• Published 21st Jul 2022
  • 1,729 Views, 47 Comments

A Change Of Heart: Luna’s Gaze - The Royal Equestrian



A King sits on his throne wondering if what he is doing is really worth it, when he gets to Equestria he starts to think that maybe this might be his last chance for redemtion.

  • ...
4
 47
 1,729

Chapter 9 Road To Recovery

To say the workload that Luna had on her plate was overwhelming would be an understatement. Between her normal duties of trying to help ponies with their night terrors, raising and lowering the moon, establishing the Lunar Guard, trying to get back into the swing of things after her 1000-year banishment, and trying to help her sister by making a night court. She knew that things weren't going to be easy upon her return, but she would have never thought that it would be this bad, not to mention the mountain of paperwork she had to do.

Oh, and there was that new creature in Ponyville that she would have to keep an eye out for. As peaceful as he seemed on the outside when she met him, it could all be an act. It wouldn't be the first time someone tried to deceive her, but for now, she will give this human the benefit of the doubt that he is being truthful in his claims of peaceful migration.

Though to be on the safe side. "Lunar Priest Scarlet Blaze, could thou come in here for a moment?" Luna asked, looking at the door of her study as it opened revealing a stallion with a scarlet red coat, a brighter shade on his muzzle. He had a slick back white mane and tail, amber yellow eyes with cat like slits, leather bat wings with white outlining the boney sections of them and a slightly darker red for the wings themselves, though one massive identifying feature is that he was wearing slivery armor with navy blue accents and a crescent moon symbol on his chest contrasted with a black circle around it.

"Yes your grace," The red stallion asked, giving the Princess of the night a slight bow as he came in.

"We have new orders for thou." Luna said, pulling out a map and some documents. "We are tasking thee to keep an eye on a new creature in our lands, he currently resides in Ponyville, and he lives with our sister's protege Twilight Sparkle." Luna finished, sliding the document folders over to Scarlet who looked them over before giving a nod.

"Anything I need to know before I make my way over there?"

"His name is Douny O'Whelan, a strange name we must admit, his appearance similar to an amalgamation of a minotaur and a hairless small ape, which is oddly pleasing to the eye. He is also sapient, and can speak modern Equestrian." Luna then pointed to the document in front of Scarlet. "Any other information thou might need can be found in that folder."

With that Scarlet Blaze gave another bow before taking the documents, and leaving wondering to himself just what he was getting into.

🌙

Things for Douny weren't getting any better, granted they weren't getting worse but he would have thought that by now Twilight would have been able to help him a little but it seems he was wrong. Though he did appreciate how much she was trying but, unfortunately, it seemed nothing she could do was going to help him with the nightmares he was having. He thought it might be PTSD but that was ruled out due to the fact that A, he had been through worse and hadn't batted an eye at it, and B, he knew the signs and he only showed one of them, two at the very most. Though one thing that he had thought it could be is something magically induced, which Twilight agreed that it could be, but there was no way as of now to say if that was or wasn't the case.

But that didn't seem to stop the lavender unicorn as she went through every magical test she knew. Which unfortunately for Douny was strapped into several machines that he couldn't make heads or tails of what they did. Sitting in what Douny almost thought was an electric chair at first, he looked at Twilight with an unamused glare.

"Okay, how much of this is to help me, and how much of this is just for your curiosity? Douny asked, rolling his eyes with a sigh. He would definitely need a drink after this. Hopefully, he could find a bar I'm this town, and hopefully they won't immediately kick him out.

"I have to admit some of this is to quench my curiosity, but I assure you this is all very necessary to see if these nightmares you've been having are somehow magically induced," Twilight said, giving a sheepish look to the man. "Now try to get some rest, these machines will check for any magic if you have a nightmare again."

"Alright see you on the other side." Douny quipped, getting into a comfortable spot on the chair.

As the human fell unconscious, Twilight started looking through the readings, with nothing of note popping up to her disappointment. Though it was interesting seeing how his species' brain functioned as it slept, from what the readings gave his brain activity was much more active than a ponies was during rest. But aside from that nothing. A few hours had passed by and still nothing Twilight was going to turn everything off until one of the machines gave off a strange reading.

It was faint, almost undetectable, but something magical was going on in his body during rest. Sadly as quickly as it came it went away, making Twilight sigh in mild frustration. Though with that bad news came some good when Douny started coming too, he would want to know what she found; she was sure of it.

"Hey Douny, wake up, I think we found something." Twilight softly spoke, nudging the man to get up.

"Oh, what's going on?" Douny groaned, blinking his blurry eyes awake.

"One of the machines detected a small magical signature. It was very faint but I thought you might want to take a look at it."

Taking a minute Douny got up to his feet, popping some of his bones and his knuckles, he made his way next to Twilight. Looking at the chart on the machine, Douny couldn't make heads or tails of it. Giving the purple unicorn a questioning look, Twilight began explaining the chart.

"This line right here is your brain activity, it's higher than what I'm used to but I'm guessing that's normal for you." Twilight said, looking back at the human who nodded along in confirmation. "This small bump at the bottom of the chart is reading magic in your body. The whole night it was at zero until a moment before I woke you, which leads me to a theory." Douny was about the interject but before he could get a word in Twilight started going off on her tangent.

"Now I know you said before that humans don't have magic, but what if the background magic is somehow affecting you, and you keep getting these nightmares from it." Twilight was about to continue until Douny interrupted her rant.

"Or it could be nothing at all, and your machine just glitched, hell you said yourself that there's background magic, it's probably just that." Douny stated, rolling his eyes at the situation.

"That… makes a lot more sense now that you say it out loud." Twilight gave a defeated sigh before packing away all the test equipment in their containers.

"Hey don't beat yourself up over it, I honestly find it kind of reassuring that there isn't any magic affecting my dreams." Douny stated as he slumped onto the chair he had slept.

"You're right, it's just… we were this close to getting to the bottom of your nightmares and we only dug up another dead end." Twilight said, resting her head down on a table in a defeated manner.

"Honestly it's getting on my nerves too, but there's nothing we can do about it now, so let's just call it a day." Douny stated, to which Twilight gave a slight nod in agreement before the two retired from the library.

🌙

To say Scarlet was curious about this new assignment wouldn't be quite right, it's more that he's curious as to who, or what he's going to be keeping an eye on. For Luna to assign him to this job must mean that either this creature is potentially so dangerous that he requires a Lunar Priest to deal with, or he may be something of great value to Equestria. Whatever the case may be he is more than willing and able to execute his orders.

Though one of his questions is soon to be answered, as he is within a mile of Ponyville. Diving low to make sure he's not spotted by any passerby he takes the rest of the flight going through the trees until he makes it to the tree line. Once at the tree line however, Scarlet takes out a book from his saddlebags until he finds the page he was looking for and begins a chant of sorts, making him nearly invisible, and quickly makes his way to the nearest rooftop.

As he goes from rooftop to rooftop he then spots an unusual creature, undoubtedly the same one he has been tasked to keep an eye on. Keeping his distance he tails them for a good couple dozen meters until he notices some odd body language from the creature before he leans down, to speak who Scarlet assumes is Twilight. Not long after the creature stood straight again they moved to a nearby alleyway.

Even though Scarlet finds this strange he still follows them down the alley until he gets boxed in by the two. Twilight is in front of him with a look of confusion as Douny makes his way to block the entrance, assuming he hasn't been spotted yet he sneaks to the corner until the human speaks up.

"You can drop the spell now, I already know you've been following us." Douny stated giving a serious look near where Scarlet was. "I just want to know why you've been tailing us and for how long."

Now knowing his cover has been blown, Scarlet took back out the book and did a chant to undo the clocking blessing. When he becomes visible Twilight gives a surprised look, while Douny gives a confused look. Scarlet focuses on the human trying to get a better look at him.

"My name's Scarlet Blaze, I'm a Lunar Priest and commander of the Lunar Knights." Scarlet answers honestly "I was tasked by Princess Luna herself to keep an eye on you, though as of why I am not entirely sure."

"I guess that makes sense, I'd honestly do the same in her shoes." Douny shrugs. "Your surveillance of me won't be intrusive right?"

"It shouldn't be no. I'm only tasked to keep an eye on you, I don't care what you do honestly."

"Alright also what exactly are you, I've seen a lot of pony races in my time here but I've never seen one that looks like you before?" Douny questions looking Scarlet up and down.

"I'm a thestral, though most just call us bat ponies." Scarlet answered, slightly annoyed at the nickname of his species. "Though if I may ask, how did you know I was following you?"

"Trust me, when you have the profession I was in and been around in it as long as I have you become very perceptive." Douny answered, looking back on his old life for a short time. "And no I don't want to talk about it, I haven't even told purple smart over there." Douny finished, as Twilight gave him an unamused glare.

"I understand, anyway if that's all I'll be back to my duties."

"Of stalking me?" Douny raised a brow

"Yup!" The thestral joked, chuckling to himself

With that Scarlet did his chant to become clocked himself again and flew off onto a nearby rooftop. He had to admit that this Douny wasn't all that bad of a guy, perhaps he'll have to talk with him more, and he could see what Luna meant by him not looking bad. He was honestly expecting a more brutish appearance. He was happy with what information he could gain from the conversation as well. But for now, he'll stay out of his way and watch him.

Douny didn't know what to make of this strange new pony. He seemed respectable enough, though he didn't know how to feel about being spied on. But at least his perception is as sharp as it's ever been to be able to notice that bat pony. But the questions he has will have to wait his hungry, and Twilight wanted to show him a bakery in town, if he remembered correctly it was called Sugarcube Corner. With that thought occupying his mind, he sets off with Twilight to continue their day.

🌙

Rainbow Dash was planning out what she would do to help Douny's situation with the ponies of Ponyville. She took some of the papers she wrote on in her hoof and looked them over. She had been working all night this time and still had nothing to show for it. It was honestly starting to get on her last nerve. But she also doesn't feel like she has much room to talk after Zecora came to Ponyville everyone kept away from her. Perhaps that's what's going on between Douny and them.

Though that thought about Zecora did give her a new idea. Perhaps she could get those two to meet. If anything it may make Douny not feel a bit better about the situation. Yeah, that seemed like a solid plan.

As Rainbow was writing that plan down she heard a knock at the door. Putting down her pin she got up from her table and walked to the front door and opened it to see that Applejack had come to visit.

"Hey, there AJ what's up?" Rainbow Dash asked, letting her in.

"Not that much honestly ah was thinken about that feller Douny, he seems to be doin' better and all. But the folk round her don't seem to trust em as far as they could throw em." Applejack explained with her ears drooped down.

"I've been thinking the same thing. Though I had an idea to introduce him to Zecora and see if that would help." Rainbow Dash said, handing her over the paper she was writing on.

"Ah think this'll be a good idea, but how're ya gonna pull it off?" Asked Applejack, looking over the page.

"Oh, that parts gonna be easy, I'll just invite them both over here." Rainbow Dash stated, with a look of determination in her eyes.

"Err does Douny know where ya live?" Applejack asked.

Just like that, that determined look deflated like a balloon. She honestly didn't think about that. She will have to go and see him soon to show him her places so he knows where it is. But still, the plan can work, it'll just have to be put on hold for now.

"I'll figure that part out, but in the meantime, I'll come up with some other stuff that could work if that doesn't." Rainbow Dash answered, with that determined look back on her face.

"Alright, well ah ought to be goin, the rest of the family needs me on the farm to help with the Nightmare Night tomorrow would ya be kind enough to help?" Applejack asked.

"Sure I still need someone to bounce ideas off of."

With that, the two mares went off. Rainbow Dash felt happy that she was able to come up with a plan that might help Douny. She may not have trusted him at first but he has proven that he is a good friend in her eyes. As much as he tries to act like they're not friends.

🌙

Twilight and Douny eventually got back home, they were out much later than they had thought, by the time they got home the sun was setting and the moon had come over the horizon. Aside from that conversation with Scarlet, the day was mostly uneventful. Though Twilight wanted to do one more test to see if she can figure out what was causing his nightmares, to which Douny agreed.

This test was a bit different from what Twilight had told him. Douny felt weary about it but agreed. So he prepared himself for what it would be but was confused when Twilight pulled up two chairs in her telekinesis. Douny sat on one side with Twilight sitting on the other.

"Now Douny you may not like this but this may help us figure out what's causing your nightmares." Twilight said a bit reluctantly. This put the man on edge

"Twilight, what exactly have you planned?" Douny asked, to which Twilight ignored the question, if she was going to do this she needed to go for it.

"What are your nightmares usually about?"

That question struck a nerve with the human as he gave a hard glare at the lavender unicorn. "That's none of your business." Douny deadpanned.

"Douny this is important, I've tried everything else I know to figure this out without doing this but this is our only option." Twilight pleaded.

"I don't care, me and you aren't that close for me to tell you something that personal." Douny stated flatly trying to remain calm.

"Douny it can't be that bad. Please just…" Twilight started but never finished that sentence as Douny slammed his fist into his knees.

"YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CLUE WHAT I'VE FUCKING DONE!" Douny shouted as his mental dam broke as he took quivering breaths.

There was silence as Douny's eyes were closed, when he opened them he deeply regretted it. The look of utter terror on Twilight's face filled him with regret and he didn't know why. He took a few more shaky breaths to calm himself down before he got to say anything however she had already bolted off.

He honestly didn't mean to do that. What the fuck was wrong with him, how could he have lost his cool that easily. He had been through so much worse yet some minor questions were what broke his resolve. He tried to stand up but couldn't summon enough energy to follow her. So he decided to take a small rest, then after he woke up, he would leave. He knew he was no longer welcome in this place anymore.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading this new chapter this one took longer then I expected it would, and thank you to all who have been sticking with this story so far. Chapter 10 should hopefully be out before April and that chapter should be coming out with chapter 1 of a story that will be written along side this one and chapter 10 is going to be an extra long one so stay tuned.

SPOILERS

Chapter 10 Kindred Spirit