• ...
 0
 312

The Filly Nightmare

The road to becoming the rulers that Equestria deserved was a long and difficult one, and their parents could tell it would be an uphill battle with Luna’s poor manners, so training for the fillies began immediately.

The sisters were soon put into school to learn the history of their kingdom and the tenets that it had been built upon, which was quite different from the pauper’s education they’d gotten so far. Celestia took to the books as readily as anything, but Luna was hardly able to focus on anything that she was doing. And the sisters’ mischief didn’t help anything.

One day, Celestia had snuck a bag of frozen peas and a hollow reed into class. She loaded a pea into the reed and blew it into the back of their instructor’s head. Their instructor turned around and noticed nothing, then naively went back to her lesson. By the third time that she was hit, Celestia’s desk was moved to the front of the chalkboard, where her teacher could see her.

Luna sat at her desk behind their instructor, disappointed that the fun had ended so early. Or had it?

A nearby standing candelabra caught her eye, and she used her magic to pull it over. Since her ascension to alicornhood, her horn had healed and she was able to stealthily pull the candelabra closer. Her instructor turned around and Luna sat innocently with her magic neutralized, completely without the instructor realizing that the candelabra had moved a full four feet closer to Luna. Once her back was turned, Luna’s evil work began.

As quietly as she could Luna unscrewed the candelabra at the middle, taking the hollow bottom half for herself to use. Celestia had to cover her mouth to keep from laughing as she watched Luna load the apple she had taken for lunch into the base. Luna raised the gigantic blowgun to her lips, and her instructor turned around.

Luna whipped the blowgun behind her chair, hoping that the instructor hadn’t noticed the magical aura that was still glowing behind her back. Once Luna had answered the question that was posed to her, her instructor turned back around. That was her undoing.

The position was perfect. Their instructor’s flank swayed back and forth as she wrote on the chalkboard. Luna aimed down the sights of her blowgun and put her lips to the opening.

Celestia bit her lip and snickered to herself.

The moment that she was asked what was so funny, Luna let fire. The apple flew straight and true, hitting their instructor squarely in her flank, making the mare jump forth so much that she landed on her blackboard, flipping herself over to the other end and revealing the rude picture that Celestia had drawn on the other side.

Between the antics of the two princesses, the king and queen dreaded the thought of the two of them one day using the sun and moon as weapons in a duel with one another. Still, one day they would both understand the discipline and responsibility that was required to do such a thing. And they would both have plenty of time.

Even as the king and queen and everypony else aged, the fillies remained fillies, which was soon noticed. While Celestia and Luna stayed young, the king’s beard had begun to turn grey, and the queen’s eyes had lost their sparkle. And it began to alarm the fillies as they saw their own friends from the kingdom grow up without them.

Time had lost its effect on them. And it frightened them. One day, everyone they knew wouldn’t be there. They would continue to grow and age, until they were no more.

Still, they were assured that it wasn’t so bad. That there were others who were like them. And when the color of their parents’ hair had almost completely greyed, they were introduced to such other creatures.

Luna and Celestia were at the front of the castle, wearing their best clothes as they sat in the courtyard.

“Why do I have to wear this dorky dress?” Luna said as she tangled with her oversized skirt.

“Because you need to look your best for when your new friends arrive,” Queen Faust said as she combed and pinned Luna’s mane.

“How do you know we’ll be friends? I don’t want to be forced into being friends with somepony I hate,” Luna said, as she took out one of the pins from her own mane and let it flow freely in the breeze.

“If you two are anything to go by,” King Tempest said as he forcibly reapplied the pin into Celestia’s mane, “then you are most certainly going to get along with these two.”

Celestia didn’t like the sound of that. That tone her father used was the same one that always made her want to go hide in her room when she was a filly. For as little as he seemed to think of her, it made her think that the new arrivals were going to be a couple of delinquents.

There was a sound from somewhere above. A loud, whirring, buzzing sound like the world’s biggest bee was about to pollinate the entire royal garden by itself. A shadow soon hovered over them all, and the sound of the buzzing grew even louder. The fillies looked up, and there in the sky above them was the biggest insect they ever saw. Only, it wasn’t an insect.

It looked like a hornet, but at once it looked like a dragon. A gigantic maw filled with fangs beneath a pair of royal purple compound eyes. Three pairs of long, spindly legs which ended in five clawed feet reached down to the ground as the creature landed. Its translucent wings folded onto its chitinous golden back and it looked over the family before it.

The thing only looked briefly at Celestia and Luna, who stepped back from the monstrosity before them. Finally, it fixated totally on King Tempest. The king’s eyes flashed as he glowered at the monster.

Queen Faust rolled her eyes at the sight. “Here it comes,” she sighed.

Quicker than any of them could blink, the dragon-hornet had brought one of its many legs crashing down on King Tempest, who was holding it up with only his front hooves. He began leaning to the side under the power of the monster, until a sudden surge of strength allowed him to push back to the other side and flip the beast over like it was a flapjack.

“And it is decreed: the hoof wrestling champion still reigns!” King Tempest bombastically declared.

“You’re getting softer, old-timer. One day, you’ll be lying on your back with your hooves tied in a knot,” the beast chuckled.

His laughter spread to King Tempest, who helped the beast up and heartily embraced him.

“Stallions. Go figure,” Queen Faust muttered to her daughters.

She approached the two men as they laughed jovially with one another. Taking her cue, Celestia and Luna followed after her, though at a distance. The second they were close enough, the beast looked over them.

“So! These must be the daughters that you’ve been boasting about,” he said.

“Indeed, they are,” King Tempest said. “This is Celestia and Luna. Daughters, this is King Mandible of the changelings.”

“Soon to be the former king of the changelings,” King Mandible said. “Chrysalis. Come out.”

“I’m already here, dad,” a nearby voice said.

As if the foliage in the nearby planters had come alive, a creature much like King Mandible walked out of them. Only, she wasn’t like her father. She was much smaller, only slightly taller than Celestia was. Her chitinous shell was marked with patterns that looked like the flowers and fronds in the planter, and her four legs ended in hooves. On her back was a pair of translucent insect wings, and atop her head was a curved horn like a single antenna. Most unlike her father, she had the face and eyes of a pony.

“Are these the alicorns?” Chrysalis asked.

“Yes. And I’d expect you to treat them as well as you would any one of your friends,” King Mandible said.

“Yeah. Hanging out with a couple of little fillies. Whoopee,” Chrysalis murmured to herself.

Celestia gave her a nasty look, letting her silently know that she wasn’t too happy to be hanging around a sullen stranger who was older than she was.

“Since you’re here. We just have to wait for Dissonance and her little boy,” Queen Faust said to King Mandible.

“It’s strange. I saw her on the way here. I guessed that she was going to be here before me,” King Mandible said.

He stepped in a puddle, which yelped the second his claw touched it. Everypony jumped back as the puddle shot up like a geyser and stood straight upward. From its sides, several limbs lashed out and melded into its body over and over. Finally, a single eye opened up at the top of the churning amorphous mass, which took on a more reddish color, then blue, then green, then yellow.

Luna eeped and hid behind Celestia, who remained relatively composed as she patted her younger sister.

“Dissonance. Always one to make an entrance,” King Tempest said.

“Admit it. You were this close to pissing yourselves,” Queen Dissonance said, holding two of her appendages less than an inch apart.

“Hm. You don’t seem to be as eloquent today,” Queen Faust said.

A second creature that looked exactly like Queen Dissonance rose up behind the first and slapped it on the back of the head.

“OW! Mom!” the first creature said.

“Discord! Did we not discuss how to conduct ourselves for our royal peers!?” the second asked in a voice that sounded like two creatures speaking at once.

“Aw, come on. I was just having a little fun.”

The second creature smacked the first again, and the first creature changed immediately to what looked like a mix of a hundred different other animals.

“Now. Stand up straight and introduce yourself,” Queen Dissonance sternly said.

The mishmash creature sighed, stood as stiff as a board then bowed as graciously as he could.

“Greetings and salutations, my new and future friends. My name is Discord, future lord of chaos,” he said, his speech mechanical and monotone.

“Looks like the lord of the sideshows,” Celestia whispered to Luna.

“Maybe, if we ask him, he’ll bite the head off a chicken,” Luna whispered back.

“Psh…This is gonna be a real blast,” Chrysalis muttered grimly to herself.

And so, the four of them met, and their day had begun. The adults left them alone, knowing that they would eventually be friends. At first, they children wanted nothing to do with one another. However, it was Celestia who brought the group together. When she revealed that she had stolen back her reed blowgun, she decided to show the others how to have fun with it.

The baker from Celestia’s foalhood still worked in the castle. And as the four peeked into the kitchen, Celestia loaded her blowgun with a tart cranberry and let fly at the back of the baker’s head. The cranberry hit home and the baker’s face went splat into the oversized cherries jubilee that he was preparing.

The children all started to laugh, until they realized that the baker had been about to flambé the pastry, and the match that he was holding must have fallen into it. The baker screamed as his mane burst into flames and he ran a fiery path through the kitchen, until he dunked his entire head into the sink.

Nopony knew how it happened. The culprits were never caught. And they weren’t done with terrorizing the staff.

The four of them were all in on the second assault. Discord conjured a very large painting of a stallion raising one hoof and pointing with the other. He and Chrysalis transformed into a couple of movers and crossed the path of Celestia and Luna’s tutor.

The fillies were lying in wait. They both peered out from their cover, each holding one of Luna’s ingenuous candelabra blowguns. Their weapons were loaded, aimed, and fired. Two apples hit the mare in her flank and sent her rocketing through the canvas, getting her stuck and making it appear as if she were about to be spanked by the stallion in the painting.

As the day went on, the four of them decided that they had better lay low somewhere. The castle was up in arms over their antics, and demanded justice.

Celestia knew the perfect place for them to stay while the castle authorities tailed them. The tunnels beneath the castle were abandoned long before Canterlot Palace was built on top of it. Nopony had been there for centuries, and the fillies were always prohibited from going there. It was the perfect place to make a hideout.

Except, now that they were confined to one place, there was very little to do.

“You fillies ever played ‘Truth or Dare?’” Chrysalis asked.

“No. What is it?” Luna wondered.

“It’s where you choose either to tell the truth about anything that you get asked about, or do anything that you get dared to do. You lose if you chicken out. You’re not chicken, are you?” Chrysalis provocatively said.

“Only one part,” Discord said, showing his one avian appendage.

“I wanna play,” Celestia said.

“Good. Who else is in?” Chrysalis asked.

“Oh, I’m an expert at this game. I’m the truth or dare king back home,” Discord boasted.

“No, you’re the flank master back home. There’s a difference,” Celestia said.

Discord only huffed haughtily in response. She’d see. They’d all see. Only Luna had remained silent.

“Come on, Luna. Don’t chicken out,” Celestia said.

“I don’t know if we should do this. We’re trying to lay low right now,” Luna said.

“Or, we could try to do something so big that we’d never be able to be punished for it,” Chrysalis said.

“Yeah! You can’t be punished for mixing the sun and the moon together into the same thing, can you?” Discord said.

“I wouldn’t go so far,” Celestia said. “So, how about it, Luna? Are you in?”

Luna looked between her peers, knowing deep down that something bad was bound to happen. Then again, she didn’t want to be left out of anything with the new friends she had made.

“Alright. Who’s first?” Luna asked.

“Mememememe! Pick me!” Discord babbled as he waved his hand in the air.

“Okay, Mr. Chaos. Let’s just see how chaotic you can be,” Celestia said.

“Ooh! What did you have in mind, cupcake?” Discord asked.

Luna grew nervous when she saw the way her sister was smirking.

“I dare you,” Celestia said. She paused as she looked at the eager, anxious looks on everypony else’s faces. “I dare you to unleash as much chaos as you can all at once.”

“Oh, I can do better than that, lady. I’ll have one of you do it!” Discord said.

He flexed his fingers and cracked his neck. Right after, he began waving his arms and Luna began to levitate.

“Tia? What’s happening?” Luna asked.

As though her entire body had become radioactive, Luna began to glow with a sickly green light. Dull at first, the light grew so bright that it blinded the others. The only thing seen was Luna’s dark silhouette contorting in pain.

“What did you do!?” Celestia said to Discord.

“I just did the dare!” Discord said, sounding suddenly defensive and unsure.

There was a bright flash as dark shadows streamed from Luna’s body. Her scream echoed across the walls of the abandoned tunnels long after it ended, and the light died down as Luna drifted back to the ground. Only, it didn’t seem like the Luna that they knew. If it was Luna, her coat was much darker, and she was much taller than before. And her face. They couldn’t even see it. Her wings had grown so large that they covered nearly her entire side as she lowered her head.

The others stepped back, but Celesta slowly approached her sister.

“Lulu?” she anxiously asked. “Lulu, are you alright?”

What was once her sister raised her head. Luna was no longer the bright-eyed filly that she knew. She was a mare now. One whose face conveyed nothing but disdain and hate for all things beneath her.

“‘Lulu’ is dead,” the mare ominously said. “I am Nightmare Moon!”

It was then that they knew they had gone too far. Discord lamented the abuse of his power, knowing that his mom was going to kill him over this.

Nightmare Moon flew out of the tunnels beneath the castle and began her reign of terror. No matter how the guards tried, they were defeated. After so many lives were lost, the parents of the young royalty were informed of what had happened. Springing into action they all faced the stranger who had so brazenly announced that she would take over the castle and usher in an eternal night.

At first, her threat seemed unfounded. Until the sun began to dim. Darkness began to spread across the land, and the evil things that came with the night began to stir.

It was only the combined efforts of the royals, and the love that King Tempest and Queen Faust had for their daughter that defeated the evil Nightmare Moon and restored Luna back to her former self. After a tearful reunion with their daughter, it was heavily impressed upon the children their serious lack of judgment.

In the centuries that followed, this would be something that they would all look back on darkly. For the time being, they had learned their lesson.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the late update! Life happens sometimes lol