• Published 27th Aug 2022
  • 529 Views, 8 Comments

Cozy Glow That Time Forgot - 5u0myn0n4



Cozy Glow awakens from a deep slumber, and finds an opportunity to rewrite history. She seeks to destroy the very first Hearth's Warming Eve, but winds up getting more than she bargained for.

  • ...
4
 8
 529

Part 1

Cozy Glow slowly awoke. As she opened her eyes, and regained consciousness, the first thing she felt was that it was very cold. The next thing she realized was that she was half buried in snow.

She popped her head up, and indeed it was snowy, which meant there was at least water in this world. Cozy sat up, and saw there were trees too, which meant there was life!

Cozy took in her surroundings. It looked like an ordinary snowy landscape. Nothing like the dead landscape she was in previously. She stood up and ran around, simply glad to be in a more lively time. She even tapped the trees, and touched her own face to make sure this was real. And it definitely was.

So then that meant that the time machine she had stolen worked. She successfully traveled back in time! But how far back was difficult to determine. Definitely before the desolate and lifeless time period she had awoken in, but that was a given. There wasn't much else to go off, and the owner of the time machine who helped her out seemed nowhere to be found, so she was on her own. The foliage looked the same as any other foliage would, past, present, or future. Cozy's biggest clue would definitely come from a little village nearby. From the outset, it looked quite crude in comparison to what Ponyville looked like. However, a closer look was needed to find out an answer.


Cozy snuck by a house on the outskirts, and swiped a filly size robe, and used the coat pocket to hold the box of matches she'd stolen from the traveler's ship. She figured it may get colder soon, and the combination of cloak and matches was sure to keep her warm.

Cozy wandered through the snowy streets of the town. The basic structures were an indicator that she might have gone too far back in time, which started to concern her. The only way to be sure was to ask the locals, or try to find a calendar or something.

Cozy walked slowly through the streets, and spotted a nearby earthpony all by themselves. She approached them with the intent to ask about her current whereabouts(and whenabouts?).

"Excuse me, sir. Would you mind helping a poor little pegasus in need?" she asked, with a big grin.

The earthpony gave her a glance, but continued to walk, and paid her very little mind.

"Well, that was rude." Cozy said to herself, feeling slightly peeved.

The next few ponies she tried all gave her much the same general response. Just a scoff, and a trot.

*Ugh* "What's with everypony here?" she wondered aloud. "Every... earthpony..."

Cozy started to realize that everypony she'd seen thus far was an earthpony. Say for these two fillies who seemed to be following her. One of them was a little unicorn, and the other a pegasus filly. I say "follow" loosely sort of. Cozy never saw them move their hooves, yet she managed to run into them on multiple instances.

"What are you two staring at, huh!?" she asked upon the third or fourth encounter.

They never spoke to her, but they did stare at her intently any time their paths crossed.

"Eh, suit yourselves." she said.

Cozy found them creepy, and refused to talk to them. Besides, what could a couple of weirdo fillies know? What was their obsession with Cozy anyway?

For the next normal pony she found, she wasn't going to let them off the hook so easily. Cozy was getting real tired of making no progress, so she decided to act a bit more abrasive.

"You there!" she shouted at a green earthpony with a hat.

Cozy made them nervous, and they started the other way slowly.

"Don't trot off without speaking to me! I've got some questions for you, miss!" Cozy shouted.

"Pfft. As if I'd give answers to a snooty pegasus." they said.

"So that's what this is all about?" Cozy asked. "Nopony's been talking to me because I'm a pegasus?"

"Quite. You want answers, kid? Fly back to your pompous cloud town." they said.

There was Cozy's first clue. The earthponies she spoke to all seemed very disinterested in speaking to a pegasus filly. So that was possibly why there were no unicorns or pegasi in this town.

As Cozy Glow was lost in her thoughts, she caught a glimpse of the pony attempting to wander off again.

"Hey! Come back here!" Cozy shouted.

"Would you quit your yapping, kid?" they said.

"Why won't anypony listen to me?! I tried being nice! I even tried being manipulative! But nopony will listen to me no matter what! Why's Everypony being such jerks? That's my gig! What's with the sudden bias against pegasus ponies?" Cozy asked.

"Sudden? Kid, this has been going on for some time, though I suppose everypony's especially on edge about the upcoming tribe meeting." they replied.

"Tribe meeting?" Cozy asked.

"Been living under the snow, kid? Somehow those awful pegasus and unicorn leaders convinced our prideful and cheery Chancellor Puddinghead to a meeting between our three tribes." they explained.

"Chancellor Puddinghead? Wait, is she meeting with... what were their names? I think it was Princess Platinum of the unicorns, and uh... Commander something. Commander Hurricane?" Cozy asked.

"Yep, that'd be them. So you are knowledgeable." they said.

"Me? Daww, you're the smart cookie, ma'am." Cozy said, sounding innocent.

"...How'd you know my name?" Smart Cookie asked.

"It was a... lucky guess, I guess." Cozy said, covering her tracks.

"So uh... how did you celebrate Hearth's Warming last year?" Cozy asked.

"Hearts warming? I don't know what you're talking about. Ain't nothing heartwarming lately." she said. "In fact, things seem to keep getting colder by the day."

That's when it dawned on Cozy Glow. She knew exactly what year she found herself in. The upcoming tribe meeting was very likely THE fateful meeting as told in the story of Hearth's Warming. Cozy found herself on the cusp of the very first Hearth's Warming Eve. The one where the three tribes met, disagreed, and would venture off to find their own new land, only to wind up fighting over the same plot of land, but would eventually find solace between them all when one member from each of the tribes united, and sparked the flame of friendship.

But while Cozy was thinking, she noticed the pony was wandering away from her again.

"Wait, you're just going to wander off?" Cozy asked.

"I got places to be, kid." Smart Cookie said.

"Well, what are you going to do? Isn't it cold? And aren't food rations running low?" Cozy asked.

"Hmm, those are valid concerns. What with the difficulty of growing crops in this weather, and feeding all three tribes." Smart Cookie pondered.

This was Cozy's opening to manipulate the earthpony tribe, via one of their most trusted members.

"You know, you earthponies work so hard to feed the three tribes. You do all the hard work, but are never properly rewarded." Cozy said.

"Okay..." Smart Cookie said, confused.

"So, if you wanna stick it to them where it hurts, you should cut off their food supply!" Cozy suggested.

Smart Cookie stared at her, confused. "Why would we do that?"

"It's called artificial scarcity! Pretend like there's a food shortage so you can double the price of food, but in actuality, you'll be hoarding most of it to yourselves! Heh, heh? It's a free idea. It's yours for the taking. Maybe run it by your chancellor and see how she likes the idea." Cozy said.

"Just leave me alone, kid. Go find one of your fellow pegasi to annoy. Maybe they'll want to listen to your weird ideas, and annoying voice." Smart Cookie said.

Smart Cookie wandered off, seemingly disinterested in Cozy's ideas. But their advice got her thinking.

"Hmm. Other pegasi who'll listen to me?" Cozy thought aloud.

"Well bye! Tell your Chancellor Puddinghead about some of my ideas!" Cozy shouted as they wandered off.

"No can do..." is what Cozy thought Smart Cookie said in the distance.

Cozy Glow took a step back and looked at the big picture. This was the eve of the very first Hearth's Warming's ever! A pivotal moment for the history of Equestria. The moment where tribes found friendship, and agreed to build society together, and would set the stage for Harmony and friendship to come years later.

"Tribal meeting, eh?"

Cozy pulled out her match box, and lit a single match.

"I've got a bright idea. It'd be a shame if none of that happened... hee hee hee."

She dropped the match into the snow and it fizzled out.


Cozy Glow flew up to the pegasus cloud city.

She flew through the town, but it was difficult to find anypony wandering about outside.
That was until she found a shy looking pegasus with armor. They seemed busy, as indicated by how they flew around frantically. But Cozy was never one to be courteous of anyone's time.

"You there!" Cozy exclaimed.

"GAH!" the orange pegasus was startled by Cozy's shout.

"Sorry, did I startle you?" Cozy said, in an apologetic tone.

"Oh, it's alright. How could I help you, little one?" the pegasus asked.

"Has Commander Hurricane left the town for the Hearth's Warming- I mean, the tribe meeting?" Cozy asked.

"Why no. But also, an oddly specific question." she replied.

"May I speak to them?" Cozy asked.

"Hmm... I don't know. As Private Pansy, Commander Hurricane's trusted... private, I don't wanna get in trouble for letting in some kid. Or worse, a spy." she said.

"Won't you please? I'm just such a big fan." Cozy said with a whimpering tone, and big cute eyes.

"Alright, kid." Pansy said with a hesitant, but happy smile.


Private Pansy brought Cozy Glow to Commander Hurricane's base. The base was decorated with decommissioned weapons, and strategies written on paper.

She approached the gruff looking pegasus, who was carrying their helmet on their side.

"Excuse me? Commander Hurricane, sir? Won't you help a fellow hungry pegasus?" Cozy asked.

"What's this? Another poor pegasus filly who has grown hungry, and cold, eh? Another victim of the earth ponies and their gluttonous habits." he said.

"Indeed I am. Please, you've got to do something. If those greedy unicorns and earthponies have their way, then more pegasi will starve!" Cozy, in a desperate tone. "You simply must help the pegasus ponies!"

"Well, that's the plan. When I see that unicorn princess, and that earthpony leader, I'm gonna give them a piece of my mind!" Commander Hurricane shouted.

"We're doing everything we can as is." Private Pansy added.

"But, is it enough?" Cozy asked.

"What do you mean?" Hurricane asked.

"What's your backup plan? What are you gonna do if they don't adhere to your demands? And you know they're stubborn and probably won't cooperate." Cozy said.

Commander Hurricane scratched his head.


Cozy Glow explained to the two pegasus soldiers her stance on the situation.

"So you're saying that the pegasi are best, and we shouldn't have to make a compromise with the other two tribes." Hurricane said.

"Mmm hmm." Cozy nodded.

"And that it's time those earth ponies shared fairly?" Private Pansy asked.

"Yeah, I think they ought to, I think you oughta demand that, oh I don't know, that the unicorns give up their magic! And should they refuse your demands, you have the brute force power to get your way!" Cozy said excitedly.

"Hmm. Force the unicorns to stop using magic?" Commander Hurricane pondered.

"By means of b-brute force?" Private Pansy said, worried.

"Yep. You guys have the strength to get your way. I think it's ripe time you stretch that right! Especially if the Princess and Chancellor aren't willing to compromise! If they don't wanna help, then what do you owe them? In fact, if push comes to shove, just take what you want from them!" Cozy said.

Private Pansy gasped in shock at the idea of stealing from the tribes.

"But, if that's too bullish for some of you, perhaps you could offer a trade." Cozy said.

"What do we have? The earthponies have all the food, and it's not like we can control this magic storm." Pansy said.

"Kidnapping!" Cozy exclaimed.

Private Pansy let out an even greater gasp, and nearly fainted.

"That's right! Make those unicorns pay for their disloyalty, by kidnapping one of their own, and holding them hostage, and in exchange for their safety, you should force them to give up their magic!" Cozy exclaimed.

"Ludicrous! We'd be putting the lives of so many pegasi at risk if we invoked any needless violence." Private Pansy said.

"Um... yes. But of course, Private. Such reckless acts should only come as a last resort, if at all." Hurricane said.

Private Pansy wasn't satisfied. She wanted to make sure Commander Hurricane would never carry out any of these ideas. So she gave them, the stare. The stare intimidated Commander Hurricane, and made him come back down to reason.

"I-I mean, has your brain frozen over, kid?!" Commander Hurricane said. "Everything you just suggested sounds like a mad pony's plan." Hurricane said.

"Mad pony? I'm just a humble idea pony. And, I get it. You don't wanna stir the pot if you don't have to. But desperate times call for extreme actions." Cozy said.

"Indeed they do, kid. Indeed they do..." Hurricane agreed. "Which is why... we've decided to recruit you into our army!"

"What?!" Cozy and Private Pansy exclaimed simultaneously.

"Yes, Private Pansy, I believe an F4-II order is in appropriate." Commander Hurricane said.

"Oh, yes! An F4-II." Private Pansy said, cheerfully.


Private Pansy attached a backplate to Cozy to suppress her wings.

"But how will I be able to fly if this thing is holding back my wings?" Cozy asked.

"We'll get back to that in a minute. Now, little Mosey, close your eyes, hold out your hooves." Commander Hurricane said.

"My name's Cozy, but sure!" Cozy said, excited.

"Now do us a favor and hold our munition." Commander Hurricane said.

Hurricane dropped a heavy boulder into Cozy's hooves.

"How heavy is, woah- AHHHH!!!!!!"

The rock was heavy enough that when Cozy held it, she sank through the cloud layer and fell from the sky.


Fortunately, during her free fall Cozy Glow kicked off the backplate, and fluttered her wings fast enough to slow her fall to a reasonable thud.

But the message was clear. She was unwelcome in the pegasus town.

She kicked her hooves in the dirty snow, furious.

"EH, WHO NEEDS 'EM?!" she shouted to herself. "I don't need an army! I befell an army all on my own!"

Cozy was once again alone. The only ones there to greet her were, somehow, the two stalker fillies from earlier.

"What are you two looking at? Were you waiting for me down here? Ya creeps!" she exclaimed. "What's your deal anyway?!"

The two fillies stared at each other, and then her, without saying any words.

"Still not talking? Whatever. Just stay out of my mane." Cozy said.

Cozy leaped out of the snow, and trotted off angrily.

Cozy had no idea when or where the tribal meeting was, so it wasn't like she could plan further ahead. For now, all she could do is hope that her words had an effect on the tribe members. But she would have to worry about that later, as for right now, the sun was going down, and the air was getting even chillier.


The next day, the winter storm was far worse. Temperatures dropped to record lows.

It was too cold to do anything. Every town had called on a blizzard warning, and deemed it too dangerous for anypony to leave town. She knew the fated meeting of the tribes was supposed to happen the day before, but unfortunately, she hadn't a clue as to how the meeting went. She had no idea if the six ponies were on their way to search for new land or not, and whether the storm would subside soon.

The winter storm continued to rage on, and ponies took shelter indoors. Those who had no shelter could only help but shiver outside, and wrap themselves in as much warmth as they could get ahold of. And unfortunately for Cozy Glow, she fell into the latter category. She was vulnerable during these stormy times, and struggled to find any shelter. She was already banned from the pegsus city, and just as before, no earthpony or unicorn was interested in helping her.

She kept her stolen robe, and wrapped herself in more stolen garments. She still had that pack of matches in her pocket. She held the match stick in her hoof, and used it to keep her warm in this cold climate.

Cozy shivered, as she slowed.

She wandered through the city, in an attempt to keep herself moving, as to not freeze in place.

She peered inside the bookshop, and saw a copy of a book titled, "A Very Snowy Ending". Whatever that meant. Not that it hardly mattered. She'd had all she could take, and could barely withstand the cold for much longer. Her heart pounded as her internal temperature dropped. She fell on her plot in an alleyway, where nopony could see her.

"Hmph. Doesn't matter when or where. Doesn't matter whether you act nice, or act vile. It's the same story. Nopony wants you around..."

As she moped, she felt her life fleeting from her.

*Brr* "It's freaking freezing. Where's my matchbox?"

Just one more match, to keep her warm through the night. The scene darkened, but she managed to light the flame. In doing so, seeing the bright fire in her eyes brought up flashbacks to events that happened in her past.


She imagined herself in the past. Err... her past, and remembered her time with Queen Chrysalis and Lord Tirek. She remembered the moment her pursuit of teamwork began. It started with some humble research in the School of Friendship's library. She knew she wanted power, but also that she likely couldn't achieve her ambitions alone. So she sought to learn as much about Equestria's greatest villains, and seeing who would be the easiest to communicate with. She settled on Lord Tirek. The ancient centaur sitting in Tartarus, with not much else to do. He seemed like a prime candidate for a partner in crime. His knowledge of how magic essence flowed through ponies proved invaluable for her pursuit of power. As she thought about them, her vision blurred, but once it refocused, she found herself climbing Mt. Everhoof with Lord Tirek, and Queen Chrysalis. The thing that made this memory stood out to her, was simply what a novel experience it was. Not just the physical exertion, or the bruises that were still visible on her body. It was the experience of helping other creatures and working together, working towards a common goal.

Looking back on it, she'd never felt more happy at any other point, and more complete than she did when she worked together with the two of them. After many attempts of getting them to work together, only to refuse, the fruits of their labor finally paid off when they put aside their differences, and used their individual strengths to work together to climb the mountain. From Tirek's strength, Chrysalis's flexibility, and Cozy's wits and small size, working together not only was more effective, but it also felt better somehow. For those brief moments at the top, after they succeeded, it was almost as though she finally found a sense of belonging. Bound together against a common enemy, but also in a common circumstance. It was either listen to Grogar, or suffer. But they were on the same page, and thus planned their own invasion of Equestria, but unfortunately, that narrow sighted notion was the beginning of their downfall. Nay, being recruited by Grogar in the first place, was the beginning of their downfall. Or was it simply when Cozy decided to actually carry out her magic erasing spell? Well, whenever her downfall began, it mattered not. Her desire for power is what got her here, and she was paying the ultimate price once again.

Although power was what she wanted most, she wondered if it was really worth it, and thought of what else she could've wanted, and how things could've been different. If her time working with Tirek and Chrysalis was any indicator, maybe there was something she wanted more than power, that she hadn't realized before...

But it didn't matter at this point. All that mattered now, was that everything she had, was all gone...

As the match dimmed, and her mind returned to the present, she was reminded that she was alone. There was still no sign of that mysterious time-traveling horse anywhere near, and nopony offered her any support.

Her vision faded, as she struggled to support her own weight.

"From a deserted wasteland hellscape, to a frozen hellscape about to freeze over. Guess this wasn't much of an improvement after all." Cozy said. "It seems no matter where you go, or when in history you are, the suffering and loneliness is inbound..."

She slowly collapsed, and fell face first into the snow. Too tired, too cold, and too hungry to even keep her eyes open for much longer. The last thing she saw before closing her eyes was those two fillies again.

"You two again... here to bury me? Good....."

Cozy Glow laid in the snow, and allowed for more snow to fall on top of her.

She dared not waste energy trying to imagine what happened to them, as that was impossible to figure out. She closed her eyes, and imagined being reunited with them. It's all she wanted at this point. Was to be with her friends...


"Are you okay, little filly?"

"Huh?"

Cozy Glow heard a familiar voice from the outside. She opened her eyes, and awoke.
She found herself wrapped in a warm blanket, and inside a cabin.

She saw she was in a little home full of lonely fillies, and one purple unicorn in a cloak.

"Thank goodness I found you when I did. You were freezing out in the cold of night all by yourself." said the adult pony who presumably helped Cozy.

Cozy was dazed and confused by all of this.

"Um... who are you?"

"Pardon me for forgetting the introductions. My name is Clover the Clever." they said.

"Clover... le Clever...?" Cozy said, half dazed. "Aren't you like, really important?"

"In a way, yeah. As Princess Platinum's assistant, normally I should be in the castle, but Princess Platinum ordered all of her subjects to return to their homes.

"Why do you think she did that?" Cozy asked.

"I can only infer that yesterday's meeting went horribly! I'd never seen her so upset before, but it makes sense. From what Princess Platinum told me, for some reason the pegasi were extremely aggressive! They hit the earthponies and unicorns with all kinds of accusations that weren't true! Where did they get the idea that the unicorns had a huge secret stash of food?" Clover explained. "And then Chancellor Puddinghead threatened to cut off food reserves entirely! She toyed with the idea of tripling the price of food! Why?!"

"Really?" Cozy asked.

"Princess Platinum could barely speak for herself, her subjects were upset too! Even crazier, towards the end of the meeting, the pegasi said they'd try again to fend off the storm, only if the unicorns agreed to never use magic again! Talk about a bad time!" Clover exclaimed. "I understand everyone's on edge because of the harsh storms, but knowing that our last shot at cooperation failed this spectacularly doesn't spell good news for the future."

Inside, Cozy grinned and beamed with excitement. It seemed that her plan to create tension between the tribes worked!
Clover was weirded out that Cozy was giggling to herself.

"Cozy?" they asked.

"Oh, sorry. So, what do we do now, Clover?" Cozy asked.

"I'm not sure. I already suggested to the princess that we venture out and try to establish a new settlement, far away from any earthpony or pegasus settlement, but she wasn't in the mood."

"Huh? No expansion? No travel?" Cozy asked.

"I'm afraid not. Even if we wanted to. The weather is far more fierce than I would've predicted. It's far too cold for anyone to venture out into nature. So it seems everypony from all three tribes is hunkered down for now, until the blizzard warning is over." Clover explained.

"Oh, golly. A blizzard?" Cozy asked.

"Yes. Hence why everypony's staying cooped up indoors. At least the ponies that can are. Not everypony is so fortunate. Just look outside." Clover said.

Cozy attempted to look through the frosted window. She breathed on it and rubbed it with her hoof.

Outside, she saw rows of ponies, old and young, freezing in the weather. Fillies huddled their parents for warmth.

"It absolutely just chills my heart seeing all these poor ponies suffering..." Cozy said, with her eyes sparkling.

"Mmm hmm. I saw you freezing out there, and I simply couldn't just leave you there." Clover said.

"Why'd you save me? And all these foals here. Aren't you gonna help those families freezing outside?" Cozy asked.

"I helped you, because you were all alone." Clover answered.

"Alone? Me?" Cozy said. "So does that mean all the other foals here are...?"

Clover nodded.

"I can't save everyone I'm afraid. I barely have any food for myself. And it isn't exactly toasty in here. But still, anything to help fillies who don't have anyone else looking out for them..." Clover said.

"How generous of you. Helping poor little orphan fillies endure the storm." Cozy said, half sincerely.

There was a loud knock at the front door.

"Hang on, let me get the door." Clover said.

Clover opened the door, and on the other side, was a hooded pony.

"Can I help you?" they asked.

The hooded pony simply stood there, and did not answer her. Suddenly, a mob of pegasi broke through the windows and invaded her home.

"What are you? Get away from me!" Clover cried. "What is going on!?

Through the front door, entered the pegasus leader, Commander Hurricane.

"Clover the Clever, you're under arrest!" Hurricane exclaimed. "If those unicorns won't give us what we want, perhaps they'll be willing to make a trade. The Princess will be sure to pay a huge bounty for your safe return!"

"You're kidnapping me!?" Clover exclaimed.

"Oh, wow. You guys took my advice." Cozy said to herself.

"Well, let's not waste any more time, fillies. To the field!" Hurricane said.

"But wait! My fillies!" Clover cried.

"To the field!" the pegasi army cried in unison.

"Cozy Glow! Help me!" Clover exclaimed.

"Meh. This is for you unicorns and pegasi to settle." Cozy said with a sinister smirk.

Clover gasped.

Cozy waved good bye as Clover was hoisted away.

The pegasus rioters left, but Cozy did not follow them. She watched as they carried Clover away. She could've followed them, but it wasn't necessary.

It seemed as though things were going exactly the way she planned after all. In fact, that's when Cozy realized the storm was extra powerful, because the tribe meeting went especially bad! Tension between the tribes was at a tipping point, which gave the Windigos more strength.

"I guess things are going according to plan after all." Cozy said to herself. "This could be a very good thing for me."

Cozy grinned thinking about how much fun it'd be enacting the next phase of her plan. But then Cozy realized something else.

"Wait... how did Clover know my name? I didn't tell them, did I?" she wondered.

The orphan ponies in the house stared at Cozy Glow, speechless.

"What are you all looking at?" she asked. "You've never seen a home invasion and kidnapping before?"

One of the orphans, a unicorn, started to weep. And then others followed suit.

"Ugh. Please don't cry." Cozy said. "Everything's going to be okay. Everything's going to get warm after the tribes beat themselves up, and I step in and unite everypony together!!"

...

"You're a meanie." one of the foals said.

Cozy slammed the door shut, and indeed left them behind.

Outside, where two familiar faces were outside to silently greet her. It was the unicorn and pegasus from earlier.

"You two again? If you're looking for Clover's make shift orphanage, it's in there. But you won't find Clover in there."

Cozy trotted past them and left them to be. The two stared at Cozy with pleasing discontent.


Cozy Glow trudged through the storm, and climbed a nearby hill, in hopes of finding the highest peak where she could observe the unicorn and pegasus tribes clash.

"This is perfect. No expedition to find new land, which means no flame of friendship." Cozy said to herself. "Just more conflict, and hopefully soon an outbreak of war between the unicorn and pegasus tribes! Oh this is just too good. The only thing that could make this better is if I still had access to the..."

At the top of the hill was somepony trying to fix a machine. Cozy recognized them as the time traveling pony who found her in the middle of the lifeless and empty future. So when Cozy stole the time machine, he did end up in the same period as her after all.

He was standing on top of the capsule, holding a magnifying glass pointed on its roof, attempting to concentrate sunlight. But unfortunately, the last bit of sunlight was covered by the storm clouds.

"Cursed solar powered time machine. Ugh. Huh?" the pony looked down, and saw Cozy Glow.

"Oh, it's you again." he said.

Cozy backed away slowly, worried if he was planning revenge about what happened earlier. But in spite of the fact that Cozy stole his time machine after he was generous enough to help.

"It's okay. No need to be afraid, I've cooled down, and I'm not angry, so long as you promise to behave yourself." he said. "You sure picked a grandiose time to get us stuck in. My solar powered time capsule can't recharge with all these clouds. This is one intense ice storm! I would've already frozen over if I didn't have my protection gem." he said, tapping the green gem on his coat.

"The protection gem... Uh, I mean, yes indeed it is. So... any luck fixing the time machine?" Cozy asked.

"Only just. While I would've liked to have a full charge before traveling again, there's only enough power though for one time warp. And since your timing is impeccable, and I'm feeling generous, I'll let you join me whilst I continue my investigation searching for the great force that caused the extinction of Equestria." he said. "We'll travel to some point in the future where I can stock up on more energy. Once we have that, we'll continue our investigation."

Cozy looked at them with sad eyes in order to sway his opinion.

"...and maybe consider sending you home." he added.

They looked up at the clouds, and quite the storm was brewing. The air was getting chillier. Vegetation was freezing solid over. It was getting dangerous being out in the open like this.

"Well, if you're coming, come on. The weather's getting worse." he said.

"Like, now?" Cozy asked.

"Yes. There's no use staying longer. Now come." he said.

The time traveler was about to enter the time machine, but Cozy looked off into the distance.

"Not coming?" he asked.

"In a moment. It's just..."

"You'll be frozen in a moment!" he shouted.

Cozy Glow looked over at the vista, and could see the three tribes marching towards one another. What she wouldn't give to see the three groups battle it out. But there was a lingering worry. Even with the extra tension she added, there was a chance that they could unite and light the flame of hearth's warming.

"You know, Mister Time Traveler, there's one thing about me that everypony should know about me." Cozy said.

"And what's that?" he asked.

"I make the plans." she said.

"What you have right here is an actual time machine! I'm going to use it to travel to exactly where I want in the future! Not too far ahead when nopony is... around. Just far enough into the future where everypony's spirits are crushed, and they all live sad and scared. That is when their savior will appear from a flash of light in the sky, and rule over all of them!"

"What are you rambling about now?" he asked.

"I'm not just rambling. I'm also claiming what now belongs to me." Cozy said, suddenly holding the the traveler's protective gem.

"What the? How did you?!" he tapped himself to be sure, and indeed, Cozy had taken it from him. "YOU insolent little BRAT! So you never do learn after all!" he exclaimed.

He pulled out his blaster, and pointed it at Cozy .

"WAH!!!" Cozy cried.

Cozy flinched and braced for impact, but before he could use the weapon, his forehooves had frozen over, and he dropped it.

"What the? NO! Give me back my gem! Without it, I am susceptible to the elements, and these creatures' magic! AAHHH!!!" he screamed.

Suddenly, the Windigos targeted the time traveler with their ice spell. He started to freeze from bottom top, until the when he completely froze over in ice. Cozy winced at the violent sight of watching him turn to ice. She wasn't sure why the Windigos attacked him so suddenly, but hey, a victory is a victory.

She now possessed this... weird device. Whatever it was, holding it made her feel warmer. So this was how the he managed to avoid freezing over in this weather. And now the gem would come in handy for Cozy, as it would protect her as things inevitably became colder as the tribes fought. But why stop there? Mister Traveler did leave behind his working time machine.

"Hmm. He said the time machine is functional..." Cozy said to herself.

Cozy giggled as she envisioned her master plan.

"With Hearth's Warming Eve ruined before it could even begin, and with the tribes on a course for war, the future sure is looking bleak for everypony. Which is why I shall travel into the future! Not so far into the future that everypony is gone. But far enough into the future that everypony is scared and defeated because of today's war." Cozy said to herself in a villainous speech.

"And when I appear in the future, from their perspective, a flash of light in the sky will appear. A new pony will descend, and she'll be their savior! She'll bring them salvation, and rule over them! That pony will be me! Their Empress of Friendship!!"

Cozy laughed as she was gearing up for the next phase of her plan. But before she went inside the time machine, a thought occurred to her. Something about Clover the Clever seemed really familiar, and she was bothered by this thought. And besides, although the tribes were on the brink of war, there was still no reason why Hearth's Warming couldn't still happen. If she went into the future now, she could very well end up in a future where Harmony and friendship come to fruition anyway.

"Hmph. I suppose there's still a chance that somepony could still light the Hearth's Warming flame and initialize the holiday, as per typical! Alright, pre-Equestria. I'll stick around a little longer. Only because I want to witness everypony's downfall myself. I'll just have to make sure that no pony ignites the Hearth's Warming flame!" Cozy exclaimed.

"And if you want the heat... oh I'll bring it, baby." she said, picking up the time traveler's blaster.