• ...
 0
 312

Dying Sunlight

For centuries, Celestia ruled her kingdom as she had sworn to do so long ago. Equestria had never been so prosperous. And that prosperity was well kept under the watchful eye of the benevolent princess.

No matter where one went in the kingdom of Equestria, the tenets of friendship were followed, and there was nopony with a major sorrow that couldn’t have been solved by the ponies they cared about the most. Adventures were shared among groups of friends all over the kingdom, learning from their experiences and strengthening the bond between them ten, fifty, a hundred times over.

The wounds of the past had healed. But the scars would forever remain.

Celestia never allowed herself to grow so close to anypony again. Her life was lived solving friendship problems, but never having friends. Even though she never showed it, her heart had shut itself off from the warmth of such things. No matter what, she would never allow herself to experience such heartbreak again.

Until she met Heat Wave.

During one of the parties like the ones she and her sister had attended so long ago, she was trying her best to remain discreet. Although, it was inevitable that the nobles who wished to curry favor with the princess would find her. And they did. Celestia was able to fend off some of them, directing their drunken passions to an equally drunken partner for them to violate some public decency code in some corner of the castle gardens. Others, she had to wait for them to start arguing with one another over who was more worthy of the princess’s time. It was only when she was informed of a display by the prince from the Court of the Double Suns was performing.

Celestia had heard of this stallion and knew his name. Heat Wave was known throughout his peers for his garish rainbow mane and his remarkable strength. Something that he never missed a chance to show off to anyone who was willing to watch. And even to others who didn’t.

After making her way across the garden, she saw the star of the show himself lifting a table with three mares on it over his head with ease. The moment she saw it, she remembered how her father had done such a thing when she and Luna would sit on a chair each and he would lift them over his head like they were feather pillows.

He was quite a display, this Heat Wave. Beneath that sky blue coat, his muscles throbbed and rippled with every motion. His magenta eyes flashed dashingly with every glance. And as if he were laying a newborn foal down to sleep, he placed the table back on the ground and helped each of the mares off.

Celestia watched him in awe, wondering how such a body could have been built. She was taken completely by surprise when Heat Wave called upon her personally to talk.

The crowd was awed by the audacity of the stallion, knowing that things would only end badly for him if he tried to work her into his strongstallion act. More shocking was his offer to get her a drink.

Celestia politely declined, wishing to spend the party as quietly as possible. When she went to get the drink herself, she was irritated to find that Heat Wave was already there with a drink in each hoof. Since there seemed to be no losing him, Celestia resigned herself to sipping cider with him.

At first, he seemed to only talk about himself. And Celestia found him to be a terrible bore. It was when he asked her about her own life that she felt as if she had a dagger plunged into her side, and wanted to go run off to some corner and cry like a filly. Except when she began, she felt that pain subside. For the first time in many years, Celestia revisited her past and related it to another. To her greatest delight, she found that Heat Wave was far more understanding and sympathetic than she would have expected him to be. Even though he had never experienced such things in his life, he knew how she had felt.

It was because of this that she desired to spend more time with him. To get to know him and to remember herself. Slowly, the mare she once was came back to light. Gossip began to spread that Princess Celestia had been seduced by some musclebound hoodlum at a debaucherous gathering. Of course, they were only half right.

Tabloids went wild, and the two of them became the hottest couple in Equestria. New rumors began to crop up, each more ridiculous than the last. Sometimes even scandalous. But it was always taken in good humor by the two of them. They knew the truth. And they had one another.

One enchanted evening, all of Celestia’s dreams came true. She had lowered the sun and raised the moon, and Celestia met with Heat Wave at their favorite restaurant. The balcony view of the kingdom was splendid. What Celestia liked the best was that he had gotten a private area reserved for the two of them. And she found out why soon enough.

For much of the night, Heat Wave was looking at her with a dreamy, mischievous glint. Every time, Celestia laughed when she saw it. It made her think about how far she had come since she had met him. He truly was wonderful.

Heat Wave passed something to her from across the table. A small box with a single hinge on it. Celestia looked tentatively at the box, and Heat Wave motioned for her to open it. When she did, she was stunned by the discovery.

A ruby that glowed like the evening sun was set before her. Her face beamed just as brightly when she heard Heat Wave propose marriage. An offer she readily accepted. It was the most glorious day in both of their lives. And their excitement had spread to the small audience that had gathered around them without their notice.

One year later, the two of them were married. The ceremony was heavenly, and was attended by ponies from all over the country. Within the year, Celestia was expecting her firstborn foal.

It took five orderlies and two nurses to hold back Heat Wave as he tried to break into the maternity ward. No matter how the medical staff tried to reason with him, nothing would stop him from seeing his beloved wife in her time of greatest need. But there was no getting him to stop even when they told him the foal was born breech. He simply resolved to pull it out himself.

His steps were slow and steady as he bulldozed the hospital staff backwards. The door to the maternity ward was growing ever closer. Not even magic was enough to stop him. Finally, he burst through the door, calling out Celestia’s name.

The room went silent upon his arrival, the hospital staff hanging in vain on his muscular frame. Celestia was sitting quietly, holding a swaddled bundle in her hooves. Heat Wave rushed over to see it, leaving the dazed staff behind him. It was announced that he was now the proud father of a colt. His first son.

The foal peered out of the blankets, his tiny horn poking through a tuft of his scarlet mane. His white coat was taken as a sign that he would be a shining star among his peers. For this, Heat Wave wished for him to be called Bright Star.

Celestia thought Bright Orange might have sounded a little better, which Heat Wave quickly gave in to. After all, who was he to question the ruling princess?

Things could not have gone better for Celestia. Although she had noted that Bright Orange was not like most foals. He was unusually thin for his age. And no matter how his father tried to play with him, Bright Orange was always the first to tire. His fits of anguish would happen at the most inopportune times, mostly when it seemed that they should not have been.

Doctors were called from all corners of the kingdom to find out what was wrong with him. Bright Orange was examined thoroughly. His diet was carefully monitored and his blood was sampled. But not one of them could say what was wrong with the foal. As far as they could tell, it was simply the will of some greater force that had brought this about.

Celestia winced inwardly, feeling as though she knew what forces were at play. Had banishing her sister not been enough? Was she doomed to have her own son suffer? She had already lost a sister and a niece, and she was determined to keep the family that she had left.

For many months, Bright Orange never left her care. He was her treasure. Her very reason to live. Whenever she saw his face or heard him laughing from the next room, she remembered the reasons that she did what she did for her kingdom. But it was not to last.

Bright Orange’s steps became slower, and he cried more often. Finally, he stopped crying altogether, which worried Celestia and Heat Wave more than anything.

The doctors were fetched again, and the foal was examined. This time, they had a concrete reason for Bright Orange’s agony.

An infection had settled in his lungs. Only an antibiotic could be prescribed. However, it was too late. Perhaps it was a mercy that Bright Orange didn’t live to the next week. But it was a terrible pain like none other Celestia had felt since she had to do away with her own sister.

It wasn’t long after that the same illness claimed her husband. Heat Wave’s passing was longer than forever to Celestia, who was with him to his very last breath.

For the first time in her life, Celestia cursed her ascension to alicornhood. This supposed gift was nothing but a burden to her. What good was immortality and eternal health if it couldn’t be shared with anypony who truly mattered to her? In her everlasting life, she would never know the pain of sickness, but she would be forced to watch it sweep over everypony closest to her. Life and death had come to mean more to her than to anypony else. With a fury in her heart, she cursed the demon gods that granted her those terrible gifts, knowing that it was their hooves that had dealt such a terrible thing to befall her.

The sky was silent. Nothing was seen. Nothing but the moon looking down on her.

Celestia gazed back at the moon, wondering how her sister was faring. Perhaps one day they would meet again. If only the gods would allow it.