• Published 24th Mar 2022
  • 128 Views, 6 Comments

Dreamer's Travels - Lost_Kitten



A pony with a few bits and a dream goes on a journey to record stories from around the world, and educate the masses on efficient governance.

  • ...
 6
 128

Chapter V: Twilight at Twilight

The pair of Pegasi flew towards the Ponyville Library, which was hewn from a hollowed-out tree. The cyan mare with a multicolored mane flew much faster, eclipsing the distance in seconds, while the marble-colored colt did his best to keep up, panting as he flew.

This colt was Dreamer Glisten, an academic and scholar of the social sciences, born in Cloudsdale, who studied in Canterlot, and had traveled now to Ponyville for some field research. Night had fallen on his first day in town, and it was time for him to find somewhere to stay. That somewhere, Rainbow Dash had assured him, could very well be the library.

Rainbow Dash arrived first, by a long shot, and flourished her wings casually, spiralling up around the hollowed tree and plunging backward when she'd made a full circumnavigation, landing on the ground right next to Dreamer when he arrived.

"Nice trick!" He rasped between heavy breaths. He shook the sweat from his tail and mane, before approaching the door of the oaken library.

"I know!" Rainbow boasted as she trotted beside him. Dreamer raised his hoof to knock on the door, and when it opened, it had been answered by a sleepy-looking baby dragon with blue scales and a green frill on his head.

"Good evening, we're closed." He didn't close the door though but waited for Dreamer to speak. Before the colt could speak, the baby dragon recognized Rainbow Dash, and waved. His expression became a chipper smile.

"Hey Spike!" The mare spoke, her smile softening.

"Hey there! I don't recognize your friend here." Spike replied.

"It's his first day in Ponyville, and he needs somewhere to stay. I was wondering if you had any space in the library for a bookish colt to lay his head." She explained. Spike stepped out of the doorway to let the two in and called upstairs.

"Hey Twilight, there's someone here who'd like to see you." Appearing at the top of the staircase was a lavender mare, a unicorn, with a straight mane, and a cutie mark in the shape of a star. Her eyes were wide and curious. Her gaze was friendly. She spoke.

"Oh, I wasn't expecting anyone. Do they know the library's closed?" She asked. Spike replied:

"He does, he's just new in town and was wondering if we had space for him to stay."

"Oh! I'd love to talk!" Seeing the colt entering the library, she exclaimed. "Hi! I'm Twilight Sparkle, it's nice to meet you."

"I'm Dreamer Glisten. We have synonymous surnames, it would seem." He smiled, and she returned it.

"That we do! Our first names are also at least tangentially comparable too!" She trotted downstairs to welcome Dreamer into the library, and felt a little guilty about putting off cleaning up the library until tomorrow. It looked like a disaster area, with books strewn every which way, and extinguished candles lying about the place. Dreamer didn't seem to mind. He idly examined the shelves and rows, occasionally remarking on a particular title she had in stock. It was only after Dreamer tripped and fell over a stack of books while absentmindedly pacing as they conversed that the pair decided to study quietly, get some rest, and continue talking come morning.