• Published 7th May 2022
  • 573 Views, 32 Comments

The Unknown Daughter's Reunion:Part 3 - Disembodied_Pony



The princesses survived the coup, recovered their strength, and now Equestria needs them back

  • ...
1
 32
 573

Interlude

Author's Note:

This entry is admittedly; a self-indulgent world-fleshing-out one.
(Working through a motivation slump, though Chapter 2: On Dangerous Ground, is in the works)

The genesis of this being:
That for more than a year now, I've had this image of an orchestra of the 'Ponies of the Empire' performing these (in lieu of the Royal Philharmonic), nearly a thousand years from now.
During the uptempo ones; Their rear hooves stomping in time, ponies in the audience rearing up, kicking their front legs and dancing in the aisles, pegasi dancing with each other in the air...

The image never ceases to give me chills.

Where if anything from now were to make it that far; I'd hope it would be something in a timeless fashion like this.
Perhaps; the 'ones lost' even looking on and thinking; 'It wasn't all for nothing, now was it?'

Also, embeds are crazy limited, no floats nor timecode skips.

Eleven Months Ago

In the castle of the empress, at the heart of the First City;

Princess Luna was staring at a data pad. Deciding if it would be worth the frustration in finding something suitable to read in it's library of options. Despite how well it was designed, she was missing the simplicity of a common paper book upon a shelf.

Breaking her from her thoughts; There was a knock on the chamber door of the suite she was staying in.

Responding to the knocking, the princess called;

"Enter."

The door unlatching and opening; the empress herself walked in.

"Good afternoon, princess" Moon greeted her mother.

"Same to you, your highness. To what do I owe the pleasure?" Luna replied.

"Between conducting court, and overseeing preparations for another sojourn to Equestria; An interesting proposal has been made to me today?" her highness said with a tiny smile.

"Oh? I can't imagine what it could possibly be this time. In the three months we've been here; I've heard proposals from your ponies, ranging from: Naming one of the colonies after me, to Constructing a castle of my own. It is really too much" Luna replied.

"I told you that you would fine them welcoming. I did not exaggerate" Moon replied with a warm laugh.

"No. That, you did not. However, to go around 'making a castle' is simply preposterous. Surely your ponies have more important things to be considering?" Luna asked with slight exasperation.

"Well.. First, you give yourself too little credit, however that is fine. Second, like it or not, you are very warmly regarded by the empire" the empress told her.

"Yes, yes... I still can't get my mind around the whole.. you know" Luna replied, awkwardly.

"I understand, and I will not press you on it. My ponies however, I can do little about" Moon smiled at her.

"So; What then, was the proposal?" Luna asked.

"A performance, in your honor. All four of you. Be on your guard however, they are still attempting to give you something" the empress teased.

"Ah. Ha, I suppose that is more reasonable than a castle. Have you asked the others?" Luna prompted the dark alicorn.

"I have not yet. I wanted to ask you all together, however I came as soon as my schedule allowed."

"You should have had a courtier or such summon us, your time is more valuable for the moment" Luna hastily replied, hiding a little sadness in her tone.

"Nonsense. A vacation is just as important as work. Besides, I do not like being the empress with the four of you, especially you" Moon admitted to the princess.

"Now, who is spoiling me?" Luna asked with a grin.

"If not you, then whom would I spoil?" the empress declared with a laugh.

"Fine then, I'll go. Let me know when" the princess confirmed.

"I shall. If you will excuse me, I have more guests to ask?"

With the princess's nod of approval, the empress let herself out of Luna's chambers.

Turning around, Luna walked out onto the balcony. Looking over the skyline; Seeing ponies walking around, the occasional pegasus flying above the buildings alongside flying machines, she thought to herself;

'It's strange? A different world, different ponies, and a different rule... But much is still familiar as always.'


Arriving at the concert hall, all four princesses, the empress included; Stepped out of their carriage and onto the walk.

This carriage was made special for the occasion. It was very ornate, and pony pulled.

Pulled carriages and chariots were outmoded before the city was built nearly a millennia ago.

Ground bound ponies: Had always either walked, or taken subterranean transport across town. At least, when it was just one city.
When it grew into many cities; flying transports had already come into being.

Thinking of the performance tonight; The empress knew that her 'little sister' Whistle Wind would be performing, her being a flutist of great skill. Also, there being no chance that she would miss the opportunity to perform in front of visiting royalty.
This place was Whistle Wind's home away from home. She lived here in the First City, and spent most of her time here at the hall. The only times she didn't, was when she was abroad, performing.

In the presence of her highness's Ceremonial Guard; The princesses greeted the ponies waiting outside for their arrival.

Where they were standing, was not the original location that it was built on. Originally, it was much smaller; Located at a site in the city where there was once a solar array field.

Having been moved twice and expanded, it was now a sizable establishment. Now built on a site that was once a power generating facility, which harnessed its fuel from the earth in gaseous form. Dating back to the cities founding.

It seemed poetic to think that now beautiful music was made, on the land where previously; the loud noise of machines once hummed ceaselessly.

Escorted by her highness' guard, they made their way upstairs and to the royal box. The princesses now being able to make their way up the stairs under their own power.

Looking out over the gathered audience, the princesses saw that there were two huge portrait displays showing portions of the orchestra. At both sides of the stage, the views that showed, panned across the entirety of the assembled players; which were many. The ponies, while remaining professional, gave the occasional smile to the audience. Knowing they were being seen across the empire tonight; it was hard to keep their enthusiasm in check.

Trading nods between them, the conductor nodded to the stage pony whom relayed the order to the sound, lighting, and recording crews.

As the lights came up, everypony in the audience quieted down in anticipation for what was to come.

In the royal box, the princesses were looking at the programs they were hooved.

"This first piece: 'Wish you were here'.. What is it about?" Cadance asked.

The empress replied;

"It was written by a stallion while thinking of his close friend."

"It, refers to the sad tale of his friends life. Whom, and with no intention of his own; Became lost of himself, as well as all around him. And having had fallen into steep decline, was never the same as he once was."

"Hence, though his friend was still around physically, he was not otherwise, and the writer wished that he was."

"This one?" Celestia asked, referring to: Follow You Follow Me.

"It is a love song. The two, taking turns leading the other through life" Moon replied.

Timecode skip link (right-click)
As the performance went on; The empress was mouthing the words to the melody silently; She knew this one by heart.

"Sunbeam and Moonbeam?"
Twilight queried the empress.

*Sunbeam and Moonbeam

"Siblings. They worked hard to establish one of the colonies.
While met with continuous setbacks, they never gave in,
and eventually brought their dreams to fruition"
the empress replied.

As the music played, almost all of the earth ponies in the audience tapped their hooves to the rhythm. This melody spoke volumes to the ponies of the land.

*Haystacks

"This one is a story of a budding romance between two neighbors"
the empress told them.


Couples in the audience leaned into each other, becoming swept up in the melody's theme.

"What is this one about?"
Luna asked, suspicions of "Mama"s meaning.

"It is bizarre, and somewhat unsettling.
I would rather not say, as it would spoil the composition."

"I will say that it is not the familial use of the word" Moon admitted awkwardly.

Timecode skip link (right-click)

Half way through the performance of the piece; Some ponies in the audience got up from their seats, proceeded to the aisles and began dancing with each other.

While an increasing number of ponies began dancing, the empress's guard captain came up to her and whispered to her.
Nodding, she turned to the princesses.

"Please excuse me for a few moments, there is a matter I must attend to. I will be back shortly" the empress excused herself.

Looking to the performance program once again, a thought crossed Luna's mind.
'I wonder..'


As the lights came back up again, everypony quieted down.

Looking at the orchestra; The cellists, had changed out their conventional instruments for a more sophisticated looking fare.

As they began running their bows across the strings, it produced a rougher sound.

When the bongos and guitars started to play, princess Luna smiled. Her recognizing the melody, and making sense of the empress's departure minutes ago.

Though she said nothing, she kept her eyes to her sister and the other princesses; having figured out what was about to happen.

Meanwhile, ponies in the audience throughout the hall; Hopped up and leaned on the backs of the seats in front of them. Others were smiling broadly. Many more started to cheer, recognizing the melody as well, without needing to even look at the program.

As the flutists began to blow with the beat coming in, the empress herself walked confidently onto the stage.

Ponies began cheering loudly, and would have drown out the instruments; had they not been amplified by the concert hall's acoustics systems.

Luna however, was not disappointed by the sight of the other princesses. Their expressions were priceless; Muzzles hanging open, and their eyes couldn't get any bigger.

Their hypnotic spell of shock however, was broken when she started to sing...

Luna giggled as the other princesses' heads tilted a bit, and their ears swiveled; Trying to comprehend the words they were hearing.


By the second stanza; The unicorns in the audience, one by one, began glowing the tips of their horns.

The ponies in the audience began joining in, singing backup.

At the second chorus, most of the audience was now singing along.

The empress... by this point, was glowing the tip of her horn Back to the audience. Showing her appreciation for their support.

Meanwhile, the princesses sitting in the royal box, were finding it all incredibly surreal; That ponies were singing back to the empress in an alien tongue, and in complete harmony.

When the song ended, the empress bowed to the audience in appreciation of their warm reception and participation.

With the curtain having come down, the princesses looked to each other. As if to check if they had really just witnessed what had transpired.

That is, until Celestia looked at Luna and saw her amused expression.

"Why are you smiling like that sister?" Celestia asked.

"Your expression and reaction, dear sister. It was hilarious" Luna laughed.

"What's so funny about it?" Cadance asked, like she just got caught with her hoof in a cookie jar.

"It was perfect. Our host just serenaded her guests and her subjects, and you were none the wiser to any of it beforehoof."

"You knew?!" Twilight asked, stunned.

"Not at first. Though the title was familiar. When it began to play however, the empress's departure became apparent" Luna replied matter-of-factly.

"Well, what was it about then?" Twilight pressed her

"Hmm, something about the future, and not giving in. It's a cheerful song" Luna replied, as if it were nothing out of the ordinary; Much to the other princesses annoyance.

"Well. I guess that would explain the fanfare?" Cadance guessed.

Nodding, Luna looked back to the program in her hoof. Reading the next piece that was to be played:

'Star Chariot'

When the curtain rose again, the empress had taken a seat alongside the orchestra, a cello in front of her.

Playing the cello; she joined in played the low notes in Star Chariot, as well adaptations of;

Mare with Power

Plucking the strings, the empress provided the bass for the melody;

Didn't it Rain

Afterward, being escorted back to the royal box by her guard; the empress took her seat with the princesses as if nothing unusual had just happened.

"Do you, do that often?" Celestia asked her.

"Every few years. On special occasions I do, and this night easily qualified as such" The empress revealed.

Turning her attention back to the orchestra playing, she didn't notice Celestia's lingering gaze. The princess finally starting to see what the 'Nightmare' had grown up into. She was a 'pony of the populous', the farthest thing from a subjective ruler that she expected the empress of being.

Before the next song began, the empress turned her head to the princesses and answered the question on their minds;

"This one; "Thats All" is about the friction between two ponies that are in love. Despite all of it however, they stay together"
the empress volunteered.

Timecode skip link (right-click)

Almost immediately, ponies began tapping their hooves in time with the music. A few immediately making their way back to the aisles. As the number went on, the aisles became packed with dancing ponies, pegasi taking to the air above the audience to do the same.

The orchestra; Were stomping their hooves in time, punctuating the beat while they played. When it ended, the thunderous sound of the clopping and stomping of hooves flooded the hall.