• Published 10th Apr 2022
  • 308 Views, 0 Comments

A Siren Rose - Mystic Sunrise



Ever since becoming a siren, Pearl has tried to find a way to be free once more. Perhaps a trip to see the Dragon Queen will help.

  • ...
21
 0
 308

Journies

"Come now, Pearl. You must have many questions by now?" Summer teased, leading the pair across a seemingly bottomless chasm. Twilight tried not to look down, but once or twice she did, and she could just see distant flickers of flame far below and the distant sounds of industry.

Pearl nodded, trying not to gulp as she looked down from the log bridge they were crossing. "A million and one actually. Hell. I never thought I'd see an eastern dragon in Equestria. How did I miss this?"

Summer giggled. "My kind has always preferred seclusion to spending time with mortals. I do spend much of my time listening to a certain Pegasus who lives by the edge of the forest. Her singing is quite beautiful."

Twilight smiled at this. "Fluttershy has always had a beautiful singing voice. I just wish she would use it more." She gave the dragoness a worried look. "You do not mind that I am coming as well?"

Summer shrugged. "The queen thought that you might do so, and said that you could come as well. She knows how much you love each other. And she is also curious as to how you got that gem."

Twilight winced, for she could hear the anger in her voice, but why did it sound like more than just normal disgust? She pushed the thought aside. "I took them from a trio of sirens called the Dazzlings. I was able to unite all of the pieces after coming back."

Summer growled, and Twilight and Pearl were shocked at the look of fury on her face. "Unnatural creatures. Born from the Father of Lies and his manipulations. I thought their kind died long ago."

Pearl looked down once more as they came to the other side. She could see the hellish glow and the infernal clangor of foundries and forges she could not see. A part of her wanted to join them, but she quashed the idea as soon as it formed. "How do you know that name? I thought it was all just a myth."

Summer shook her head. "My kind remembers the God War, and the Age of Light before it. We remember when Domivar threw down the Wicked Ones and their forces. Valendor was able to curtail the Everfree's growth, but it is only a matter of time before it grows once more."

Twilight's ears fell in horror. "Then this is Tragar. We are between Deiw and Zarak, aren't we?"

Summer nodded sadly. "Yes. And they are expanding once more. A new city has recently been founded. Slazek-Don has gone into overdrive. Klugetown is almost empty of slaves, and the surrounding countries do not have enough to fill their ranks of slaves."

Pearl and Twilight shared worried looks. All of this could only mean one thing, and Celestia and Luna needed to know as soon as possible.

Summer saw their concern and sighed. "I have always found Celestia and Luna to be quite brave to have put down their castle where they did. It took them many years to learn the truth, but they have always fought the good fight." She smiled at Twilight. "I see they have taught you and Princess Cadance well."

Twilight blushed while Pearl rolled her eyes, before poking her Soul Gem. "So, what can Tiamat do for me anyway? If this stupid thing is Abyssal, then I don't know what she can do for me. I really hope I'm wrong though."

Summer looked at it once more, and once again, Pearl thought that there was more to her look than just normal worry. "I am not sure. She did not tell me and seeing as to why she sent me in particular, I had hoped she would."

Pearl gave her a look. "Why did she send you though? I get your river runs right next to Ponyville, but I seriously doubt that's the only reason. And seeing how hard it is for me to not do something, this had better be worth it."

Twilight giggled as she wrapped a wing around her wife. "Oh, I do not know, Rosie. Your singing is much better than it used to be at least."

Pearl just stuck her tongue out at the alicorn, while Summer giggled helplessly. "There is a reason I was chosen in particular. Not just for how close I live to both of you. But that will come in time." She smirked. "Plus, I just love to tease ponies. So, you will just have to wait for now, Pearl Rose."

Pearl groaned in annoyance, while Twilight and Summer both giggled.


The further the trio went from the Rose River, the less and less the influence of the Abyss they could feel. Pearl's anger still burned hot, but now she could control it, at least for the moment.

Summer did not allow them to stop at any point, carrying the two ponies on her back when they began to show signs of falling asleep. "We are still too close to the Heart of the Everfree. It is too dangerous, for there are things there that even I avoid," she said once, as they crossed a clearing.

Pearl looked around them. She could feel the evil and malignancy even from here. "You do all of this by yourself? Isn't there someone else that can help?"

Summer shook her head. "I am alone. Ponies help when they can, even though they do not know they are. Sometimes I wonder if there was meant to be another here as well. But for some reason, it never happened."

At that moment, a family of foxes crossed their path. To the surprise of Twilight and Pearl, they were far larger than the ones they knew around Ponyville. One, the youngest with a forest green coat and amber markings, gave the trio a curious look before his mother moved him along, and they vanished into the brush.

"They grow them big around here," Pearl whistled.

Summer nodded. "Oh yes. They're friendly once you get to know them, however. The youngest seems to like me for some reason. Everfree Foxes are all this size once you get deep enough into the forest."

Twilight made a note to tell Fluttershy about this. Whether her friend would ever get to see one was another matter of course, as she yawned. "How much further? I've lost all track of time in here."

Summer paused for a moment. "A few more hours, if we are lucky. These paths change all of the time. It could be several more hours, or it could be much longer. Two days is what ponies say it is. But that is only a best guess. Many do not even make it this far. Forces of the Abyss are a constant threat."

Pearl yawned. before being caught by Twilight. "Well, I hope it's not too much further. I'm getting bored out of my mind here. I'm almost something happens to liven this up a little."

Summer lifted Pearl up onto her back with a chuckle. "Well then, little Pearl. Rest now. I will wake you when we arrive."

Pearl went to argue, but her drowsiness was too much, and she soon curled up asleep on the dragon's back with a contented sigh.

Twilight cooed at the adorable sight, sharing a smirk with Summer before they moved on once more.

After a few moments, however, Summer gave the alicorn a worried look. "She cannot do this much longer."

Twilight's ears drooped, sighing sadly as she looked up at her wife. "I know. Pearl is the strongest pony I know. She stood up for me so much when we were fillies. Even against unicorns that were way ahead of me at the School of Gifted Unicorns. Even when I brushed her off for so long."

Summer smiled. "But she is fighting a battle against something that is using her greatest strengths against her. I can see it in her eyes. Pearl is loving it more and more. Sirens always start this way. A pony corrupted by a Soul Gem. They fight it at first, but they soon learn to love the feeling it gives them. Once they assume their siren form for the first time, there is no going back. To remove the gem at this moment is to kill them."

Twilight's head fell, as her tears finally fell. "I was afraid of that. Even if Tiamat can do something for my Rosie, I will never forgive myself for doing this to her. I would gladly trade myself and let the damn thing take me instead. Or I would gladly join her in damnation. I can't lose her." She sniffed. "I just can't. We were supposed to be happy together for all time. Start a family."

Summer felt her sorrow rise at hearing the desperation and heartbreak in the alicorn's voice, and it broke her heart. She could only hope that her queen knew what she was doing. Not just for Pearl's sake, but for Twilight's and the family they wanted to start.