• Published 12th Aug 2022
  • 272 Views, 2 Comments

Kaiser - MellowSoul



Twilight helps Spike find a reason to exist.

  • ...
 2
 272

Brothers in Arms (Part 1)

Author's Note:

Knowing the group didn't have anywhere to go, Vanilla invited Twilight, Spike, and Maple back to her place for the night.

"I'm sure mom would be happy to see you again. It's been a while since we've had a sleepover."

"Are you sure," Twilight asked, "We wouldn't wanna impose."

"Absolutely. I'm dying to hear what you've been up to the last few years."

"What do you guys think?" the Alicorn questioned her companions.

"I say we go for it." Maple agreed.

"What the hell," Spike concluded, "I'm curious to see what a normal girl's room looks like anyway."

"That sounds super creepy." Vanilla pointed out.

"Oh, no, " Spike apologized, I didn't mean it like that! I just meant you could probably tell we're more into the dark stuff. Twilight was never one for chick flicks or pop music."

"Well, you're in luck. That's like our whole thing."

"Maybe we can trade info. Teach each other somethin'."

"Sure. No harm in trying, I guess."

Vanilla paced forward, leading her friends back home. The trio followed at a distance so they could talk in private.

"(That was close)," Maple murmured, "(I didn't think you'd let your guard down enough to make a mistake like that.)"

"(Sorry)," Spike replied, "(Guess I was overwhelmed seeing her after so long.)"

"(Try to be more careful. I'd rather not have to visit you in jail.)

"(Tell me about it.)"


Vanilla opened the door to her house. It was a modest two-story building not uncommon in the suburbs. The inside was decorated with paintings and general decor one would expect to find in such a place.

"Mom, I'm home!" Vanilla called out.

"In here, dear!"

The group headed toward the kitchen where her mother had begun cooking dinner.

"We brought company."

The elder mare nearly dropped their plates. That face...Could it really be...!?

"Spike!?"

"Hello." The dragon stated, smiling warmly. It really was him.

"Where have you been!? I was worried sick when we didn't see you in town all these years."

"Sorry to worry you. I left town after the ice cream debacle. My sister Twilight was studying at the university here at the time. I got homesick and decided to go back after everything went down."

"That would explain the mysterious disappearing act. You must've felt like that for a while."

"Yeah. I graduated high school a few months ago. Me and Twilight are taking a trip across the country to help clear my head."

"Is everything okay?"

"Not sure to be honest. Over the years we kind of parted ways with our friends. It left me feeling lost and hopeless. Twilight figured seeing the world would help me find a sense of purpose that was uniquely mine."

"I agree. Sometimes expanding our horizons is all we need to break out of our shells. You've grown into a fine young man."

"Thank you for saying so. I'm trying anyway."

"Dad in his office again?" Vanilla asked.

"Yes. Would you mind fetching him for me?"

"Sure."


Over dinner, Vanilla's father got acquainted with the dragon. Having never met before, he found himself curious how a young child could possess such a heart of gold.

"Back when Laura and Vanilla first told me about you, it seemed so unreal. The way they described you sounded almost comically absurd, but it was all true."

"I definitely wasn't your typical kid at the time. I'd been living my life in this weird in-between state bordering optimism and nihilism. As time went on, the former became consumed by the latter. I was lost in a dark place for years. I wanted nothing more than to disappear, and as far as the world was concerned, I may as well have been dead."

"Your teens and twenties aren't easy. You're fresh off the block trying to find your place in the world, and your hormones and brain are still in overdrive. Your frontal cortex doesn't even fully develop until about twenty-five. Based on what you've told me, you're finding your place now."

"Sorry to put all this on you. I know it's a lot."

"You were kind to my family when you had no reason to be. The least I can do is offer some advice."

"I appreciate it. So far our experience on the road's been positive. I'm grateful for what's transpired up to this point."

"That's good to hear. Hopefully things will continue to improve over the course of your journey."

"Thank you."


On the second story, in Vanilla's room, Spike showed her their music from the old days along with his comic series.

"This stuff is pretty cool. You should rewrite the comic as a novel. There's lots of room for detail."

"Ya think?"

"Yeah. I've never seen a superhero story built around music before, especially this metal stuff. It's really different."

"You should check out the games we used to play. Emulation's pretty popular online these days."

"Sure. Send me a list and we'll check 'em out when we have time."

"Anyway, that's enough about us. What have you been up to all this time?"

"Just the usual teen stuff - hanging out with friends, going to school, listening to music and so on."

"Hopefully you don't make the same mistake I did. I took it for granted and it all passed me by. I don't want to see you fall into the same fate."

"I'm not worried. Wanna know why?"

"Why?"

"'Cause when it's over we'll still have you."

Spike was touched and surprised by this unexpected sentiment. It sounded like something he'd hear from an adult: not a teen in her sophomore tenure.

"You're the link that ties our worlds together. We all have traits that make us special. Yours is the ability to connect people from all walks of life. It's one of the rarest skills out there. Treasure it."

"Damn. That's deep. You sure you're not on acid?"

"May as well be."

This was enough to elicit a hearty laugh from the dragon. Twilight, Maple and the others joined in as well. For a moment, the tension lifted, and the feeling of youth returned. Maybe parting ways wasn't the end after all.


Vanilla picked out a movie. She made popcorn and stocked the group up on concessions to make it more enjoyable. It was Spike's first time watching films most dudes would consider girly, but he didn't mind. If it helped take his mind off the pain, he'd take it. He didn't need to be macho all the time to feel secure in his masculinity. Vanilla took the opportunity to tease him and Maple.

"If you and your girlfriend wanna do it, it's cool. Just 'cause our folks don't want us foolin' around doesn't mean we can't watch."

"You're nuts, ya know that?"

"Why else would we wanna see yours?"

"Crazy..."

"And don't you forget it, bitch."