• Published 20th May 2022
  • 336 Views, 6 Comments

Memories of the Past - Valtyrian



Memories are wild. Some bring warmth and pleasure, while some bring only pain and despair. and some, walk out of the past into the present bringing chaos in there wake.

  • ...
 6
 336

Oh what now...

Twilight smiled as she stepped out of the carriage with her friends. Thanking the Pegasus guards for their hard work. Looking over at the hamlet she smiled. It was the one place that hadn’t changed much in the last five hundred years.

“This place don’t look much different.” Applejack smirked stepping up next to Twilight who frowned and looked about.

“Hey Egghead. You okay there?” Rainbow landed along with Fluttershy.

“No. Something’s wrong, This place is perfectly fine. Like no battle had ever taken place.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Fluttershy placed a wing on Twilight’s shoulder.

“It’s wonderful. But I had reports of their invasion. You could see the fires from Canterlot.” Twilight sighed and looked off to the side where her old castle stood, her Pegasi sight catching a rather large hill several miles out of Ponyville. Two large dark shaded wolves stared at her before vanishing into the forest dragging something between them.

“Greetings Princess.” A thick southern voice called out.

Applejack blinked and twirled around at hearing her old Granny’s voice. Surprised to see it come from a middle aged yellow mare with a silver mane.

“Mayor Sugarbee.” Twilight hugged the mayor for a moment and stepped back.

“Glad to see ya again Princess. I heard there was quite the party over in Canterlot.” The Mayor smiled wide.

Twilight shook her head for a moment, she couldn’t place it but something was off. “I’m not sure what you heard but it was no party. Speaking of that, how did Ponyville avoid invasion? I heard you all took heavy damage here. I even sent repair teams out to check up on you.”

Sugarbee tilted her head with a confused look. “Yeah I remember them folks mentioning somethin’ like that. And there was this little block party outside of Ponyville the night wolves threw. But outside of a few drunken brawls in front of The Barn, nothing really exciting happened.” Sugarbee looked off to the side and looked slightly confused for half a second before turning back to Twilight. “Anyway. We’re all glad your here. Mah daughter said you have a family member of ours who came back.”

Twilight opened her mouth when she saw that second long glance Sugarbee had before was swiftly sidewinded by her next statement. “Oh uh yes. Sugarbee, this. Is Applejack.” Stepping back. “Sorry the original Applejack. The Harmony Element of Honesty.” Applejack stepped forward and bowed. “Applejack, this is Sugarbee Apple. Current matriarch of the family and mayor of Ponyville. She’s actually descended from Applebloom. Making her your twenty great-grand niece.”

“Well Ah be. Applejack, our family’s greatest matriarch. Well poach me in cider and cover me in caramel sauce. It’s true.” Holding out her hoof Sugarbee grinned. “Welcome back mah dear. Ah can’t wait to show you just how well our family’s been doin.”

Pressing her hoof to Sugarbee, Applejack smiled. “Pleased to meet ya. I can’t wait to meet the rest of the family. I’m not here to take over, I’m only here to help and learn what’s new.”

“Well I’ll be glad to introduce you tonight at dinner. I’m sure you can show yourself back to the farm. It hasn’t moved. I’d go with you but I still have office matters to attend to. But i’ll call my Son AJ to let him know the originator of his name is coming.”

“OH I understand. And i’d appreciate it. I’d hate to just show up unannounced.”

“Oh, think nothing of it, your family. And we never turn away family.” Turning back to the Princess Sugarbee smile. “So where else are you heading today princess.”

“Well Rainbow, Pinkie and Rarity want to look through Ponyville and scout out places where the new Sugar Cube Corner is going to be. And see how Rarity’s Boutique has grown. Plus I think they want to visit the upgraded spa.” everyone giggled as Rainbow rolled her eyes. “As for Fluttershy, i’m taking her to her old sanctuary I assume Tender Paws is still there.”

“Only when he’s not making time with mah daughter Cinnamon.” Sugarbee sighed. “He’s a nice boy but a little scatterbrained at times. A little lazy too. All he does is lay about and watch the animals.”

“Well is that wrong? That’s all I did when I ran the Sanctuary. And I did hold group therapy.” Fluttershy smiled.

“Oh he does that too. Boy’s good with critters. Especially them Timberwolves. Always has a pair of them by his side.” Taking a step back Sugarbee smiled when she saw Fluttereshy’s worried expression. “Oh don’t worry, you’ll see when you get to the Sanctuary.”

“Indeed, i’ve met him. He’s actually the descendent of Soft Paws. the young stallion you left in charge the day you… retired.”

“Oh my. I can’t wait to meet him.” Fluttershy perked up with a smile.

“Well i’ll leave you all to your day. Please stop by house for dinner, all of you. We’ll make something special.”

“You have a deal Mayor.” Twilight and her five friends watched as the Mayor galloped away then turned to her friends. “Well. I say we split up here and meet back at the Apple family house tonight.”

“Right.” Everypony said together and left to their perspective ponyville business.

Turning to Fluttershy, Twilight smiled. “Come on, lets introduce you to the most interesting young stallion in Ponyville.”


As the pair slowly reached the location, Fluttershy smiled. Her sanctuary hadn’t changed one bit. It was still just as she had left it on her last day. Looking around she found it was quite busy. Animals everywhere recovering. Her heart almost stoped when she found a rather large wolf snarling and dashing after a small brown rabbit. Taking a step forward she found Twilight’s wing blocking her.

“Just wait.” Was all Twilight said with a smile. “Watch.”

Fluttershy bit down on her lower lip and turned back. The wolf had lunged forward, jaws open. Seconds before it reached the frightened rabbit the wolf was snagged from the air by a large Timberwolf. Holding the wolf like a cub in it’s wooden jaws. The wolf whimpered wiggled back and forth.

“Now what have I told you Silverfang.” A large black stallion came walking in shaking his head back and forth. The wolf bowed it’s head and whimpered louder. “I have no issue with you chasing rabbits. You know that. They need the exercise, but you are NOT allowed to eat them.'' The stallion’s eyes narrowed. The wolf bowing its head in shame. “What you do outside the sanctuary is your business. But while you are recovering here, you eat only what is provided for you. Understand?”

The wolf nodded slowly as the Timberwolf let go with a gesture from the stallion. “Good, now take the bunny back to her burrow. And don't’ let me catch you trying this again.”

“I see you have things all under control as usual Tender.” Twilight stepped forward and offered her hoof to the stallion.

The stallion smiled as he watched the wolf kneel down and the bunny bounce up on to it’s back. The pair ran off with the Timberwolf in tow. Turning about he smiled, taking the hoof he kissed it lightly, earning a blush from the princess. “Greetings princess. Sorry you had to witness that. But some animals just won’t learn. So whos your…”

Twilight blinked as she watched Tender get a very odd look on his face for half a second. “Oh excuse me. This is Fluttershy. She was the originator of the sanctuary.”

“Oh yeah, I heard she was back. It’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Fluttershy.” Tender smiled and bowed gracefully.

“Who told you she was back?” Twilight blinked as he lifted his head up.

“A little birdie told me.” Tender chuckled.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, I knew Soft Paws well. He was very dedicated to the safety and well being of my animals.” Fluttershy stepped forward and helped him up. “Please just call me Fluttershy.” Looking at the stallion she found the same light brown eyes were just as warm and inviting as his ancestor.

“Of course, I’m sorry. I was raised with some rather strict manners. It’s something that runs in my family. And I…” Tender chuckled till a loud teleport pop exploded behind Twilight and Fluttershy.

“Hey little bro, Ugh you would NOT believe what I just did.” Autumn sighed as she walked past both Twilight and Fluttershy with out so much as a look at them as her eyes were closed. A look of worry on her face.

Tender chuckled nervously as he saw the look of utter confusion on both Twilight and Fluttershy at the intrusion of the massive Alicorn. “Oh hey sis, didn’t know you were back.”

“Yeah, I arrived just this morning.” Autumn sighed sitting down in front of Tender and looked at him with a smile. “Still masquerading as a pony I see. How long as this been going on now? A thousand years or so?”

Twilight watched on, her head spinning. An unknown alicorn just pushing past her. One that was far larger then both her and Celestia. Watching everything unfold in front of her just raised more question.

“I guess so. Okay, I’ll bite. What has you so down now?” Tender sat in front of Autumn and placed a hoof on hers.

“I kinda found out the hard way that my old mother is alive, again.” Moaning a bit she lowered her head.

“Pearl, yeah I know. Father told me. Surely it can’t be that bad. She was bound to run into you eventually.” Tender shook his head slowly.

“Yeah but not before she knew who she was. I kinda let loose that she’s a reincarnation without even realizing it. Can you believe I’m so dense that I can’t even realize that I could do that?” Autumn looking down didn’t catch the fact that he looked directly at Twilight and raised an eyebrow. “I go to see mother, failed to realize she has company. And completely shove my horseshoes down my throat. Honestly can you believe that?”

“Is that a trick question?” Tender sighed.

“No, why would you think that? I’m being serious here. How can I completely not notice that mother had company I should be intensely careful around.”

“Look behind you then ask me that.” He chuckled shaking his head slowly.

Blinking she caught a reflection from a nearby source of water. “No… There is no way, I did this twice in ten minutes.” Slowly turning around the alicorn girl came eye to eye with Twilight Sparkle looking completely dumbfounded. “Oh sweet cheese and crackers not you. Great! I just exposed my existence to the one pony I promised myself to avoid.”

“So, they’ve been here this whole time?” Tender slowly nodded his head. “And did I do what I think I did?”

“You mean blow the cover I worked five hundred years to carefully establish? Yes. yes you did. But don’t sweat it too much, it was bound to come out eventually.”

“So what now?” Autumn felt her stomach tighten as she bowed her head. “Maybe I should visit father.”

“That would be a safe thing to do. You know how he gets on this day. And you were always his favorite. And don’t worry. I’m sure mother has already taken care of Pearl. No doubt you’ll just be a figment of her wild imagination until she sees you again.”

Turning toward Twilight and Fluttershy, Autumn sighed. “Am I ever not going to shove my horseshoes down my throat?”

Seeing the two ponies slowly back up a few steps, Tender placed a hoof on his sisters front leg. His pony form dissolving into a large black fox with a sea green swirl pattern about his fur that matched his fathers. “I have been asking myself that for ten thousand years now. Just like those stories of Auntie Pearl and Midnight, you seem to not only step in it, but dive in head first. Go to father, i’ll fix things here.”

Nodding, Autumn teleported out in a puff of sea foam smoke.

“What the hay was that? Who was that. And what have you done with the real Tender?” Twilight stood there shaking the cobwebs out of her mind. Book shelf after book shelf of questions littered her mind.

“Well, to answer your first question. That was a very absent minded alicorn. Who in is in fact my older sister.” The large kitsune chuckled as he sat comfortably on the grass, two large female Timberwolves came up and laid down next to him. One of his paws ideally stroking the soft wood of their bodies. “Well adopted sister I should say. After all my parents are her godparents.” Completely ignoring the fact that a pair of bunnies started to climb his back the young fox laid down and looked at the mares at a more even level. “As for Tender, well I am Tender. Always have been. As well as every caretaker going back five hundred years.” Turning his gaze to Fluttershy. “Ever sense the day you handed me the reigns Fluttershy.”

“That was you?” Fluttershy shook her head trying to put the two pisces together.

Twilight blinked as she looked at him. As her mind worked things out she groaned. “Oh my, your Kohaku’s son. He said you were living here in Ponyville.”

“This is Kohaku’s son?” Fluttershy blushed and looked at the fox who nodded slowly. “And you were also the pony I gave my sanctuary too?”

Nodding he bowed his head to the two of them. “Kazuya at your service my dears. I do apologize for my deception, especially to you Fluttershy. I hope your not angry with me. But we Kitsune do enjoy our secrecy.”

“Oh not at all. To know that the one individual I charged with taking care of my animals has been doing just that for five hundred years warms my heart.” Fluttershy smiled kindly toward him.

“That’s all good an all but are you also responsible for the fact that no one in Ponyville knowing about the war that went on?” Twilight quirked an eyebrow at Kazuya who only smiled.

“I only altered everyone’s memories of the days in question.” Picking up a bunny that slid down his face onto his mussel, he wiggled his nose up against it’s and set the little animal down with the rest of the pack. “I wanted to avoid mass panic. After all panic only leads to destruction and injury. I was not having that on my watch. I had my Night Wolfs engage them outside the town limits. The battle didn’t last much longer then ten minutes.”

Groaning Twilight shook her head. “Alright, so what happens now?”

“Well you finding out about my true form not withstanding, I’m going to have to do something I really shouldn’t.”

“Such as?” Twilight blinked as she saw the kitsune male leap forward faster then she could put her barriers up. Placing two of his paw fingers on her forehead, Twilight felt herself grow dizzy as she blacked out.