• Published 20th May 2022
  • 332 Views, 6 Comments

Memories of the Past - Valtyrian



Memories are wild. Some bring warmth and pleasure, while some bring only pain and despair. and some, walk out of the past into the present bringing chaos in there wake.

  • ...
 6
 332

Like Mother like Daughter

Tsunami Rose stretched out in her home’s gardens. The sound of a running waterfall flowing down hill past fields of flowers, filling her senses with the same passion her beloved fox had when creating this place. She enjoyed the scents and sounds even more as she kept her sunhat lowered over her eyes, keeping the sun’s rays out of her closed eyes as she sunned herself.

She smiled to herself until she heard a familiar pop and a sudden splash in the duck pond.

“A pond?! Why would this thing teleport me into a pond!!”

Tsumi smiled at hearing the familiar voice. Gee, I wonder who could be that mischievous. The dragoness giggled at her thoughts.

“Hello Pearl. I see you got Kohaku’s gift. Why not come over here and dry yourself off.”

“Ugh. Yeah, although I didn’t expect to fall into a duck pond.” Pearl smirked as she saw a few ducks the size of foals fly back and land into the waters. “Is everything here supersized?”

“Why do you think I smile so much,” the dragoness chuckled, lifting her hat up and looking at the young mare. Who was staring at her confused. “Nevermind, welcome to our home. Sorry you got deposited in a pond. The pendant just ports you to the nearest resident. And that just happens to be me.”

“What about Forestsong? Isn’t he here?” Pearl looked about before taking a towel that was from a stack on a nearby table.

“No. my mate has gone… out.” Tsumi sighed a little, taking a sip from a glass in her claw.

“Is everything between you two okay Summer?” Pearl quickly found a cushion nearby and sat down looking at the dragoness who just looked at her for a brief moment. Pearl blinked as for a moment she saw a sparkle in her eye that made her feel a little underdressed on the inside.

“OH yes, everything between us is just fine. It’s just. Today is sort of an anniversary.”

“Let me guess, he forgot your wedding day?” Pearl chuckled as she knew that was a problem for many stallions as she shook her head.

“OH heavens forbid. No. it’s the day we lost… her.”

Gasping, Pearl held her front hooves up to her mouth. Sure she swallowed her horseshoes. “I’m so sorry. Should I have not come today?”

“Oh no. You’re welcome to visit anytime you wish, Pearl. Kohaku and I enjoy your company. And I’m grateful for it today. As Kohaku spends today at her gravesite.”

“You sound worried about him?” Pearl sighed as she leaned back, resting on her front hooves.

“I am. You see…”

“MOTHER!! Your darling daughter has returned!!” Pearl’s eyes widened as she heard her own voice behind her. Whipping her head around she nearly fell over. There in the double doorway was the largest Alicorn she had ever laid eyes on.

Standing ten hooves high, this massive mare held herself with the same regal dignity that both Forestsong and Summer exhibited. Her blazing crimson mane was streaked with a line of midnight blue, all highlighted by tints of seafoam. Her lavender coat was highlighted with forest green and shimmered with a tint of amber, the same amber that lined the spirals of her large horn. Rubbing her eyes, Pearl looked in closer and saw that just under those folded up wings, was a rather bizarre cutie mark. A sleeping fox surrounded by sea green flames.

Taking a step back she made way as Summer gasped and dashed past her. Embracing the girl in the same way her own mother did when she came home after a long trip.

“Autumn dearest. I thought you were going to be spending a few more decades at your aunt Kade’s retreat.” Summer tenderly held onto her daughter, cupping the mare’s chin as if she was still just a child.

After breaking free with a playful giggle, Autumn returned the hug and sighed. “I was going too. It was amazing there. The sun, surf, and all those delicious stallions. Woof!” Autumn grinned after licking her lips. “But there was an… incident.”

“I see.” Summer smirked and quirked an eyebrow. “And how much is this going to cost you?”

“Only half a million bits. I mean it was just one lousy, and I do mean lousy, building. I doubt anypony there will miss it.”

Pearl blinked as she calculated the thought of shrugging off half a million bits like it was pocket change. Just how flipping rich are these creatures? Her family was rich but by no means would be able to laugh that much off.

“I see, Autumn..”

“I know mother, I know. Auntie chewed me out something fierce afterwards. But seriously it wasn’t all my fault.” Autumn sighed as she took a few steps toward Pearl. Not watching where she was stepping. “You think there would have been signs saying ‘highly flammable’ on an island with multiple volcanoes. But no they…” She meeped as Pearl almost yelled out at nearly being stepped on.

“OH I’m so sorry. I forget my height sometimes.” Autumn smiled with her eyes closed then looked over her shoulder. “I didn’t realize you had company. I didn’t even think you and father got company from little ponies.”

“Well this one is special. She’s…” Summer began but was cut off by Autumn again.

“So what’s so special about…” Autumn turned and looked Pearl directly in the eyes and fell dead silent. Her mouth fell open and took a few steps back.

Pearl blinked at seeing that reaction. Gulping she caught a glint of the light reflecting off the enlarged canines the mare in front of her had. Extending her hoof she opened her mouth to speak but was swiftly cut off.

Autumn turned around so fast, Pearl almost got whiplashed by the large bushy tail. “Again!!!” the alicorn’s voice reverberated all over the room.

Summer tried to speak but as soon as her mouth opened Autumn went into a raging rant.

“Seriously mother, you could have warned me. Sent me a message. I mean I don’t mind seeing her again but how many timers does this make now. Twenty six, twenty seven? I lost count.”

“Autumn.” Summer calmly tried to get her daughter’s attention as Pearl sat there with a curious look on her face.

“I mean my heart can only take so much. Seeing her again every few centuries and losing her all over again after a few decades.”

“Autumn!” Summer’s voice increased as she looked at Pearl nervously. Pearl quirked an eyebrow and looked Summer in the eyes.

“And what about Father? How is he taking this? You know it kills him every time he meets her again and I…”

“AUTUMN SPARKLE ROSE!!!” The manor shook with the roar Tsumi emitted. Beyond the door were the crashes of several trays and the sounds of escaping servants.

Pearl looked at Autumn who stood there like a foal about to be disciplined. Her whole body lowered to the ground as a low whimper escaped her lips. She didn’t think any creature that large could be cowed so easily by another.

Autumn looked over at Pearl and grimaced before looking back up at her mother. “I did it again didn’t I?” the alicorn mare moaned as Summer just nodded slowly. Starting to get up, Autumn sighed deeply. “You’d think by now I’d be used to the taste of my own designer horseshoes.”

“Of all the things to inherit from your mother. Your mouth is by far the worst. How many times have your father and I told you that..” Tsumi’s tight knitted tone held in the bulk of her annoyance as she folded her front legs across her chest.

“My mouth will get me into trouble.” Autumn finished as Pearl mouthed the words herself. The same words her own mother told her repeatedly.

“Right. Now…”

“I think I'll go visit little brother. Before I cause anymore damage.” Autumn let out a little chuckle as she backed out of the room. Once the doors were closed the resounding pop of a teleportation spell left the gardens in silence.

“That girl. Gods above I love her but she is without a doubt her mother’s child.” Tsumi sighed as she turned and looked at Pearl who seemed to have completely broken, her mouth slowly opening and closing as she had a vacant stare. “Somethings never change.'' The dragoness chuckled as she picked Pearl up and laid the girl on a lounge sofa by the waterfall.


Kohaku sighed as he strolled through a darkened part of his forest. Light had not shined here for centuries. He could have easily spread the canopy, but no. He didn’t want to disturb the slumber of its one resident.

This place was special to him and the glades resident. It was where they met. Only right that he let her slumber here. On reaching a moss covered Pegasus, he sighed. Reaching up he tenderly brushed off the light covering of moss.

Kohaku’s paw tenderly moved down over her body. Carefully separating the moss from the alabaster stone, working slowly and carefully with a touch only one other knew. Once he finished up his work, Kohaku stood back and sat down looking at her, her marble form a stark contrast to the crimson enamel of her mane. Even in the shadows he could make out the sleeping dragon on her flank.

“I’m sorry I’m a little late. I guess age has caught up to me.” Kohaku sighed, bowing his head. Already he could hear her reply which made him chuckle.

‘Just like you to keep a mare waiting. Sheesh when are you going to get things together Forestsong!’ His friend’s voice echoed in his head.

Putting a paw on the statue’s head he sighed. “It’s starting again. Another you. Another life to live.” Tears slowly forming on the side of his eyes, Kohaku leaned in and nuzzled his head under the statues. “I can’t take it Pearl. Why… How long can I keep doing this? Finding and losing you all over again.” Falling to his knees, Kohaku lost himself in his tears as the shadows surrounded the glade, leaving them alone.