• Published 28th Mar 2022
  • 315 Views, 6 Comments

Wings of Love - Starry Hope



2 ponies, 2 lives and a single event to bring each other together. Sweet Nightingale and Rage Quit tell the tale of their lives before they met each other, when they were seperated and what their lives were like before they fell in love.

  • ...
2
 6
 315

1 10 years before I met you (Sweet Nightingale)

BEEP...BEEP...BEEP My alarm went off to my disapproval and I just wanted to rest my head back down and sleep more. BEEP...BEEP...BEEP It just never wanted to stop, the alarm would never end. BEEP...BEEP.... BEE I turned it off as soon as the third time it rang and wiped my eyes groaning not wanting to get up. But I knew that it would be fruitless to argue with myself and just opened my tired eyes and got up leaning my tired head up off the so warm and comfy pillow. I looked at my room, messy and unorganized and sighed at the sight. The room was a mess, beyond anything I usually had it to be in prior times. Artwork was scattered everywhere, books were hanging in places that they shouldn't belong in. My clothes were scattered Didn't I JUST clean this room? I muttered to myself as I just got up and trotted over to the mirror in my room to dress myself up. (To the best of my ability) Upon getting to it I could see the disaster of my appearance. My mane and tail were scattered all around the place.

The mane was all puffy and looked scattered all around the place. My tail was in the same condition but worse than my mane could ever be. I just tried my best in order to make it look better, but my attempts were as fruitless as a Earth Pony trying to learn to fly without wings. I just flattened the mane so it looked the best to my original mane design. For my tail I just did a twirled design around for it and even then some of the unkept parts stayed, but at least it was better than how it was previously. Well at least it's better than how it previously looked like. I muttered to myself as I stared back in the mirror again and at least liked how it was. I put down the brush and then made my bed up so it was at least decently done just liked how my parents used to have me make it. Cleaning my room was a chore to say the least but doing it at least made it easier to see my things or helped me keep my composure with my work. I didn't need much else to do after cleaning the things in my room, from the endless artwork ideas to my songs that I wrote.

But then I saw out of all the papers on the floor and even my table was a white letter with a golden seal on it. When did I receive this? I thought to myself as I stared at it with curious eyes and opened it.

Dear Ms. Nightingale.
It's with great humble words that we speak that your submission for your admission to the Canterlot College for the prestige minds, has been reviewed and we are great to say that you have been approved. We have seen your hard work and commitment from your previous schools and jobs. We believed that you would be the perfect candidate for the Canterlot art program. We wish to see your presence during the orientation on the 5th of Windigo.
Mystic Heart. Principal and administrator for the Canterlot College for the prestige minds.

My heart dropped as soon as I read the letter and nearly fainted from the fact that I was selected to be apart of it. "I can't believe I did it!" I yelled at the top of my lungs and jumped up and down happy at it not wondering if ponies could hear me. But once I calmed down my mind and emotions I read the date one last time... 5th of Windigo. "Wait, that's TODAY!" I said and felt my heart drop a second time. I was way to worried about being late on my first day and jumped scrambling trying to pack my things, running into everything making my once clean room back into the mess it was. I'll worry about you later. I muttered as I kept grabbing things like my notebooks, art equipment and my bags to carry it. Once I finished I checked the time and noticed that I had some time left to get there before I was late... on my FIRST day no less. I opened my door, locked it and ran outside not talking to anypony and upon reaching a good spot, opened my wings tempting to fly there and scrape some extra minutes.

But my books weighed me down and I just ditched that idea and galloped towards the college making it to the entrance by the skin of my tail. I quickly made it to class (After getting lost and having to ask a teacher to find my class) and right as I made it into the room, the bell rang. I quickly ran into a seat, sat down and threw my bag on the table and pulled out everything that I thought I needed. Then the door opened one more time and I saw a unicorn come in who either was a teacher or some administrator. "Good morning everypony, it's a great honor to see aspiring artist and eager ponies searching for aspiration here. But I want all of you to show me and this college responsibility and a sense of moral obligation. We want to provide you all with a great time here to allow you to learn, grow and follow your dreams. But we cannot do that when you do not show us the same." The pony in the front said as he made a bunch of scrolls appear in front of us. "Here is your rules and guidelines for the college.

Take the time to read over them and once you sign this paper, come up here and deliver it to me and receive your student card. And also for everypony to know, my name is Astral Storm." Astral said as he laughed and sat down in his seat in the front and I grabbed my pencil and opened the scroll only to see just one sentence on it. Do you accept the terms and conditions of the following...wait, what terms? I muttered as I turned the scroll inside and out trying to figure out what is the terms to it or if it was some kind of very hard test. But as I sat down I noticed some ponies getting antsy and signing the page and then walked up and handed it. But the teacher simply turned his head and held the papers in the air and then put them in a folder and asked for them to head outside. Once they did and the door closed right behind him, Astral used his horn and the door seemed to vanish and walked back to the front. "Well now that we got the ponies who clearly failed their test... let us begin with the real orientation."

Astral said and I watched as the scroll seemed to vanish in front of my eyes as I stared in wonder. "The terms and conditions are a mere way to worm out those who came here for fame and glory, the antsy never win any battles and usually are the first to go." Astral said as he used his horn one more time and handed us another scroll and upon opening it this time was only 2 words. I accept, I muttered as it stared straight at me and I didn't hesitate to write my name on it, but wondered if this was another test. "Oh for anypony who is wondering if this is another test, like you Ms. Nightingale. Don't worry about failing for signing this." Astral said with a grin and my ears dropped being called out like that. I looked at the page and hesitated on writing my name and I saw as everypony else did and he handed them their card and walked into another door and I never saw them again. Then there is just me... does this mean, I failed?

I thought to myself and Astral just sat there with a paper in his hoofs reading something while I sat there waiting on something to happen. "WAIT FOR US!" I heard a male voice scream at the top of their lungs, the mere sound could deaf a filly in seconds. OW, my ears, is that pony insane? I muttered and Astral eyes and ears perked as 2 stallions came bolting inside. There was a greyish stallion with a blue coat on, mane and tail all scattered and wide eyes, he looked the most worried out the 2 of them. His cutie mark was a red flame in almost a lightning bolt shape and if he wore anything else, I wouldn't have seen it. Then there was a black stallion with a green mane and short green tail, exact same color. His cutie mark was a game controller and cause he wore no uniform or coat or anything. Seeing it was as clear and honestly the idea on what his destiny was with that, was quite the mystery. Mr. Astral didn't bother to stop them with magic or control the situation and just watched as the tumbled over one and each other until they were right in front of me. Were these 2 out of their minds?! Do they even realize how late they are!? I thought to myself as the sight of them being so incredibly late was almost unheard of. Class started at 8:30am and it was almost 12:00pm in the day.

And this was the FIRST day of school, good way to make such a great reputation of yourself by being late. "Ah, Mr Rage and Mr Bolt. Fancy seeing you both, at this time." Astral said with a look that if he was facing me, I would've dropped down and almost would be to scared to talk. "I...uh, we um... kind of slept in." Bolt said (If that was his full name, I couldn't be sure.) and the apparent Rage the green maned pony just stared at me, opened eyes.Okay, that is kind of creepy. Would you kindly tilt your head and focus on your friend or whoever it is? I said to myself hoping that the giant nod with my facial appearence would show that I wasn't into whatever game he had, or I didn't want to be dragged into whatever crazy thing they had going for them. "Well, I can't and shouldn't be allowing late students to be able to continue the program, but because I have heard good news about you Rage. I'll let this slide once and only once. Pull a stunt like this again and I'll have you out this door faster than a speeding pegasus."

Astral said with a stern look on his face. Rage and Bolt the 2 late ponies sat right behind me and I could feel as if they were watching me. I was the only mare in a room full of stallions, which either made me uncomfortable or very out of place. I signed the paper and gave it over to Astral and right behind me, Rage dropped his paper right beside mine. He laughed as Astral sighed and handed us our cards which were... blank? Wait, why were they blank? Does this mean there is ANOTHER test to complete? I muttered to myself to Rage's laughter and then Bolts looks of concern as we stood there wondering why this meant. "Head out the right door and hang a left once you pass the Celestia statue, use that card to enter and make sure not to lose it." Astral said and then out of nowhere he began to fade away. "What is happening!?" Bolt looked worried as he tried to fix the problem but Astral laughed. "This is merely a projection, I am home nice and comfy watching you all here." Astral said and with a bright light he was gone.

"Hang a left at the Celestia statue, I don't remember seeing a Celestia statue?" I said and the other 2 stared also at me wondering hut decided to just to go ahead and try to find it. We trotted around for a good 15-25 minutes looking around for anything that was close to what we were suppose to find. But once we got to the main lobby we found the Celestia statue, positioned nice and beautiful like how a princess usually looks like. Then we looked to the left and found the door that held nothing to open it, no keyhole or even handle. "You think we made a wrong turn somewhere?" Rage said as I stared at the door that just never opened. I held out the card and noticed something on it that wasn't on it before. There was a picture of a door handle and when I held it to the door, either it was magic or some kind of spell but when I returned my eyes to it, the door suddenly had a door handle. Okay... what is going on?! I said to myself in complete shock. "Did anypony else notice that the door had no handle and NOW magically has a handle?"

Bolt said still trying to comprehend the mystery that laid in front of us. But I didn't take the time to wonder curiously and grabbed the handle and then out of nowhere Rage had his hoof on top of mine. "Uh, oh sorry. I..uh, didn't mean to.. y'know, touch your hoof like that." Rage said with a awkward chuckle and I sighed and opened the door and noticed it to be a gym. There was students all lined up and even some who were looking quite agitated at something. "So those are the 3 final ponies, I expected some run on the mill mares who were more focused on looking all pretty than them." I heard a stallion mutter under his breath and I wanted to turn my head and get angry, but I just ditched it knowing that it would be fruitless to try and argue with him. We all stood there waiting for something to happen and then noticed that same pony again from the main classroom appearing. "I want to say thank you all for coming here and passing our main test. We are glad to see such proud and aspiring souls to join this journey we have set for you.

To let you know, there will be NO more tests and upon taking your student picture, you can leave and head home right away." Astral said as he left, apparently in my theory this was the real one. Everypony was happy to finally be able to move or even get to leave the college for the day. I watched as everypony walked over to the front and took their pictures and I tried to look better than I did right now. But by the time I got there I was not looking the best and just sat down and the photographer looked at me with utter shock at how I look. "Are you sure you want this to be your student pic? You know we don't change it after you take it?" She said and I nodded and tried to look my best. At least I can just take the pic and never show it. Not like it will be burned into the college forever? I thought to myself as I stared at the lens and then out of nowhere. "WATCH OUT!!" A familiar voice screamed and out came a black coat stallion with a green mane.

FLASH

The camera went right off and I looked at what was Rage staring at me slightly chucking and I didn't know what to do. He was on top of me and I blushed at it. "Oooooh, look at those 2. Future couple everypony." I heard students muttering and others laughing and I just moved Rage and got up and redesigned my mane and tail once more and got up. What in Celestia's golden hooficure was that!? I thought to myself still shocked that it even happened. "Uhh, so here is your student card. Don't lose it alright." She said as she handed my card and I looked at it with utmost horror. There was I with a surprised face with a hoof in my face and Rage screaming as one hoof covered my face and the other hitting my face as he was leaning forward. I groaned and just walked away and Rage tried to catch up with me. "Ms. Nightingale I am SO sorry that it happened. You see Bolt pushed me and I.."

He said but I stopped him and just kept walking away until I made it to the gym exit when I turned back. I saw Rage staring at me with a blank expression and didn't move, even if I tried to show a reason for him to leave me alone. He was committed and didn't move from his spot. "Y'know that if you want to apologize, then let me join your picture." I said and Rage's ears perked in curiosity and worry. He just nodded and agreed to the terms and he sat down and I was beside him. "Alright, well if we have 2 of then for this picture. Then I will write a note on the back detailing who this is." The photographer said and he nodded and I snickered.You're in for a REAL treat Rage. I said to myself not wanting him to know my trick I was gonna pull. As soon as the camera was ready I took my hoof and pushed it right into Rage's face and then pulled out my other hoof and rubbed his mane with it.

FLASH

The camera went off and upon it I could hear a burst of laughter coming from behind me. "Look at you face Rage, you should've seen it. OH wait lady show me his card I want to see it again." I heard Bolts voice coming from the back and when I turned my face to Rage he just smirked and got up and claimed his card and showed me it. "Now we know that we had not the best pic. Does that count as a apologie?" Rage said holding his hoof out for what looked like a shake of saying sorry. I shook his hoof and he laughed and then walked away with Bolt and then I walked the other way heading home. "See you in class." Rage said and I didn't turn my head towards them but let out a slight smirk and a chuckle as I opened the gym door and walked out of the college.

Passing trees and endless paved roads I didn't expect much else to be interesting for me. My heart races 2 steps ahead and the thought of the 2 of them. No, get it out of your head. You're not friends, just ponies who met each other. I muttered as I kept walking but I just couldn't stop thinking about them. I walked inside my place (Fiddling with the key for a couple minutes cause my hooves kept shaking) I dropped my heavy bag full of my stuff on the ground and watched as all the stuff just fell on the ground and just left it there. But I just stopped moving from doing anything else and went into my bag and pulled out my student card and looked back at it. "Rage Quit is it? Well, your quite the stallion." I said then caught my head back from the fantasy I dreamed of. Get him out of your head. He's not for you... you're better than that Nightingale I said not wanting anything to do with him. Me with Rage, get your head out of the gutter. I muttered to myself and couldn't stop thinking of the 2 of them, Rage especially.

But after cleaning things up and making the once messy place into the more cleaner room that I wanted it to be like. I tried to get the images out of my head but I couldn't, no matter how many times I tried. But I thought that maybe doing some artwork would calm my mind at all. Unpacking the new stuff that came previously prior to this, which was mostly a new canvas and art equipment. Staring back at the blank white sheet I held the brush handle in my mouth and stared at it not sure on what to draw.Maybe a phoenix... or a stallion staring at a sunset. Or maybe.... those 2.... AGH! I screamed as I threw the brush on the floor for the first time in almost 2 years. Why can't I get them out of my head? There just ponies i met in class, not like friends just regulars. I said to myself but the more I threw them out of my head. The harder they sticked. I just grabbed the brush from the ground and began to paint when I finished and after 30 minutes I stared at the artwork.

There was 2 ponies sitting by a sunset on a cliff holding each other. But there mane and tails were blocked by the light of the sunset, which made the curiosity peaked for this artwork. I just held it up and put it by the others to sit and rested my tired head. Thinking about class, doing those tests and even... them, was more than my weak mind today could take. Maybe a day in class will throw them out of my imagination and I could go on living my life. Muttering to myself just made me sound insane but honestly, it did more than it could. I just sat down more and wrote in my journal for the start and drew Rage and Bolts cutie mark on the bottom and upon me noticing it. I erased it as soon as I did. I just wanted to sleep and even jumping in my bed and laying my head down also, nothing was curing this unease or thought in my head. Snap out of it Nightingale, your barn door doesn't swing that way. Just forget them. I muttered and then rested my head once more and then it came but I ignored the thoughts and FINALLY fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Journal #1

"I think the hardest test today was JUST getting through signing my terms and conditions.Mr Storm was the most brutal teacher ever and having him as my main teacher has to be the most harshest pony ever, but he was kind when that pony came in... what was his name again? OH right, Rage Quit... such a strange name for him. But I guess we all are born differently than what we can predict. But when I met Rage for the first time I think I could figure out who he was from the first sight. He was one of those ponies already tail first in techy books and even trying to make some kind of video games (If I knew what it would do for a career, I would gladly say it.) But i think Rage saw me as some kind of very smart Pegasus and the way he was looking at me, though creepy... I didn't mind it at all. I do wish he wouldn't look at me like that all the time and would focus on his work. But I can't get their image out of my head and just the thought of it was quite the thing I had and I wanted to know why I had these emotions. I never loved them or considered them friends just students. So why do I have these thoughts? I just need to get over them and maybe just going back to class or drawling more, maybe I can forget it.

Well time to rest my head and get ready for my first day of class tomorrow, hope things go well here. if things go correctly, I can finally achieve what I was always wanting to do.

Sweet Nightingale (5th-Wendigo)