• Published 19th Sep 2022
  • 671 Views, 38 Comments

Tales of an Equestrian Battle Mage - Babroniedad



Sunset Shimmer has seen her destiny. Now she just has to survive it! A Certain Magical Sunset prequel.

  • ...
4
 38
 671

20 - Sunset - Hi Mom! Look Who Followed Me Home

Sunset woke with a start, looking around the darkened cabin. Aiko stirred restlessly next to her in her sleep. Shaking off a sudden feeling of deja vu, Sunset looked out through their patio window to see the pirate ship still trailing along behind them, pulling taunt the tow line tailing from the deck above out to the prow of the once menacing pirate schooner.

Seeing the ship tailing behind them Sunset was reminded of the carnage of the day before. With a sigh she rolled over and faced her dear friend, the one she had traveled halfway around the world to rescue. “Well, that could have gone better,” she sighed quietly. “I’m sure mom will have plenty to say about it.”

She smiled as her thoughts turned to home, seeing her sisters again and introducing them to Aiko. She grinned thinking of the thousand plus questions Twilight would surely have for Aiko about life in Nippony as well as the adventures they had shared.

“Well somepony is happy,” smirked Aiko, now awake and smiling. “What caused that grin?”

“I was just thinking of the welcome you’re going to get from Twilight,” laughed Sunset. “Good morning, Slumbering Flower.”

“Good morning to you too, Shimmering Sun,” grinned Aiko. “So today’s the day.”

“Yup, today is the day. We’ll make port this afternoon. Then we’ll swing by the consulate to let them know you are alive and well, sort of, we’ll report to mom’s local office and make our reports, then we’ll head back to Canterlot,” agreed Sunset. “I really am looking forward to seeing everyone again and to introducing you.”

“I’m really looking forward to meeting them. They sound nice,” agreed Aiko.

“They are. Annoying sometimes, but nice. I really think they’ll love you,” smiled Sunset. Rolling out of bed she entered their bathroom to perform her morning ablutions, then waited while Aiko took her turn.

“All set?” Sunset asked as Aiko stepped out of the bathroom.

“Ready Freddy,” agreed Aiko. “Let’s get breakfast, then go bug engineering.”

“Yeah, no. I don’t think they would appreciate that. They’re probably extremely busy getting ready to make port,” argued Sunset.

"Well if you don’t want to do that we could just go up on deck, then you can give the crew and everyone another heart attack while you practice your falling lessons,” suggested Aiko with a smirk.

“Ha ha. It is to laugh,” snarked Sunset. “Okay here’s a better thought. We can hang out on our patio while I teach you more Battle Magic.”

“That actually sounds good to me,” agreed Aiko.

They adjourned to breakfast, then after the meal returned to their suite. Getting comfortable on their balcony they entered the dreamscape to practice their battle magic.

In their shared dreamscape Sunset started her instruction. “Okay, so as a mage, you have to have a grasp of the basics. Levitation, light spells, shields of course, and basic bolt casting. Past that, there are advanced techniques we will build up to, like self levitation, advanced shields, multi-casting, and teleportation. Once you’ve mastered those there are the so-called forbidden magics, one of which we are using now.

“So, let’s start simple. Cast a light sprite and move it around the dreamscape. Let’s see how you’ve been doing with your practice.”

Aiko manifested an amber sprite above her forehead and moved it up and around in circles holding Sunset’s gaze the whole time. She finished by parking the sprite on the end of Sunset’s still bejeweled horn.

“Nice! Excellent spatial control, and I see you’re still using the default coloration of your magic. Have you practiced changing the hue of the sprite and the intensity?” asked Sunset.

“Huh. No it didn’t occur to me it would even matter. I mean yeah, I’ve been changing the intensity, but not the hue,” replied Aiko. She shut her eyes for a moment and the sprite on Sunset’s horn shifted to a teal hue. She opened her eyes and grinned. “There! Your favorite color. How’s that?”

Sunset smirked. “Well done, my student. Okay now cycle it through the rainbow and stop at gold.”

“Gold is not a color in the rainbow, dork,” laughed Aiko as the sprite flashed, working its way through the rainbow starting at a deep red, shifting through to yellow, then passing through blue and violet. It finally rolled back to a metallic yellow giving the sprite a golden sheen.

“You really are talented, Aiko. Okay, levitation then! Manifest the largest thing you think you can levitate, then move it around the dreamscape,” instructed Sunset.

Aiko smirked. With a bang! The Albatross appeared next to them complete with rigging and sails billowing in the imaginary wind.

“Oh hoh! It looks like someone thinks they’re a nine-tail already,” laughed Sunset.

“If I were a nine-tail, I would be tossing around stars and planets like your mom, bacca,” stated Aiko, laughing.

“Fair,” agreed Sunset. “Still if you really think you can move that much mass, that would be impressive. It would put you among the highest level mages.”

“I’m already in the company of one of the highest level mages, she’s showing me the ropes,” snarked Aiko.

“Watch it vixen! Flattery will get you everywhere,” teased Sunset. “Okay, if that’s what you want to use, go for it. I’m just saying, in the dreamscape is one thing because here you can dial in the gravitational and inertial masses. That trick is a bit harder in RL.”

“RL?” asked Aiko.

Real Life,” answered Sunset. “Especially when Real Life is in the middle of combat, with one or more creatures actively and violently trying to end your life or the lives of those you’re protecting. Yeah sure, that looks cool in the classroom or in a demonstration but in an actual fight it can get you quite dead quite quickly. Casting has to be fast, nearly instantaneous, thought free, and more often than not brutally direct. So a flashy cast ends up as a flashy final exit from life.”

“So then mass effect spells are fine as long as I can cast them near instantaneously with little thought,” clarified Aiko.

“Well, yeah. But bear in mind that you’ll be casting them with one or more other spells, like manifestation, energization, levitation, inertial manifestation, for example.

Sunset nodded towards her ship. “Like for example manifesting this ship levitating towards your target, accelerating fast enough to minimize dodging or other forms of avoidance and with inertial modifications to make it easy to throw, but just before impact inertially massive enough to eliminate your target. Add to that magical and other energies can be imparted to your missile and you have a very complicated casting that has to be second nature, instantaneous, and perfectly cast every time. That’s where practice comes in, and the dreamscape is perfect for that. Get the form and flow perfect here and the thoughts and actions will flow perfectly when you need them in Real Life. The secret is don’t use any cheats here, do it exactly like you’d have to do it in Real Life. Then everything you learn and hone here will carry over to your practice and use there.”

“That makes sense,” agreed Aiko, lifting the ship telekinetically. “Okay. Yeah, I can feel the push back from the magic lifting this. If I fling it around as a cudgel or missile in battle I will be pressed pretty hard. So teach me how to do mass effects, please?”

Sunset looked abashed. “I will, I promise,” she said, looking down and away. “As soon as I learn them myself. I haven’t studied those yet, but I’ve noted several places where it mentions it’s possible.” She looked back to Aiko. “That’s quantum level magic in the Higgs field. Not something I have learned yet, but as soon as I do I'll certainly show them to you too. You’re my partner, so any tools I have in my arsenal I want in yours too. We’ll have each other’s backs.”

“To the end, Soni!” agreed Aiko, smiling. She moved the ship in circles around them, practicing accelerating and decelerating as well as modifying its path. It took all her concentration but she managed.

“Well done, Aiko, you got it. Now I’m going to teach you a basic shield spell. I ‘m placing the spell matrix in your mind now. Do you see it?” asked Sunset.

“I see it and I think I get it. If I am reading this right it’s a form of impervious levitation? It redirects all momentum back at the target by reversing all momentum vectors while stealing energy from the object to help power the spell. Is that right?” asked Aiko as she examined the spell form.

Sunset nodded. “Yup, you got it. That’s the basic form. There are several modifications I will teach you, but in essence that’s your basic battle shield. It steals energy from attacks to augment its power and redirects momentum vectors back at the attacker. It’s a set and forget form of the spell requiring next to no concentration once activated. A form of this will be one of the mainstays of probably all your battle strategies. Never go into battle without an active shield, you never know when it will save your life.”

Sunset watched as Aiko cast the spell, surrounding herself in an amber tinted shield. Sunset tested her crafting, launching inertial, energy, and magical attacks at her shield. As expected many of the magical attacks passed right through, doing nothing to Aiko aside from briefly lighting up where they hit.

Sunset smiled. “That’s one of the limitations on this basic version of the spell. Magical attacks are inertia-less, so vector reversal is essentially ineffective against them. Also the energy capture is subject to bleed through depending on the energy profile of the attack. That means some of the energy can still pass through the shield, just as you can see here. There are steps you can take to minimize bleed through, but to my current knowledge it’s not something you can avoid completely. Some spell casters do what they can to minimize bleed through then overpower the spell to reduce the amount. Fine when you have hugely deep mana wells, but for the rest of us it's not the best solution, because mana committed to your shields is mana unavailable for your attacks or other spells.

“I have a different way to deal with this issue. I tend to tweak the spell to minimize bleed through, then use a secondary spell at much lower power and tuned to a different magical harmonic positioned just below it that absorbs any bleed through energy. It’s harder to cast. But with practice it can be second nature and it’s much more efficient than overpowering the main shield, leaving me with more resources for whatever else I need to be actively doing.”

Aiko nodded.

“Okay, time to practice your magical blasts. Have at me and don’t forget to change things up as you go,” prompted Sunset, raising a shield of her own.

Aiko dropped her shield and started lobbing manifested inertial missiles at Sunset.

Sunset scowled. “No! No, no, no! Aiko, never go into battle without your shield active and ready. That’s the first rule of magical combat. We just covered that. Put your shield back up, and then launch your attacks at me. I will keep things interesting by mirroring your attacks back at you to mimic us being in action combat.”

Aiko stopped her attacks, re-enabling her shield. Then she launched into her attacks again.

“Perfect! Well done, Aiko,” encouraged Sunset, reflecting Aiko’s attacks back and watching with satisfaction when they were redirected back to her. Sunset then tweaked her shield, adding a bit of energy to the redirected vector instead of siphoning the energy off. Now the missiles bounced back and forth between them until eventually Aiko’s shield cracked and she was struck.

“Ouch! Dammit Soni, that hurt,” she rubbed the shoulder where she’d been impacted. “What happened?”

Sunset laughed. “I tweaked my shield. Instead of siphoning off energies from the inertial redirections, I reconfigured it to add energy from my mana pool. So eventually the projectiles had enough energy to break through one or both of our shields. That’s another useful tweak you can make to your shield on the fly, so you eventually overpower their shields. It uses more of your mana, but it can be useful occasionally.

“Okay, start over. And this time make sure to absorb more energy when you see that starting to happen. Also don’t forget to add in energy and magical attacks as well.”

Sunset stood at the ready, her shield raised, as Aiko re-manifested her shield and restarted her attacks.

This time she started with energy attacks, lightning blasts that echoed off of Sunset’s shield, their energies absorbed. Mixed in were limited kinetic attacks that bounced off of her shield and back to Aiko’s shield, where they lost enough momentum they just rebounded and augered into the ground. Aiko also threw in a slew of amber magical bolts but they just disappeared.

“Do you see that?” noted Sunset as they fought. “I have my secondary shield in place. I’m using the energy siphoned from your attacks to empower it. And it’s preventing the magical bleed-through that would have hit me.

“Hold up for a second. I’ll give you the updated spell matrix for the combination of the two shields.” She placed the updated spell matrix in Aiko’s mind. “Do you see it?”

“Yeah, one second.” answered Aiko as she dropped her attacks and shield, studying the new spellform. “Oh! Wow, it’s got layers!” she noted.

Sunset nodded excitedly. “Exactly! One of the most intuitive ways to cast two conjoined spells is as a nested form. By transforming the two spells into a matrix that encapsulates and defines the relationship between them into a single spell form, it’s easier to cast it reflexively. This is actually the form I use in combat. If you understand this, and clearly you do as you see the nesting of the layered spell form, then you should practice with this until casting it becomes completely automatic. It will be your automatic defense whenever you need it.”

Aiko sat for a moment silently studying the new spell. She smiled. With an amber glow the new shield appeared around her. “Ready to go!” she called out.

Sunset probed her shield, testing her casting, then she smiled too. “Aiko, you were so wasted as a diplomatic attache. You have such a natural talent for this! This is where you’ve always belonged.”

“By your side forever, Soni. Funny how life works out,” agreed Aiko with a smile. “Let’s try it out.” She launched a magical barrage at Sunset. Sunset returned in kind. This time there were no tell-tale flashes of magical leak-through. Aiko’s shield held against all attacks just like Sunset’s shield.

Sunset nodded in satisfaction. “That’s more like it! Practice that form every chance you get until at the slightest bit of trouble it automatically becomes the first thing you cast. Make it your ready and constant companion and a trusted friend.”

Aiko smirked. “Really? I thought you were my ready and constant companion,” she snarked.

“Make it your other constant companion and friend then, dork,” grinned Sunset.

Aiko laughed. “So what’s next?”

Sunset thought. “There’s still the advanced topics. We haven’t practiced self-levitation or teleportation yet. I’ll give you the spell forms for them and you can practice those. I don’t use self-levitation myself. The only forms I’ve been able to come up with are transformations of the basic levitation spell, and they end up too energy intensive to be of any practical use. That’s the reason why my flying at this point is just chained teleports, interspersed with graceful falling, or the occasional rest on a cloud using the cloud-walking spell. I am still working on aetherial wings though - I swear I will get those figured out at some point.

“Yeah, teleportation is a big one. But even with deep mana pools it takes a lot of endurance to get to a point where you can pop off consecutive teleports. They’re complex and extremely draining spells. You will improve with practice if you have the mana reserves to back them up, which you do.

“I highly recommend practicing them eventually, though for now I just need you to become familiar with the spell form. We’ll practice together once you’re comfortable with them. Also the first few times going through the ether under your own power can be highly disconcerting, so I will be with you just in case you have any issues. Or freak out like I did the first time. Not that I will ever admit that,” Sunset teased.

“That sounds like fun,” agreed Aiko. “Yeah, you’ll have to tell me that story sometime.”

“Never happened. Never admitting to it,” smiled Sunset.

“Too late, dork! You already did, you have to tell me now,” Aiko playfully prodded.

“Some other time.” replied Sunset. “It’s almost time for lunch, then we need to get ready to disembark. Study and become familiar with those spell forms. Just don’t actually do the teleportation yet. I seriously want to be with you when you do actually use that for the first time. I am not interested in losing my dear friend in the ether.”

“Wait! That can actually happen?” asked Aiko, concerned.

‘Let’s not find out,” answered Sunset. She dropped out of the dreamscape and went back into their cabin to pack their things up for disembarking after their final lunch on-board. Aiko remained in the dreamscape studying the spell forms and trying her paw at the self levitation. As Sunset said, it was extremely taxing and would be useless for long distances or prolonged encounters. Still a useful trick to have in a pinch though she thought.

Several minutes later Aiko came in from the patio ready to join her friend for lunch. Together the two of them left the cabin and loped down to the dining hall for the final lunch buffet of the cruise. They stood in line, and when their turn came selecting fish, soups and salads, then found seats at an empty table.

They started to eat, and were joined by two others. “Hey Soni! Hey Aiko! Bet you’re both ready to get off this ship, right?” teased Kōshitsu, sitting down next to Sunset. Grinning, Thaddeus sat beside her with a nod in greeting.

“Hey! They let you two off for good behavior?” teased Sunset. “We didn’t expect to see you two here. We thought you’d be busy prepping everything for our arrival.”

“We were and we did. But even slaves get to eat,” snarked Kōshitsu. “And we thought we would eat in the passenger mess so we could hang out with you two.”

Thaddeus added, “And we wanted to thank you both again for what you’ve done. Honestly, we wanted to catch you before you disappeared. Don’t be strangers. I count us as friends and I will be writing. Band of brothers and all that.”

Kōshitsu snorted. “You do realize you’re the only brother here, right?”

“You know what I mean,” Thaddeus laughed.

“Yes, I know exactly what you mean,” grinned Sunset. “Leash mates. You’re both part of my leash. Leash sister and leash brother.”

“Yeah, that,” agreed Thaddeus. “Leash mates, I like that.”

“So writing. Good idea! Let’s exchange addresses so we can send each other letters,” agreed Sunset. “Can you stop by our suite after lunch?”

“Sure, we can spare a few minutes,” agreed Kōshitsu.

They finished their lunch and joined Sunset and Aiko back in their suite. Sunset found some parchment and a quill then jotted down her contact information for both Kōshitsu and Thaddeus.

“Yeah, now that’s an impressive address. Nothing like addressing your mail to Celestial Royal Palace, Canterlot, care of Princess Sunset,” laughed Kōshitsu. “At least it’s easy to remember.”

“Oh, oops! Make that Sunset Shimmer, student of Princess Celestia. Getting ahead of myself,” Sunset laughed in embarrassment. “Aiko will be living there with me, so that address works for both of us. Though, please send anything to Aiko in my name, so she can preserve her anonymity,” stated Sunset.

“Makes sense. The best way to reach either of us is through the main office. They’ll make sure it gets routed to us at one of our stops. Same address for both of us for that reason also,” replied Kōshitsu, writing down the address for the fleet headquarters, care of the 優雅なアホウドリ (Yūgana Ahōdori - The Graceful Albatross). Sunset nodded, placing the address in her saddlebag. “So we have a day stopover in port. Any chance we can get together tomorrow and see the sights with you two?”

Sunset sighed. “I wish we could. Sorry, but we have to report back as soon as we make port, and I’d imagine Princess Celestia is going to keep us busy with her debriefing. But if you wanted to come to Canterlot, I could request some time off for the two of us, maybe tomorrow afternoon? And I would love to introduce you to the Princesses, Twilight and Cadance.”

“I’m not sure that would work. We have to be back on the ship by lights out tomorrow night. So just spending an afternoon we would have only a little time to visit then have to hop on the train to get back in time. We would likely only have an hour or two to visit. Is that even long enough to say hi without seeming rude and just rushing off?” asked Kōshitsu.

“We could make it work if you wanted. Can you get leave for this afternoon? Then you could come with us back to Canterlot tonight? We can put you up for the night and set you up with some guided tours or something tomorrow morning, then catch up with you as soon as we are free. Does that work?” suggested Sunset.

“Maybe. I’ll ask the XO if we can leave after our shift ends this afternoon,’ replied Kōshitsu.

“Okay, just let us know. If you’re on and it all works out, we can pick you up before we head out of town, and you can travel with us. Just pack light, for overnight and tomorrow, no need to go crazy,” noted Sunset.

Kōshitsu and Thaddeus smiled and nodded. “Sounds good! I’ll let you know if we get approval,” she said. They said their goodbyes and headed off to the remainder of their shift.

“That would be great if they got to come too,” agreed Sunset. “Twilight can pester them about the Stratos drive while we watch.”

Aiko grinned. “You really can be a stinker.”

They finished packing up their belongings then went out to the patio to watch as the ship headed into port.

The first thing they noticed was when the pirate schooner was pulled closer into the ship. A gangplank was dropped from the deck above them onto the deck of the schooner and a dozen Kitsune crossed over. The plank was then pulled back onto their ship and the tether line cast off. The crew that had crossed over scattered across the deck and into the rigging as the schooner pulled away and drifted down towards the harbor below.

“Ah, that makes sense. Easier to land each ship separately than try to bring them in tethered. I hadn’t thought of that,” mused Sunset as she watched them work. The schooner soon was far below them as they continued their flight into the port proper. They could see other ships in a holding pattern just a ways out from the passenger docks on the shore, in line all waiting for their turn to settle down into the harbor. Eventually their turn came. The ship, true to its name, gracefully spiraled down from the sky towards the harbor below. Landing gently in the harbor, she sailed smoothly into the designated berthing and was lashed to the docks. Boarding walkways were then lashed and secured for the passengers and crew to make their egress.

“That’s our cue!” smiled Sunset.

They returned to the suite and gathered up their things, then headed up the main stairs to the deck to wait in line with the other passengers to disembark. Further down the dock they saw the pirate schooner, bearing the Nippony colors from her mast, come into port and dock at an open berth. Sunset smiled as she watched the crew bring her alongside the berth, the then thrown lashing ropes caught by the crew and the ship lashed securely to the dock. The gangplank lowered.

“I wonder who will own and crew the ship now?” mused Aiko. “I’m pretty sure Nippony Cruise Lines doesn’t want a pirate schooner in their fleet.”

“Technically by rights of salvage, the ship belongs equally to the Equestrian Crown and Nippony Cruise Lines. If I had to guess, the Crown will probably cash Nippony Cruise Lines out and the ship will either be repurposed into the Equestrian Navy, or will be put up for auction,” explained Sunset.

“So it could end up as a naval vessel? Huh,” questioned Aiko.

“Stranger things have happened. Though if it were used in the navy, it would likely be in the Coastal Guard to safeguard the coast against invasions. It is a functioning airship, and with some refurbishing could make a decent freight frigate for ferrying supplies,” noted Sunset.

It was their turn to disembark. As they disembarked, they smiled and nodded to the Captain and XO, both nodding and smiling back. “Safe travels, Sirs,” said Sunset as they passed them.

“And to the both of you,” replied the XO.

They stepped off the walkway and onto the dock, then followed the crowd into the port authority. When their paperwork was checked and cleared they exited the port authority, emerging out into the city proper.

“So where to go first? The consulate? Or to the Princesses offices?” asked Aiko.

“Duty first. To the offices to report in. Then, with their leave, to the Consulate to report back on your successful un-rescue,” answered Sunset.

“Un-rescue?” asked Aiko.

“Not sure what to call it. Not really rescue what with the cluster-buck that left you having to do what honor required. You’re not returning to work or your old life. So un-rescue? But still, we need to let the Consulate know what has happened and give your friends some closure. And know as hard as it will be, I have your back. You don’t have to do it alone,” consoled Sunset.

“Yeah, not looking forward to this to be honest. Thanks,” nodded Aiko.

Sunset hailed a cab that took them to the Equestrian governmental offices. Sunset thanked the cap driver, tipping him generously. They entered the building and Sunset approached the receptionist.

“Excuse me. Sunset Shimmer and Aiko Adobaizā, Equestrian Battle Mages, returning from assignment duty abroad and reporting in,” she informed the receptionist.

“One moment. I’ll take you to the director where you can debrief,” she informed them. Ringing up the director’s desk she announced, “The battle mages have returned. I am bringing them up now.” She paused for a moment. “Yes sir, thank you,” she replied into her headset. She then removed her headset and rose from her desk. Another mare trotted over and took her seat as she trotted into the hallway behind her. “The director will see you now. Please follow me,” she called out to them. She led them down the hall then into an elevator that took them directly to the top floor. The doors opened up into a spacious but simple office, with a window overlooking the city and bay. “Please be seated. The director will be back shortly,” she informed them, escorting them to seats before a large mahogany desk. She then left, the elevator doors closing behind her.

A few moments later the director entered through a side door, a conference room visible briefly through the open door where several ponies in suits were collecting notes then leaving through a far door. The director entered his office and closed the door. Nodding to the two of them he rounded the desk, taking his seat behind it.

“Welcome back, Miss Shimmer. I take it this is Miss Adobaizā?” he asked.

“Yes sir, that’s me,” confirmed Aiko.

“Welcome to Equestria, Miis Adobaizā,” replied the director. “I’ve heard you had a rough time during your absence. I’m pleased you were rescued, though I was deeply distressed to hear of your kidnapping.”

“Thank you sir. Yes, though the kidnapping was not the worst of it. But with the help of Sunset here I am back, if not back in my life,” replied Aiko.

The director raised an eyebrow at that. “Can you elaborate? I’m not certain I understand.”

“Sir, permit me to make a brief report. I think that will clear up much of the confusion,” suggested Sunset.

The director nodded so Sunset gave him a terse summary report of the kidnapping, sale to the Yak-uza as an exotic prostitute, drugging and abuse, and eventual rescue. She then reveled her forced ritual suicide and how Sunset had staged the ritual and faked Aiko’s death to satisfy her family honor, protecting her uncle’s position in the government. She also mentioned she had enrolled Aiko in the corps of Equestrian Battle Mages as her protege.

The director’s eyebrows were raised at several points during Sunset’s debrief but he did not interrupt. When she had finished, he sighed.

“Miss Adobaizā? My sincere condolences for your losses and for the hell you endured. Correction, that you both endured,” he turned to Sunset. “I am sure there will be no problems with her enrollment into the Battle Mages, nor with her Equestrian citizenship. I’ll make it my priority to expedite both,” he promised.

"Thank you sir,” both Sunset and Aiko answered.

“I imagine you wish to report back to your Consulate to let them know what’s happened. I’ll inform the Princess as well and let her know to expect you back at the castle this evening,” informed the director.

“Sir, we would like to bring along two of the officers from the ship we returned from Nippony on to meet with the Princess, and to help answer any questions she may have from the latter part of my report. Can we please be sure there is room for the two of them on whatever conveyance we end up using to return to Canterlot?” requested Sunset.

“Okay. What are they? Ponies?” asked the director.

“They’re both Kitsune, sir. Why do you ask?” asked Sunset.

“Kitsune? No problem then. If they were Yaks, I would likely have had to request a second chariot. But the four of you should fit fine in a standard chariot,” explained the director.

Sunset looked relieved. “Oh, of course sir. Thank you.”

The director nodded. “Of course, happy to help. Please report back here at 1600 hours for your flight back to Canterlot. That gives you a few hours to take care of what’s needed at the Nippony Consulate. You’re dismissed,” he smiled, waving them back out of the office. Getting up from his desk he returned to the conference room where another group of suit wearing ponies were gathering.

Sunset and Aiko left the directors office, taking the elevator down to the lobby. They left the government building, heading the few blocks down the street to the Nippony Consulate. A short trot later, they entered the building, following the same procedure they had just completed at the government offices. They were escorted into the Consulate’s offices, and seated before the Consulate.

“Welcome back, Miss Adobaizā,” greeted the Consulate. “I am relieved to see you returned and apparently unharmed.”

“Well, not exactly unharmed, and sadly, not exactly returned,” sighed Aiko.

“Yes, I was warned that was happening, regarding your returning,” agreed the Consulate.

“Sir, permit me to give you a summary report of what has happened, and what we are doing going forward, if I may,” replied Sunset.

“Please, Miss Shimmer. I would be grateful to hear what has happened,” answered the Consulate. Sunset related her summary of the events that had transpired, just as she had to the director earlier.

Nodding in understanding, the Consulate looked sadly at Aiko. “My dear Miss Adobaizā, I am so sorry for what you endured. And I fully understand why you took the steps you did, and why you are joining the Equestrian Battle Mage Corps. Know that your secret is safe with us, and we wish you every success and happiness in your new life. And thank you Miss Shimmer for taking care of our dear Aiko for us.”

“The honor is all mine sir. Aiko is worth every effort and everything we both endured. I am looking forward to serving with her,” replied Sunset.

“You are a true friend, Miss Shimmer. Thank you,” smiled the Consulate. He turned to Aiko. “Aiko, do you wish to see your old friend before you go? Do you want some time to explain to her what has happened, to give her some closure?”

“Yes sir, if that is permissible,” answered Aiko.

“Of course! I will give you my conference room, and complete privacy. One moment, I will have her paged. Go ahead and wait for her in the conference room and I will have her brought in,” said the Consulate. “Miss Shimmer, will you be joining them? Or would you like me to escort you to our lunchroom where you can wait for your friend?”

Aiko answered. “No sir, she is staying with me. She can help me explain some of the more difficult parts of our ordeal to my friend in a way she can understand.”

“Very well then,” replied the Consulate, waving them towards the conference room door on the right side of his office. He placed on a headset, requesting that Aiko’s friend be led up to his conference room for a quick meeting. Sunset and Aiko rose from their chairs and trotted into the conference room, shutting the door for privacy.

“So, are you ready for this Aiko? I’ll let you do the talking, but if you need me to jump in at any point, you don’t even need to ask. Just a look and I will step in,” assured Sunset. Aiko nodded. They sat and waited for her friend to arrive.

The door opened, and a two-tailed Kitsune vixen entered. “Kaede?” asked Aiko happily.

“Aiko!” shouted the vixen, shooting across the room to scoop her missing friend into a hug. “Aiko! It’s really you!'' She chanted and danced happily, crying and hugging her friend. “I was so afraid I would never see you again!” She held onto her friend, crying happily. Aiko smiled and held her back.

“It’s good to see you again too, Kaede. No lie, I was convinced I wasn’t going to make it at several points myself. But, I survived, thanks to my friend Soni! And now I get to visit you again, and let you know I lived. But, I have to tell you, I’m not coming back. I can’t live this life any longer,” related Aiko sadly.

“If it’s from the shock of what you went through, I can totally understand that,” said Kaede through her happy tears. “But that doesn’t have to be forever, right?”

“Kaede honey, have a seat. I need to tell you a few things, so you can understand what happened, and why I can’t come back to work here. Do you need something to drink, some tissues, or anything before I start?” asked Aiko, trying to help her friend get comfortable. Sunset closed the door to the conference room, returned to the table and sat down on the other side of Kaede with a box of tissues, which she passed over. Kaede took them, thanking her, then dried her eyes and cleared her muzzle.

“So what happened, Aiko? You were gone so long? And I was even afraid that I might not see Miss Shimmer here either, after the horrid way she was kidnapped too and disappeared,” asked Kaede.

“I was kidnapped by the same stallion that kidnapped Soni. He placed me into a shipping crate with just enough room to stand with my head bowed, and dropped me onto a schooner that shipped me back over to Nippony to be sold as a slave to work in the brothels. Because I was a three tail, I sold well for them to the Yak-uza, who raped me repeatedly, addicted me to drugs, and placed me in one of their brothels to be used by their customers. I was completely insensate after the initial beatings and rapes due to the drugs, having no idea what was going on around me not where I was. I was completely out of it, just a body to be used and abused.

“Soni got herself sold to the Yak-uza as well, and started working her way through the brothels looking for me. She found me eventually, cleaned and sobered me up, then escaped with me from the brothels. Together, we took on the Yak-uza, and overthrew the corrupt leaders, helping free the prostitute slaves in the brothels and protecting our leash sisters, as we called each other, from being subject to slavery and rape. I could never have done it without Soni, I owe her my life.”

Sunset clarified. “And I could never have done any of it without you, Aiko. You were incredibly brave and heroic all through our campaign, heroically rescuing our sisters and taking on the corrupt leaders of the brothels.”

Aiko smiled. “I had a good teacher. There was no way I could be fearful when you were being so brave.

“So, by the time we were finished, we had liberated the slaves in the brothels, killed the corrupt leaders who were causing the rapes and suffering of our sisters, and given our leash sisters a new hope, free to leave when they wished and free from the fear of rape and abuse.

“However, there was a cost to what I had been through. You know about my family, remember? My Uncle, he is the Secretary to the PM, and an important Tod in the Empire. What had happened to me was a dishonor to my family, and to our family name. To cleanse the family's honor, I had to commit ritual suicide. I’m dead to my life, Kaede. I can’t come back, I killed myself. My family watched me die, and burned my body, scattering my ashes. I have to start a new life, and have chosen to become a Battle Mage, like my friend Soni, who saved my life.”

Kaede looked at Aiko in confusion. “I understand what you are saying, but I don’t get it. If you committed suicide, how are you here?”

Aiko explained. “Soni, she faked my death and cremation. She spirited me away after the funeral, and together we left Nippony behind, and my old life. I am enrolled as an Equestrian Battle Mage now, learning battle magic and fighting against injustices under the Equestrian Princess, by the side of my friend and mentor Soni.”

Sunset placed her frog over Kaede’s paw. “Just because Aiko cannot be a part of her old life, does not mean you cannot keep in touch. If you want to send and receive messages, just send your correspondence to the Princess's Castle, care of me, and I will be sure Aiko receives your letters, and that you receive hers in turn. Also, at some point, you may want to visit. Contact me and I will do what I can to accommodate that as well, though know that it will be in secret, as Aiko has well and truly left behind her old life.”

Kaede nodded. “Thank you, I will surely take you up on both offers.” Sunset smiled and nodded.

She then excused herself, leaving the room to allow the friends some time together. As she passed into the Consulate's office, he looked up from his desk and beckoned her over. “Miss Shimmer, a moment please? Have a seat,” he offered, waving at the chairs before the desk. Sunset bowed and took the proffered seat.

“Yes sir, how can I help you?” she asked.

The Consul replied. “First, thank you again for rescuing our dear Aiko, and helping her family through their sorrow and grief. And for not allowing them the further sorrow of the actual loss of their beloved niece and daughter. I know I am mirroring their sentiments when I say I am happy you have taken her into your service and offered her a life of honor and meritorious work by your side. You truly are a dear friend to her, and we are deeply grateful for what you have done for her.”

“It was an honor, sir. Aiko is a noble and courageous vixen, thinking of others even in the midst of her trials. I was honored to help her, and honored to call her my friend,’ replied Sunset. “And, if you need to contact her for any reason, know that you can always reach me through the Princess, and reach her through me.”

“Noted, and thank you, Miss Shimmer. Do you require anything further from my or my office?” asked the Consul.

“No sir. I just left the room to give Aiko and Kaede time to be together before we leave. We have to catch a chariot back to Canterlot in an hour, so I wanted to give them a chance to properly say their goodbyes for now,” replied Sunset.

“Very good. Okay. Do you know the way to the break room? Or do I need to page an assistant to help you find it? I’ll have Aiko brought to you when they are finished as well, so you can do what you need to do,” clarified the Consul.

“No sir, I know the way. I recall from the last time I was here. Thank you sir.” Sunset rose from the seat, bowed deeply to the Consul, then exited his office, heading down the hall to the breakroom where she made herself a cup of tea and waited at one of the tables for Aiko to finish her goodbyes to her friend Kaede.

Three teas and a trip to the little vixen’s room later, Aiko loped into the break room looking for her. “All set, whenever you’re ready to go,” informed Aiko, sitting down next to her.

Sunset finished off her tea, then rose, taking the cup to the sink, where she washed it and placed it on the rack to dry with the others. “Okay, let’s head back to the docks to let Kōshitsu and Thaddeus know we are ready to leave and pick them up, then we can head back over to the offices and catch our ride.”

“So, elephant in the room time. It’s kind of odd to see a unicorn not using her horn. I know I’ve gotten used to it, because I have been hanging around you for what seems like forever. But it is weird to see a unicorn not using her horn for most things, like you just using your hooves right now to wash and dry that cup. Are you planning on doing that forever, or will they be able to fix your horn?” Aiko asked as they trotted down the hall and into the elevators to return to the lobby.

Sunset sighed as elevator doors closed. “Honestly? I don’t know. I mean, I’d be disappointed if they don’t have some way to repair my horn. But even if that’s true, it’s not the end of the world. I have learned to use my other channels well, and it certainly hasn’t been too much of a limitation so far. No lie I do miss it though. I’ll ask the Princess when I see her, maybe she knows some way to repair the damage that’s been done by epoxying this inhibitor to my horn.”

“Makes sense,” noted Aiko as they left the elevator, crossing through the foyer and out onto the street. They loped towards the docks, heading for the berthing of the Graceful Albatross and their friends.

They spied them both leaning over the railing of the hybrid cruiser, both waving back as they spied them, then leaving the ship and loping up to them. “Hey Aiko, Soni! Everything set? We got leave for the rest of the day and tomorrow. We don’t have to be back until the morning after, when the ship will begin preparing for the return voyage,” stated Kōshitsu.

“Awesome. That should give us a little time to sightsee tomorrow then,” grinned Sunset, hugging them both. “Is that all you’re taking?” she asked, looking at the daybags they both had strung over their backs.

“Yup, packed light just like you suggested,” replied Thaddeus. “Ready to roll.”

“Alright! Let’s head over to the government offices and catch our ride. Ever been on a sky chariot before?” asked Sunset.

“No, but how much different than a ship can it be?” aske Thaddeus. Kōshitsu snickered and Sunset grinned.

“I guess you’ll find out,” laughed Sunset, leading them back to the offices.


Back at the office, the receptionist passed Sunset a packet that was waiting for her at the desk. Sunset opened the packet. “Oh, these are for you, Aiko,” she noted as she read them. “They’re your citizenship papers, and your enrollment paperwork for the Battle Mages.” She stuffed them into her saddlebags. “We can go through them tonight and you can sign anything that’s needed to make them official. So yeah, you’re a legit Equestrian now. Feel any different?” smiled Sunset.

“Right now, every moment feels different,” mused Aiko. “It’s like I am living in a dream.”

“A good one I hope,” smiled Sunset.

“Mostly. Especially now,” smiled Aiko back, shoulder checking her friend.

They went to the roof for their departure and saw the team responsible for their return waiting for them. To Sunset’s frustration the team was led by the Major.

“Major, it’s been awhile. Good to see you again,” greeted Sunset.

“Shimmer,” she returned the greeting coldly. “The team is ready to go as soon as you and your fellow passengers are secured. Can you help them lash themselves into the chariot, or do you need supervision?”

“No, I got it. Thank you Major, I will get everyone secured,” replied Sunset kindly.

While they were getting secured into the chariot by Sunset, Kōshitsu leaned over and whispered into Sunset’s ear. “What’s with the stick up her plot?” she asked.

“We have some history. I’ll fill you both in later,” whispered Sunset back. Once she had triple checked everyone’s lashings she lashed herself in as well. “Everyone is secured, Major, we are good to go,” confirmed Sunset.

“You’re not going to fall out like you did on our ship, are you?” teased Thaddeus.

The Major turned around looking dead serious. “What’s that?” she asked.

“Nothing, Major. No one is falling from the chariot.” Sunset reassured the Major. She shot a glare at Thaddeus who looked confused. “We’re good to go.”

“Good,” grunted the Major, turning back around and leading her wingmare in a dash off the side of the roof. The chariot lurched, dropped suddenly, then steeply climbed upward as they flew up over the clouds blanketing the city then off, over the hills to the east, heading inland towards Canterlot.

Looking a bit green, Thaddeus held onto the straps, wide eyed as they jostled through and around the storm clouds to emerge above the weather then flattened out their flight. “So, you were asking what’s the difference? That,” teased Sunset. He just nodded, his eyes still wide.


About an hour later they could see the city of Canterlot in the distance, hanging magnificently from the side of the Cantorhorn. Within another twenty minutes they were over the city and coming in for a landing in the castle courtyard. When the chariot had completely stopped, Sunset unlashed herself, then helped her fellow passengers unlash as well. They hopped down from the chariot.

“Thank you Major, we appreciate the lift,” said Sunset.

The Major grunted. “Shimmer.” She barely nodded as the two of them trotted off pulling the chariot to the stable, putting it away for the night and ending their shift.

“Stick. Plot. Wedged. Probably sideways,” smirked Kōshitsu. “You’ll have to tell me what the Tartarus happened that would make someone act like that.”

“Yeah. Short version. We lost the rest of our team on assignment. I was in command, so it was my fault,” sighed Sunset.

“What?” gasped Kōshitsu, the others turning to listen as they trotted towards the castle entrance.

Sunset related briefly how her unit had been surprised by Griffin raiders while she was out on reconnaissance. The raiders had killed her entire command except the Major, who she found barely clinging to life. She related her desperate run to the nearest fort while trying to keep the Major alive with her then limited skills, racing across the countryside, trying desperately to get to the fort before she died of blood loss from her extensive injuries.

“And so for saving her life she hates you that much?” asked Aiko.

“No, for not planning properly and allowing my command to be ambushed and decimated by Griffin raiders, she hates me that much,” corrected Sunset. “And I nearly lost her. Thank Harmony Herself for saving her, it wasn’t my doing. She’s not wrong. I’m the one that messed it all up.”

“You know as well as I do, that’s donkey diddly,” Kōshitsu stated. “You made decisions that may or may not have been the best. But in the field you don’t always have the luxury of the best choices. More often than not you just do the best you can then pray, and work diligently to carry it off with what you’re left with. She needs to pull her head out of her plot, and fast, or she’s going to cause more damage than any poor decision you may have made.”

Sunset sighed. “You’re right, but I can’t fault her for her grief. She doesn’t have this issue with other officers, just me. So I have been avoiding her, limiting our interactions to minimize any fallout.”

“That’s nice that you are trying to be accommodating,” Kōshitsu nodded. “But having been an officer for a while across several commissions, I can tell you that despite your noble intentions you are doing more harm than good. Letting her harbor those feelings and letting her act out like that, you are not doing her or others under her command any favors. You need to nip that seed in the bud, now! You cannot let that continue, or your and her command will fall apart. My kindest advice to you as a fellow officer and friend is to deal with that directly and immediately.”

“Immediately?” asked Sunset, turning to Kōshitsu.

“As in right now! We’ll wait for you in the castle. I’m sure someone can guide us to where we need to go. Go take care of this now, Soni,” counseled Kōshitsu.

Nodding, Sunset moved off towards the barracks the team was heading for having finished securing the chariot for the night.

“Come on, she’ll be fine. Let’s just go find ourselves a Princess,” suggested Kōshitsu, leading them into the castle.


Sunset caught up to the Major and her wingmare as they were entering the barracks. “Major,” she called out.

Looking back over her shoulder, her face darkened. “Shimmer. Something else you need?” she asked coldly, stopping just inside the barracks.

“Yes. I just need a moment of your time,” Sunset stated flatly.

“I’m a bit busy at the moment. Perhaps you can have your Princess schedule some other time when we can chat,” said the Major as she turned back around to leave.

Major! You will not trot away when you are being addressed by a ranking officer!” snapped Sunset.

Excuse me? I don’t see any ranking officers here. Just want-to-be pleb who got her unit slaughtered!” the Major snapped back, wheeling around.

“Uh, ma’am?” nervously said the mare with him. “What are you doing, ma’am?”

“You’re dismissed, private! Go file your reports then get some grub! You’re done here,” the Major barked.

“Yes ma’am!” she hurriedly scurried off trotting briskly down the hallway away from the angry pair of senior ponies.

“Something on your mind, Major? Feel like you have something to say?” challenged Sunset, facing off against the Major.

“You bet I have something to say, you no account waste of fur!” shouted the Major. “You think you’re fit to command? You think I want any guard under my command working under you? Just so I can watch you kill off more of my ponies!? Like hell if I let you get any more of my ponies slaughtered, you pretentious piece of filth!”

Sunset growled. “Major, I have tried to cut you slack on account of what you’ve suffered, but you are insubordinate, and I cannot let that stand. The next word out of your mouth will be "I am sorry, ma’am“ or I will personally haul your feathered flank into the stockade!” Sunset shouted.

Buck you!” shouted the Major spinning around to leave.

“I did not dismiss you!” roared Sunset, reaching out and touching her muzzle as she tried to pass. She dropped to the floor like a pile of wet rags.


When the Major woke she found himself in the brig, a pitcher of water on a table next to his bed with a cup of sweetened tea and a loaf of bread.

Buck me,” she sighed, sitting up and resting her face in her forehooves.


Sunset found her friends in one of the Princesses’ private conference rooms still waiting for the Princess.

“So did you get things taken care of?” asked Kōshitsu.

It could have gone better,” sighed Sunset as she sat down between Kōshitsu and Aiko, who had moved over to give her a spot when she entered. “I confronted her. She was insubordinate. I reprimanded her. She was outraged. So I knocked her out and stuck her in the brig, where I left her locked up with some bread, water, and tea for when she comes too.”

“Damn mare! You knocked her out? Not exactly what I had in mind when I said to manage it. What happened?” asked Kōshitsu.

“She lost it. I had to drop her before she embarrassed herself and my command with the scene she was making. I hope a little cooling off and the reality check will help her reevaluate her choices. Then we’ll try having a more productive conversation,” answered Sunset.

Kōshitsu laughed. “Remind me not to piss you off.”

Sunset grimaced and smirked. “Don’t piss me off. Or better, if you do, be blunt about why you did it then help me dial back my response. Thanks Kōshitsu.”

The door opened and Twilight and Cadance entered followed by the Princess. Seeing her, Twilight shot over to Sunset, pulling her into a hug.

“We missed you!” she sniffled, hugging her tightly. Sunset hugged back, scruffing her mane.

“I missed you too, sis,” she smiled while rubbing her back. “I’m so glad to be back.”

Cadance and Celestia beamed watching their reunion.

“We all missed you, Sunbeam. Welcome home,” Celestia grinned. Turning to the others, she smiled. “And welcome to you also! Any friend of my little Sunbeam is a friend of mine. Welcome to Equestria!” She sat at the head of the table. A housekeeper wheeled in a tray with cake and tea and proceeded to serve them.

“Thanks Mom,” said Sunset, still holding tightly to Twilight. “It’s good to be back.” She turned to her friends. “Mom, allow me to introduce you to my friends.

With a final nuzzle she let go of Twilight, placing a hoof on Aiko’s shoulder. “Mom, this is Aiko Adobaizā. She’s the vixen who was kidnapped from the Nippony Consulate in Manehattan. She’s my companion now, enrolled as a battle mage and under my tutelage. I’ve also enrolled her as an Equestrian Citizen.

Celestia’s eyebrow went up as Sunset continued. “I’ll tell you all about it. And these two are officers on the Yūgana Ahōdori - The Graceful Albatross. Kōshitsu Kinzoku Hana is the First Officer of Engineering, and Thaddeus Flavius is one of her Journeymen First Class. Thaddeus was actually born in Equestria.”

Thaddeus grinned. “The Old Ponish name usually gives that away,” he laughed. Princess Celestia smiled and nodded.

“Aiko and I met these two on the Graceful Albatross. They helped us defeat a band of sky pirates when they took over the ship,” added Sunset. “And now we’re friends. See, I can make friends!” laughed Sunset.

“I always knew you could Sunbeam,” laughed Princess Celestia. “You just had to decide it was important enough to want them.”

Sunset grinned. “I always had friends, Mom. I had you.” She sat back, looking around the table with a happy smile. “And last, but not least, Aiko, Kōshitsu, Thaddeus, I would like to introduce you to my sisters in tutelage. The little purple squirt is Twilight Sparkle”, said Sunset, giving her sister a little hug as she squirmed. “And the princess next to her is Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, also known as Princess Cadance.”

Cadance grinned. “Please just call me Cadance,” she blushed.

“Pleased to meet you both. And sure thing Cadance,” greeted Aiko. Thaddeus and Kōshitsu bowed and smiled in greeting as well.

“So, with introductions made, I’d like to debrief you on what happened. Twilight, some of this I think you are too young to hear, so I may need to cover your ears. I don’t want to corrupt my adorable little sister,” she teased, holding her hooves over Twilight’s ears.

“Hey! Knock that off,” squeaked Twilight, twisting out of Sunsets' hold to sit on Aiko’s lap while pouting at her sister. “I’m plenty old enough to know about what happens when you go on an assignment. Stop it.”

“If you say so,” nodded Sunset. “If you get any nightmares from it though, tell me and I’ll hold you until they go away,” smiled Sunset, reaching over and smoothing her sister's mane. Twilight blushed and nodded.

“Okay, this will take awhile. We should all have some cake and tea, then I’ll begin,” stated Sunset, the housekeeper poured more tea for them all while they enjoyed their cake.


Sunset finished her report. Princess Celestia sat silently for a few moments digesting what she had heard. She got up, trotted over to Sunset and pulled her into a gentle hug.

“Sunset, I want to say how happy I am that you returned and survived everything you just related, and even more how delighted I am to meet your friends, especially Aiko. I ‘m delighted you were able to find and rescue her after all she has been through,” said Celestia,. Releasing Sunset she hugged Aiko as well, then returned to her seat.

“That said, I have a few comments and suggestions based on what you’ve reported. Sunset, you are a brave and courageous mare. Not many would have the tenacity, bravery, or fortitude to endure what you did to save your friend. But, I am concerned that at several points you showed a distinct lack of reluctance in the taking of other lives.

“I am not saying you were wrong or in any way implying that you shouldn't have done so. In combat we are often faced with circumstances where taking the life of another is our only reasonable choice. You were in combat, where not just your life was on the line but the lives of others you were protecting. For those reasons I beg you to take this correction in the spirit it was intended. Not as a rebuke, but as gentle advice from somepony who cares for you, and doesn't want to see you make some of the same mistakes she did.

“While you should never hesitate to do what you must in the heat of battle, sometimes it’s better to capture than to kill. Several times in the tale you just told me, you did exactly that and it does my heart good to hear it. Mercy is always the best choice when it’s an option. What you did with those bandits and with the ronin when you first dealt with them, that warms my heart.

“And during your efforts to save yourselves and fellow shipmates from the pirates that attacked, murdered, and took captive the guests and crew of your ship, you really had no choice but to dispatch them as quietly and efficiently as possible if you wanted to successfully overcome them.

“Except that last group. You had them knocked out. They were completely at your mercy. You had available cells you could have used just below decks, admittedly full of prisoners about to be released. You could have put them all into a cell and let the prisoners free. But instead, you pitched them all over the deck rails and into the sea. Why? Why did you not spare their lives and take them prisoner?”

Sunset looked troubled while thinking about what she’d done. She looked up at the Princess then answered. “I see what you mean. At that point, my only thoughts were to keep a low profile, and as part of that I wanted the Captain and his XO to be the ones that liberated the imprisoned passengers and crew. But I had already been a very visible and active part in the liberation of the passengers in the dining hall. They had already seen my and Aiko’s part in that battle. And my part was admittedly hard to miss. I’m not bragging, but flames over half the room do tend to be noticed. So clearly my thinking was flawed at that point. There was no harm if I had just set the prisoners free and taken the last of the crew captive. I made a mistake. I’m sorry.”

“My dear Sunbeam, there is nothing to be sorry for,” smiled the Princess, stepping forward and placing a hoof on her daughter’s shoulder. “You made a call in the midst of battle and saved the lives of many of your fellow passengers and crew. You didn’t make a mistake. You just missed an opportunity to show mercy where you could have. Call it a learning experience. Never hesitate in your actions, but always tend towards mercy where and when you can.

“You were ruthless when you needed to be. You ended without hesitation the predations of a horrid killer. You terminated the yak-uza bosses and underlings when they tried to kill you without hesitation or remorse. You have a reputation that I whole-heartedly approve of, one that earned you the nickname pony-oni. A fearsome reputation is actually a great boon to a warrior. It lets your opponents know before they face you in battle, they are better off not opposing you. In that you have done well in my estimations. Well done my dear student.

“There is one other topic I need to raise. I must warn you about vengeance. As a creature of harmony I know it’s not something you would normally think of, as vengeance is antithetical to harmony, even more so than discord. But as your quests take you to other lands you will be faced with it soon enough, if you have not had to face it already.

Vengeance has no part in harmony. As an Equestrian Mage and a Creature of Harmony, you should have no truck with vengeance. The Maker Herself has warned us through Her countless teachings that those who take up the cause of vengeance have laid down Her cause, and made strangers of themselves to Her. We do what is right and fight for what is just. But we must never allow ourselves to take up the cause of vengeance.

“If another has insulted us it’s right to correct them, and to inform them they’ve given us a slight. All are endowed with the dignity of life by the Maker, and are worthy of respect. But having informed the other of the slight, offering your correction in the spirit of love and friendship, that must be the end of it. If the other continues to slight us we may avoid them, but we cannot avenge ourselves on them. Our dignity is not so important that we should slight our Maker. She loves us even in our imperfections, so we must tolerate the imperfections of others, accepting with humility others' slights just as our Maker accepts our own in Her Love.

“If the offense is not just a slight, but an actual injury? We’re justified in defending ourselves and protecting those in our care, but not in returning the injury, not in visiting the consequences we decide on others for their actions against us. We defend ourselves. We defend those we protect. But we do not take vengeance on those who’ve hurt us.

“There is one exception to this and one only. The state may demand certain restitutions for injury, or war, from other states or individuals. These judgments often look like vengeance. But the state exists for the protection of its citizens and must balance its actions in the world that surrounds it. Prosecuting a just war may seem vengeance but it often is the only recourse to protect the state and its citizens. But if the judgment is vengeance, woe to the head that wears the crown, for she who makes that decision will not impress her Maker. Better to do nothing than to prosecute a war of vengeance.

“So, never avenge yourselves or those you protect. As the sword of the state, punish what the state proscribes. Protect what the state cherishes. And protect yourselves. But never avenge.” Celestia looked not just to Sunset but to Aiko, Twilight, and Cadance as well. She wanted them all to hear this.

Twilight watched with eyes wide, drinking in everything she heard. Looking thoughtful, Cadence nodded slowly while thinking of her own experiences facing the witch when she earned her horn. Aiko nodded as well, recognizing the wisdom in the Princesses’ words.

Sunset bowed her head, reflecting on her choices.


Sunset sipped her tea, her cup held in her telekinesis as she looked over the table, watching everyone quietly discuss her report and the Princesses’ reply. Celetia looked over, watching her drink.

“Take a picture, it’ll last longer,” snarked Sunset.

Celestia grinned. “Yes, you’re back. Sunbeam, as much as I like fancy jewelry, what’s up with your horn?”

“Yeah, that,” Sunset sighed. “It’s an inhibitor ring. My owners thought it should look pretty so it wouldn’t scare off the clients. It’s permanently a part of my horn now because the plotholes epoxied it on, and the resin worked its way into the keratin. I’m not sure I can even remove it without permanently damaging my horn.”

“Yet you’re still using your magic,” noted Celestia.

“Yeah, it’s something Twilight and I learned. Magic can be cast through any of the tribe's channels, not just horns. It’s extremely inefficient, and not easy. But, it’s what I have to do now and I’ve certainly had lots of practice,” quipped Sunset.

Rising from her chair Celestia trotted over and examined Sunset’s horn. Her crimson glow engulfed Sunset’s horn while she examined the ring and its bond. Sunset squirmed slightly. “Mom, I can feel that. It, uh, tingles,” she blushed.

“That’s good! It means that the nerves and mana channels are still functioning”, encouraged the Princess. “I see what you mean about the epoxy. They clearly intended this to never come off. I’ll check with our medical staff, maybe they can come up with something. If nothing else though I can remove the iron from the ring and at least remove the inhibitor. That should help considerably. Though removing the ring might weaken the keratin beneath it given the way they did this.” Celestia groaned. “Just seeing this on you makes me want to geld someone,” she seethed.

“I can relate,” mused Sunset. “If I’d known just how badly this was going to mess up my horn I might have fought them on it.”

“Live and learn, Sunbeam. But you overcame it and I am proud of you,” noted Celestia, continuing to examine her horn. “I’ll speak with the doctors. Maybe we can find something to try this evening. In the meantime, I’m sure Twilight and Cadance would love to join you in showing your friends their rooms and having a little bonding time. Welcome back, my little Sunbeam.” Celestia gave her a hug and a smile.

“We’re done here girls. Welcome to Equestria! And welcome back, Sunbeam. We’ll all meet back for dinner. I have some affairs I need to attend to so I’ll see you all then!” With that Celestia nodded and left.

“Wow! Princess Celestia really does act like your mom!” grinned Aiko. “You’re so lucky!”

“Yeah, she’s just like that. She loves everyone,” agreed Sunset. “So, let’s go see your rooms.” Sunset led them all out, and down the hall towards her, Twilight, and Cadance’s rooms. When they were in the residential hall, she led them into her room.

“Welcome to Casa de Sunset!” greeted Sunset with a grin. “We hang out here a lot, but Twilight and Candance’s rooms are right down the hall. I suspect yours are as well. Let’s ring for service and find out.” She pulled a small cord near the door, and a moment later one of the maids appeared.

“Welcome back, Miss Shimmer. How can I help you?” she asked.

Sunset smiled. “These two friends of mine will be staying for the night, and need a room. Are there rooms available for them? Also, my friend Aiko here has enlisted as a Battle Mage, and will be training and living with us from now on, so she needs a permanent room close by, if you can please accommodate that.”

“Of course. I will arrange that immediately,” the maid replied, leaving the room. Aiko, Kōshitsu, and Thaddeus looked around the room, admiring the finery.

“What’s in here?” asked Kōshitsu, pointing to the door at the side of the room.

“That’s the water closet. Baths, bidets, and beyond. Seriously, it has a bath large enough for all of us, two bidets in stalls, and two sinks with full mirrors. And enough counter space for three mares worth of cosmetics and creams, as we can vouch for from experience. Go ahead and take a look if you want,” answered Sunset.

Kōshitsu opened the door and walked in, so Aiko, Thaddeus, and the rest followed. Wow,” said Kōshitsu. “This is even more opulent than the most refined suite on the 優雅なアホウドリ (Yūgana ahōdori - The Graceful Albatross).”

“Well, it is a suite in the Palace,” grinned Sunset. “Can do a lot more in a palace than you can in an airship.”

“Still though, wow,” restated Kōshitsu. “So, when we do we try out that pond?”

Sunset laughed. “We can try out the tub after dinner if you want. It would be nice to take a soak.” Everyone agreed, even Thaddeus, so it was decided. They returned to the suite, then drifted out to the balcony.

“Okay, even this is huge. You could berth an airship off this,” noted Thaddeus.

“I’m pretty sure Princess Celestia would frown on that,” smirked Sunset. “But if you want to test it we could sneak your ship up here.”

“Yeah, pass on that,” laughed Kōshitsu. “I like my job. That would be an instant career ender.”

“Maybe we could try buying the pirate ship that we captured and dock it here,” smirked Aiko.

Sunset turned to her. “Hmm…”

I was just kidding! I just got here, don’t make the Princess mad at me on the first day,” Aiko laughed.

Kōshitsu and Thaddeus laughed as well. “I can totally picture that,” grinned Kōshitsu.

“Don’t encourage her,” laughed Aiko. “She gets into enough trouble on her own.”

The maid returned, calling out to them. “Miss Shimmer, your guests' rooms are ready. Please, would you all come with me,” she informed them. They returned to the room and followed her out and down the hall.

“Hey, that’s my room,” said Twilight, pointing to the room next to Sunset’s.

“And that’s mine,” stated Cadance, pointing across the hall.

“And this room will be yours, Miss Aiko,” stated the maid, opening the door of the room next to Cadance’s.

Aiko poked her head in. “Hey, it looks just like yours does,” she noted to Sunset.

“Yeah, they’re all very similar. You have to personalize them if you want them to look much different,” noted Twilight.

And these will be your rooms,” noted the maid, opening the next two doors. Kōshitsu and Thaddeus each quickly picked one of the rooms and put their stuff inside, returning to the hall with the group.

“If that is all, it’s almost time for dinner. If you would be so kind, please join the Princess in her private dining hall.” stated the maid as she led them out of the residential wing towards the Princesses quarters.

“So, where is the Princess’s dining hall?” asked Aiko as they followed.

“It’s where we usually all eat together. It’s near the kitchens on the far side of the Princess’s wing. It’s actually not too far from our quarters, which is uncommon in the castle. I’ve been all through it and I can vouch for the rumor that it really is as large and complex as some small cities. There’s levels here I bet most ponies never even thought of,” answered Sunset.

“Wow, you’ve been all over the castle and it’s really that complex? How’d you manage that?” asked Thaddeus.

Hearing that, the maid chuckled quietly. Sunset groaned.

Aiko grinned on seeing her friend's reaction. “Why am I not surprised? You have a reputation for sneaking around, right? I’m shocked!” she laughed sarcastically.

I like knowing things. What can I say, I’m a curious mare,” stated Sunset imperiously.

“You are definitely the most curious mare I’ve ever met,” agreed Aiko, smirking.

“I’m not sure that was a complement,” noted Sunset with a grin.

“Oh no, it definitely was,” confirmed Aiko, still smirking.

Cadance laughed at them both. “Sunset, I think you’ve finally met your match,” she grinned.

“Yes, she has,” agreed Aiko. Sunset joined their laughter.

Several moments later they entered the dining room, taking seats to wait for the Princess.

Author's Note:

Sunset and Aiko, sisters of the Zebrican Arts, return to Equestria. And bring some friends.
Edit: 2023/02/11 - Some minor updates, I messed up on Major Tailwind, the mare. :facehoof: Fixed now! :rainbowlaugh: