.

Applejack, meanwhile, took a step forward, her eyes gleaming in anger. 'Did- Did you hurt the princess?!' She screamed, gesturing at Celestia.

The Warden nodded, not saying a word.

Applejack looked around at her friends, looking as if she were trying to find something to say, but couldn't quite find the words.

Rainbow Dash flew forwards next, looking at Twilight. 'We need to zap him to Tartarus and back right now! Give the word!'

But Twilight wasn't listening. She was staring at Celestia's lifeless body, which was lying on the ground.

Try as she might, she could not break her gaze. Was Princess Celestia dead? Was her longtime mentor and teacher actually lying dead in front of her?

In moments, all of her memories of her time spent with the princess fashed past: Her first Summer Sun festival, during which she saw the princess for the very first time; The moment when she first hatched Spike and became Princess' Celestia's pupil; The countless days spent in the classroom, listening intently to the princess' every word; and the day that she was sent to Ponyville and reformed Luna, reuniting the sisters, to name a few.

These flashbacks then came to a jarring halt, terminating with the events that occurred earlier. Specifically, when Twilight lashed out at the princess.

Regret flooded her heart. She never had thought that their friendship would end in such a sour way. Princess Celestia's regretful expression when they last talked stuck to Twilight now in a resounding way.

If she had known this would happen, Twilight would never have hurt the princess like that.

Twilight bowed her head and closed her eyes. A single, shimmering tear fell from her eyes, leaving a shining trail on its descent.

'Don't weep for her.' She heard the Warden say in his gruff voice. 'She was only seeking to turn you into her puppet.'

This remark caused something else to begin to arise within her. She felt rage. An urge to exact vengeance began to swirl in her heart. At that moment, for the first time ever, she genuinely wanted to kill somepony.

How dare he speak in such a derogatory way about Celestia's intentions?

'She was better than you could ever hope to be.' Twilight said slowly, her voice laced with anger. 'She wanted nothing more than for me to be the very best I could ever be.'

'And yet she lied to you, didn't she?' The Warden shot back. 'I was still keeping an eye on you two before you left. I saw you call her out, I know that she kept you in the dark.'

This was true. His remark had left Twilight without a response. All she could do is stare at the Warden, thinking about how the princess had betrayed her trust.

'You know she was not worth following.' The Warden continued. 'If you are angry, you have every right to be. She deserves nothing less than your scorn.'

That was where he was wrong. Sure, the princess made a mistake, but Twilight understood why she wanted to hide them away. Besides, did this one slip up really offset all the good that the princess had done? She taught Twilight many difficult lessons in the best way possible, and the two had grown very close over the years as teacher and student. In difficult times, she helped Twilight overcome obstacles and achieve great things. Never once did Princess Celestia abandon her, nor did she mistreat her. In addition, the princess was unmistakably regretful for keeping Twilight in the dark.

Twilight was not going to hold it against her any longer.

'I forgive her.' Twilight said in a blunt tone. 'She was my teacher, and the only ponies who know me better than she did are my own parents and brother! She was afraid of how I would perceive her if I knew the truth, and I understand that feeling all too well! Yes, she was imperfect, but I am imperfect too! We all are, and I am not going to hold that against her!'

The rest of the Mane six looked at Twilight in awe at her righteous outburst. She shuddered and took a deep breath, checking her emotions. Then she spoke, sounding calmer.

'I know that she started the conflict between you two, but I also know that she said that you both had agreed to move on. So that begs the question; Why did you come back to fight more? Why did you instigate this fight and kill her?'

'I instigated this?' The Warden spat back. 'She and her monster of a sister kept the fight going. I'm merely ending it.'

Extending his wings once more, he prepared to strike out at the six.

'Girls, now!' Twilight commanded, having no choice but to defend against him. Immediately, the six harnessed the Elements of Harmony. Each rose into the air as a veil of brilliant colors surrounded them. Their eyes also changed, now glowing brightly. Twilight sat in the middle of the group, as the others then shot out beams of magic at her tiara.

The Warden came to a sudden stop, his wings now acting as airbrakes. It seemed as if he had suddenly realized what he was up against.

As the Element of Magic absorbed the beams from the other five, Twilight directed a single, concentrated beam at the Warden. He was immediately sent flying back into the ground, becoming embedded in the soil.

Seeing that he was knocked down, Twilight stopped, the others following suit.

The Warden was motionless, and his armor was smoking a little. Then he groaned, and began to move. Slowly, he stood back up.

Twilight could hardly believe her eyes. His armor was glowing, a full spectrum of colors forming an aura around him.

Twilight's mind entered a swirl of panic. He just absorbed the magic of the Elements of Harmony! Did she underestimate him after all?

Regardless of the answer, she knew that they had to act fast.

'Again!' She cried, and the others complied without hesitation. Once more, they shot beams of magic at Twilight, who instantly shot out another beam at him, determined to keep him off balance.

This time, the Warden was prepared. Extending his blade, he drove it deep into the ground, anchoring himself.

A few seconds passed, the six using the Elements, and the Warden holding fast, against all expectations. The six began to strain a little. They had never used the elements for so long at one time.

The Warden, however, also began to visibly struggle. Several flaps in his armor opened up, and Twilight could see magical auras begin to jettison out of them.

Her heart jumped. It looked like he was trying to offload the magic. That meant that they were overloading his armor! The Elements were too powerful for him to handle after all!

'Keep going!' Twilight shouted, her full focus on maintaining the stream of magic.

The Warden was clearly struggling now. His blade began to slip out, and he was desperately trying to find a solid foothold. But as they kept up the stream, the harder it became for him to resist.

'We've got him! Keep it up!' Twilight's words of encouragement seemed to inspire her friends to redouble their efforts, despite their increasing exhaustion. The beam intensified even more, and this seemed to be the tipping point.

The Warden shouted out in what could be described as a mixture of pain and anger, before finally losing his grip. Helpless against the beam, he was flung into a wall, his back firmly planted against it. His armor was glowing orange now, and smoke was coming off of it.

Twilight was growing weary. Surely, they could safely stop now.

But then she noticed something.

The Warden's visible eye was glowing, brighter than the beam itself.

She realized with a chill that he was not done yet.

The six were straining again, groaning and grunting with exhaustion. Twilight had to encourage them again.

'He's not done yet! We need to-' Twilight was cut off by a furious shout from the Warden.

'I will not fail! I will avenge them!'

Then, a beam of the very same magic coming from the Elements of Harmony was fired by the Warden, counteracting the beam from the six.

They struggled desperately, but they were already exhausted from having continuously used the Elements for such a long time. Slowly gaining momentum, the Warden's own beam moved forward, pushing back the six's beam.

Things had just gotten even more dire than Twilight could have anticipated. She looked at her friends around her, and each was straining immensely. She knew they had mere seconds remaining before they were overcome.

She needed to turn this around. She and her friends were Luna's only hope now. She could not fail. Far too much was at stake, and she had to end this now.

They had to defeat him, for Princess Celestia's sake.

With a determination that could only be described as supernatural, Twilight gave one all out, final effort.

The six's beam now equaled that of the Warden's, halting it. Then, the six's beam broke the Warden's, enveloping him in overwhelming power.

Twilight finally cut off the magic, and the six friends tumbled to the ground, exhausted.

After a few seconds, as she regained her breath, Twilight staggered upright, looking at the Warden.

He was standing as well, breathing heavily, his armor glowing with intense heat. His eye had lost its glow, and he simply stood completely still.

Then, with his armor sparking and smoking, he fell to his knees and toppled to the ground, unconscious.

He was done.

'Is- is everypony okay?' Twilight called.

'We're fine! Go check on the princesses!' Fluttershy replied, pointing at Celestia.

'I'll check on Princess Luna!' Rarity declared, already running towards the stunned but conscious princess.

Twilight felt a stabbing sensation of dread pierce her heart as she looked at the fallen princess once more. She began to gallop to her side, being joined by an equally concerned Rainbow Dash.

They came up to Celestia within seconds, and Twilight felt her heart drop.

The princess lay on the ground, her eyes closed and a small amount blood trickling out of the corner of her mouth. Twilight also could see the dart now, sticking out of her breastplate.

She unsuccessfully fought the urge to burst into tears. The princess was lying broken and lifeless on the ground before her.

Memories of her time spent with Celestia played out in front of her eyes once again.

Memories of their last exchange less than thirty minutes before also replayed in her mind. She recalled Celestia's shame in admitting that she was not who Twilight thought she was. The feelings of anger and even betrayal experienced by Twilight was still raw, but now it had been replaced by grief.

Sadness began to overwhelm her, causing her to breathe uncontrollably and for tears to begin to flow freely.

Why did her final discussion with Celestia have to be such a heartbreaking one?

A surprised and joyous cry from Rainbow Dash, who had placed a hoof to the princess's mouth, shattered Twilight's flashbacks.

'She's breathing! She's alive!'

Indeed, she was right! Twilight noticed Celestia's sides rise and fall as she breathed. Her breaths were weak and raspy, but she was alive!

Twilight felt a wave of intense joy and hope wash over her. She looked over at Luna, who had an expression of shock and joy in her eyes. She, too, looked a bit relieved.

'Oh fer- You just don't know when to quit, do you?'

Applejack's angry remark caused Twilight to look at the Warden.

He was standing once again!

Twilight was shocked. Not only did he just try to use the Elements of Harmony against them, but he was now standing again!

Hopelessness set in once again. He had taken everything that they could throw at him, and he was still able to fight!

'Why!?' Twilight cried, at a loss for what to do. 'Why are you like this?! Why are you doing this?!'

'Ask her.' The Warden groaned, pointing to Luna. 'You won't believe it coming from me, but you might coming from her.'

Each of the six looked to Luna, who was also staring at the Warden. Having been put on the spot, Luna broke her gaze, took a shaky breath, and spoke.

'I-I killed his family in cold blood as Nightmare Moon.'

Twilight felt shock pierce her soul as she heard her answer.

Everypony was deathly silent.

A few moments passed, then Rainbow Dash spoke.

'What?! No! That's just- That's got to be a lie!'

'I agree!' Rarity said. 'That's- That's too much!'

Applejack's eyes opened wide for a moment, before closing them and lowering her head.

'Gals, she's tellin' the truth.'

Twilight had to take a moment to process it. It was unbelievable.

What should she do?

She looked back at Celestia, and her soul rallied.

It would be an injustice to allow him to hurt anypony else. If Celestia's friendship lessons and Luna's conversion taught her anything, it's that forgiveness is the best way to move on, not exacting revenge.

A look of determination overcame her face, as a fiery resolve kindled within her.

'Warden, I cannot hope to understand what you have been through.' Twilight assured him. 'But please, please understand that revenge is only going to increase your suffering. There is only one way to fix this.'

'What? Forgiveness?' The Warden scoffed. 'In case you really are this dense, that went off the table centuries ago. Now stand aside.'

Twilight sighed. If he was not going to be talked down, then they were going to have to stop him. His armor was badly damaged, and he was bleeding in several places. If there was a time to take him head on, it was now.

'If that is the case, then we are going to stop you.' Twilight declared. 'Right?'

'Yeah!' Rainbow Dash shouted. 'Princess Luna's our friend, and we aren't going to stand aside in her time of need!'

Fluttershy worked up the courage to speak next, scolding the Warden. 'If you weren't so heartless, you would realize that she has changed!'

'Well said, darling!' Rarity praised, stepping up alongside Applejack and Pinkie.

Twilight nodded as the rest of the six mustered around her.

'If we cannot stop you with the Elements of Harmony, we will stop you with our hooves if we have to.'

The Warden did not flinch.

'Fine.' He uttered.

'Let's get him!' Rainbow Dash shouted, rushing towards the Warden.

He braced, extending his blade and preparing to take on the six mares.

However, a pale blue aura suddenly enveloped the six, including Rainbow Dash, who was only mere feet from the Warden. Then, they found themselves being forcibly moved to the side. Twilight looked around desperately, and to her dread, saw that Luna was responsible.

'No!' Luna shouted. 'That's enough! I'm not letting anypony else get hurt because of something I did!'

She hung her head as she turned to the Warden. 'I'll hold them at bay, don't hurt them. Just end this now.'

Twilight tried her best to break out of Luna's grasp, but could not do so. The princess was far too powerful. All she could do was watch in horror.

The Warden did not say a word. He simply stared at Luna, and began to slowly walk to her. He strode up to her, his hoofsteps thumping quietly as he approached. When he was within a few feet of her, he paused.

Twilight's mind desperately raced. The only thing she could do now is make a desperate appeal.

'Warden! Think! Although your family is gone, are you completely certain that this is what they would have wanted?'

He looked at Twilight, and stared at her for a few moments. Then he closed his visible eye, and shook his head.

'No… But as you have said, they are gone. All that can be done now is what I want.'

'Celestia said that she once thought you were honorable and good. Was that because of your family? Were they the ones who drove you to be better?'

The Warden sighed and opened his eye, making eye contact again. 'You certainly possess your mentor's penchant for getting under my skin.' He remarked. 'I suggest you remain silent.'

He turned back to Luna, and Twilight desperately tried to come up with another appeal.

'Please listen! Would they have approved of this? What would they have thought of you? If they were good, surely they would not-'

'Shut up!' The Warden shouted, shuddering as he did so. 'The more you talk, the more I'll make Nightmare Moon suffer before she dies!'

Twilight gasped, swallowing any additional words she had. Had she made things worse? She looked at her friends, hoping for some hope.

Fluttershy was hiding her face, tears streaming from her closed eyes as Rarity and Pinkie were trying to hold back their own tears while trying to console her. Rainbow Dash was frantically struggling to get out of Luna's grip, trying desperately to stop the Warden by force.

Applejack looked even more somber than Twilight had ever seen her before. 'You did all you could, sugarcube.' She whispered, trying to do her best to console Twilight.

Twilight took a shaky breath, and looked back to the Warden, who was looming over Luna now.

Luna did not say anything, closing her tear filled eyes and waiting for what came next.

He came in closer, putting his head directly above her own. Steadily, he took his blade, and pressed it to her chest, right over her heart. Luna felt the cold metal pressing against her. She inhaled sharply, anticipating the killing blow.

For several unbearable seconds, the Warden held his blade to her, remaining motionless.

But then, the blade withdrew.

She flinched, expecting the killing strike.

But nothing happened.

Luna felt her heartbeat quicken, as she began to breathe quicker. The anticipation was antagonizing.

Why is he taking so long?

Then, she felt a drop of water fall onto the back of her head.

Luna's mind raced. It was not raining, that much was certain. Then what was it?

She opened her eyes, and saw the shining blade trembling slightly, a few inches away from her chest.

She slowly looked up, gazing at his face again.

A small trail of shining water, was running down his mask, originating from his broken visor.

It was a tear.

The expression in his eye was different from what it was before. Luna gasped silently.

In his eyes was not anger or hatred, but regret and realization. It was almost a mirror image of her own feelings.

The Warden's breathing was becoming more uncontrolled now, as he struggled to maintain his composure.

Twilight watched on, not knowing how to react. Could she dare hope that he was hesitating?

The Warden took a series of deep breaths, taking a few seconds before speaking. His voice trembled, revealing a surprising degree of sadness and regret.

'What am I doing?'

He took a few steps back, looking around in awe.

Twilight could not be sure, but it seemed as if he were only just realizing what he had done.

Luna released the six from her magic, certain that the fight was now over.

Rainbow Dash tensed up as if she were about to rush in to fight, but Applejack placed a foreleg in front of her. Rainbow shot an irritated glance at her, but relented.

Eventually, the Warden's gaze fell on Celestia, who was still lying unconscious. Slowly, he looked back to Luna, his own tears flowing freely now.

He didn't say another word. He extended his wings, his damaged armor grinding and sparking as the engines sputtered to life. Then, within seconds, he struggled skyward, and flew out of sight.

The fight was over.