• Published 12th Aug 2022
  • 272 Views, 2 Comments

Kaiser - MellowSoul



Twilight helps Spike find a reason to exist.

  • ...
 2
 272

Beaten Path (Part 2)

Author's Note:

"A SIGH FROM THE LIPS OF HER MOUTH NOW ESCAPES! A BLINK FROM THE LASH OF HIS EYE NOW PLACATES, BUT THE TEARS FALL LIKE RAIN SPEWED UPON ARID GROUND, AND THE STORM CLOAKS THE FERVOR OF LOVE THAT ABOUNDS! I SLEEP BENEATH A SKY SUFFUSED WITH BLACK! SHE WHISPERED IN MY EAR, "'WILL LOVE BE BACK!?'"

Spike lit a fire to keep the group warm. Now that they were further north, the temperature fluctuated significantly more between day and night. He held Maple in his arms while Twilight sat across from the pair.

"Wanna tell us where we're going now?" the dragon asked, slightly annoyed after being strung along.

"It's a surprise."

"It'll be worth the wait," Maple promised, "I'll give you a hint, though. It's somewhere you know well."

"Somewhere I know?" the dragon questioned.

"Try to think. Where did a significant part of your life take place?"

Spike thought back to an era of his life that seemed so distant now. The walls...The gray carpeting...The desk...

"You don't mean...!?"

"Mm-hm."

The dragon gazed down, eyes wide and mouth agape.

"Holy crap..."

"You remember now?" Twilight questioned.

"Yeah...That was where everything started..."

"You wanted to know how I knew your mental state was deteriorating. That year was my first clue. That's why I tried so hard to make you happy. I couldn't just sit back and watch my baby brother fall apart - no way in hell."

Spike sighed again. He felt horrible dragging his sibling away from home.

"I'm sorry, Twilight."

"What for?"

"You sacrificed so much for me, and I took it for granted. I'm a horrible brother."

"You really think you were that much of a burden?"

"Wasn't I?"

"What you saw was the bare minimum of what I was willing to do. I would've died for you, because that's what family does. That never changed."

"Even still, I'm cutting into time you should be spending with Flash and Nova. They need you most right now."

"We'll be seeing them soon. Don't be so hard on yourself. Everything will be all right."

"Yeah...You're right."

"I'll tell you what: after we get there, I'll stay home for a while and you can ask Shining to tag along. I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"What about Flurry? Doesn't she need help with homework?"

"Leave that part to me."

"Then I guess...It's a plan."

"No more feeling guilty for needing help. Deal?"

"Deal."

Spike shook his sister's hoof over the fire. The Alicorn groaned, stretching her limbs from exhaustion.

"Well, I guess we should turn in. Big day tomorrow. You guys don't mind waiting until we get there to have some private time, do you?"

"Not at all." Maple stated.

"I think I can wait a bit longer to get it up again." Spike joked.

"All right," Twilight concluded, "Night, guys."

"Night."

Spike put out the fire with a few handfuls of dirt. The trio tucked themselves into their makeshift shelters, closing their eyes to wait for morning...