• Published 9th Jun 2022
  • 117 Views, 0 Comments

Forest Treasure - MirroredHawk



Small group of students went to test a prototype during the extremely inappropriate time

  • ...
 0
 117

Castle Danger

Finally, they came to the wooden building, situated under the big cloud with several pegasi buildings on it. March knocked the door. Tired earthpony opened it from the inside, “Students, right?” he looked at the group, “Isn't it too many of you?”

“Plans have changed a bit,” answered Fire, “nopony warned you?”

“Neigh. Anyway, get in,” he moved inside letting everypony into the medium-sized room. It was a guest-hall and a dining room. Some pegasus was sleeping on the bench. Blizzard outside started to rage.

“Just in time,” Byrk said.

“Let's find you a place to stay,” earthpony went down the corridor with 4 doors disappearing in the farthest one.

Mistral again freed her wings, cursing the jacket while some feathers fell on the floor. “How do they live in such cold?” she asked shaking the snow off herself.

“Crystal ponies are more resilient to cold,” Silver answered, sitting on the bench. Byrk put the saw on the table and together with Frist started to inspect it.

Fire decided to look around. It looked more like a mountaineer camp than an apartment. There were all sorts of unusual souvenirs, oddly shaped stones. A couple of magic crystals were lying close to the heated stove, which became a point of Golden's interest. Fire decided not to stop him and started to listen what Mistral, Tiny and Silver were discussing.

“...So what?” Mistral asked, “Now crystal ponies can move West to Lopia and Roania or to Ametrin, for example.”

“Have you ever opened any history book?” Silver laughed, “They lived here for around ten generations since Princess Luna allowed King Sombra and his crystal ponies to settle in the Northern Equestria.”

“Wait. Isn't King Sombra from Equestria?” Tiny asked, surprised.

“Well, it's obscured. First time Sombra was mentioned in the context of crystal mutiny against some Radiant Hope.”

“Against whom?” Now was the time for Fire to be surprised.

“Am I the only one interested in history?” Silver asked, irritated.

“Well, unlike us, you have access to the archives, thanks to your parents,” Tiny said.

“Alright, alright,” Silver calmed down agreeing with Tiny, “As far as I know she was some kind of tyrant there. Sombra was leading rebels, being forced to move to Equestria for some reason.”

“Sounds like Cadance, are they related?” asked Fire.

“Maybe yes, maybe not,” Silver shrugged his hooves, “Strange, why they cannot update these records. The book was old and barely holding together.”

“Yeah, history is usually disregarded nowadays,” Fire replied, “You can count leading historians with your hooves. Who knows, maybe you should reconsider your university choice?”

“Everypony cares only about practical skills now,” answered Silver, he looked sad, trying not to meet eyes with anypony, then he suddenly spoke, “Where is the mare who led us here?”

Fire turned looking around. March was nowhere to find. “Where to—” the door in the corridor opened and earthpony came back with dark-grey raven-maned thestral.

“It's Night Seer. Today you can stay at his place. We have no free space here,” he nodded at the sleeping pegasus on the bench.

“Fire Sense, nice to meet you,” Fire introduced himself, “Thank you for help.”

“You’re welcome. The life is harsh in the mountains, so we have to stick together,” thestral looked at everypony with faint-yellow cat eyes, smiling and showing his two fangs.

Mistral leaned to Silver, whispering, “Shouldn't crystal pegasi live in the Castle Danger?”

Night Seer moved his ear in their direction, replying, “Thestrals lived here long before pegasi. Doesn't matter though. Let's go, you need to rest after the long trip.” He took light scarf and went out. All followed him by the slithering mountain paths.

Quickly they reached the door in the rock. Night knocked on it and shouted, “Darling! I'm with guests!”

After some time, door opened by the slightly lighter thestral, but her eyes were more of deep yellow colour. “It's Dark Seer, my wife,” Night introduced her.

“Don't just stand there! Come inside,” she left the door open. Fire expected to enter some kind of a cave, but from the inside it appeared to be a simple wooden house. “So many of you,” gasped Dark, letting everypony in. When Fire was removing his jacket, he noticed that thestrals have one old jacket for pegasi.


During the lunch Fire asked, “So, you live here alone?”

Night answered, “Here were our children earlier, but the son gone to Whinnyapolis to attend the military academy. Daughter left with some Trotsylvanian husband... There are some letters, we are writing to each other sometimes.”

“And how your live is going?”

“I'm helping with wood transportation during the daytime. Already got used to it. My wife is mostly doing the home chores. You know, you never have free time here. Always something breaks, pegasi need help or the crops... cursed crops...”

They were left in a heated guest hall for the night and tired ponies fell asleep immediately.