• Published 19th Apr 2022
  • 814 Views, 57 Comments

The Mark of the Soul - Comicizzum



Who gets to decide somepony's destiny? Fluttershy and Discord have a choice to make. But can they really let each other go?

  • ...
0
 57
 814

Divine Intervention

“Are you sure about this?” Applejack asked as the six pony friends entered the Everfree Forest.

“I am,” Fluttershy said, lying through her teeth.

In all honesty she was a nervous wreck. She did not want to do this but it was the only way she could free Discord from her silly fantasies. She had to see this through. For him. Steeling herself, she quickened her pace, leading her friends deeper into the Everfree.

“All of us want you to be happy, Fluttershy,” said Twilight as they went, “but I’m not sure this is the answer. Even Celestia’s against it.”

“I appreciate your concern, girls, but I've made up my mind,” she replied, keeping her eyes straight ahead so none of them could see the tears threatening to fall.

They reached the hut a while later and Zecora opened the door, a smile on her face. “Welcome, welcome, come right in. The potion is ready for us to begin.”

The six mares entered the darkened abode, apprehensive of the large pot in the center boiling pink liquid. They watched as Zecora filled a vial and swirled the contents, muttering an unknown chant under her breath. Afterwards she emptied the contents into a bowl made of crystal. The zebra turned and beckoned Fluttershy near.

“Before we proceed, I feel I must ask: Fluttershy, are you sure you are up to this task? The Bonding of Souls will not go away. You will have the Mark ‘til your dying day.”

Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash all looked at her. Fluttershy sent them a false, reassuring smile before turning back to Zecora.

“I’m certain this is what I need to do.” For Discord, she silently added, her heart quietly breaking.

“Very well,” the zebra solemnly said. “Not many decide to be marked with the Soul but if you are sure, please, step up to the bowl.”

Fluttershy took the crystal bowl full of pink liquid, careful not to spill. The potion smelled sweet, the aroma reminding her of something. Cotton candy?

“It’s not going to hurt, is it?” she asked.

“My dear friend, there is no need to fret,” Zecora assured. “The feeling is similar to the Cutie Mark we get.”

“So I just drink this and then the mark will appear?”

Zecora nodded.

Fluttershy stared down at the bowl. She looked at her friends. Pinkie Pie latched herself onto Rainbow Dash, practically squeezing the color out of her.

“Oh, I’m so nervous!” she whispered.

“Pinkie!” Rainbow complained, “Can’t… breathe!”

The party pony let go. “Sorry! Sorry! It’s just that… Oh, Fluttershy, are you sure?”

The yellow pegasus nodded.

“But what about Dis-”

Before Pinkie could finish the sentence Fluttershy tipped the bowl back and downed the contents. Several things happened at once. The drinker’s eyes widened, the other mares in the room clamped their hooves over Pinkie’s mouth, and the door to the hut burst open.

“FLUTTERSHY, WAIT!”

There was a flash of light above the yellow pegasus’s right ear. Fluttershy felt the magic course through her, the Mark feeling exactly like a tender kiss from…

“Discord!” she cried, eyes wide, staring in shock at the Lord of Chaos’ sudden appearance.

A heavy silence fell. No pony moved. Until Pinkie Pie appeared behind Fluttershy, holding up two mirrors so the pegasus and everyone else could see the new symbol on her ear.

It was black. Eight pointed arrows were connected at the center, each point shooting out in a different direction.

“Hey! I’ve seen this mark before!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“You have?” cried Rarity.

“Where?” demanded Twilight as the others rushed forward.

“Hmmm, can’t remember!” Pinkie replied with a shrug.

“Is it somepony we know?” Rainbow asked, fluttering overhead.

“Nopony in Ponyville has a Cutie Mark like that,” said Applejack. “I would know.”

But Fluttershy had stopped looking at the mark’s reflection, focusing instead on the intruder still standing in the doorway. His chest was heaving and his eyes; they were filled with disbelief.

She leaned unconsciously towards him. “Discord?”

The draconequus didn’t answer, his focus completely devoted to her ear, his mouth hanging open wordlessly towards the floor. Everyone in the hut finally turned to look at him but he ignored their stares. Fluttershy took a step forward.

Suddenly he shook his head and cried, “That can’t be right!” And then, without further explanation, he vanished.

Fluttershy’s heart sank and constricted at the same time. Wait; she shouldn’t be having feelings for him anymore. She had a Soul Mark. The pony who had the arrow star on her ear was who she was supposed to be yearning for.

Then why had it felt like him when the Mark appeared?

<><><>

Discord reappeared far underground, deeper even than the bowels of Tartarus, in some kind of enchanted paradise.

A magical reflection of the sun and sky were overhead, the green grass below gently bending in a dancing breeze. Trees surrounded the edges of a lake, the bank covered in fresh wild flowers that nodded their heads in the wind. A quaint little cottage stood on the opposite side of the water. A tall brown alicorn with a mane and tail made completely of fresh plants tended the small garden out front.

Her leafy green hair defied gravity and waved just as Celestia and Luna's. Flowers occasionally sprung into existence on her scalp, traveling down the waves before falling off the ends into the grass, the earth absorbing them hungrily. Her Cutie Mark changed constantly like the tides of the sea from animals to plants to clouds to water formations, etc. Her eyes, frequently shifting from blue to green, looked up at his approach. She smiled and lowered the watering can she’d been using to feed a bed of tulips.

“Why, Discord, I must say I’m surprised to see you. Out of stone already?”

“Do keep up with the times, Mother," he replied. "I’ve been out for a few years now. Although, something tells me you already knew that.”

He looked at her accusingly. She merely smiled. Two lawn chairs magically appeared and she invited him to sit down. After changing the plain yellow fabric of his seat to tie dye, he joined her, conjuring a glass full of chocolate milk.

The pony chuckled, the sound like the chime of a bell, and sipped her own conjured glass of lemonade. “I’m glad you came to visit, son. It’s been too long.”

“Please don’t change the subject.”

“Can’t I reprimand my own son for neglect? It gets awfully lonely down here in the center of the earth.”

Discord frowned sourly, staring down at his glass. “Maybe you should have thought of that before you turned me to stone for a thousand years.”

“That wasn’t me, dear. That was Princesses Celestia and Luna.”

“Oh, sure, place the blame on them,” he grumbled. “I know your magic when I see it, Mother Nature. The Elements of Harmony; you finally found a way to keep me and all of Father’s other creatures in check. Should have known those plunder seeds of his wouldn’t really work.”

His mother sighed. “Cordy, you know as well as I the importance of balance. I caused the Elements of Harmony to grow from that seed all those years ago for the good of the land. Your chaos tantrum severely threw everything out of order. It took a thousand years to shift through it all.”

“Is that why I was finally able to break free? You’d finished tidying things up?”

She nodded. “It also helped that Celestia kept you in the Canterlot Gardens. You were able to meet all your potential suitors at the same time!”

Chocolate milk spewed from Discord’s mouth, the draconequus thumping his chest as he choked and rasped, “My potential WHAT?”

“Suitors,” she repeated. “You know; the Bearers of Harmony.”

Discord’s entire body fell apart, the cubed chunks chaotically toppling off the chair into the dirt. Mother Nature’s horn lit and she began piecing him back together. It didn’t take long. After he was reassembled, however, he remained frozen in complete disbelief.

His mother chuckled into her hoof. “Oh, son, don’t look so surprised. Your opposite is harmony. It’s only natural for you to be attracted to the bearers of it. I was sure you would fall for Magic out of the six, being that you love yours so much.”

Discord’s mouth opened and closed like a codfish before a literal bomb exploded his head, leaving a miniature mushroom cloud coming out of his neck. His mother merely sipped her lemonade at his antics, a smirk lifting the corners of her mouth as his head reappeared.

“You thought I would fall for Twilight?” he shouted.

She continued without answering, her expression one of contemplation. "Although, Laughter and her use of chaos magic would have been an excellent choice too. Generosity was a possibility because of your love for fashion. But Loyalty and Honesty I didn’t have high hopes for, seeing who your father is and how you tend to take after him. But you completely surprised me by choosing Kindness. I suppose it makes sense, seeing that is what you craved above all else from those ponies of mine.”

“Now hold on a minute!” Discord cried, leaping to his feet.

Towering over her in all his menacing majesty, with fangs bared and eyes aflame, the Lord of Chaos snarled. Any other pony would have cowered in terror but, to his immense frustration, all she did was elicit another chuckle.

You,” he spluttered, “You made me suitors?!”

“Come now, dear, did you think I would allow you to live the rest of your life alone?” she asked, finishing her lemonade. “After learning about your chocolate milk lake I had to do something.”

He froze. “You’ve been spying on me?”

The alicorn shrugged unashamedly. “You can’t blame me for worrying. Though your realm isn’t my favorite, I do tend to pop in unseen every now and then.”

The Spirit of Disharmony groaned and sunk back into his chair, his head in his hands. “You weren’t supposed to know about that."

His mother reached over and rubbed his lion paw. “There’s nothing wrong with having a Sorrowing Place, son.”

He shrugged her hoof away and sourly changed the subject. “I cannot believe you made me suitors like I was some sort of prissy little princess to be given in marriage!”

A gold crown appeared on his head while a pink and blue spattered dress belonging to one of the animated princesses in the human world wrapped around his figure. Scowling, Discord took both off and threw them into the lake.

“Ahhh, but you liked the ones I gave," Mother Nature pressed, amused by his shenanigans.

“As friends!” he countered.

“Oh, I think we both know that isn’t true,” she rejoined. “Look me in the eye and tell me that you haven’t been attracted to each of them at least once.”

Discord opened his mouth, closed it, and angrily looked away, crossing his arms over his chest. He hated admitting it, but she was right.

When he first met the Bearers, there were different parts of each he had been attracted to. If he were honest, in the early years, Fluttershy, Twilight, and Pinkie Pie had caught his eye the most; each for a different reason. But, as time went on, Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack became ponies he only loved to vex while Pinkie and Rainbow Dash were just fun to pull pranks with. Only Fluttershy had risen to become the keeper of his heart.

“I may have liked each originally,” he admitted, “But Fluttershy is the only one who ever became something more to me.”

“Which is why the bond is with her,” Mother Nature confirmed.

“So you did do it,” he muttered. “Fluttershy’s Soul Mark-”

“Yes, I used my phenomenal cosmic powers to ensure that whichever pony you chose received that particular Mark; should they have chosen to get it, that is. And I knew Fluttershy would."

"Because you know everything that's going to happen," Discord grumbled. "How utterly boring."

Mother Nature laughed. "To my little Cordy, Spirit of Chaos, I'm sure it is. Though I don't know everything. Just most things." He snorted and rolled his eyes. "It's a beautiful symbol, by the way," she continued, "The Star of Chaos; the true Cutie Mark you would have had had you turned out a pony like me.”

Discord rubbed the back of his neck, a faint blush darkening his cheeks. “While I am grateful for what you did, Mother, I’m not sure it's going to work.”

“Whatever do you mean, son?”

“Have you seen me?” he said, gesturing to himself. “I doubt the ponies will believe one of their own has bonded with the Spirit of Chaos. They’ll think it was a trick!”

“All they have to do is confirm the bond through a simple revelation spell,” she said dismissively.

“Alright,” he said, before continuing bitterly, “But there’s still one major problem.”

“And that is?”

He looked at her angrily as he demanded, “How could you give me a mortal for a soulmate? I know I’ve had moments when you’ve felt the need to discipline me, but a mortal love, Mother? Such an act of cruelty I’d expect from father but from you?”

Mother Nature burst out laughing, derailing the Chaos Lord’s anger. “Oh, my son, do you honestly think I would do such a thing?”

“Yes! That is…until you laughed like that... Now I’m not so sure.”

She smiled, shaking her head and looking at him as if he were a child instead of an ancient spirit. “The moment the Soul Mark appeared on Fluttershy, a part of your immortality fused with her soul.”

Discord’s jaw fell into the dirt. “W-What?"

“Search deep within yourself,” she invited. “You’ll feel a strand of your immortality now connected to her.”

Closing his eyes, he did as asked. Sure enough, he felt the pull on his soul, like a piece of invisible string stretched far and thin across time and space. Fluttershy was on the other end, the light of her soul tied securely to the strand. Completely overwhelmed, Discord looked at his mother, words of gratitude lodged stubbornly in his throat. She smiled knowingly, nodding her head in affirmation.

“I…” he began but choked up.

Coughing, literal words tumbled out of his mouth and into the air, forming different sentences. Confetti burst behind the words while balloons and streamers rained down from the sky.

You’re the best.

I love you.

World’s Greatest Mom.

Thank you!

Mother Nature chuckled as a cape made of every flower in the world draped around her shoulders and a flower crown wove its way into her hair. The air flashed with light as Discord disappeared, knowing that she would more than understand his hasty exit.

Appearing in his house within his own dimension, Discord shed several tears of joy. A plant suddenly burst out of his floor, a huge sunflower blooming before his very eyes. In the center was a note.

You’re welcome, son. Please bring your mate to meet me once you two have settled in. Oh, and your father would love to meet her too. Love forever, Mom.

PS: Don't worry too much about the ponies. They'll grow to accept you two over time. Be happy and don’t you dare release those villains and pretend to be your father's favorite disguise in the mortal realm! Grogar's days ended for a reason and that bell will bring you nothing but grief. If you need further convincing, feel free to visit Thursday next. Until then. Ta!

Author's Note:

I first came across the concept of Discord's parents being Mother Nature and Tartarus while reading the fanfic 'What is This Strange Feeling?' by PonySage86. They inspired me and thus I used a similar idea for my story.
There were a couple of Disney references in this chapter. Did you catch them?
And can anyone remember where Pinkie Pie might have seen Fluttershy's Soul Mark? (Hint: It did make an appearance in the show. Virtual cupcakes for whoever can guess what episode!)