• Published 24th Dec 2011
  • 2,448 Views, 38 Comments

Doctor Whoof : Day of Discord - Muleicous



The Doctor finds himself in a strange land, ocupied by Ponies, and in need of help

  • ...
4
 38
 2,448

(Part 1) Mark of the Mule

Mark of the Mule

“Derpy, I have a question.” The Doctor looked up at his new companion, who was flying next to him, “Can all ponies fly?”

“Only pegasi,” the pony replied, noticing that her new friend kept trying to jump in the air, “you arn’t a pegasus Doctor, you’re a ground pony.” The Doctor stopped his attempts at flying, looking a bit envious of Derpy’s grey wings. Still, it was better that he was a pony and not a human right now, and he had a feeling being a dragon wouldn’t have helped much either.

“Exactly where are we going?” the time lord asked, his feet... no, not feet, hooves,.. where killing him for the past five minutes. They had been walking through this Everfree Forest (as Derpy called it) for at least three hours, and he hadn’t even eaten a slice of toast.

“Ponyville, it’s the town I live above and deliver mail to. You’ll be able to find food and stuff there.” the pegasus rolled her eyes, which for a moment weren’t crossed, at The Doctor. For a pony who acted so smart, he was pretty dumb when it came to basic knowledge. I mean, what pony doesn’t know about the three types of ponies?, Derpy thought, Or that they where in Equestria? Or even that they where a pony, for Celestia’s sake!

“And there are more ponies in Ponyville correct?” The Doctor asked, “Well, that was a stupid question. It’s called PONYville after all. I mean if they called it Dragonville it wouldn’t make since, but Ponyville, now that’s just obvious.”

“Can I ask you something?” Derpy interrupted, giving The Doctor time to nod, “Do you ever stop talking? You’ve been going on and on like that for the last hour.”

“Well,” The Doctor lifted his head, rubbing his chin with his hoof, “no not really.” The time lord stood there for a while, Derpy landed and stared at him as she wondered what exactly her friend was thinking of.

“Um... We should probably keep going...” the pegasus poked him with her hoof tip, becoming a little worried when he didn’t move, “Doctor? Hello... We need to get to Ponyville before it gets dark. Otherwise, we mite run into something pretty mean.”

“Wha... What? Oh, oh right... Sorry.” The Doctor shook his head and started walking again, not realizing that he had even spaced out.

***

A few moments later, the two had finally made it to Ponyville. The small town looked beautiful surrounded by the orange light of the setting sun, and it even made The Doctor forget about his aching hooves for a little while. On a regal platform in the center of town stood a tall white pony with wings, a horn, and a flowing rainbow mane.

“Who is that?” The Doctor asked, noticing the buff looking ground ponies in gold armor around the taller pony. “She looks like a queen.”

“That’s Princess Celestia,” Derpy answered, “she rules Equestria with her sister, Princess Luna.” As soon as the sun went down, a smaller dark blue pony stepped infront of the white one. The Doctor assumed that this was Luna, mostly because as soon as the princess’ horn lit up the moon rose. The time lord couldn’t believe what he was seeing, but these two ponies where controlling the sun and moon... Controlling time. Suddenly, Derpy jumped high in the air, her crossed eyes wide as she looked at The Doctor’s flank. His cutiemark, an hourglass, had flipped and the sand had started to flow until both part of it where half full. The Doctor turned and looked at his new companion, quickly pulling out his Sonic Screwdriver from his jacket and aiming it around with his teeth.

“What is it Derpy? What’s wrong? Where’s the danger?” the ground pony asked, his eyes never leaving the alleys of Ponyville.

“Y...your cutiemark...” Derpy began, “it...It’s...” Suddenly, Derpy’s eyes moved to a bouncing pink pony, who was staring at The Doctor like he was a Hearth’s Warming Eve present about to be unwrapped.

“Hi, are you new? My name’s Pinkie Pie,” the excited pony began, her voice making a new pony record for speed talking, “I like parties, some people call me the welcome wagon of Ponyville. You like parties? Do you want me to throw you a welcome party? What’s your name? Do you like chocolate or vanilla cake?”

“Uh...” The Doctor stood, dumbfounded by the speed of Pinkie’s speech, “Chocolate...”

Pinkie gasped, “Me too! I definitely have to throw you a party! Come on! Follow me!” the pink pony then started to bounce away, singing what The Doctor could only assume was a strange song about making cupcakes. The time lord looked over at Derpy, his eyes now wide with shock.

“That was Pinkie Pie,” the pegasus explained, “she likes parties.”

“Yeah... I got that...” The Doctor slowly followed the party pony, hoping that the party was going to be just him, Pinkie Pie, and Derpy.

***

As The Doctor and Derpy walked into Sugarcube Corner, a whole chorus of surprise’s filled the air. Within five minutes of meeting The Doctor, Pinkamina Diane 'Pinkie’ Pie had invited thirty-eight ponies to his welcoming party, and fifty had arrived for it. The time lord’s jaw dropped as he looked at all the sweets that covered the tables, not to mention all the ponies rushing towards him and greeting him. There was even a small, toothless alligator that had an affinity for dancing.

“This is the best party I’ve been to!” The Doctor cried out, dancing next to Gummy, “And this little guy is amazing!” The party was in full swing until about midnight, when only The Doctor and Derpy remained with Pinkie and her pet. As the moon sank higher into the sky, the two finally made their way out of Sugarcube Corner.

“Whee!” Derpy flew circles in the air, giggling, “That was one of Pinkie’s best yet! I mean, did you see how big that cake was?”

“Bigger then both of us combined!” The Doctor laughed, a bit of frosting on his cheek. The two walked to the Quick Trot Inn to get a room for The Doctor, and call it a night.
***

The two ponies entered the inn, a roaring fire greeting them and fighting off the cold of the fall winds. Derpy went to the inn keeper, a pony with a bushy mustache and a light blue coat, to negotiate a room price; meanwhile, The Doctor sat next to the fire, trying to shake off the giant pieces of Pinkie Pie’s welcome cake he had eaten.

Then, slowly, from the corner of the inn, crept a shadowy figure who had entered town that day.

“Hello,” said the green capped colt, “you look new in town too, Mister...”

“The Doctor... Just The Doctor,” said the time lord, smiling at the colt, “And you are?”

“Call me Blackspine.” he answered, moving his cape to reveal a cutiemark in the shape of an open black book. “I’m just a librarian here in Ponyville for a little rest. What about you Doctor?” Blackspine looked down at The Doctor’s cutiemark and gasped softly. Either this pony’s a clock maker, the colt thought to himself, or I could have a bit of trouble with this one.

“Well, I work with Derpy over there.” the pony pointed to his new friend as he lied, “I time her deliveries.”

“I see...” Blackspine glared at The Doctor, smelling the lie fill the air as the two stood, “I believe you and I will see each other again soon, my friend.”

“Yes...” The Doctor knew his lie hadn’t worked, after all the years of traveling and covering his identity the time lord knew what a person (or pony) looked like when they didn’t believe him. Just as Blackspine walked up the stairs to his room, Derpy returned to The Doctor’s side and smiled.

“Ok,” she began, “it took a while, but I was able to get a good price on a room for you on the first floor.”

“Well, that’s good... wait,” The Doctor looked at his companion with his eyebrow raised, “ponies use money?”

“Well duh,” Derpy said, rolling her eyes again, “where have you been living? In another universe?”Before The Doctor could answer, an orange pony with a Stetson on her head, and three apples for a cutiemark ran through the door.

“Twilight...” Applejack panted, trying to catch her breath from the run to the inn, “Twilight... she’s... needs a doctor.”

“My friend, he’s a doctor! Come on!" Derpy said as she rushed forward, dragging her new friend by the hoof as she headed towards the library. Finally, the two reached the library and they burst through the doors. Derpy was the first to see Twilight Sparkle, and the pegasus would go on to say it was the most horrible sight she had ever witnessed. The Doctor approached the unicorn, and frowned. He put his hoof on her cheek and shook his head.

“I’m sorry.” The time lord said, “I’m so very, very sorry...” He looked into Twilight’s eyes and saw they where frozen in pure horror. Her mane’s color had turned a shade a dull grey, her horn and chipped, and the poor unicorn’s body was stiff as a board... as stiff as a corpse. The Doctor turned to Derpy, who was shaking in the door way staring at Twilight, and pulled her so she wasn’t facing the petrified unicorn. “Derpy, I promise that I’ll find who did this to her. I’ll find them and make them pay.”

“Doctor... What about Spike?!” the pegasus flew up the stairs and sighed with relief. The baby dragon was safe and sound in his bed, snuggled up with his favorite blanket. As The Doctor joined his friend, he smiled softly to himself, not because Spike was ok but because he had learned something about whoever cursed Twilight Sparkle. The pony who hurt her was only interested in the unicorn herself... But why?

***

Blackspine smiled as he stared into the small bowl of water, a gold tiara with a large purple gem next to it. In the bowl, a pair of bright yellow eyes looked back up at the colt, a black pupil in one and a red pupil in the other.

“So,” a weak voice radiated from the bowl, “you got the Element of Magic first? Impressive Blackspine, even I had trouble getting Twilight Sparkle to give up all hope.”

“Then it’ll make you feel better when I tell you that I had to use a little bit of you... 'advice’ on her.” Blackspine chuckled as he pushed the tiara into a small sack by the table. “Now, Master, which should I go for next?”

“Let’s just say... you’ll get a kick out of her.” The voice began to laugh wildly at it’s own joke, then suddenly the water drained from the bowl. Blackspine looked out his room’s window to Sugarcube Corner.

“Well then... It’s party time.”

(authors note: Happy Holidays)