• Published 8th Apr 2022
  • 353 Views, 4 Comments

Two Rainbows - BioQuillFiction



Commissioned Story about how Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles met.

  • ...
1
 4
 353

Chapter 2: Family

Bow Hothoof

Dinner time was family time at Bow's house. It was a chance for the usually busy family. The dinner table was set, a meal of mushroom stew ready to eat.

Bow took his seat at the table, as did his family around him. In front of him was his father, Cloudfall. He was a typical family stallion. He worked in the Weather Factory cubicle offices processing requests and orders from the various cities and towns within Equestria. It was a tedious but necessary job that paid well enough for the work.

Next to Cloudfall was his wife and Bow's mother, Rainwell. She was a stay at home mother, filling her days with either housework or hobbies as her children grew and got older.

Lastly, seated next to Bow was his younger brother, Speedy Hothoof. The two brothers looked quite alike, save for Speedy's mane only being a two tone blue over multicolored like his brother's.

"So, how was the first day back for you two?" Cloudfall asked his sons.

"I met my friends again and we mostly just talked about the sports seasons. I still need to get my physical so I can compete this year." Bow answered.

"I just caught up with my friends about what we did over the vacation and got a few review sheets for homework." Speedy replied.

"Finish that homework?" Rainwell asked.

"Almost mom."

"No homework for you tonight Bow?" Cloudfall questioned.

"Just a few things from… Mr. Volare…" Bow sighed.

"Ah, got him again this year huh? I know he's strict but he's also fair Bow. Just don't drop below a C and you can keep playing on the sports teams."

"I still say he hates me." Bow huffed.

"That's just tough love Bow. He is your teacher, and the Hoofball coach, he can't play favorites no matter how good you are at the sport." Cloudfall stated. "My coach back in high school was the same way, and sometimes it did feel like he hated me. Truth was he wanted what was best for me. Had to keep my grades up as well as make time for practice and games. It was hard, no question about that, but those skills helped a lot as an adult, managing time between work and fun."

Bow sighed, nodding as he continued to eat his meal. He still didn't like it, but he would just have to learn to best manage his time between work and play.

"So, what happened to that filly you had a crush on?" Cloudfall asked, nearly making Bow spit out his soup.

"Dad!" Bow said, coughing a bit.

"Oh the little cutie with the braces, I wonder if she finally got them off?" Rainwell asked.

"I-I don't know, and I don't even know her name mom. She's a filly I helped a few times when some bullies were being jerks." Bow stated, blushing red.

"And I'm proud you did, but we saw the way you looked at her a few times. You did like her." Cloudfall said with a grin. "My son is a jock into cute little nerdy fillies. Adorable."

"Oh it's just like how we were before. Of course you had the braces back then hun." Rainwell stated.

"And you were the track and field captain. Still amazed you went out with me." Cloudfall said.

"Yes well I had my type and past experiences with other athletes were horrible. You treated me right and made me feel loved. And those smarts of yours got us this amazing home."

"It helped that the housing market was low at the time."

Bow just sighed.


Windy Whistle

Windy's home was a simple, one story, two bedroom house. Made from clouds, like many. Her family was by no means wealthy, but they managed by. Her mother, a part time housewife, part time self defense instructor at the local gym. Her name was Alchemy Arts. Despite all her skills and talents, she prefered motherhood and being there with her family.

Her father was a larger stallion, for a Pegasus, easily about twice the average pegasus stallion's height. He was not a big talker, preferring to let actions speak for him, but his words when used get to the point faster. His name was Cutlery, and he worked in a small restaurant within Cloudsdale proper.

As Windy sat around their small table, her mother and father before her, seated next to her was her younger sister, Windmill Whistle. She was only ten, and she and Windy shared a bedroom.

"So, how was your first day back Windy, Windmill?" Alchemy Arts asked.

"It was fun, I got to see all my old friends!" Windmill said happily.

"I was gonna try out for… cheerleading…" Windy said, a small blush on her face.

"Ah, couldn't talk to the colt then?" Arts asked her eldest daughter.

"... Yeah…" Windy sighed.

"Well, cheerleading is a good way to grab a colt's attention. I know your father enjoyed them back in our youth."

Her husband Cutlery cleared his throat, a blush on his face but gave a simple nod. "Is he playing Hoofball?"

"Yes, and I'm going to use Cheer practice and games as an excuse to finally try and talk to him. I spent years being overlooked and now that I'm finally out of my awkward phase I really want to finally ask him on a date." Windy explained.

"But you can't talk to him, so you're hoping maybe if while on Cheer, he starts a conversation with you or at least you finally get comfortable around him to start one yourself." Arts stated, earning a nod from her daughter.

"Why do you like this colt sis?" Windmill asked.

"A lot of little things really. Back in my awkward phase he was nice to me. He didn't laugh or make jokes about my braces or acne or tease me. He even stood up for me a few times but mostly he's just a good pony. He's a bit like dad, but more talkative." Windy stayed.

"Like me how?" Cutlery asked.

"He's really into sports, he's supportive and kind, he's a bit bigger than most colts in school and he always does what's right."

"Hm, that does sound like a good colt."

"If you do date him, we'll be happy to meet him. I bet your father and him would get along well and if he wants, I can always use a new student at the gym." Arts chuckled.