• Published 8th Apr 2022
  • 347 Views, 4 Comments

Two Rainbows - BioQuillFiction



Commissioned Story about how Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles met.

  • ...
1
 4
 347

Chapter 3: Before The Date

It was a cool afternoon after school. Bow and his friends were resting for a few minutes from the practice. They entertained themselves watching the Cheerleaders.

"Man, the cheerleaders are looking fine~" SkyScraper said.

Bow didn't say anything, just kept his eyes on that one mare. He saw her around. His locker was near hers and now he saw her at practice. More than once his wandering eye got him tackled, a hoof ball to the face or he ran into something or someone.

“Yeah…she does…” He muttered dreamily.

"And the nerdy filly loving bow finally has eyes on a hottie." SkyScraper said with a chuckle.

“Shut up Sky.” Bow huffed.

*Oh please, you were crushing on that nerdy filly back in middle school and even elementary school for years and never even talked to her. Still don't see how you found those weird pigtails and massive braces adorable."

Bow frowned. “She was adorable, and she still looks adorable…even if she’s…not at this school…”

"Uh, Bow?" Silver spoke up. "You do know that, that is Windy Whistles right?"

"What? No way." Sky said. "That cheerleader is not Windy Whistles."

"Yeah, she is. We have the same science class and that's what she answers to in roll call." Silver replied plainly. "Looks like she grew out of that awkward phase."

“B-but…” Bow blinked, looking at the mare in question, trying to find some comparison between the beautiful cheerleader and the adorable filly he used to know.

"Well, I guess the mane and coat colors are identical…" Sky said with a grumble.

"And the cutie mark." Silver added.

"I never looked at her cutie mark now that I think about it." Sky said with some thought. "Huh… guess puberty was very kind to her once all… that from before finally got wrapped up."

“And she’s mine, so back off.” Bow stated, before putting a hoof in his mouth at openly stating that as he felt his entire face heat up in embarrassment.

“Woah, that is the most assertive I’ve heard you be about… anything.” Sky said.

“Yeah.” Silver agreed.

"S-sorry guys." Bow said nervously. "Just…I guess I'm a little annoyed that I've missed her for so long…in plain sight toosight too."

“Well, looks like you might have finally grown the testes enough to talk to her.” Sky said.

“Shut up.” Bow rolled his eyes. “But…I should go and ask her out though…”

“That would be best. Her being a cheerleader now means someone else might ask her out.” Silver said.

“And that’s not going to happen.” Bow said readily. “I’m going to ask her out…and now.” He said as he started to trot over to the mare of his dreams.

“Don’t chicken out!” Sky called out as Bow began walking over to the cheerleaders.

Once he was in the area, Bow noticed a mare next to Windy elbowed her. She turned and looked at him and he froze a bit. The Windy Whistles he remembered were all grown up and into her looks. But her eyes remained the same.

His throat felt dry as he tried to figure out what to say at that moment…

“Wanna date?” Bow asked, not caring if he was smooth, not caring if it was garbage, his head was empty as he stared into the wonderful depths of Windy’s eyes.

“...Sure…” Windy said.

”Holy cow she actually said yes!!!” Bow mentally screamed, even if he managed to not show it through his body.

“Cool.” Bow said. “When are you free?”

“...Saturday.” She replied.

“The park?”

“It’s a date.”


As Bow walked away, Windy was lost in her own world. Her mind felt the conversation and the rest of the day pass in a haze of blurs and garbled words. Finally, on her walk home, she was brought back to Equestria by a hard, full force slap to the face from a hoof. “Earth to Windy! You’ve been on brain dead autopilot for hours!” Storm yelled, shaking her friend to emphasize her point.

“Bow asked me out on a date, Storm!” Windy said, trying to stop her friend from shaking her. “He asked me out on a date! I’m gonna date the stallion of my dreams!”

“Yeah, I know, I was there. I was also there when you nearly walked off a cloud, nearly walked into several walls, and when you walked over that pile of pega-pup poop.” Storm said, motioning to the small trail of dog poop that Windy made from what was now stuck to her hoof.

“...EWWWWW!” She whined in disgust.

“So what happened, he said ‘let’s date’ and your brain just shut down out of pure joy or because you failed to process that this actually happened?”

“Uh…yeah…” Windy admitted sheepishly.

Storm rolled her eyes. “Well, you got a date in the park with the stallion you’ve been crushing on forever, now comes the hard part.”

“And what’s that?” Windy asked. “Besides…trying to figure out what to wear…”

“If your brain does that when he asks you out, what in Equestria is it gonna do when you two are alone together?”

Storm immediately saw steam billow out of Windy’s head at that. “Uh…”

"Look, he's a Colt, and if anyone knows a colt's brains, or lack thereof, it's my sister. Plus now that he's asked you out I imagine she is dying to get involved directly now."

"He is mine." Windy stated bluntly.

"Involved to help you, dummy." Storm said, giving Windy a light whack to her friend's head with a wing. "Honestly, you can be so dense sometimes."

“Oh hush you.” Windy huffed. “This is a literal dream come true…I don’t want it ruined…”

"Then let's get you home, wash the eww off your hoof then plan this date of yours. Saturday is only two days away and between then and now I expect you to flirt with that Colt. Don't just blush and let your brain shut down."

“Fine fine…” Windy relented.


I said "let's date" and that worked?! Stupid! How the hell did that work?! How bluntly did my brain go?! Bow mentally stressed over his attempt to ask Windy out. It worked, for which he was thankful, but he hated his execution of it with a passion. It sounded so blunt and robotic, like he didn't even care.

"Bro, the deed is done, she said yes, stop having a meltdown." Sky said.

“I literally just said ‘let’s date’, how in Celestia’s flank am I supposed to be a good boyfriend if I can’t be more subtle?” Bow whined.

"I dunno, maybe your zero experience with fillies has a part to play?" Sky offered. "Look, you'll be going to a park. I've taken several fillies on dates through there. It's a good safe place for a first date. All you need to do is try and not sound like a machine giving orders."

“I mean…I’ll try, but honestly it just sucks that…the mare of my dream’s was literally standing right next to me the entire time and I never noticed…”

"We get it, she got hot." Sky said with an eye roll. "Okay, so real talk, how much about her do you really know?"

“Sadly…not much.” Bow sighed. “I got bullies off of her when we were younger a lot but…that’s about it.”

"Right, I remember that. They were making fun of her looks… well, as this date of yours goes on, complement her appearance. Mane, coat, teeth, eyes. Make her feel beautiful cause a filly that spent her foalhood being made fun of for appearance will love hearing she's a looker from a Colt." Sky started. "Make sure to ask her things, learn about her and her interests. Like, future goals, favorite music and songs, foods, all that stuff."

“I’m sure I can talk about how beautiful she is for hours.” Bow said honestly.

"Try not too cause then you will sound obsessed and possibly stalkerish. Just try and get to know her but make sure she is just as interested in getting to know you. Dated a filly once who talked all about herself and didn't seem to care about hearing about me so that ended badly."

“Yes, I remember that.” Bow nodded. “Had to hear you talk my ear’s off for a good portion of our hangout time when that happened.”

"Also try and have some cash for snacks or a meal or something."

“Yeah…and even if I forget, my parents would be super excited to hear I’m finally dating someone…”

"Probably. Your mother will definitely be excited and your dad will definitely wanna meet her when/if you two hit it off."

“Oh yeah…those are gonna be some awkward conversations…” Bow admitted sheepishly.

"Did they know you had a crush on Windy?"

“They knew I had a crush on someone…no, I’m not taking a bet that they knew who she was.” Bow stated bluntly.

“Darn it…” Sky grumbled.

“But…let’s hope for the best I suppose, me and Windy have two days to…figure all this out…”

"That's good. So, how are you going to stop from having your brain go into robot mode?"

“I don’t know.” Bow admitted bitterly.

"I'd recommend coffee but then you might not be able to shut up… plus you handle caffeine crashes horribly. Huh. I might know a pony that can help you gain some experience In talking to her."

“Who’s that?” Bow inquired, wanting any and all help he could get to make this date special for Windy.

"Remember that cousin of mine? The unicorn that was really good with illusions?"

“Oh yeah…hopefully he doesn’t jump into his ‘stage performer’ mode again…” Bow sighed, cause while he did enjoy spending time with Jack Pot, sometimes he could be a little overbearing. “Would be interesting to see what female illusion he can come up with.”

"He's actually made several. He wants to perform in Las Pegasus someday so he's trying to make sure all his illusions look, and even sound real."

“I’m sure he can do it.” Bow said, knowing how good Jack Pot was and how fervent he was to master his craft.

"Cool. I can send him an express letter and he can be here tomorrow morning. I imagine he can probably get a few gigs here easily. Not many unicorns come to Cloudsdale the more he padds out his resume the better his chances of working in Las Pegasus are."

“Sounds like a plan.” Bow nodded. “Wouldn’t be surprised if he just appeared in a puff of his smoke glitter bombs again.”

"Better not. Mom is still vacuuming the glitter out of the carpet from his last entrance."

“Oof, that’s gotta suck.”

We each laughed at the memory. I was looking forward to things to come.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment