• Published 16th Sep 2012
  • 604 Views, 2 Comments

A Place For My Thoughts - Cavemonkynick



The Journal of Devin Windelbane

  • ...
 2
 604

A New Beginning

Spring, Week 8, Day 6, Year 990 of Celestia’s Reign (CR)

The last few days have been pretty good. The other day I finally got my cast removed and the doc cleared me for that special therapy provided I get the funding. My wing is still a little sore but it is amazing how liberating it is to be rid of that bucking chunk of plaster even though it took forever to get all my feathers straightened. Can’t fly on it yet, but that’s not exactly a drastic change from the norm so yeah.

Then yesterday Shining Armor took me up to Canterlot Castle so we could talk to the captain of the Lunar Guard, Shimmering Sky. He was an older unicorn stallion with a pale brown coat, a black mane, and a cutie mark that looked like the night sky had smudged his flank, stars and all. Shining introduced me and I told Sky my story.

When I was done he looked at me and asked, “What do you want from me?”

I replied, “A chance to start over sir.” He didn’t respond, instead he just looked at me for a minute or two. Honestly it was a little creepy but I felt like I was being sized up or tested or something so I stared right back.

Finally he spoke. “Alright kid, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I’ll give you a shot. If all else fails you can push paperwork.”

I told him if that’s what it took I’d gladly do it. So we filled out all the forms and Sky told me he’d get in touch with the hospital about the therapy and send word when it was time for me to start, which I was told today I start the day after tomorrow.

I also wrote my father a letter today, nothing special just letting him know that I was ok and that I’d found the chance to prove myself I was looking for. It was a lot harder to write than I expected.

Dad was always supportive of me. He never doubted me. He never put me down when I failed a flight exam. He was great… It really made leaving hard, but I couldn’t hurt him anymore. Dad is a respected stallion in Cloudsdale. He works at the cloud factory. He’s not too high up the ladder but he likes where he is and he’s been there for 30 years. I just… I don’t want to let him down…

I feel bad that I didn’t tell him I was leaving. He probably would have helped me out. Then again I might have never met Shining Armor.

I’m over-thinking this. I’m terrible about that. The next thing you know I’ll be spiraling down into “what if’s.”

What if I had been born normal? What if I had died leaving Cloudsdale? What if Shimmering Sky hadn’t given me a chance? It’s a bad road that I refuse to walk again. Questions beyond my ability to answer, the “what if’s,” they leave me drained, depressed. And getting worked up over circumstances out of my control is nothing but a waste of time and sanity. I’ve got nowhere left to go but forward now, and I intend to make the most of it.