• Published 2nd Jun 2022
  • 1,763 Views, 32 Comments

Hopes and Dreams at Canterlot High - Rainbow Sparkle



Frisk and the Monsters of Ebott move to Canterlot, and Frisk begins attending Canterlot High.

  • ...
5
 32
 1,763

Chapter 1

Author's Note:

Hello all~! The idea for this story, a companion to Asriel Dreemurr, Prince of the Night came to me a few days after I hit the half way point for chapter 4 of the aforementioned story. I only just started working on this today (5/5/22) and already I have chapter 1 ready and raring to go~!

6/2 Update: I decided to go ahead and put this up while working on the 4th chapter for it. Once chapter 4 is done and dealt with, I'll be adding it in and then getting to more work on chapter 5 of Asriel Dreemurr, Prince of the Night~!

Folks might notice a glaring time difference here in this first chapter that might make you go "Wait, this is happening at the same time as my other story? HOW?" and the answer I'm going with is timey whimey whibbly nonsense and weird portal mechanics. To distract you from further questions, have a slice of cake!

The sun shone high in the sky, with nary a cloud in sight to hide its light or warmth. The sound of birds singing and bugs chittering was overshadowed by the sounds of kids at play, enjoying yet another delightful summer day to the fullest extent they could.

With that was, at least one exception.

Frisk sat in the swing, alone and isolated as they watched the other children, big and small, running amok about the park. They were all playing in groups with one another, having the time of their lives, which should have made Frisk happy.

But there was a crucial detail that hung over the fun, something that for Frisk at least, only added to the weight they felt upon their shoulders.

One group of children was Human. The other consisted of various Monsters. And while they were playing, they were doing so separately. Kept apart by both a local police officer, and a few older children and parents who kept a wary eye on the Monsters. Nearby, a familiar bunny Monster from Snowdin watched the children with a sad smile while casting wary glances over at the humans as she took sips from a big jug of water.

It was a scene Frisk had seen several times in the last year, ever since the Barrier had been broken and the Monsters freed. One that Frisk had tried to change, countless times, to no real avail.

Frisk sighed, giving themselves a half-hearted push in the swing, their feet dangling and kicking a bit at the air as they muttered unkind words for their hometown. Frisk had, like so many of the Monsters, such high hopes when they’d all descended down the mountain. Growing up in the isolated, rural city, Frisk had always felt like it was a friendly and welcoming place. They had been so full of excitement at getting to show the Monsters around town. To share so many new experiences with them, and to help them make so many new friends.

They’d gotten to do two of those things. Sort of. It’d only taken the better part of two months to get permission for small groups to wander about the city.

Sadly, no new friends were made. And as it turned out, Frisk had lost the handful of Human friends they’d had before they fell into the Underground.

Ebott, it turned out, was very much not fond of Monsters. Something Frisk found to be increasingly frustrating and depressing as each week and month dragged on, with no progress for getting the Monsters settled into the city.

Which was why they were here at the park. Their mother, Toriel, had been growing a bit worried about them, and so gave them the day off from their studies. She recommended a trip to the park with Sans, while she attended another meeting with Asgore to try and make some headway with the City Council and Mayor.

“Try to enjoy yourself, get some fresh air and sunshine, and enjoy the good weather!” Toriel had told them after another wonderful, hearty breakfast. And like a good child who always strived to make their parent happy, Frisk had tried.

Sadly, reality had been intent on reminding Frisk of the very things bothering them.

“hey kiddo, wanna a push?”

Frisk perked up a bit, smiling a bit as they glanced to their left. The swing next to them was now occupied by one of their best friends from the whole Underground.

“Nah I’m good Sans. Thanks for the offer though.”

Sans shrugged. “suit yourself, figured ya just might need a little help to swing outta the funk you’re in.”

Frisk giggled at the bad pun, their spirits lifting, if only by a bit. “Think it’ll take a fair bit more than a friendly push to do that.”

Sans glanced off towards the Humans, many of whom seemed more on edge with him present. Most of the Human children didn’t pay him too much mind, but they did move a bit further away from the side of the playground the two were in.

“too right about that. not much this ol bag o bones can do to help on that front.” He remarked, only for his ever present grin to widen.

“but something tells me the text message you’re about to get might do the trick.”

Frisk quirked an eyebrow at that, only to squeak as their phone let out a pleasant ding. They shot Sans a look, then pulled it out and pulled up the message in question. It was from Toriel, and as they read, their eyes grew wide.

‘Frisk! You won’t believe the good news we just got! Well, it's sort of good news but also sad, but better news than you might have expected! A different city has offered all of the Monsters a place to settle, to call home!’

‘I’ll share all the details when Sans brings ya back home, but we’re finally being given a chance Frisk~! It may not have been here in your hometown like you wanted, but soon all the Monsters will get a chance to integrate into Human society!’

Frisk stared at the text for a moment before they blinked a few times. Then they let out a whoop and a holler, hopping off the swing and doing a little dance of joy. Frisk didn’t care that it caused the other Humans to shoot them confused looks, they were too happy.

“guess my hunch was a homerun eh?.” Sans said with his own chortle, slumping out of his swing and stuffing his hands in his pockets. Frisk stuck their tongue out at him, then stepped closer as they said,

“Are you kidding? After a whole year of no luck? This is wonderful news! I’d already started to give up on Ebott, so I don’t mind moving somewhere else. In fact, I’m excited for it!” Frisk let out a little squeal, before putting their hand on Sans shoulder. “I’m ready to head on back whenever ya are.”

“heh, that’s the spirit kiddo. now, hang on, i know a shortcut.” He replied, smirking as he reciprocated. Frisk braced themselves as everything spun about, tumbled around, and did a twist that always left them feeling a little squished and stretched out. But when it was done, the park was gone, and instead, they were standing next to a large purple tent, a little flag of the Kingdom of Monsters flapping in the wind beside it.

Giving Frisk’s shoulder a light pat, Sans said, “i already got the short version of it, so you go ahead and walk on in kid. i’ve got to go share it with papyrus, undyne, and the dogs so they can help spread the word. king fluffybuns is gonna do a big announcement for it in a bit.”

“Alright. See ya later Sans!” Frisk replied, happily darting into the tent and calling out “Mom! Mom! Is it true? Is it really, really true?”

Toriel, who had been cooking something on the portable stove the tent had, turned and opened her arms as Frisk rushed over. She scooped the young Human up, giving them a light spin before setting Frisk on the stool nearby.

“Yes, it really is true.” Toriel said, her own eyes gleaming brightly. “Asgore and I finished talking with the Mayor of Canterlot just a short time ago. She was very sincere, and apologetic about the treatment we’ve gotten thus far since leaving the Underground.”

“Canterlot? Haven’t heard of it.” Frisk remarked, finding the name a bit strange but not the strangest they’d heard of. “She does know its not her fault the adults here in Ebott are being bigoted asses right?”

“Frisk! Language!” Toriel chided, even as she muttered, “Even if you’re not wrong.” Frisk snickered a bit, as Toriel answered, “It is a couple hours north of Ebott, in a neighboring state. The Mayor said she’ll be happy to help provide transport for everyone, though we’ll likely have to go in small groups a day at a time.”

Toriel gave the pot on her stove a quick check, then picked up a laptop that Alphys had loaned her and passed it over to Frisk. On the screen was a website for the city in question, showing off the various sights and attractions, pictures and details about the two incredible schools it boasted. A bar on the side showed statements from residents, tourists, and people passing through, all talking about how friendly, inclusive, and inviting the city and its residents were.

The most interesting detail was a section talking about a huge expansion the city was working on, with a Blog for the city noting that the city was working hard to attract new residents and businesses to come settle down and build roots in places old and new alike.

“Well, it certainly looks like a nice place. Then again, I thought Ebott was a nice place too.” Frisk spoke rather frankly, looking over to her mother and asking, “Are we sure this is all on the up and up?”

“While I understand your wariness, we are quite sure.” Toriel remarked. “We’ve been in discussion with her for two weeks. That little trip out of town that Asgore and I had last week was a tour of Canterlot and a meeting with their City Council. The reception and reaction folks had there was the complete opposite of what we got here.” She paused then, and added, “Well, except for one girl who leapt into the air, gasped, then dashed off. While mid-air.”

That got a quirk of a brow from Frisk, but Toriel just chuckled and waved it off. “I have quite a bit of faith and hope that this will go over well, and that everyone will be able to find a place to call their own.”

“And the catch?” Frisk asked, earning a bit of a pause from Toriel, who moved over to a small table nearby and picked up some papers. She handed them over to Frisk, swapping them for the laptop as Frisk began giving them a once over.

“I don’t know if I’d quite call them catches, given we’re getting boons in exchange. But for a start, part of the deal involves the Kingdom of Monsters investing between twenty-five and fifty percent of the gold we have in various projects across the city in the first year of our residing there.” That caused Frisk’s head to shoot up, but Toriel smiled and continued.

“What we invest it in is up to us, so it isn't like we’re being forced to put our wealth into something specific. In exchange for it, all the Monsters don’t have to worry too much about rent, as the City will subsidize them. Also, Canterlot would like to partner with our scientists to explore more ways to combine Magic and technology, and conduct further studies in Magic generally.”

Frisk bit their bottom lip a bit in thought at that. “That’s it?” At Toriel’s nod, Frisk simply said, “Huh… well, that’s… a much better deal than I was expecting.”

Toriel offered a sad smile. “Ebott’s stonewalling and nigh impossible terms have certainly lowered the bar for our expectations. There are some other minor details, but they’re things we’re more than happy to do. It’s a big reason why the King and I both think Mayor Mare is being sincere.”

It was Toriel’s turn to quirk a brow when Frisk snorted at the Mayor’s name. Frisk chortled a bit, explaining, “Mayor Mare, of Canterlot… fitting. And if I read the bit about the school, they’re sports teams are called Wondercolts. Quite an equestrian city, aren’t they?”

“Well, when you say it like that… does fit a bit of a pattern mhmhm.” Toriel chuckled, soon grinning as her eyes lit up. “Oh my, if that’s the case, I’d better brush up on my horse puns with Sans. It’ll be a great way to pass the time on the trip there.”

Frisk groaned, hiding their head in their hands for a moment, which only made Toriel giggle and snort some more.

“You’ll both need to pace yourselves with them. Otherwise it’ll be like beating a dead horse.”

Toriel smirked. “It just means we’ll need to pony up and be on our A-game with them~”

They shared a laugh over that for about a minute, Toriel having to stop to check the soup she was making. As she lowered the heat and gave it a few stirs, Frisk asked, “So then, when are we moving?”

“Tomorrow morning, as a matter of fact.” Toriel replied. “Tis one reason why I had Sans go ahead and bring you right over.” She dipped a finger into the pot and gave the soup a taste, smiling as she went ahead and swapped it for a pan while pulling out some bread and cheese. “I figured after a late lunch, you could help me start packing. We’ll be part of the first group headed over.”

“Perfect!” Frisk declared, hurrying over and grabbing a bowl and plate for them both. “Never thought I’d say this, but I’ll be so glad to leave this city far behind and never look back.”

“Now Frisk.” Toriel began, “This is still your hometown. You have good memories here. And your Uncle’s grave is here.”

Frisk had the good sense to dip their head at that as they set the table. “Yeah well, Sans can always shortcut me to the cemetery here if I want to say hi to Uncle Toby. And well, after this last year… the place leaves a bad taste in my mouth.”

Toriel tried to say something in response to that, but found that she couldn’t come up with a good argument. So with a sad nod, she simply pursed her lips and focused on grilling their sandwiches.

-*-

The rest of that day was spent packing, not that they had a great deal to pack. But they did have to help their friends a bit, chiefly Alphys since she had some equipment she’d brought up from her lab she was taking in the first wave.

At the announcement Asgore gave, Frisk learned that Ebott was actually going to be ‘helping’ in providing a bit of additional transportation. Asgore didn’t have to say why, since the City Councilman who’d come to affirm such made it plain enough when he said the city was more than happy to help get rid of ‘freaks’.

Frisk didn’t like the idea of fighting. They didn’t enjoy the thought of hurting someone, even by accident. But boy, did they really want to run up there and kick that man between the legs.

That evening, they had trouble sleeping, excited beyond belief at the prospect of moving to a new city. Frisk had never really gotten to go anywhere outside of Ebott, so this was in many ways like a brand new adventure to them. What sleep they did get was a bit restless and fitful, but they did eventually manage some.

A cup of Golden Flower tea from Asgore was enough to help perk Frisk up as they stood with a group of about five hundred other Monsters and watched the numerous buses pull up. Asgore and Toriel both blinked in surprise as a woman in a suit and gray hair stepped on off the lead bus, Frisk giving Toriel a curious tilt of their head. They didn’t get a proper chance to inquire though, as the woman strolled over to them and shook each of their hands.

“Morning everyone! Hope you’re all as excited as the rest of us to be taking you to your new home in Canterlot!” The woman said enthusiastically. “I’ll be your Mayor, though for the next few hours for some of you, I’ll be your driver. Figured for such wonderful folks as yourselves, was only fair I go the extra mile to make you all feel welcome!”

Frisk blinked in surprise along with Asgore and Toriel, but was the first to recover as they said, “Well, as the Ambassador for the Monsters, I can certainly say after the treatment we’ve gotten this last year, this does wonders to make me feel like you really want us in your city.”

Mayor Mare smirked. “Given what I’ve heard, I can understand that fully. Honestly, some people…” She shook her head in disgust before perking back up. “Regardless! We’ve got a bit of a trip before us, so if you’ll all file on the buses of your choice, we’ll be ready to hit the road!”

With a bit of help from a few other volunteers, it took only an hour to get the trucks with the few possessions many Monsters were bringing along with them situated, and less time for the Monsters and Frisk to clamber aboard the long buses.

Frisk and Toriel made a point of sitting up near the front. Asgore took a spot in the middle, letting him converse with Alphys and Sans as Papyrus and Undyne talked animatedly over some comics they’d brought along for the ride. Frisk was practically bouncing in their seat, leaning forward and gazing out the wide front windows as Mayor Mare climbed back in and slid into the driver's seat.

“Alright, let’s get this show on the road!” Mayor Mare said, to cheers and shouts of excitement and jubilation across the bus. With a pull of a lever and a flick of a switch, the bus roared to life and they were soon rolling down the highway.

True to their word, Frisk didn’t once look back as they left their hometown behind them. Frisk could only look ahead, to new horizons and new experiences, and hopefully, many, many more friends.